If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2016 Completed Games List

Comments

• CronoCrono Member Full Members
    Super Mario Bros (AllStars version): SNES. Been a while since I played this version, which is weird. I forgot how pretty the graphics were.
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Quest for Infamy: Who Needs a Hero, Anyway? (PC) - Sorcerer's path. I may try this again as a Brigand or Thief while I'm doing the review this week.
  • IzlimakIzlimak New Member Full Members
    Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance - Xbox (original)

Started up this up expecting it to be a fun action rpg, but found it to be a very average and frustrating game. First of all, there are only three choice of classes, that being a ranger, fighter and sorceress. I chose the sorceress, and that turned out to be a bad idea. I barely was able to kill one enemy with magic before having to melee the rest of a group. I felt that 80% of this game I was playing melee rather than being a magic user. If you do play a sorceress, expect to hear ” I can’t do that right now ” ( or what ever she says ) as you continually run out of magic and end up just bashing mobs to death like I mentioned. The only spell I felt useful was Meteor Swarm.

The combat I didn’t like either. Most times you will be fighting a group of enemies and each time you get hit, you get stunned for half a second and that ruins the flow of the combat. The stun can also interrupt your spell casting. I was playing the game on easy and was still dying quite a lot. Most times was either due to multiple ranged enemies or the enemy having longer reach than my character (my character with a sword and them with a dagger Confused).

The game is short. Not sure how long exactly it took me to finish it, but it seemed to be about 4-6hrs. The story was not great, and the game never really had a real ending, but a ‘to be continued ’ ending.

For an xbox game, I thought the graphics were good. The layout of the dungeons were fine. The enemy variety was adequate and rarely saw any models being reused. Loot dropped constantly, although nearly all of it was much worse than the gear I was able to buy from the store. Don’t expect visually appealing gear either, with the weapons and shields just having a blue glow to them.

Overall I was really disappointed in Dark Alliance. I’d much prefer similar games like diablo or torchlight.

4/10
  • IzlimakIzlimak New Member Full Members
    Firewatch - PS4

Pros

- Voice Acting
    - Graphics
    - Strong beginning and middle story

Cons

- Frame rate issues
    - Short in length
    - Interaction of items that made no sense to the character or plot (at least to me)
    - Ending

Felt this game could have done with more time in development and a better ending. Overall, I still think it was good, just not great.

7/10
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    edited February 2016
    Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland - (Vita)

Wow, this game was amazing. It's a very simple game, but is such a feel-good adventure. I couldn't get enough of it. It just felt really nice to play, I'm really happy the current Year of Themes spurred me to take the plunge. Probably going to platinum this too, but a few of the remaining trophies require use of the "Overtime" mode. Because of plot, I may want to play the other games in the trilogy first. Going to need to decide about that, but I also have Digimon Story :Cyber Sleuth waiting for me plus Fire Emblem: Fates (Birthright) showing up later this week. Things will be busy, it seems!
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Murdered: Soul Suspect (PS4) -- This was all right, but dammit the demon bits were so poorly done and felt tacked on.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited February 2016
    Final Fantasy 13 (PS3)

Well! first game of the year...Anyway I found this pretty challenging, the last boss gave me some trouble (must of tried it 4-5 times..). Liked the story, battle system was okay tho it has its flaws, seriously.

Might get the other ones in the series later on off Steam. NOT PS3 then b/c of serious DLC issues. ><
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    If you liked FFXIII, the second part of it was the true gem of the series
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    XCOM: Enemy Within (PC) I've been poking at this for several months, but finally finished it. I had previously beaten Enemy Unknown on console, but this was my first time playing the Enemy Within additions. I didn't take full advantage of all the add-ons, but I wrecked some shop with the MEC troopers. The Exalt missions were not terribly difficult, but did mix things up a bit, so that was fine. Still a really good return by the franchise after a long hiatus. I'm hoping that by the time I upgrade my PC, XCOM 2 will be patched up and ready to go.
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (PS4) - Platinum Trophy

I will post my thoughts on the Month of Thread. I will say this, of the FNC games that I have played, this was still better than FFXIII. I still liked XIII-2 more, since it felt more balanced.
  • valsarvalsar Member Full Members
    Bayonetta (WiiU)
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    2/21/2016 - Captain America and the Avengers (Arcade). All defaults, and while I can't say exactly how many credits I blew, I can say somewhat certainly that it was less than 25. Not the greatest of arcade games, certainly. The graphics are bland and not detailed, the sprites are small, and even by the already low standard of beat-em-ups, it's a simplistic game. However, I think I'll always look back at this one fondly due to my childhood experience with it.

Fun story, when I was a little boy, the video store by my house had a Captain America and the Avengers machine, and one day, I noticed that the change chute door on P1 side could trigger a free credit by being pushed up into the machine forcefully. Haha, I beat the whole game that day, stupid ass grin on my face the whole while because I'd gotten free games out of the arcade machines. Yes, I was an easy one to please back in those halcyon days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Hitman GO: Definitive Edition (Vita) - 6 hours. A great port of a mobile game. Felt right at home on Vita.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Persona 4: Arena (PS3)

My first jump into the game, and I've 100% story mode. I love how each character's story is unique with its own wackiness, yet eventually converges onto the same endgame story. Just a shame that I had to complete multiple stories just to gain access to the finale of each character.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2016
    Far Cry 4 (PS4). I don't know what happened with the plot or storytelling in this one. I like Far Cry's motion capture, 1st person, camera-hijacking scenes a lot and the characters were interesting, but it was like the writers gave up.
    Spoiler:
    I ended up not killing Pagan for no real reason other than he didn't attack Ajay or seem as evil as his lieutenants, whom I think he wanted Ajay to murder anyway.
    Just a weird, disconnected story that felt like 3/4 of the plot was left on the cutting floor. The gameplay was fine.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Persona 4: Arena Ultimax (PS3)

Both the P4 and P3 storylines have been completed, as well as the DLC Story. The game's story was rather darker compared to the previous entry, but it was also done much better. I was happy to see how much the P3 cast have grown since their game, and even managed to get a few new views of certain characters from the game. The endings were all heartwarming, including that of a certain P4 villain. I was rather surprised that
    Spoiler:
    Ikutsuki even cared enough about somebody to have them taken care of in a hospital, despite his "End of the World" mindset. Even Evil Has Loved Ones indeed.

This game left me with a huge hunger to replay P3P and P4G in anticipation of Persona 5. But first...I need to see about getting a cheap copy of Dancing All Night so I can finish the P4 series of games.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Fire Emblems Fates: Birthright - 3DS

So much love for this game. Now going to try Conquest
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC [PC] beaten with Team Friendzone
    Spoiler:
    Kevin and Josette.

Stumbled on a few scenes and details I missed on my previous runs, so that's cool. Wondering now whether to jump right into a replay of Cold Steel or something completely different.
    edited March 2016
    7thCircle wrote: »
    Far Cry 4 (PS4).

Just a weird, disconnected story that felt like 3/4 of the plot was left on the cutting floor. The gameplay was fine.

Yeah, expecting compelling storytelling out of the mess that is Far Cry is expecting too much. The gameplay is where that game is focused, and Ubi does very little to hide it. Makes me curious about how hilarious FarCry Primal's story is going to be.

Anyway...

2/28/16 - Super Street Fighter II (Genesis). 4-star difficulty, 16-0* as Ryu. Fun little game, really holds up even after all these years. Still, I'm so unused to playing fighting games with pads... And man, the Genesis version's music was nowhere near as good as the SNES'.

(*:The SNES and Genesis versions of Super Street Fighter II have a different feature each. While the SNES version lets you set the game speed up to a ludicrous degree, the Genesis version lets you set the arcade mode from "normal" to "expert." In "expert," you face all 16 characters, as opposed to the normal 12.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
    edited March 2016
    2/29/16 - Mega Man (Xbox One via Megaman Legacy Collection). You know, I've beaten this game a few times, never without the pause trick mind, and I end up thinking the same thing - how did this series ever keep going after this game? The initial six stages aren't terrible, and the six robot masters are actually pretty well balanced (besides Elecman), but once you get to Wily's Castle, the whole thing goes straight to pot. Balance is thrown out the window in favor of romhack level difficulty, especially with the Yellow Devil, the Wily 3 boss (the bubble robots are such a pain) and the second form of Wily himself. And don't even get me started on that goddamned momentum that made me slip to a pit death more than once.

I'm glad the series DID continue, as we got many excellent titles afterward, but this game is bag of balls. Not even fried ones. Just raw, smelly balls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Well for me, it did take some years to finally beat the Yellow Devil(never heard of the pause trick before), The first Mega Man is one that I enjoy a lot, but I can see why you don't like it, but for me I was so proud to finally beat it, that it created a love for that game. I thought that the second one was way too easy.
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth (PS4) finished off this evening (43 hours total play time). Review should be coming later this week but very much enjoyed it.

Final Digimon team for those interested (descending order of usage):
    Spoiler:
    Gaiomon
    BlackWarGreymon
    Minervamon
    Sakuyamon
    HerculesKabuterimon
    MagnaAgemon
    SuperStarmon
    Lotosmon
    MetalEtemon
    GrapLeomon
    ExVeemon
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    smacd wrote: »
    how did this series ever keep going after this game? The initial six stages aren't terrible, and the six robot masters are actually pretty well balanced (besides Elecman), but once you get to Wily's Castle, the whole thing goes straight to pot.

It was a different world of gaming in the mid 80s, back when there was a concept called "Nintendo Hard". The entire concept of balancing a game was still at least a decade out.

In modern times, most gamers never get anywhere near beating the games they play. I'm not sure if there is any information about what it was like back then, but it might be that many people never GOT to Wily's castle in MM1. On the other hand, maybe a lot of people actually did finish the game, since there were far fewer games to buy and people used to play games over and over and over back then.

I've heard that statistic many, many times, and I wonder how true that it, considering it only counts people who are consistently on networks. I can't imagine that being true for people who don't play online all that much, and the fact that more and more elaborate endings are made for games as time goes on suggests that SOMEONE's looking at them.

And yeah, I've always been aware of "Nintendo Hard" (being 37 at time of writing), but even then, I didn't really have the patience. Granted, I also started with 2 (as I imagine many others did), but I never did like the notion of obnoxious, arbitrary difficulty even then. JRPGs, when I discovered them, proved quite the oasis from that crap... At least much of the time.
    Ombres wrote:
    Well for me, it did take some years to finally beat the Yellow Devil(never heard of the pause trick before), The first Mega Man is one that I enjoy a lot, but I can see why you don't like it, but for me I was so proud to finally beat it, that it created a love for that game. I thought that the second one was way too easy.

Funny you should say that...

3/1/2016 - Mega Man II (Xbox One via Megaman Legacy Collection). Difficult (Original Japanese) difficulty. Now I need to dig it out, but I don't remember the Megaman Anniversary Collection version of MMII having the difficulty select, so that's a nice touch. On that difficulty mode, the game has quite the bit more bite to it, though it's broken in many places due to just how OP the Metal Blades are. Overall, a fun game, and while nowhere near the easiest of them (I still contend that title goes to IV), but certainly a nice break after MMI.

That Wily boss where you have to use ALL your Crash Power can, however, get reamed. With a paddle. Sideways.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Ombres wrote:

Funny you should say that...

3/1/2016 - Mega Man II (Xbox One via Megaman Legacy Collection). Difficult (Original Japanese) difficulty. Now I need to dig it out, but I don't remember the Megaman Anniversary Collection version of MMII having the difficulty select, so that's a nice touch. On that difficulty mode, the game has quite the bit more bite to it, though it's broken in many places due to just how OP the Metal Blades are. Overall, a fun game, and while nowhere near the easiest of them (I still contend that title goes to IV), but certainly a nice break after MMI.

indeed, might have to look at that someday!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Just wrapped up Pokemon Blue Version for the first time in probably 17 or 18 years. It holds up shockingly well. Not sure what platform to list this as. It's a Game Boy game, but I played it on the 3DS Virtual Console.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    omegabyte wrote: »
    Just wrapped up Pokemon Blue Version for the first time in probably 17 or 18 years. It holds up shockingly well. Not sure what platform to list this as. It's a Game Boy game, but I played it on the 3DS Virtual Console.

I put VC games under the physical platform used and then make a note of the use of a specific VC platform. For for this case, it is under 3DS with an additional (via GB VC). The only time I am not dogmatic about physical platform is for direct-hardward emulation. For example, a GBA game completed on a DS would still count towards GBA since the machine is running game as such. Same for any kind of physical backwards compatibility.
    edited March 2016
    To be fair, Pokemon games haven't really fundamentally changed. It's usually a few gimmicks and a whole bunch more Pokemon. You can really jump into any of the games and it'll still be pretty easy to get around. Not that this is bad, mind you. If it ain't broke and all that.

Speaking of conservative, iterative franchises...

3/2/2016 - Mega Man III (Xbox One via Megaman Legacy Collection) - Much better balancing than II while still having a good bit to it. Perhaps the best designed NES game, only undermined by the fact that Rush Jet is so deliciously easy to abuse and the wildly inconsistent power consumption on Top Man's weapon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    To be fair, Pokemon games haven't really fundamentally changed. It's usually a few gimmicks and a whole bunch more Pokemon. You can really jump into any of the games and it'll still be pretty easy to get around. Not that this is bad, mind you. If it ain't broke and all that.

Speaking of conservative, iterative franchises...

3/2/2016 - Mega Man III (Xbox One via Megaman Legacy Collection) - Much better balancing than II while still having a good bit to it. Perhaps the best designed NES game, only undermined by the fact that Rush Jet is so deliciously easy to abuse and the wildly inconsistent power consumption on Top Man's weapon.

Funny thing is, it actually has changed a LOT if you compare RBY to XY, and not just visually. So many mechanics have changed over the years in significant ways. Most of the biggest changes happened in gen 3 and 4 when they introduced abilities and special/physical attacks. As a result, stuff that's in no way viable in XY actually work pretty well in RBY. For instance, my Marowak had Blizzard and Fire Blast. In XY these moves would be pretty much useless on it, but in RBY it works well because Special affects both defense and offense. It's kinda cool looking back at how things have changed.

You're right that the fundamental concept hasn't evolved that much, but that's true of almost any game series, really.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...