If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2015 Completed Games List (Part 2)

Comments

• DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited August 2015
    Planetfall (PC)

I enjoyed this a lot, far more than the few Infocom games that came before it (Zork, Deadline etc.). It's an interesting, cohesive world that's fun to explore and dissect, and the robot companion Floyd is just as well executed as people say. That said, this game is also a good example of why I don't like text adventures as much as graphic adventures:

1. You have a limited inventory, and sometimes you'll enter a room that requires certain items to solve, doesn't give any clue as to what these items are, and doesn't allow you to backtrack to find them. I had to restart the whole game a few times because of this, which isn't too big a deal because retreading progress only takes about 10 mins (these games go faster if you've already read the text, funnily enough), but still annoying and immersion breaking.

2. This one is more subjective, but I feel like the puzzles in this game is about 90% reading comprehension, 10% reasoning. If this was a graphic adventure these puzzles would be so easy that the game would practically be a walking simulator like Gone Home, because it would be much easier to notice all the details buried in the room descriptions. So while the game does end up being pretty challenging, the challenges aren't all that satisfying to solve.

Another annoying issue (spoilers, if you enjoy pain): about a third of the way through the game I picked up a magnet which caused all my door key cards to stop working. Since I didn't know this had happened until I tried to use the elevator again, by which point I'd already saved, I had to restart the game. Logical? Sure. Funny? Ok, a little. Can Steve Meretzky **** himself? Yes.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    3D Streets of Rage 2 (3DS) today.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    After some initial difficulty with a final boss that had frequent access to a powerful healing move, Celestian Tales: Old North (PC) is complete in a bit under 7 hours. Full review coming this week.

It's got some interesting ideas, but doesn't really deliver all that much (I was expecting more choices, the game itself only had two or three in my playthrough, which didn't have any consequences at this point). Feels rather like a prologue, which I guess is what it effectively is?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2015
    I really wanted to like Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4), but after a promising start it just kept getting worse. This has to be hardest action game I've ever finished (suck it, Souls series) and I feel like I died more times than any other video game I've ever played. Batman's arch-nemesis was the controls -- obtuse, slippery, and with a mind of their own most of the time -- with gameplay systems requiring near-perfect reflexes and input. Car chases were horrible, mob fights frequently had multiple enemy types charging at you with no way to counter them all simultaneously, and up to the final mob battle in the game I still struggled to get it to recognize certain inputs and target the foe I was pointing the damn L-stick at. It was too long, too difficult, and too big. On a more personal note as a gamer who startles easily, I think it had too many jump scares and was more creepy than it needed to be.

But I finished it because I liked the atmosphere, writing, and story. The plot was weird, to say the least, but I liked it and wanted to see it through the conclusion. Excellent writing goes a long way. The plot twists I didn't see coming and many scenario ideas were awesome. I like that they brought the atmosphere back to an open world game (which Arkham City was missing), but Asylum and City were both a whole lot more fun to play.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited August 2015
    Did you try pressing the counter button multiple times, 7th? You had to press it multiple times in Arkham City for each enemy that has the counter indicator over their heads (meaning double/triple enemy counters).
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited August 2015
    Yeah, multiple blue counters at once were fine. I got frustrated when I'd have a red attack coming at me at the same time as a blue melee counter, or an off-screen thug throwing a fire extinguisher at about the same time a swordsman was attacking with a yellow attack. Many of Batman's animations were a hair too long to deal with everything at once. Although I did get marginally better as the game went on, it got significantly harder, and I always had trouble in tight spaces. Aside from the Riddler trophies, I didn't clear all the road checkpoints because of that. I did everything else.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    7thCircle wrote: »
    Yeah, multiple blue counters at once were fine. I got frustrated when I'd have a red attack coming at me at the same time as a blue melee counter, or an off-screen thug throwing a fire extinguisher at about the same time a swordsman was attacking with a yellow attack. Many of Batman's animations were a hair too long to deal with everything at once. Although I did get marginally better as the game went on, it got significantly harder, and I always had trouble in tight spaces. Aside from the Riddler trophies, I didn't clear all the road checkpoints because of that. I did everything else.

Remember Batman is about disabling his foes first before jumping into the fight.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2015
    Broken Age: The Complete Adventure (PS4) -- I loved the story in this game, and for the most part I loved the puzzles. I loathed the amount of time based puzzles in this game. It's great if you are fast thinker, terrible if you're someone who has to work things through at a slower pace.
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    Celestian Tales: Old North - Part One (PC)

There are 6 party members and you choose which one will be your main character. For my 1st playthrough I chose Isaac. Took me about 11 hours of play time.

Overall I liked the game and highly recommend it. It broke away from a lot of most tired JRPG cliches (e.g., you aren't a chosen one prophesized to save the world from an ancient evil, and no one has amnesia!). There are no random encounters and all of the enemies are avoidable (except for bosses and story related combat, of course). The game is fairly linear, but there are a a few points in the story where you get to make narrative choices, but the consequences won't become apparent until future installments (this game is the fist of a planned trilogy). The combat is also a lot more interesting than the typical JRPG because you have some character customization options, there is actually an incentive to use "defend" at times. Very little if any grinding is needed; the game isn't padded with lots of filler combat.

On the downside, cut scenes are not skippable (which becomes very annoying if you have to replay boss fights in a couple areas), new weapons are not be sold by merchants and must be found somewhere on the map (a few of them are rather easy to miss), there is currently no difficulty setting; although I found it close to my personal preference for the most part, combat was too easy in the beginning of the game. A few other minor design issues, but otherwise a very enjoyable game; it's like an JRPG for RPGamers who are usually disatisfied with the genre.
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

• MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited August 2015
    8/17/2015 - Outrun (Genesis). Goal A. Y'know, as fun as the game is, the parts where you have to turn while going up a hill are a huge pain in the ass, since you don't get a lot of advanced warning before a sharp turn. That being said, I can totally see why this was a huge hit back in the day - very few games delivered that sense of speed, and even on this here Genesis port, the graphics are gorgeous. Definitely a must-have game for any Genesis/Megadrive owner. Now I'm gonna see if I can't get to goal B...

EDIT: Ding! Goal B achieved.

EDIT: And C! I guess now's as good a time as any to mention how funny the end goal animations are. A is a pretty standard celebration, while B is bizarre, showing your car falling apart, and C has the lamp that gives the driver a ton more girls (to the apparent chagrin of the passenger). It's a nice little touch that adds incentive to keep trying to improve and go for the harder goals.

EDIT: Goal D is now in the books. Not sure what the fighter craft was all about. Maybe a reference to another Genesis game, or something on the Master System?

EDIT: And now, Goal E is done, making that all five goals! I have to say I'm disappointed in the celebration animation, after the more humorous ones on the other four goals. Still, an amazingly fun little arcade game, and one I'm glad to have played through.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited August 2015
    8/18/2015 - Outrun 2 (Original Xbox). Goal A. Interesting to see the game in full 3D, and that the hills aren't so obnoxious, at least not in this first path. Definitely a reminder of Sega's glory days.

EDIT: Goal B, done. OK, now I gotta talk about a pet peeve. Compared to Outrun, there's a lot more time between choosing the next course and reaching the checkpoint. That's a good 10 seconds that didn't really need to be there.

EDIT: Goal C! This is the first of the end cinematics that didn't make the driver look like a complete tool, which is odd since they're clearly lost at the end. It was actually kinda cute.

EDIT: Goal E completed! Now this was completely by accident, as I was planning to make a Goal D run, but accidentally chose the wrong route in the Ghost Forest, which leads me to another pet peeve. You're essentially locked into the lane a lot earlier than you were in the original Outrun, since there's a barrier between the lanes before you turn in to the next course.

EDIT: And finally, Goal D! So that's all five goals for this game, in addition to all five goals for Outrun on the Genesis. Wonder what to do now....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Actual Sunlight (Vita) - This game really made me question my life choices.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • FoxConfessorFoxConfessor London, EnglandFull Members
    edited August 2015
    I finished a couple half-played games recently:

Tales of Graces F (PS3) I finished the main game a while ago, but was playing the post-game content here and there. Now I've finished that, somewhat preferred a lot of those events to some from the main game.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3) I wasn't overly blown away by this, it just felt like there was hardly any content. So, I put it down for quite a while, turned it on again and realised I only had 30 minutes of game play left.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Tales from the Borderlands: Episode 4 - Escape Plan Bravo (PS4)

This episode...wow. There was some massive hilarity in this episode, some very sad moments, touching ones, and ones that make you want to beat the crap outta somebody. Those of you who have been playing the episodes, play this one ASAP, you won't be disappointed. CATCH-A-RIDE!
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited August 2015
    I suppose since I beat the last boss and rolled credits, I'll list having beaten Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS). I still have many other things to do in this playthrough before I put it away for a long, long time.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

Criminal Girls: Invite Only - PS Vita

Very fanservicie but a fun little romp, beat the base game at level 40, going to continue playing and beat the extra dungeons
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Long Live the Queen (PC) wasn't quite what I was expecting, but it was a fun little thing. I got close-ish to beating it on my 5th or 6th try, but it took another 7 or so failures before I tweaked and trial-and-errored my way to success. "Saved the day with the power of music" is the achievement that I think best explains the path I took without going into detail. Considering I only got 1/4 of the achievements, this game has more optional events in it than I thought while playing. I'll keep it installed and might feel my way through another path later.
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC [PC] Really good game, wish there for a few more side missions though, by the time I felt I was really hitting my stride I was reaching the endgame. There's something to be said for brevity i guess though.
    Criminal Girls: Invite Only - PS Vita

Very fanservicie but a fun little romp, beat the base game at level 40, going to continue playing and beat the extra dungeons

Completely done now. All bonus bosses done, only thing left is the individual endings from the base game
    sig.gif

• DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited August 2015
    King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown (PC)
    King's Quest II: Romancing the Throne (PC)
    King's Quest III: To Heir is Human (PC)

I decided it was time to take a proper look at Sierra's adventure game oevure. I think playing a few text-adventures first was a good choice because a lot of the things that seem to really grate on people who try moving to Sierra after mostly playing Lucas Art-style adventures didn't really phase me. In some ways I think a lot of these design decisions (ie allowing dead-ends) are actually less of a problem in King's Quest than they are in Infocom's games.

King's Quest I is about as much of a relic as you'd expect it to be, with lame puzzles, a frustrating parser, and complete lack of coherence to the placement of items in the game world. And while I really like the idea of grading players based on how many puzzles they solve and how clever their solutions were, the shear quantity of optional puzzles felt kind of excessive and distracted from the main goals. I was surprised at how few puzzles you actually need to finish the game. Overall it's worth playing for anyone with an interest in the history of the genre, but maybe not for anyone else.

King's Quest II is a big improvement, with a better parser and more imaginative game world. I can see why people think this is the best of the early games, but I was still put off by the seemingly reasonless item locations and very simple puzzle solutions. King's Quest III, however, fixes both these issues splendidly, and is the first game in the series that feels like a proper adventure game with everything you'd expect from the genre. Most KQ fans seem to be a bit cooler on this entry due to the time limit, but while there are a few issues with the limit that cut short any aspirations KQIII might have had to genuinely greatness (including a couple of outright bad decisions that had me running for a FAQ), I think it adds more to the experience than it detracts. I also think this game is an excellent example of how even a very simple villain can be extremely effective when coupled with suitably antagonistic game mechanics.
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    Shadowrun Returns [PC] The original Dead Man Switch campaign imported into Dragonfall DC. As a campaign its got nothing on DC of course, way too linear and the story starts falling apart near the end. Still had some fun with it though. Onto Hong Kong (and the Pillars of Eternity expansion too, I suppose.)
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    Lost Dimension (PS3). An interesting game, and I really enjoyed it quite a bit in spite of it feeling somewhat like a budget title. Spoilers below about the traitor and how my playthrough turned out:
    Spoiler:
    George was my first traitor, though I found out he's apparently scripted to be that way in the first play through. Second up was Himeno, which was a shame since she was one of my favorite characters. I ended up replacing her on my main squad with Zenji, who ended up being 3rd to go. Finally, Mana decided to betray me, which was rough because she was one of my strongest members at the time. In that crazy twist of having to vote a second time, I was completely dumbfounded because I knew Mana was the traitor, and my team, even though I voted to kill Marco twice, still decided to kill off Sojiro in a 5 to 4 vote even though I hardly ever brought Marco along on missions. Then Yoko ended up betraying me in the final battle, which kinda sucked since she was one of my favorite characters along with Mana and Himeno, but at least I got to use her ridiculous Brain Hacker ability for most of the game.

Sho ended up being the most powerful member of my team at the end once he got Daydream and Side Effects, which just made him steam roll through enemies, especially when Link was used on him. Yoko was the MVP for most of the game though, with Inspiration, Demotivation, and Brain Hacker being game changers before you really got access to some of the stronger, more broken skills available. Though the game had a bit of a problem with repetitive dialogue and not enough depth when it came to certain scenes, I really enjoyed the character customization and brisk gameplay this strategy hybrid offered. While the traitor system served as a strength, it was also a weakness due to factors beyond player control impacting the thing I enjoyed most about Lost Dimension, which was team formation and customizing each person's skill tree. Overall though the game left me feeling satisfied, though I don't think I'm going to do a second playthrough just to see the true ending. Youtube, here I come!
    edited August 2015
    Saying Grand Theft Auto V (PS4) is the best GTA doesn't mean a lot coming from me, considering I'm lukewarm on the series, but I found it to be a major improvement over GTA4 in every way. Having three protagonists made it more like a party-based game, which was executed well in the plot and in the missions. All my frustrations with the series were fixed. It's still no Saint's Row -- I miss SR's humor and how it's so eager to forego realism to make the gameplay more fun -- but I enjoyed it to the end.
    7thCircle wrote: »
    Saying Grand Theft Auto V (PS4) is the best GTA doesn't mean a lot coming from me, considering I'm lukewarm on the series, but I found it to be a major improvement over GTA4 in every way. Having three protagonists made it more like a party-based game, which was executed well in the plot and in the missions. All my frustrations with the series were fixed. It's still no Saint's Row -- I miss SR's humor and how it's so eager to forego realism to make the gameplay more fun -- but I enjoyed it to the end.

I like the fact that driving is a little more responsive then in the older games where you try and make a slight turn at high speed and suddenly you're rolling your ride
    sig.gif

edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    I had, at one point, intended to do what you are doing now, since I also have the SUGC for 360, but I only ever finished Shining Force 1 and got stuck in 2. It'd be a tad costly to go back at this point, as the 360 went to my brother--I would need to buy a new one. Well, 360s are cheap-ish, so maybe one day when my backlog gets better.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Until Dawn (PS4) -- Finished one playthrough of this game and took turns passing the controller over with a friend as we made decisions together. This game is messed up, and while some of the story beats are a little predictable, this game does a great job of making you second guess yourself and your decisions. Playthrough one saw only two survivors, which hilariously ended up being our favourite and least favourite character. There's some real cleverness to the writing and the mechanics and now that I am working through playthrough two I am a lot more disturbed by some of the more overt dialogue options. Very nifty (and I don't even like horror! But I do like a good mystery!)
    edited April 2018
    deleted.