If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2016 Completed Games List

Comments

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (Vita) finally finished. Now begins the wait.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    L.A Noire (PS3) -- Glad I didn't play this one when it came out, if only because I feel like the hype train would have ruined the experience for me. I really liked the detective aspects, though some of the gameplay felt very rough around the edges. Definitely some great ideas here, though.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    Nyx wrote: »
    L.A Noire (PS3) -- Glad I didn't play this one when it came out, if only because I feel like the hype train would have ruined the experience for me. I really liked the detective aspects, though some of the gameplay felt very rough around the edges. Definitely some great ideas here, though.

My wife and I played this years ago, and we enjoyed it quite a bit. The overarching story kind of fell off the rails by the end, but the individual cases were good. The action sequences were not great, though, and the driving was terrible.
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Just finished up Pokemon Omega Ruby (3DS)

My team?

Ditto
    Ditto
    Ditto
    Ditto
    Ditto
    and....

DITTO!

FEAR MY DITTO ARMY!
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    Finished Ys Origin (PC) with Hugo Fact

Now I've done every character's storyline.
    Day of the Tentacle Remastered (PS4) -- Never got to play this game back when it came out, so of course I scooped this up and finished it on a day off. So funny and delightful. Remember not to put your hamsters in the microwave!
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    SwapQuest (Vita) finished off this evening, took a little over four hours overall. Hopefully have a quick review up later in the week.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    Ziggurat (PC via Steam)

Though this game is quite possibly the best rouge-like I've played, I am starting to come to grips that the genre probably isn't really for me. That said, I really needed something to pick up and put down play. I feel like I've lost track of many of the shorter experiences that gaming can provide. Enough of that though.

Again, this may be the best rouge-like I've played to date. You are one of many magical apprentices that needs to complete the Ziggurat, in order to be a full-blown magic person. The Ziggurat is randomly generated, and has a host of pretty interesting monsters that stand in your way. I'm going to likely look into more of Milkstone, the developers, previous games to see what else they have in store.

• SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    Little Inferno (PC via Steam)

I have no earthly idea what even... I'm not even sure how... Well, I finished this game and am now very disturbed for many reasons. This was definitely something, that's for sure.
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest (3DS)

Yay, my first FEF storyline is complete. I very much enjoyed the game like I tend to with FE games. That said, I do feel like I kind of missed the point, since I played the game on Casual while switching to Phoenix for grinding on the DLC maps. Hell, I really cheated by Eternal Seal-ing my main 16 fighters up to level 20/25. I might keep playing a bit if I feel like it next week at work to grind out more supports, like marrying off the kids. Lastly, I felt like the last two maps were pretty weak, especially after how tough the previous ones were.

Normally, I would list off my top body-count-contributors, but this game did not do that for some reason--I wasn't taking notes during my ending to see since I usually expect for the game to highlight it for me. Thus, I will personally say that my MVPs felt like female Avatar, Charlotte, and Benny. As much as I liked Effie and Arthur, I ultimately replaced that couple with Charlotte and Benny since Arthur's nonexistent Luck status felt like too much of a liability. Sure, Charlotte has no Resistance, but I swapped her over to Maid to get Tomebreaker, trivializing the matter completely. Meanwhile, Benny has no speed, but the new General ability actually makes that a good thing, while Effie had more speed but not enough to matter, so they were largely wasted points.

My roommate is almost done with Birthright, but I am not sure that I want to jump onto that so quickly. Not sure exactly what next month will bring.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Ys Memories of Celceta(PSVita)

I am glad that we were finally able to play the fourth story of Adol, I wonder if they change it from the original one and I hope we will get the fifth one someday.
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited July 2016
    I completed Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest for the (3DS). There are times when I wish I weren't so stubborn about permadeath, 'cause I had to restart those last two maps several times, especially since there was no way to save between chapter 27 and Endgame. I had a very close call with using Elise to attack the last boss, but it was fortunately beaten. I noticed during the ending cards that the paired ending probably aren't unique, which is a shame. I suppose that would have been time consuming, and the writer had enough on his hands which three storylines.

In most respects this is a fantastic return to form for Fire Emblem. The variety in maps and win conditions, challenge level and overall balance in fights is fantastic. I especially love how the once crazily broken pair-up can be used either offensively or defensively, and better yet, used by your opponents. Manipulating Dragon Veins is neat, too. The music is great as well. The story is awkward in spots, but it's worlds better than Awakening's, especially since the pacing is better. The characters and supports conversations are quite enjoyable, and I've yet to spot any terrible ones. A few were a bit dull, but not bad. It's odd; I can see a difference between Treehouse's scripts and 8-4's, as I feel Fates is similar to previous Fire Emblems like the Tellius games, but I can't explain why. They're both equally good, though.

And I'll say it again: please don't bring back kids, Intelligent Systems. Not if you're going to come up with this lame a reason to include them. I'm sure people will be happy enough with Avatars and supports leading to marriage.

Now onto Brithright. I'm not looking as forward to that, but I do like how different the classes seem.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited March 2016
    You could saved mid-battle.

And a number of the classes in Birthright (save the ones off of Ninja) had been in the game before with different names

Myrmidon = Samurai
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited July 2016
    Well, I didn't see it. I could do the normal bookmark, but there was no save at the start of Endgame. I was playing on classic.

The Kinshi Knight is (I think) the first flying archer, which is pretty darn neat. I admit, IT is more due to the appearance of the classes than them being particularly inventive.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited March 2018
    deleted.
    Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax (PS3) - Platinum Trophy

Oh boy, this was way tougher than I initially guessed going in. Combat is pretty simple (2D cross-over fighter a la Marvel vs. Capcom), but the challenges are just on the edge of obnoxious. Survivor was completing 20 straight Best 2/3 matches with limited HP. Standard stuff, and really not too bad. It just always ramped up in difficulty around match 15. Time Attack was nine Best 2/3 in under 8 minutes. This was very difficult, but it was still nothing to the final challenge: Score Attack. Now, getting 300,000,000 doesn't really mean anything on the surface. In execution, this basically means getting nine Best 2/3 on Perfect AND with a Super Move Finish. For me, this essentially became a luck-based mission. I almost gave up in 2015, but I finally picked it back up last week. Just as I was losing heart again, I did it.

As for the game proper, Dengeki Bunko is a super popular imprint of Japanese Light Novels (think Young Adult Fiction combined with Fantasy/Sci-fi through an manga/anime filter). Some of their properties are quite reputable, like Spice and Wolf, Kino's Journey, Boogiepop, and Durarara!!. However, their bread and butter are series like Sword Art Online, The Irregular at Magic High School, My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute, and A Certain Magical Index. As such, most of the fighting roster was the latter, while supports were usually of the former. The character that I liked the most fighting-style-wise was Yukina from a series called Strike the Blood, which I had frankly not heard of prior to this game. While I found her fun to use, she also had the personality and design of cardboard wearing a generic Japanese high school uniform. That said, for completing the above mentioned challenges, I had to use Mikasa from the Index/Railgun franchise, since she was a strong range-fighter--easier to maintain a streak of Perfects when chipping away health from a distance.

I would suggest the game, but only if found on a nice budget. It isn't as in-depth as a standard-alone fighting game IP normally would be, but it is certainly not a throw-away like most Cross-over Fighters.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    And I'll say it again: please don't bring back kids, Intelligent Systems. Not if you're going to come up with this lame a reason to include them. I'm sure people will be happy enough with Avatars and supports leading to marriage.
    I would really only accept kids in a future Fire Emblem if after a certain chapter, like with Genaology of War, it time skipped like 20-25 years and aged all units and added their kids for recruitment. Otherwise you can't pull it without time traveling shenanigans, which only Awakening could pull off.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Fire Emblem Awakening - 3DS

I do like that the way the children works was with the Time Travel thing BUT I love FEF marriage and children too despite it's week story elements. Although I just wish the childrens dialog was more diverse for the opposite parent thing cause they supports for the (FEA: Father or FEF:Mohter) were the same for all combinations there of.

Now just working through DLC, Supports, Extra chapters, spotpass stuff
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    Nights of Azure (PS4) -- Review to come.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Just finished off a latent playthrough of Pokemon X (3DS). It was already almost finished, i just wrapped it up.
    omegabyte wrote: »
    Just finished off a latent playthrough of Pokemon X (3DS). It was already almost finished, i just wrapped it up.

Million dollar question: Who did you use?
    Clix wrote: »
    omegabyte wrote: »

Million dollar question: Who did you use?

Eh, i just transferred some high level mons from a completed playthrough and cheesed to the end. I already had 7 badges, i just wanted to clear it for post-game pokemon collecting.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited March 2016
    Tales From the Borderlands Episode 2: Atlus Mugged (XBONE) . Still really enjoying this one. Loaderbot is great, and I love how sometimes the story stops for the other protagonist to interject.
    Just played through Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls (PS4). Love how the game plays on the console, but man, has it ever changed a lot since launch. Barely even recognizable as the same game anymore.
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Medabots DS

I just blogged my way through the entire game, so if you ever want to play this for yourself and need a semi-dependable walkthru, just look over to the Staff Blogs forum.

Working on the review this week.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Earthbound (SNES via 3DS) - Still as awesome as ever.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."