If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2016 Completed Games List

Comments

• ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    Wild Arms 2 (PSP via PSN)

Well, that was most certainly a PS1 JRPG. Probably more so than the first game, which felt more in line with the design choices of the previous generation (though, to be fair, it is a fairly early RPG for that generation). I did overall enjoy it, but I think that I found the first game more charming. Probably helps that the first game lacked any sort of pretension. Holy crap, if I see the word hero in quotation marks again anytime soon, I will flip. The localized script, while likely more grammatically correct than Wild Arm's, felt far weaker just because of the content--anything less than perfect for such a haughty story ends up looking like a joke. Honestly, everything was pretty much fine until the Demon Pillars. Then everyone stopped making any sense and ceased to speak like human beings for the rest of the game. That said, there was most certainly one improvement, hands down: the battle system. The way Force is used in this game is so much better than the previous, since I felt like Cecilia was always handicapped by her MP. I enjoyed being able to use magic in every battle; made the mage characters always equally useful. Well, that's it for the series for me, since I am not likely to go hunt down the PS2 games when I already am drowning in a backlog. Too bad they aren't on PSN as PS2 Classics; though that would only work out for me if the Vita could play PS2 Classics--seriously, why doesn't it? I would legitimately consider a Vita if I could play PS2 Classics on it.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Saturday Morning RPG (PS4) -- Review to come.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Finished off Echoes of Aetheria (PC), took around 15 hours. Fun little game overall, though was getting a little tired of it at the end. Expect a review during the week.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    Assassin's Creed: Unity (PS4) and Dead Kings DLC - Platinum Trophy

Well, I can certainly understand the anti-hype around this game now. To keep it short, I think the ultimate, core issue for the game is that it is not a sequel to the III/IV games for the previous years. As the series progressed, the games were building upon each other, with an occasional engine shift (I->II->III/IV). Unity is instead a split evolution from the first game, designed to go in a completely different direction explored in Italy and Americas. Instead of focusing on Altair's counter-play, they went back and built combat around more technical parry-positioning combat. Furthermore, stealth was re-emphasized. Unfortunately, none of this worked out; the tools for stealth are significantly limited compared to previous games, and the enemy AI is far more aggressive in combat.

Really, everything else to say about the game seems to really just extend to how unpolished the game is compared to most games past the first game. Even III, the previous redhead stepchild of the series, looks better with this broken mess standing over in the corner at the family gatherings. I will eventually get to Syndicate, but I am not necessarily thrilled to played it since I am not sure how much can be really done to overhaul this particular engine and make it fun again. Fortunately, there is no title released for 2016 in the main series (just those episodic sidescrollers), so maybe the break will help the series. It's been needing a break for YEARS.

Finally, a public thanks to 7thCircle for helping me get the final two co-op only trophies. I was a tad worried that I would have to hunt down some random person on the internet. A bullet dodged for now--if I ever go back to Brotherhood for the Platinum, I will finally have to cross that bridge.
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    Undertale (PC via Steam)

I loved the game, then hated for about an hour, then I loved it and it was everything I wanted. Went back for bonus thing, and now I'm left conflicted. I could talk around this all day, but I won't. Instead, I can say I'm quite satisfied by all of this and that there is something for everyone here.

Definitely time for a new icon, though.
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Finally took out the final boss of Dragon Warrior: Begin a New Quest (PC). It did not go down easy, even after some intensive metal-hunting to boost my levels.
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    Valiant Hearts: Xbone. Holy. Crap. Talk about pulling at the heartstrings. Such a beautiful game with solid music (when there's actually music) and a touching story. Awesome that it was free or I would have never played it.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    2/6/2016 - Metal Slug X (PS One). Normal difficulty. 38 continues, 64 prisoners.

Well, this explains rather nicely why people stopped caring about arcades after the consoles caught up graphically. Throughout the game, I was getting smacked around, but worse, I very rarely felt like it was my fault I met yet another end as I was getting mobbed on both sides by dudes, tanks, mars people both with and without their flying vehicles... Seriously, this was a cynical quarter muncher, redeemed only by how vibrant, colorful and animated the whole thing is. Seriously, the game's gorgeous, and only had one instance of slowdown, on the last stage.

Seriously, no wonder the Neo Geo carts cost $250+, that's how much you'd spend at the arcade to finish these things...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    Trails of Cold Steel [PS3] Quite a cliffhanger to leave things on. Now to wait a year or so.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2016
    Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky Plus (PS Vita) -- review to come!
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited February 2016
    I recently finished the main story of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky for the DS. Forgive me for making assumptions, but I think the people who really like this game look at it with rose-tinted lenses. It's much better than the first PMD, I'll give it that. However, the story is like a painfully cliched and ham-fisted kid's cartoon, though I would say it's about on par with the English-dubbed Pokemon anime. :P I also thought it was annoying how the text would repeat plot points in slightly different words. Also, names get repeated a lot, and I still don't get why your character can have inner monologues but still play the part of a silent hero. :P The localized script is better than the first game, as the characters are given more distinction in their text in comparison. The script in Blue Rescue Team was a little dry at times. If this is the best story Pokemon Mystery Dungeon has managed, including the newest one, Super Mystery Dungeon, I think I'll skip the rest of the series. :P

Explorers of Sky, for all of my complaints, is a decent game. I did enjoy it, mostly. The game is a bit easier than the original PMD, but the mechanics have been improved. It's fun to traverse the dungeons, pick up items, and decide on the fly how far I should go on a single floor. The music was pretty good in spots, especially the first part of the Temporal Tower. I am starting the post-game story content, and I'll likely do the special episodes before Fire Emblem Fates comes out.

Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Just finished off Megadimension Neptunia VII (PS4).

Review will be along fairly soon. Best game in the series since mk2, easily.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited February 2016
    Dungeon Defenders 2 (PC)

I realize the game is still in Alpha, but considering it has a similar amount of content to the original at launch and looks like it may follow a "lots of small patch updates" model, I think its safe to list here for now. An interesting game considering its completely free, but right now its just not as enjoyable as the original DD. The main game, from Easy to Nightmare 3 is far too easy, while Nightmare 4 simply does not seem well balanced for 2 players or reasonable progression in general. The fact that you can only find equipment drops for the character you are currently playing on makes gearing up your tower builds needlessly time consuming. There are a plethora of other smaller issues as well that hold it back such as the lack of physical damaging towers and max number of heros you can create that hold the game back as well.

All that being said, Dungeon Defenders 2 is a pretty fun game that shows some promise if Trendy can remember why the game was so fun before. Personally speaking I had an absolute blast discovering all the strange glitches and unfinished portions. Falling through the map into the abyss, turning oneself invisible, and stacking infinite movespeed that the player could literally teleport across the map was way more fun than it should have been.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited February 2016
    Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (PS4) - 100% Platinum Trophy

A very dark and depressing Final Fantasy title, this game showed off just how horrible war can be. The soundtrack beautiful, the story good so far. I say so far simply because it won't show all cutscenes it's holding back until the 2nd playthrough. Gameplay was good and challenging, even on the lowest difficulty level. I do say for everybody to play this game at least once or watch a playthrough of it, it's definitely a Final Fantasy that shows how dark SE can take it if they really wanted to.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS).

Finished up 10 star quests and there doesn't seem to be anything of a higher tier than this remaining. Managed to almost perfect my Ninja build, though theres still some CP grinding required to fully finish my last 2 abilities up to level 16. Overall it was a decent game, but not as good as I was expecting. The class and ability system were tons of fun to mess around with, and the bosses they did have were fairly well designed. Unfortunately there really is nothing like a "G-Rank" in this game that forces the player to play on a higher difficulty. The settings are there if the player chooses to accept them, but from the outset only 4 are available. Additionally, theres no reward for beating the content this way other than some extra CP, so theres little incentive to increase the challenge. Speaking of rewards, it was rare that I actually found armor and weapons that I liked. For something with a "Material gathering" system, there could have been so much more to spend these things on.

Ultimately I had a respectable time with FF Explorers' multiplayer, even if it wasn't quite as entertaining as I'd hoped going in.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited February 2016
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (Vita) - 58 hours

The ending really nailed it, but now I'm sad to have to wait on the sequel. Enjoyed it more than Sky FC, but not as much as Sky SC.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    We can revote on GOTY in a couple months and swap them just for you. No one will notice :P
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes (DS) -- third time through this one, and I still enjoy it, though the last chapter and ending remain slightly disappointing.
    Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes (DS) -- third time through this one, and I still enjoy it, though the last chapter and ending remain slightly disappointing.

Getting a lot of use out of your DS lately, I've noticed.
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PS3)

Wow, what a game. Think I actually spent double the amount of hours Mac did on it. Whats there to say when you love everything about a game and it breaks into one of your top favorites of all time? Falcom really nailed the perfect ending, so much so that its probably the toughest wait I've ever had to endure for a second title. Battle system was fantastic, the addition of the Master Quartz system allowed for versatile character customization and the normal Quartz available were much more interesting than what I recall being in FC. The way the story managed to enthrall the player even with simple landscapes and provide constant references and mystery build ups sprinkled along an incredibly long journey was nothing short of amazing. Its going to take a powerful force of willpower to keep my eyes away from stuff relating to the sequel now!
    May you have greater willpower than I and not immediately go out and spoil CSII's ending for yourself!
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Neat to see folks finally wrapping up Cold Steel. It's a beast of a game, but so so so satisfying.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    Agreed, its great to see yall enjoying it so much as well. I can certainly see where your curiosity got the best of you Doom, waiting an entire year after an ending like that, especially with all the ties to Zero and Ao that may never be translated is excruciating.
    Zero and Ao I'd spoiled myself on a while ago, and yeah there's a bunch of stuff in CS where the context changes significantly if you've played those games before. They even use that to mess with players a bit, like the part in chapter 5 where you
    Spoiler:
    reach the bit in the prologue, except Crow and Millium are there, a change that would make anyone familiar with zero/ao extremely suspicious.

Eurogamer also just posted an interview that makes it seem that Falcom has at least some interest in getting the whole series out in English, so we might see those games yet - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-14-falcom-vs-the-fans

Anyway on the topic of trails and also this thread I beat The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC (PC) again, since I decided after beating CS I'd go play the series through again. While the events in question don't happen until SC, it reminded me that Jenis academy (CS spoilers)
    Spoiler:
    ALSO has a creepy old schoolhouse that ALSO connects to a bunch of ruins that ALSO has a giant robot at the bottom. Must be part of the Zemurian school building code.
    Clix wrote: »

Getting a lot of use out of your DS lately, I've noticed.

Twelve games finished on the 3DS (including DS and downloadables) last year, so it's not like this is anything new... ;)

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    7thCircle wrote: »
    We can revote on GOTY in a couple months and swap them just for you. No one will notice :P

No, we got the order right.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    Destiny: Taken King (and all other DLC): XBone. That was SO much better than the main campaign. At least they got it right the second time around for the story. :D
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    Finished Invisible Inc. (PC) on Beginner mode. I'm usually pretty good at strategy games, but this one was a bit tough to get a handle on at first. I was able to get things together, though, and it felt pretty great to get through a couple missions without making a single mistake. I did not enable the DLC on my first playthrough, in order to get a feel for the game, but I will for my next run. I enjoyed the extra layers of strategy this game employs and the fact that it is a stealth game makes everything feel more intense.
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    Suikoden 2 (PSX)

It only took me 16 years...
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    edited February 2016
    Metal Slug 3(psp)

this is an really hard game, that a lot of pratice to really manage to get far without too much dead!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif