The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Episode 14: LOL Whoops - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
Q&A Quest’s most prolific question asker joins the show to answer some questions for a change. Together, we discuss how Nintendo can make even more money from Amiibos.

Episode 14: LOL Whoops - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2015
    You commented on how insanely well DQ8 sold in its first week, so I went and crunched some numbers...

From the Dengeki Top 50 sales list...

DQ8 sales, for just this week: 603,494
    everything else, same week: 314,241

So Dragon Quest 8 accounted for almost 66% of ALL RETAIL GAMES IN THE COUNTRY for its opening week.

--edit: whoops, I fail at math.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    That was a fun episode.

Lolwhoops, I'm currently doing a replay of dq7, and I'm about 70% done with it. You should be getting to the class system around the part you are describing.(20 hr mark) I personally think some of the scenarios have excellent storylines.
    Do you think any contempary musicians would make interesting composers for a jrpg?
  • bobbywatsonbobbywatson Random guy Full Members
    edited September 2015
    Question for the next episode, whenever you get around to record it:

A bit of context first: I was going through my old PS1 games recently, and noticed two RPGs that almost never come up in conversations: Jade Cocoon and Thousand Arms. I remember getting Jade Cocoon used at Gamestop at some point for about $2, and then forgetting I even owned it. I did beat Thousand Arms years ago and enjoying it, but have no idea if it's worth revisiting nowadays (I'm guessing it doesn't hold up).

So the question is: Are there standalone PS1 RPGs (J or otherwise) that are actually worth playing nowadays? I know some (Shadow Madness) are best forgotten, but there has to be some gems here and there (whether they crossed the Pacific ocean or not).
    What is your favorite non rpg?
    edited September 2015
    Lolwhoops I heard you mention dragon quest fan art, so I did something today. It's the dq7 hero. He ended up looking older, but it is what it is.

http://fav.me/d99cxef
  • bobbywatsonbobbywatson Random guy Full Members
    Also: I want to hear Wheels complain about FF Type-0. I played through it first on the PSP (using the unofficial translation) and again on the PS4 and had a great time (though I will acknowledge the game has a lot of flaws).

• OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Well I am back with some other Monster Hunter question.

I just did my new set of armor in monster hunter (Auroros) and I got the skill Mind's eye, man I don't think I can live without that ever again!

So my question is what are your favorite skill that you need to have on your hunter.

What about the new Monster Hunter X that is coming with the news fighting styles? Can't wait to try the aerial one.

Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Question for the next episode, whenever you get around to record it:

A bit of context first: I was going through my old PS1 games recently, and noticed two RPGs that almost never come up in conversations: Jade Cocoon and Thousand Arms. I remember getting Jade Cocoon used at Gamestop at some point for about $2, and then forgetting I even owned it. I did beat Thousand Arms years ago and enjoying it, but have no idea if it's worth revisiting nowadays (I'm guessing it doesn't hold up).

So the question is: Are there standalone PS1 RPGs (J or otherwise) that are actually worth playing nowadays? I know some (Shadow Madness) are best forgotten, but there has to be some gems here and there (whether they crossed the Pacific ocean or not).

I have dim memories of playing the beginning of Jade Cocoon. It has a somewhat unusual story premise, and the gameplay is closer to Pokemon than a traditional RPG. I think it's worth trying, provided that you can tolerate PSX 3D graphics.

I will expand on Bobby Watson's question with: what are some obscure (but not import-only!) GBC, GBA, DS or PSP RPGs that you especially recommend playing? So far I have discovered two enjoyable DS RPGs entirely because of RPGamer: A Witch's Tale and Magical Starsign. I would have bought them brand new when they came out, but I was completely unaware they existed at the time.