If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Lessons Learned - Level Grinding

InstaTrentInstaTrent Opinion GuyRPGamer Staff
Level Grinding returns to reflect on boss design, predatory pre-order tactics, Hideo Kojima's writing style, and Notch. With the summer coming to a close, we'd also like to know what you've been playing.

LEVEL GRINDING

If I could ask you readers some questions this week, they would be:

- How important is boss design?

- What do you make of pre-order tiering?

- Is Kojima really a bad writer?

- What are your thoughts on Notch's tweets?

OH! And please, please, please tell us what you've been playing this summer!
"To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

Comments

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited September 2015
    - How important is boss design?
    I think boss design is quite important, the design has to match the game you are building. Now The complaint of not being able to play Dragon Age's boss if you don't have one tank, 2 DPS, and one healer is a little odd to me as that is how I always build my parties. The only game where I didn't have one healer was FFIX where I went with both healers .... but they both could summon.

- What do you make of pre-order tiering?
    Bad marketing

- Is Kojima really a bad writer?
    Never really cared for his games.

- What are your thoughts on Notch's tweets?
    I'm probably one of the few people who does not follow Minecraft. Success can change a person, but also depends on how much that person is willing to let it change him.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • ScionScion RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2015
    Had to read your thoughts on Kojima as I am knee deep in The Phantom Pain, but I wouldn't say his writing is good. He's a fantastic director but outside of a few key bits his writing, particularly his dialogue, has always held him back. Even his well written characters, The Boss specifically, talk too much. The hour-long cutscene at the end of MGS4 is indulgent as all hell. He's not a bad writer because he is postmodern and it really isn't postmodernism that makes him a bad writer, though I would agree he is the most prominent game director today who definitely falls under that label.

He's a bad writer because his dialogue is generally terrible and more often than not he loses his message, whatever it may be, to extraneously long diatribes and meandering technobabble. He is one of the few directors working in games that bothers to develop characters outside of dialogue or character design, but he often undermines this by just having his characters talk too damn much. MGSV is almost the opposite this way, with Keifer Sutherland barely providing any voice over whatsoever, but the other characters talk at him more to make up for lost time. Kojima isn't a subtle man, but he has a knack for detail few others have. It's why I love him so much, but it doesn't serve to make his writing any better.