If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2015 Completed Games List (Part 2)

Comments

• ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    smacd wrote: »
    Combat Wings: Battle of Britain

System?
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Final Fantasy XI: Rise of the Zilart (30 hours) & Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia (40 hours) - I know these are MMO expansions, but I'm updating my own list, so I'm adding them. After all these were so completely Final Fantasy that I can't pretend it didn't feel like I'd finished a standard single player RPG, especially since I beat both of these solo. Great content, NPCs, characters, music, world building, villains, etc. especially in Chains. I could totally see how this could be crafted into a single player RPG, but I'll keep that mad dream to myself.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Spoiler:
    I don't really believe in the no MMO rules and will likely remove it for 2016 when I actually set up the list as my own. So go ahead, knock yourself out.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited September 2015
    Space Quest I: The Sarien Encounter (PC)

This is basically an outright bad adventure game with tonnes of unfair puzzles that revolve around missable cutscenes, some of which the game actually tricks you into missing! There's also a really obnoxious slot-machine minigame in the third act where you basically just exploit save/reload until you have enough money to continue. It's too bad the game part sucks, because otherwise it's a relatively humorous, fast-paced sci-fi parody. They took the regular death scenes from the King's Quests games and made them funnier, crueler, and more numerous. It might be worth playing if you're willing to cheat a bit when you get stuck.

Space Quest II: Vohaul's Revenge (PC)

Another hugely improved sequel; Sierra learns from their mistakes, apparently. They fixed most of the more unfair aspects of the first game... with one exception that I'm willing to give them a bit of a free pass on because it made me laugh. I don't think there's anything exceptional here that makes it a must-play game, but it's a decent adventure that ends before it wears out its welcome.

Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards (PC)

LSL was actually the first adventure game I ever played (on an old Amega 500 years after the game was original released), so it's nice to finally see the ending. Aesthetically there isn't much about the game that appeals to me any more, but it's certainly well-crafted (besides the inane, compulsory gambling minigame that's been copied Space Quest I for some reason). This would probably be a good entry point for people who are interested in the early Sierra graphic adventures, since it's been designed in a way that leaves less potential for dead ends while also having puzzles that are a bit meatier than KQI/II.

• Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Drav wrote: »
    Space Quest I: The Sarien Encounter (PC)

The VGA remake was much improved, starting with the widget that you could use to "fix" the slot machine.
    edited September 2015
    A point-and-click interface would probably help this game a lot. Another issue I had with the puzzles is that there are several instances where you have to guess what the pixelated blob you're looking at actually is before you can pick it up. I had to look up a FAQ about 15 minutes into the game because I didn't know I was looking at a
    Spoiler:
    translator
    and generic terms like "pick up thing", "pick up gadget" etc. didn't work.

EDIT: Actually, I just checked and "pick up gadget" DOES work, and you can say "search closet" to get a vague description of the item anyway, so perhaps I was just being lazy.

For all my complaining though... I actually like parsers enough that I'll generally choose parser over PAC when given the choice, which is one of the reasons I'm playing the originals over the remakes.
    Yeah, I generally liked the text parser as well, but the rest of the package is overwhelmingly in favor of SQ1 VGA.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    I've finally returned to this list after several months absence. Rolling credits now on FarCry 4 (XBONE). I don't think I enjoyed it as much as FarCry 3, but I think that's because FarCry 3 let you get OP much earlier on in the game. Pagan Min was a fun character, and I appreciated that the game often made me feel like I made a poor decision and had to live with the results. "Choices have consequences," and so forth. I know the other choices were probably just as bad, but it still had me wondering a couple times. I've got just a couple tiny odds and ends to finish in order to get 100%, so I'll certainly take care of that.

Also, Divekick (XBONE). Played a decent amount on PC, but picked up the console version for ease of local multiplayer. What a stupid game.
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    Grand Theft Auto V: PS3. DAMN, what a great game. I've played every GTA since III but this was the first in the main series I actually completed (China aside). Amazing characters, amazing story, balanced gameplay, and of course CHECKPOINTS in a numbered game. I heard GTA IV PC has that but I was on 360.
    So I finally beat the final boss of 7th Dragon (3DS), on the fourth (or was it fifth?) attempt. If you're out there, imercenary, you'll probably want to hear this.

OK, first form of the boss is a breeze, especially if you have a Princess who's slightly slower than he is. If there is a beneficial bonus on the party at the start of the round, the boss will waste his turn negating it, so by having your Princess sing the same song over and over again, you greatly reduce the odds of the boss ever hitting you. This is the good news.

The bad news is that the boss's second form is a BEAST. Hard hits, double hits, hit-all attack, group-effect curse ailment attack, beneficial status removal, regeneration, counter-attack field... It also has this second hit-all attack that can (and probably will) knock out 3/4 of your party from full health to zero. It only pulls that one out rarely, and I never saw it show up before the 15th turn or so, but he does it completely without warning. No rounds spent powering up, no taunting, just WHAM and the party's almost dead. Also, it apparently cannot be blocked or deflected by the Knight's usual defensive moves, and without a solid hint as to when he uses it, the Knight's EX skills will probably go to waste.

Thankfully, there's a save spot right before him, so if you find yourself lacking, pop on out of the dungeon and invest in about twenty revival items, another twenty full heal items, and hopefully you have been saving up those Life/Mana full restore potions as well. I managed the battle with less, but only barely. By the end, I was spamming the Princess's Retribution attack and praying like mad.
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    The Last of Us: Left Behind (PS4) - Since I beat The Last of Us on PS3, I was glad I didn't have to rebuy the game on PS4 to play the DLC. Standalone DLC is great. This was a pretty great little piece of DLC, too.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    J-Stars Victory VS+ (PSVita) - I actually finished this one sometime ago, but I'm just now getting to posting it here for reasons that will be touched upon the game following this one. I found myself quite tickled by this game and had plenty of fun. It's a surprisingly competent party fighter that puts you in the shoes of some of Shounen Jump's heavy hitters. The roster alone has me interested in much more manga lately. Will look into doing that at some point. Will probably platinum this at some point in the future as well, but I'll be taking my time with this one.

Persona 4 Golden (PSVita) - I've been playing this game for a long time. I first began this one at about a year into coming back home to take care of my father during his illness. I picked it up here and there when I had sometime to myself and when I was in the mood for it. Through my playing of this game, I lost both my father and grandmother, so finishing this game has me with mixed feelings.
    Going back to the game though, it is the most feel-good romp of such a grim subject matter. Everything in this game is a massive improvement over everything in Persona 3. I find myself preferring Persona 3 through, if only because I prefer the gameplay to school day balance more. Persona 5 definitely has its work cut out for it.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Steins;Gate (Vita) playthrough finished. So good.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    edited September 2015
    King's Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella (PC)

So much of this game is really good — not least of all the absolutely gorgeous, exuberant environments — that its failings sting all the more. I can accept that Sierra, for whatever reason, decided to abandon all the interesting design ideas from King's Quest III in favor of more straightforward puzzle solving, but the number of outright howler puzzles in this game is unforgivable. That whale.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2015
    Charlie Murder (XBLA) -- Finally completed this with a friend because grinding to beat the later bosses on my own was less enjoyable. Let's be honest here, playing a beat 'em up without a friend is never as enjoyable.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    Shadowrun: Hong Kong (PC). Dragonfall was something unique and special, and I wasn't expecting Hong Kong to match it. It didn't. The mission scenarios were more straightforward, the game was much easier, and the story existed only in the first couple and last couple missions. It's a solid game. Only the writing was exceptional.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    Got a few games to report

Nier (Xbox 360). I got the first ending and the achievement for 100% quest completion. NEVER, ever try to 100% this game! I wasted almost 20 hours grinding for one measly achievement!

Metal Gear (Xbox 360). It's nice to see where the series started and it plays quite well. It could've done with a bit less backtracking though.

Metal Gear Solid 2 (Xbox 360). The story is still guano level of insanity and Jennifer Hale does a squeaky voice.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Runbow (Wii U) - 1300+ deaths in the Bowhemoth (playing 3 player, couple of people died due to breaks) and rolled credits in co-op.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited September 2015
    Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain [PC] Chapter 2 falls off a cliff to the point that the ending of a major sub-plot was cut completely, and the final mission revealing the twist just sort of happens with no set up at all, but all in all this was a pretty cool game.

Also I like that they took Huey Emmerich and actually differentiated him from Otacon.
    Spoiler:
    In that Huey is a gigantic turd.
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    Kirby's Dream Land: GB. I actually beat this 2 weeks ago. I hadn't played the original since I was a pre-teen and I loved it so much then I probably beat it 30-40 times since it's so short. Had a random camping trip so I decided to bring it along and I beat it while I was more inebriated than I've been in years. :D Good times.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    LBX: Little Battlers eXperience (3DS). A solid effort that really needs online if I'm going to get into it.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Assassin's Creed: From Cry (PS3) - 100% Trophies

After finishing up all the offline trophies for ACIV that I had left from my original 2013 playthrough, I decided to give the DLC campaign a spin before tackling online trophies. Now personally, I usually do not count DLC as separate, but I am making an exception because of how this all worked out. I bought the DLC as a standalone PSN title alongside AS:Liberation HD last year. Thus, while ACIV lists the trophies as DLC trophies, my standalone copy ran separately of ACIV and had a completely separate trophy list (which means if I were to get the add-on version via ACIV's main menu, I could double-up on those trophies, as silly as that would be).

As for the game itself, I actually really enjoyed playing Adewale in probably one of the more mature plots for the series. Memory 8 (out of 9) is worth the price of admission alone. I would have liked some more down-time scenes with the cast (something they haven't been doing much of lately... As mediocre as III was, at least it had that in spades), I thought the overall package and delivery to be good and concise. I am actually glad they did not pad it out too much in order to make it a full entry.

Only real complain is hardware-software based. The game cannot run while logged into PSN. It crashes. 100% guarantee. Seriously, I am not entirely sure I will continue with the series past this generation when I finish up Rogue sometime this year. Unity and so forth sound impossibly broken, and Ubisoft seems to be really, really unrepentant about releasing increasingly-unfinished products to meet their annual quota. I have been with the series since the first game--and I actually like that one--but it seems like the problems with the franchise just increase each and every year. It's a shame that it will likely be killed by this release schedule, a la Guitar Hero.
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
    smacd wrote: »
    Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium (X360)

As many people claim, this game is the absolute pinnacle of the Phantasy Star series. Not only is it the best game in that series, but it is one of the better games of the era. When I play older games for the first time, I try to compare the games to their contemporaries, and in this case it holds up well against all but the best- I'd put this game in the top 5 JRPGs of the 16bit era. Though the big hitters, Dragon Quest 4, Final Fantasy 4 and 6, and Chrono Trigger all easily top this game.

The mechanics fix all the problems found in the previous entries, especially the third game. The story is strong, and wraps up the 4-game story arc in a satisfying manner, and this game was generally a joy to play. While I didn't find the characters to be particularly well developed, that was more a symptom of its era. Overall, I'm glad I played this game, but I'm more glad that I played the entire series as well, as there were a lot of great nods to all of the prior games in the series.

By the way, did I miss something, or did you skip PSII?
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain (PS4). Wow. Lots to say about this one. Got S rank on most missions, but there's a few I need to go back with better gear to improve on.

Guess I'll start with the gameplay. Easily the best in the series right here, no doubt. The controls feel super tight for the most part, and the episode and side op structure fit very well for me. As someone who wants to have a full playthrough of "perfect stealth" this choice made a huge difference to me as it gave me the freedom to screw around during side missions without suffering ramifications later on. Building up Mother Base was a blast and overall the vast majority of missions were stellar and many had optional objectives that changed up how you decided to approach them offering some replayability in an already massive title compared to its predecessors. There were some really powerful cutscenes in the game too, specifically the prologue and Episode 43. Can't remember the last time a game took my breath away like those two did. While I absolutely loved my time spent with this game, and will likely continue to playing it sporadically to try and unlock everything, there were a few shortcomings. Specifically with the story, which is spoiler territory:
    Spoiler:
    I really do feel as if this game could have bad a much better story had it just been told better. Some lines of dialogue don't really make sense when you compare them to others, in addition to the delivery that some of the VAs have. Ocelot doesn't sound right at all, for one. I know Kiefer doesn't have a lot to work with here, and because of the huge twist at the end its somewhat understandable that he doesn't have a strong personality, but there just isn't anything of interest with Big Boss' persona. Its frustrating because the game was more or less billed as Big Boss' descent into villainy, but you get practically no character development here on top of your allies constantly telling you that you can't eat goat or harm innocents, which is ridiculous for a man whose supposed to become a "demon". On the lack of character development, Skull Face gets almost no time whatsoever even though he's an awesome villain with the best lines (and funniest) lines in the game. There's no actual backstory built into the character that wasn't in Ground Zeroes tapes. If he was intended as a brand new character, there should have been more of his exploits shown, and they could have done well to explain why the hell he wears that ridiculous mask since that was an indicator that he could have been an already established character. At the end of the day I have to agree with Doomhammer too, the huge twist at the end was presented with no set up that ultimately took away from how powerful that could have been. Its a neat explanation for the original Metal Gears, but cutting that "Mission 51" from the end game seems very silly when the ending already leaves players with a lot of questions remaining.

With that out the way, I still have to say this is one of my favorite games in quite some time. Its frustrating because MGS5 was so close to being one of my all time favorite games, but the lack of a couple extra bosses and the story not being anywhere near as interesting as some of the fan theories I've read have this sitting at "possible" game of the year instead of guaranteed.
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    ChickenGod wrote: »
    MGSV stuff

Agreed! Though i must admit part of me is tickled by a game called The Phantom Pain feeling like its missing something.

'I can still feel my Episode 51... and my Camp Omega return... It's like they're all still there!'
  • valsarvalsar Member Full Members
    edited September 2015
    Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4)