If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Tying That Knot - Level Grinding

InstaTrentInstaTrent Opinion GuyRPGamer Staff
Level Grinding returns this month to shine a light on success, failure, lies, and the probability of Devil's Third being awful. Join us as we venture down the rabbit's hole of opinionated ramblings.

Level Grinding

If I could ask you readers some questions this week, they would be:

What do you want to see in an Resident Evil 2?

How do you feel about the success of Five Nights at Freddy's?

Are there any bad games that you love?

What are your thoughts on Randy Pitchford's reputation?
"To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

Comments

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    I am so proud of you crazy kids. Seriously.

May you throw bags of candy at each other forever. <3 (But sorry Trent, still team Kelsey when it comes to DNG! :P)
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    The first RPG game I played was Dragon Warrior (NES) and I think it's a terrible game now. Extremely. Dragon Warrior 2 is much better and is at least middling by today's standards.

The first RPG game I ever bought with my own money was Brave Fencer Musashi. I still think it's good, even though it's not.
    I also like some of the earlier Camelot Software Planning games like Shining in the Darkness and Beyond the Beyond. I played these when I was young, so I think they are good (even though they really are bad). For Shining the Holy Ark, which I didn't play when I was young, and is extremely similar to the other two, I think it's terrible. I'm a horrible person... :)

You might have covered retro games before. It's kind of like "bad on purpose" and that makes them good. Retro games I like include Half Minute Hero 1 and 2 and Crypt of the Necrodancer.

It's also this way with anime. I like "That's a Voice Actor!," one of the lowest budget shows for a full 24-minute show this season. I also liked "Adventures of the Go-Home Club" which was one of the lowest budget shows in its season as well.

Everyone has bad games they like because beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • ScionScion RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    InstaTrent wrote: »
    Level Grinding returns this month to shine a light on success, failure, lies, and the probability of Devil's Third being awful. Join us as we venture down the rabbit's hole of opinionated ramblings.

Level Grinding

If I could ask you readers some questions this week, they would be:

What do you want to see in an Resident Evil 2?

How do you feel about the success of Five Nights at Freddy's?

Are there any bad games that you love?

What are your thoughts on Randy Pitchford's reputation?

Ideally, REmake 2 would be given the same treatment as the Gamecube one, but I find that unlikely.

Five Nights at Freddy's is a really boring series but good on the dev, glad he found success with a genuinely clever idea.

Does Deadly Premonition count? I waver back and forth between that being a hilariously bad game and subtly genius one. Other than that, I will often defend David Cage games even though he has never made a great one and arguably only has one good one.

Pitchford deserves what he gets. I'll agree he has a Molyneux-esque hubris, but he lacks any ingenuity Molyneux once had. Randy Pitchford's constant deflections toward how Colonial Marines turned out (and I'm as tired of hearing about it as you) is laughable and his body of work isn't all that impressive.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    The only thing they need to do with RE2 is the same thing they did with RE1 for GC and PC. Improve the graphics and make tank controls optional, and I'll be pleased. If they're feeling generous they could re-record the dialogue, since it's pretty hamfisted at times.

Five Nights at Freddy's - meh, I don't find the concept interesting, but it seems a lot of people do.

I'm a big fan of Koei's musou games, despite their extreme repetitiveness and almost complete lack of originality and innovation. The voice acting is usually ridiculous and the battles themselves are often a mess, with dialogue occurring way out of sync with the events they're supposed to relate to.

Never heard of Pitchford, I never played Borderlands and I could only stand a few hours of Duke Nukem Forever.
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    While I enjoyed some videos on theories on the Five Nights at Freddy's games, I'm not interested in playing the game themselves. I see the backlash against the series as that ever-so-common occurrence to happens to many things that become popular. It's fine if they don't like something, but bashing fans and the creator is too much. It just makes any criticism they have of the game, even justified, seem petty and easy to dismiss. It's great that Scott has found success, and good to see him respond to these critics in a respectable manner.

I'd like to think there aren't any bad games I love, but "bad" is in the eye of the beholder. I can name a few unpopular ones: Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, and Arc Rise Fantasia.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs