If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2016 Completed Games List

Comments

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Return to PopoloCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale (3DS) -- Review to come soon!
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    Mortal Kombat X (XBONE). Finished story mode. Did not enjoy this one nearly as much as MK9. It had been quite a while since I beat MK9, but it felt like there was a lot of things that changed that were never explained. And it just wasn't as interesting of a story. I do like some of the new characters, and I'll certainly mess around with the towers and so forth, but I'm glad I got this one at a big discount.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited March 2016
    omegabyte wrote: »
    Funny thing is, it actually has changed a LOT if you compare RBY to XY, and not just visually. So many mechanics have changed over the years in significant ways. Most of the biggest changes happened in gen 3 and 4 when they introduced abilities and special/physical attacks. As a result, stuff that's in no way viable in XY actually work pretty well in RBY. For instance, my Marowak had Blizzard and Fire Blast. In XY these moves would be pretty much useless on it, but in RBY it works well because Special affects both defense and offense. It's kinda cool looking back at how things have changed.

You're right that the fundamental concept hasn't evolved that much, but that's true of almost any game series, really.

True enough. People crying "LACK OF INNOVATION!!!!" when looking at modern games don't realize that innovative games are hard to do, and very few "innovative" games end up being fun. It's hard to break paradigms when so many paradigms have been broken over the past 50 years.
    redwing42 wrote: »
    Mortal Kombat X (XBONE). Finished story mode. Did not enjoy this one nearly as much as MK9. It had been quite a while since I beat MK9, but it felt like there was a lot of things that changed that were never explained. And it just wasn't as interesting of a story. I do like some of the new characters, and I'll certainly mess around with the towers and so forth, but I'm glad I got this one at a big discount.

I'll admit this whole "new generation of kombatants!" thing was kind of lame. Not enough of those characters were all that great (though Ferra/Torr and Cassie were fun). I'll be getting XL in a week or so, provided the extended content is on disc like it was with MK9, since the gameplay is still top-notch, but the cast of MK9's story was more compelling.

Anyway, let's keep going...

3/3/2016 - Mega Man IV (Xbox One via Megaman Legacy Collection) - Fun game, certainly easier than the rest up to now, though the flowchart seems to be a lot more important in this one. You have to start with Toad Man (who's laughably easy) and follow the weakness circus, as bustering anyone but Toad Man is an absolute pain.

Anyway, here's a tip to playing these games on Xbone. Other than LB (which is MM1's pause function by default, everything defaults to the face buttons. Setting auto-fire to one of the spare shoulder buttons will help alleviate some thumb cramping when switching between the auto and normal fire.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    Welp, another day, another MM entry.

3/4/2016 - Mega Man V (Xbone via Megaman Legacy Collection). While more difficult than V, it's not necessarily challenging. The difficulty comes not from tricky platforms or clever patterns, but from the fact that six out of the eight new weapons sucking an arse so hard it prolapses. Most of the game, you're just better off bustering than even looking at the other weapons, even for most of the bosses. The designers clearly knew this game was BS too, judging by all the energy tanks littered around. All around an uninspired and cynical entry in the series, and part of the reason people started getting so tired of the aggressive milking.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    Pokemon SoulSilver Version (DS)

Well, revisited Gen IV for the first time in three years. While I still like Gen IV the most, the various additions have made the series as a whole better, even though the games themselves have not individually reached the same heights as Platinum and HS/SS. I especially missed the ease of post-game grinding introduced in Gen V. Took two weeks to get strong enough to rematch the Gym Leaders, Elite Four, Champion, and Red. My team this time was a Kanto one: Shisa the Arcanine, Moa the Dodrio, Sawamura the Hitmonlee, Genganger the Gengar, Jinmenju the Exeggutor, and Pearl the Cloyster. It took a while, but this team did eventually come into its own. I may possibly play Platinum later this year, likely May.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    3/3/2016 - Mega Man IV (Xbox One via Megaman Legacy Collection) - Fun game, certainly easier than the rest up to now, though the flowchart seems to be a lot more important in this one. You have to start with Toad Man (who's laughably easy) and follow the weakness circus, as bustering anyone but Toad Man is an absolute pain.

Anyway, here's a tip to playing these games on Xbone. Other than LB (which is MM1's pause function by default, everything defaults to the face buttons. Setting auto-fire to one of the spare shoulder buttons will help alleviate some thumb cramping when switching between the auto and normal fire.

I always started with Skullman
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS

Very enjoyable, my thoughts on this are in the Year of Series thread.
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

I always started with Skullman

Really? Interesting. Probably the first person I've heard of who didn't start with Toad Man.

Anyway, moving on...

Mega Man VI (Xbone via Megaman Legacy Collection). Far, far better than Mega Man V. The weapons are mostly fun to use, and the punch and jet adapters make exploring the levels a lot easier, which helps when trying to go through the secret passages for the Beat parts. Of course, the weapons actually meaning something means that the game is a bit easier this time, more along the lines of Mega Man III than the piss-easy Mega Man IV. However, it was a fitting send-off to the NES series.

I guess, now that I've beaten all six games, it's time to give my thoughts on the collection as a whole. While having only the NES games (unlike the Anniversary Collection on PS2), they're solidly emulated and play without any issue. There's also a ton of images and music to browse through along with a database of enemies for each game. It's easy to tell that some actual care went into this one, which is a surprise when compared with Capcom's normal modern-era output.

Oddly enough, the option to quick-select weapons is gone. There's certainly enough buttons on the controller to support the feature. In the default config, LB is the only shoulder button used. It couldn't have been a matter of difficulty in getting the feature to work on the triggers... Still, I guess that's a point in its favor for faithful recreation. Also worth noting, the physical version of the game comes pre-patched, so none of the audio issues that plagued the initial digital release.

At $30, it's not a bad way to pick up the Megaman NES series if you're looking for a faithful rendition of the games without any graphical flourishes whatsoever (though an optional border image and some nice filters round out the presentation). Overall, a fine example of how to do a retro compilation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    Rogue Legacy (PC)
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • valsarvalsar Member Full Members
    Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (PS4) I enjoyed it for the most part but wow did the story get crazy near the end.
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    Call of Duty: Ghosts: Xbone. Much better campaign then the past few ones I played, but it's my first one in maybe 3-4 years. I think BO 2 was the last one I really played, maybe.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    Tales From the Borderlands Ep.1 - Zer0 Sum (XBONE) Just finally got around to working on this, and it is a bunch of fun. I've played the first Season of Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us, and it is nice to be in a the shoes of someone expected to be a jerk for a change.
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    Age of Decadence (PC) This game has many endings based on the background you choose and the choices you make, so I'm sure I have a lot more to see... But since my mercenary just killed the last of the Gods, I'll call it completed.
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

edited March 2016
    Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations - 3DS

Honestly the most interesting of the three paths for battle maps however there were some "revelations" that just seemed slightly shoehorned. Over all I felt the other two story paths were better told over the course of those runs but there some really neat moments. All told ... pretty decent entry as a whole.
    sig.gif

• ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited March 2016
    Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations - 3DS

Honestly the most interesting of the three paths for battle maps however there were some "revelations" that just seemed slightly shoehorned. Over all I felt the other two story paths were better told over the course of those runs but there some really neat moments. All told ... pretty decent entry as a whole.

Time for the obvious question everyone that plays all three must eventually weigh in on: Which of the three versions of Fates is the best? A better way to examine the question: If only one of these three games existed, which is the one that should go down as the definitive 12th Fire Emblem title?
    Clix wrote: »
    Fire Emblem Fates: Revlations - 3DS

Time for the obvious question everyone that plays all three must eventually weigh in on: Which of the three versions of Fates is the best? A better way to examine the question: If only one of these three games existed, which is the one that should go down as the definitive 12th Fire Emblem title?

All and none, Revelations would not make sense without the other two as readily. However one particular level in Revelations annoyed me so bad with level designed and the boss felt shoed in on that very same level. The whole thing is FE12 and depending on which one you play depends on the style of gaming you like.
    sig.gif

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright (3DS) is finally knocked out. Been wanting to play this since it released but was in the middle of reviewing other titles. Really loved this game as much as I did Awakening, and thought the story and the characters were quite great. This was the perfect game to play on the train to and from work. I wonder if any other 2016 releases will beat this one for me -- it's still early enough in the year!
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Just finished The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (Wii U).

I'll write a review over the next few days, but I really didn't feel it as much as I did the first time I played. The updates are much more subtle than they were in Wind Waker HD, and the graphic style doesn't lend itself as well to the HD treatment as Wind Waker's cel shading did.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction (PC)

Compared to my first playthrough as a Barbarian, I had an easier time with my Paladin (Zeal + Life steal FTW!)
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Pokkén Tournament (Wii U) for a review.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
    smacd wrote: »
    Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)

Considering how much I've found that I dislike SRPGs, I actually found this one's gameplay not particularly bad- as long as I play on Normal-Casual. I would absolutely hate playing any game in this series without casual mode. The battles didn't particularly last too long, though it would have been nice for casual mode to not cause instant game over if Chrom or the Tactician lose in battle. And the cut scenes were absolutely gorgeous.

The plot was mildly interesting, though there are some annoyingly glaring plot holes that really take me out of it. There is a fairly large relationship system that allows characters to eventually marry and have children in the right situations, which is interesting in itself, but the plot method for having these children characters join your party felt like deus ex machina with no explanation for how it was accomplished. At least they gave a reason for it, even if it was flimsy. In the end though, the plot is fairly forgettable.

I can see why many people give this game a lot of praise, however while I had some mild fun with it, I found the game mediocre at best. The parts that others seem to love feel like a timesink I'm just not interested in. Glad I gave it a shot, but I don't see myself playing any other Fire Emblem games.

Might like Fates slightly better, the children thing is pure fluff and there is now Normal Phoenix mode which revives a fallen character the following turn. This also includes the main character so far less game overs
    sig.gif

• Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited March 2016
    How the children get there is explained, albeit quickly:
    Spoiler:
    Naga in the future devises a ritual that opens a portal to the past. Lucina and the other second generation characters go through to try and change the past. Grima and a ton of Risen also follow them.
    It's handled a little sloppily, and as far as the main plot is concerned, only Lucina exists. Still, I thought the explanation itself was okay. The supports do explain things a little more, like stating that the children didn't so much travel into the past as they did travel to a parallel universe, avoiding those nasty paradoxes.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited March 2016
    One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 (PS3)

Pros of this game, it's a Dynasty Warriors game with One Piece characters and world. Cons, the story is pretty meh, it has the stupid "beat an ally's Crew Log in order to unlock them as usable as a support in battle" system here, and you HAVE to get everybody done just to unlock the path to the true ending. Luckily I got said ending, so I'm done with this game.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    Call of Duty Advanced Warfare (PS4) I enjoyed it more then I enjoyed BO3.
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
    Transformers Devastation (PS4) I expected it to be a bit longer then it was. I had heard it was around 6-7 hours and it took me almost 5 to finish.
    edited March 2018
    deleted.