If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Chills - Level Grinding

InstaTrentInstaTrent Opinion GuyRPGamer Staff
edited October 2015 in Latest Updates
Level Grinding returns this month with plenty of horrific topics and entertaining videos. In this grind session we'll be discussing the longevity of disk-based games, the benefits of game delays, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5, and the troubling saga of Shenmue 3.

Level Grinding

If I could ask you readers some questions this week, they would be:

- Will physical media be around forever?

- What do you think of game delays?

- Does the Pro Skater franchise have a chance at surviving?

- Are you concerned about Shenmue 3?
"To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

Comments

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2015
    There are reasons why I've always disliked Yu Suzuki and you've sort of highlighted all of them. The man is so concerned about making "the best product ever," repeatedly goes over budget, and never actually feels satisfied in his accomplishments. Not just that, while Shenmue was innovative for its time, there's a piece for me that was always lacking -- he never figured out fun.

I realize that's a cruel sentiment to say, but I don't think people wanted that stupid forklift minigame or to play lucky hit. Where as the Yakuza series which is quite similar (yay Amusement Vision!) and which plays homage to Shenmue in a lot of ways, does a better job in terms of storytelling, gameplay, and it's ACTUALLY FUN. I still get insane amounts of joy bashing bad guys over the head with bicycles and having breakable weapons, and being able to grapple dudes. I feel like Suzuki was so focused on telling a good story and making it visual appealing that he never realized that there she should be an element of fun in his games.

It's why I'm very hesitant towards Shenmue 3. I really don't think it's going to live up to Suzuki's high expectations, especially if he's already convinced that over six million isn't enough money. I understand high quality production and good storytelling, but at the same time, put your money where your mouth is and actually PRODUCE something instead of just stating "omg 6 million isn't enough." Or hell, do what Yakuza does for the extra income and toss in some product placement, it's not like Shenmue hasn't done it before.

*goes back to her cave cuddling her copies of Yakuza like a grump*
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited October 2015
    "A bad game is forever."
    That's less true today than it has ever been.
    It was true in the context it was first said in, and that has to be respected. There are no patches for PlayStation 1 games, that I know of.

For PC games, this has never been true. Look at Home of the Underdogs' Post-Patch Classics section. This is a list of games that, after a major patch (may not have been the first patch), they became good. Even back then PC games were getting patches. I think it's great that console games can now get them, too.

Stardock has had trouble having good quality on release day. It affected their Master of Magic-like Elemental: War of Magic and also the LoL-like Demigod. It wasn't limited to launch day. Those games got better through patching and now contain few bugs, but in the end, they're just bad games.

And regarding Shenmue 3: Never back anything on KickStarter.
    I'm not saying I dislike RPGamer coverage of KickStarter projects. I actually like that coverage.
    But, I will never back any project on there, period.
    I'm not going to chime in every time RPGamer covers a KickStarter project and tell you all not to back. That would get old fast. But in any editorial column, I feel like I must say this.

I think Steam Early Access is bad too. Steam Early Access should have a demo. It can be as simple as a timer that locks the game after a certain number of hours of play. And then there could be an option to pay at the end of the demo, even if the game isn't completely finished yet. You still don't know what you're getting with Steam Early Access, and that is my main problem with Early Access projects. For those projects that do have a demo, you can play the demo, get an idea of the content that exists beyond the demo, and then decide if it's worth your money. I bought Crypt of the Necrodancer in Early Access after watching some videos; it was obvious that the game was fun at that point. I bought Factorio, which is not on Steam, after playing their free demo. This game is still in development as well.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    I certainly don't mind delays, and do get annoyed when people complain about them. The opposite problem--games being released with a ton of bug and/or little content and then patched later--can be irksome. Sure, a rushed game can be fixed later, but it leaves a poor first impression. It's so common now, though, that it seems many people are used to it. I'll admit I can't think of any game's I've played like this. As for delayed games, I've got enough of a backlog as it is, so it's not as if I'm hurting for games to play.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs