If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Mother, We're Earth Bound - Level Grinding

InstaTrentInstaTrent Opinion GuyRPGamer Staff
edited July 2015 in Latest Updates
Level Grinding returns this month to discuss Gears of War 4, terrible PC ports, and Kickstarter. Oh, and Earthbound. We love Earthbound.

Level Grinding

If I could ask you readers some questions this week, they would be:

- Are you at all excited for Gears 4?

- What are the worst PC ports of popular games?

- Did you back Shenmue III? Does the involvement of third-parties matter?

- What are the chances of Mother 3 being released in the West?
"To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

Comments

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    I don't play FPS's. The last FPS I played was Portal, which is not really an FPS. That's probably why I enjoyed it.

I don't buy AAA PC games. I've had no problems.
    You mentioned that you can request a refund. This is the right action for anyone involved.
    PC gamers have it better than console gamers, I think. For a number of reasons that are fully explored on the internet. There might be a thread about it somewhere on this forum, but I don't think so.

I backed two Kickstarter projects: Planetary Annihilation and Half Genie Hero. For one I was dissatisfied with quality and for the other, I was dissatisfied with schedule. I also backed Ground Floor, a business-themed worker placement board game (physical product), and that was actually pretty fun. I suggest following the following rules:
    1) Never pledge to a project over its funding level
    2) Withdraw pledges from projects once they reach their funding level
    Creators have a vision and need a certain amount of money to realize it. If they get more than that, the vision changes, and it often takes longer for the new vision to be realized. Kickstarter does a poor job of accommodating this reality.

I like the idea of Patreon. You are paying for the periodic production of a thing, and you're in control. If the creator doesn't produce the thing, then you withdraw your support. Also, it makes me feel like I'm a real patron - one who sponsors the production of art.

Creators MUST involve third parties. They cannot provide what's needed on their own, basically all the time.
    The creator needs to be sure backer rights (to receive product) are respected when negotiating with third parties. I don't think this has been a problem in the past. The more common problem is the creator didn't have a small enough vision, couldn't realize it, and therefore couldn't provide the product.
  • LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    1. What's that?
    2. I don't play PC games.
    3. I've never backed anything on kickstarter and never will. Investors should receive a return on investment if a product makes a profit. You could fund something for a few hundred thousand, have it make several million, and the investors would still receive only their promised bonuses which aren't even worth the asking price. Also, I didn't play Shenmue, so why would I? I'm not saying it's a scam. People know what they're doing and consider it worth it fine. However, you use my money to fund your project, I expect a cut if it does well.
    4. Possibly? I'd say 50-50.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    1. No, not my preferred genre.

2. I'm going to call out any PC game, port or not, with the digital rights management program SecuROM. To quote wikipedia, "SecuROM has generated controversy because it is not uninstalled upon removal of the game. A 2008 class-action lawsuit was filed against Electronic Arts for its use of SecuROM in the video game Spore."

3. No, I'm currently limiting my Kickstarter backer adventures to one project a year. This year's pick is the Kickstarter for Bard's Tale IV. Previous years' picks were Cosmic Star Heroine and Shiness.

I could never get into the original Shenmue or its sequel; it was too easy to get lost and confused.

4. I think they're pretty good if VC sales of Mother 1 & 2 are strong. The cynical part of me suspects that Mother 3 will be released on exclusive eshop for the launch of Nintendo's next console, to help drive sales.

I'm curious if Mother 1, 2, or 3 will ever be released on the 3DS/New 3DS eshop. We'll see.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    1. Making it "Gears of Horror" has me moving from 0% to 1.4%. Might give it a look if I end up getting an Xbox One for Scalebound.

2. Victar covered my answer.

3. I have not and will not back Shenmue 3, but that's largely because of my disinterest in the type of game it's currently looking like it will be.

4. Before E3, I would have said no chance, but now I'm thinking we'll see it localized next year for the 10th anniversary of the original's release. If it's dependent on the sales of Earthbound Beginnings, that's one of the fastest eShop sellers right now, so it could be worth the 20% time of someone at the Treehouse.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • InstaTrentInstaTrent Opinion Guy RPGamer Staff
    Not sure if y'all are down for this, but we did just post a new DNG video here.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."