If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Dragon Quest Heroes Launches for PS4

Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing EditorRPGamer Staff
The Kingdom of Arba has sent out a call to arms seeking assistance against a monster-infuriating curse. It seems many past heroes will be answering it, but will RPGamers be joining them?

[ Story ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• mooserockamooserocka New Member Full Members
    honestly do not even want to get this game. doesn't appeal to me like dragon quest games did.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member RPGamer Staff
    I'll get it cause I love Dynasty Warriors and I love DQ .... so why not
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    I just got the game and, while it seems good enough at first, I must admit that it doesn't feel quite as seamless a melding of the two franchises as Hyrule Warriors did. I've only got to
    Spoiler:
    the airship reveal
    , but so far they seem to only be using existing dragon Quest music, and sliding characters from other games feels a bit meh, considering the connecting tissue between titles is more loose than even Legend of Zelda.

Also, I'm rather dissapointed that the attack strings aren't nearly as crazy as they were at the same point in Hyrule Warriors, and the apparent lack of any side content (though it may unlock later) really adds to the feel of an underwhelming cash-in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • gvargasgvargas IT Las VegasFull Members
    There is really no hope on getting this one on PS3? Not even on PSN? :(
  • OrophinOrophin New Member Full Members
    Picked it up last night and it's pretty fun. I like both Dynasty Warriors and Dragon Quest games and I think it's a good mash up. Here's some of the features I've unlocked in the base of operations so far: (I'm at the 4th town)

Weapon Shop - upgrades as you progress through the story

Orb Shop - functions as an armor shop, your defense is calculated as one equippable item (orb) instead of the traditional head/body/hands/boots slots

Alchemy Pot - ala DQ8 with some twists. It's only used to make accessories. You can also combine like accessories to increase their effectiveness and add new stats to them

Mini Medal Vendor - can spend Mini Medals on various equipment/recipes. This functions like the older games where you can buy multiples of the same item rather than having the tiered system where you get an item at x medals turned in.

Quest NPC - gives sidequests that rewards items/coins/mini medals, similar to DQ9

Accolades NPC - gives mini medals based on completing certain milestones in the game. (bosses defeated, items collected, etc) She also has a subsection where you get a mini medal for every 100 of a monster type killed, up to 500 monsters (5 mini medals)

Post NPC - handles messages (mail) delivered from NPCs to the party thanking them for completing tasks, and sometimes they send item rewards.

Patty's Party Place - functions like previous DQ games where you manage your party lineup since you can only bring 4 characters into battle at once.

Church - Does your standard save/curse removal services. Also recharges your Healstones (heals the whole party, you start with 3 and it expands over time) and resets your skill points on your characters for a rather hefty chunk of gold. (at least in the beginning it seems like a lot)

Treasure Maps - unlocks locations on the world map where you can replay boss fights. So far the treasure chest rewards have only awarded another map, but I believe there's an achievement for completing 50 maps so I imagine there will be some variance at some point. So far I have 1 non-boss map and three boss maps. Can be replayed.

In addition of the above features, your characters gain skill points as they level up, which can be spent on new abilities, traits and base stat boosts. As mentioned above, you can spend money to reset these points but it's pretty cost prohibitive in the beginning of the game, so you may want to only allocate points into the skills you really want as you can afford them, rather than feeling compelled to spend all your points as you're able to.

You also receive the ability to summon monsters to fight for you by defeating them and obtaining monster coins. The amount of monsters you can summon is limited initially but you can expand that capacity over time. Different monsters also vary in the amount of slots they occupy. (for example with 6 slots you could have 6 skeletons or 2 golems) Summoned monsters are rather vital during some missions where you have to defend a position and you're being attacked by multiple directions. The monsters can defend a position (until they're defeated) while you focus on trying to take out another. Also, monster coins vary between ones that will fight for you and others that are expended but have an instant impact, such as poisoning the ground, dealing area damage, restoring mp, etc.

Another battle feature includes a tension meter (functions like the musou gauge in DW) that increases your attack power, speed, grants a double jump ability, and grants immunity while active. Once the meter is depleted, (or if you trigger this manually) it fires off an area wide super attack that is unique to each character.

I'm not far into the story, but I feel like it retains the DQ quality in this respect and it functions like a standalone DQ game. The music is mostly taken from older games and some of it is remixed a bit, but it'll feel familiar. I think I've only ran into one unique track so far.

I've only had one major gripe with the game so far, that being that the voice acting plays through the PS4 controller speaker and the TV simultaneously. I've found it to be quite distracting and I haven't found the ability to disable this anywhere in the menus.

Overall, pretty fun game and I've only played it for the better part of an evening so far. The boss battles are fun and typically require a little more strategy than mashing your attack button. If you can get over the different style of battle, I think you'll be able to enjoy it as if it were a main series DQ game.
  • VeghabeVeghabe Does Not Own a PS4 Full Members
    Nope because the PS3 version of DQH won't leave Japan a PSN version of it on the PS3 won't leave Japan either and its just too hard to pay for import PSN titles that's why for any import games PS3/Vita TV I have to own the physical copies of the game while NOT being able to use the DLC at all.

Since while PS3 games don't have region lockout DLC however is NOT region free.
    edited October 2015
    Veghabe wrote: »
    Nope because the PS3 version of DQH won't leave Japan a PSN version of it on the PS3 won't leave Japan either and its just too hard to pay for import PSN titles that's why for any import games PS3/Vita TV I have to own the physical copies of the game while NOT being able to use the DLC at all.

Dude seriously stop bringing it up, we don't care anymore. We've all offered suggestions on how to get a PS4, and the extra money you're spending importing (between either taxes or shipping and handling) could be spent being saved up to buy a PS4 instead. Heck you've mentioned you're in your thirties in some other thread as am I. I understand limited income more then most as I was unemployed for 3 and 1/2 years with super limited income, So you can't buy it when it first come out. Just save up your money, get the system, and then get the game down the road when it may be cheaper anyways as the price point drops. Heck with the PS4 coming out I have gotten some sweet deals on PS3 games (picked up all of Resistance for 10$).

As for this game I'm going to have to wait on it, Christmas is around the corner so i'll put it on my list and see. The game I really want is Tales of Zestiria, all others are going to be sidelines, except for StarCraft II possibly
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff

technically speaking DLC is in fact region free, meaning you can use it on any PS3 console, you'll just need a Japanese PSN account, which is easy to create and getting credit for the store is easy too via places like play-asia.com.
    gvargas wrote: »
    There is really no hope on getting this one on PS3? Not even on PSN? :(

Not happening
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Orophin wrote: »
    I've only had one major gripe with the game so far, that being that the voice acting plays through the PS4 controller speaker and the TV simultaneously. I've found it to be quite distracting and I haven't found the ability to disable this anywhere in the menus.

Hold down the PS button to bring up the menu and go into devices. You should be able to turn the volume on the controller down.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed Full Members
    Been enjoying this so far, it's really quite different from the usual Warriors clone. Even if I'm pretty much playing Tsarevna Alena Simulator 2015. That's a perfectly valid play style, yes? ;)
    Becky Cunningham, Happy Snappy RPGamer Alum
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    However if you only have a American account I believe you can't make a Japanese account download DLC for a Japanese import PS3 game THEN transfer the DLC back to a American PS3 account.

Besides most Japanese RPG's DLC is just useless items/costumes that don't have any effect on the gameplay which is why if I were to import the Japanese version to play on my PS3 I won't end up using the DLC at all.

As for buying a American PS4 the only way I could afford one is after the $400 price for it drops to under $120 to $150 and that's just never going to happen even possibly for the next 30 to 40 YEARS.

Then again the only PS4 game I would want to play is the new star ocean game and I'd rather just play the PS3 version of it again in Japanese text only and when Tales of Berseria gets released next year in Japan on the PS3/PS4 odds are the PS3 verion won't be localized either.

edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    However if you only have a American account I believe you can't make a Japanese account download DLC for a Japanese import PS3 game THEN transfer the DLC back to a American PS3 account.

Besides most Japanese RPG's DLC is just useless items/costumes that don't have any effect on the gameplay which is why if I were to import the Japanese version to play on my PS3 I won't end up using the DLC at all.

No idea what you mean. You can have multiple accounts on one PS3 and dowloaded content should be available for all. Worst case, it has no online so you just play it logged in with the Japanese account.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    Yeah I have one of my PS3's with 2 American accounts and on Japanese account for our cat <.<.
    sig.gif

In that case unless a DLC exists in helping you play the game like starting it with +10 levels higher/or over 100,000 gold/money usable at the start I find that DLC for most RPG games to be useless since most of the time you just get costumes that don't do anything at all.

Yes even if I did save +400 or more to buy a American PS4 I still won't until it drops 120 to 150 for it (that way I can actually buy a game or 2 and NOT have it cost me a entire paychecks worth) and since I get Socal Security checks once a month I can't work at a 2nd job at all to pay over 400 for a PS4 all at once either.