If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Dragon Quest Builders Media and Info

ScionScion RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
Square Enix is showing off the opening area for Dragon Quest Builders and its filled with the classic experience. Drackies, drolls, and skeletons occupy the now blocky-looking rolling plains.

[Story]

Comments

• watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    DQ Heroes, now this. Are they just slapping a DQ paint job on everything they feel like ripping off now?
  • ScionScion RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I think the official reasoning for it is similar to the Type-0 HD reasoning: We hope to get Dragon Quest fans on the new consoles before we release the main games to help sales. We'll see if it pans out for them or not.
  • OrophinOrophin New Member Full Members
    To be fair, I feel like DQ Heroes is worthy of the good reviews it's been getting universally. I completed the main story over the weekend and apart from the non turn-based combat, it feels like a numbered DQ game.

Don't know what to say about Builders as it essentially looks like Minecraft with a DQ skin, but if they can do some kind of mashup of how Telltale is doing the Minecraft story mode version of the game along with the building aspect they might have something.

Like Scion said, really it just seems like they're trying to possibly get a new generation behind this IP before they release DQXI, which may seem like a game with antiquated features compared to games that have come out within the last few years or so. Minecraft-esque and action combat games are probably what they grew up with, so to go from that to completely turn based combat will be kind of a 180 to what newer gamers are used to, but if they can enjoy these other games in the DQ family it's probably what will drive them to give it a shot, kinda like how anyone that grew up with Final Fantasy is going to give those games a shot. (Although this may be less true these days. I didn't even play Lightning Returns and while I know I'll get FF15 something doesn't quite sit well for me with this game)