If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

#ORPGOctober - Old RPGamers...errr...RPGs, unite!!!

Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified PolygameistRPGamer Staff
edited October 2015 in Role Playing Games
Following our RPGTrek Month of Calendar (Found at https://jcservant.wordpress.com/rpg-trek/ ), we head into #ORPGOctober, looking for the oldest, crustiest, RPGs we can get our hands on! Try out an older RPG! From the 80’s right up through last decade, find a game in your backlog that you’ve wanted to tackle and go for it!

Going all out in this spirit, I'm totally going old skool PC RPG'in with Albion - https://www.gog.com/game/albion . Check out this description.
About: It is the year 2227, and the gigantic interstellar factory ship, Toronto, cruises toward a lifeless planet endowed with a wealth of minerals. While studying the planet in his shuttlecraft, the pilot, Tom Driscoll, unavoidably crash lands. Against all expectations, he survives to discover his craft has landed in a world rich in flora and fauna, and inhabited by intelligent beings. How could the data on the planet of Albion have been so wrong?

Take on the role of Tom Driscoll and explore the extensive world of Albion and its endless surprises in this turn-based, tactical RPG. Experience its vast beauty and strange cultures… but beware of its many hidden dangers! You, and the companions you acquire on your journey, will experience countless adventures together and your resourcefulness, skills of negotiation and ability to deal with numerous inhabitants will be repeatedly put to the test. But most importantly, your resolve in battle will determine not only your own fate, but that of the entire world.

Role-playing adventure with an engaging storyline and interactive dialogue
Turn-based, tactical combat
User-friendly and intuitive interface and navigation
Expansive and captivating game-world

Heck, with a run-down this exciting, what could possibly go wrong?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ylzv217vrqpst9j/001 Psykadelic.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0r0ye1l068t88s0/006 Greeted by Spot.jpg?dl=0
Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!

Comments

• flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited October 2015
    Some of my favorite old games:

Those played without the use of a mouse
    Ancient Domains of Mystery
    Roguelike
    Free, http://www.adom.de/home/index.html
    Will probably run on MS-DOS. Also runs on modern systems. Weird, huh? Not much story to it.

The Magic Candle
    Turn-based RPG
    Abandonware (use Google to find it - not available for purchase anywhere I could find)
    Runs on MS-DOS. Also on modern systems. Weird, huh?
    The hero, Lukas, is charged with repairing the magic candle that seals away the demon lord. If he fails, the demon lord will escape, dooming the world to ruin. He will need to recruit party members and explore dungeons to find the materials and secrets needed to complete the repair.

Mouse optional
    Castle of the Winds
    Roguelike
    Free, http://web.archive.org/web/20110807061741/http://www.exmsft.com/~ricks/
    Runs on Windows 3.1. Also on modern systems.
    Your hero explores a dungeon. Not much story to it. Kinder than most roguelikes because it allows saving and loading your game.

Betrayal at Krondor
    Turn-based RPG
    $2, gog.com, http://www.gog.com/game/betrayal_at_krondor
    Honestly I'm not really sure what happens in this game, but it's a nice game with good exploration, both on a field map and in dungeons.
    Was RPG of the year in '94! Uses a weird HP system similar to Langrisser series where weakened characters' attacks are weak.
    The game script was written by a novelist, so it reads differently than your usual game script. There is a lot of prose for you to read in the script (as opposed to dialogue). Strangely, many descriptions are presented to you in both picture and prose form.
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited October 2015
    This would be an excellent time for me to try out those Ultima games I got from a GOG sale years ago, but...

Uh, does Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers count? Sure the 3Ds version came out in 2013, but the original Sega Saturn version came out in 1997. :P
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2015
    Sure! After all, calling any game 'old' is a subjective matter...it's whatever you make it out to be. And, IMHO, any port of an older game is still 'old' to me... i.e. the recently reviewed Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight would certainly qualify. Just because it has a new coat of paint and a tune up under the hood doesn't mean it doesn't have that old skool charm!
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited October 2015
    Betrayal at Kronder is also is part of a very long book chain by Raymond E. Feist (the book based off this game came out much much later) So unfortunately by not reading those books (Magicians Apprentice [different from the new one], Magicians Master [see note on previous one], Silverthorn, and Darkness at Sethanon) it is very easy to feel completely lost in this game. It was one of my personal favorites although I never beat it my self either. But I also attempted playing it AFTER reading the books so I could follow what was going on with it easily

I have no idea what I'm going to play personally, my back log (link in my Sig) is very long and arduous and thinking of something I've not played or beaten tends to get put aside for something I have played
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    I have no idea what I'm going to play personally, my back log (link in my Sig) is very long and arduous and thinking of something I've not played or beaten tends to get put aside for something I have played
    That's exactly why I like the 'month of.' It helps me to focus on just a few games to pick one to play, rather than starting at my huge backlog wholesale. Plus, I allow myself not to beat games. (See IGN Article here: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/05/new-years-resolution-beat-fewer-games ) So pick an old game from your backlog. This means different things to different people, but, in the spirit of "ORPGs", I chose something that was very, very old. It can be something you love from the past, or something completely different. I went for different, myself. With those decisions made, my choices were down to just a few dozen, instead of hundreds. I think decided I would do a GOG game, since I had not done one of those in a while, and my other consoles already had games I'm working on. In browsing the oldest RPGs in my GOG collection (GOG has great filters), I saw Albion had 5 stars...so, hey, what not? Hopefully, sharing my thought process will help you.
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    Stuff I'll be playing:

I'm going to give the original Wasteland a shot to prepare myself for Wasteland 2 Director's Cut. I didn't hear of the game when it was released (I was only about 7) and while I played / loved Fallout 1 & 2, I only learned of Wasteland's existence a few years ago...

I also snagged Betrayal at Krondor on GOG. I did play and liked "Return to Krondor" when it was released... Eventually I bought BaK on eBay, but I had enormous difficulties getting it to run properly. Here's hoping it is playable on my Windows 7 machine :)

Albion also sounds really good. I'll wait to see what JCServant thinks of it but it sounds like my kind of game.

Old RPGs I'd recommend:
    Aside from the Fallouts, my favorite older CRPG is is Dark Sun: Shattered lands. Unfortunately it isn't available on GOG- it's currently considered abandonware- but I'm hoping they will offer it soon. And even though the combat is absolutely terrible, I'd recommend Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick obscura; great atmosphere and setting.

As for older console RPGs I'd recommend Shining Force 1-2 (Genesis) & 3 (Saturn), and Growlanser Generations (PS2). And Beyond Oasis (Genesis), a Zelda clone that I'd argue is better than most Zelda games.
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

edited October 2015
    So I decided to give Tales of Vesperia a whirl again as I hadn't played it in a few years and come to realize that it was made in 2008. however since most of it's system were introduced in either Tales of Abyss and/or Tales of Symphonia I'm going to bloody well count it as it's most innovative bit was it's story telling and character development with little to no change to the battle system.
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    I played Wasteland 1 for maybe an hour or so and just don't feel motivated to spend more time with it. It's amazing how far technology and video games have come since then. I think i may have appreciated it more had I tried it 20 something years ago, but it just hasn't aged well. I don't mind the graphics, but the gameplay just isn't fun. Combat is a bore and unfortunately largely unavoidable.

And now that Age of Decadence is out I'm totally addicted to it. Very old school in a lot of ways. After that I'll probably play the two other old school new games Wasteland 2 Director's Cut and Divinity: OS Enhanced Edition.
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

Going to continue my way through Tales of Vesparia. Just got captured
    sig.gif