If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Monster Rancher 4?

The amazing CidThe amazing Cid MemberFull Members
edited May 2003 in Site & Forum Support
I've wondered for a while why Pokemon is covered and Monster Rancher isn't and the only reason I can see is because MR is linear you don?t really go anywhere except for your ranch and the battle arenas. While in Pokemon you actually explore around and go to different towns and stuff.

Well now MR4 has some new features one of which is being able to explore around different areas. here is the actual info from playsation.com?s E3 list.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"New Action/Adventure Element. Once the player has gone through the steps of breeding and training their monsters to fight, the player and their monsters will set off on a role playing adventure to unknown lands.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Other new features include being able to breed and train multiple monsters at the same time and you can customize your ranch now with all kinds of stuff.

I just wondered if RPGamer should be covering this or not, what do you guys think?

Comments

• KamikazeKamikaze Member Full Members
    edited May 2003
    Considering this thread pertains to RPGamer, off to another forum it goes!
  • The amazing CidThe amazing Cid Member Full Members
    edited May 2003
    OH sorry tounge.gif I wasn't sure where to put it.
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited May 2003
    I never played the second or 3rd monster rancher, but the 1st one contained these elements as well.
  • The amazing CidThe amazing Cid Member Full Members
    edited May 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I never played the second or 3rd monster rancher, but the 1st one contained these elements as well.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

The 1st one had these elements? I can kinda see what your saying...

I've Played MR1 and MR3

In MR1 if by "roleplaying adventure" you mean those quests you could go on every once in awhile. That was more of a mini game than RPing.

As far as I Know in MR1 you could only train one monster at a time. You could store multiple monsters but you could only raise and train one at a time.

And as for customizing the ranch, if you mean upgrading it. This is totally different. In MR4 You can add or remove all kinds of training equipment and other items. The better you customize the better your monsters will train.

So I can kinda see how your saying it's similar but MR4 (As far as I know) is the first in the series to have these features.
  • Options
    edited May 2003
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would imagine that it has everything to do with the fact that Pokemon is a household name while Monster Rancher is no where near as well known.
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited May 2003
    No, popularity has nothing to do with the games we cover. It just depends on if the various section heads consider a game to be "RPG enough," and so far the Monster Rancher games have't qualified. If course, this practice often leads to some games that clearly aren't RPGs getting covered (Harvest Moon still boggles my mind, for example).