If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2016 Completed Games List

Comments

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Grim Fandango Remastered (PS4) -- Took me over a year playing it on and off. LOVED the story! But omg some of those puzzles...
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Nyx wrote: »
    Grim Fandango Remastered (PS4) -- Took me over a year playing it on and off. LOVED the story! But omg some of those puzzles...

Were they .... grim?
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool

Were they .... grim?

Oh, you!
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Hey Clix, the title actually is Medabots DS. Sorry, I should have added in a (DS) even if it looked weird.
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    Hey Clix, the title actually is Medabots DS. Sorry, I should have added in a (DS) even if it looked weird.

No problem, fixed.
    Moon Hunters (PC, via Steam) -- did two full playthroughs, but I definitely want to do a few more! That being said, review to come soon!
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2016
    Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright (3DS) was disappointing. It felt like a fast cash grab that reused as much of Awakening as possible and packaged it with substandard production values. The uninteresting characters and bland writing took away the things I enjoyed most in Awakening. Personally, it confirmed that I am not a Fire Emblem fan. I was only an Awakening fan. If I hadn't played it during the NCAA basketball tournament games I don't think I would have finished it.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    Hey Clix, you totes don't have to count Moon Hunters twice in your count! I only mentioned it because it takes about a half an hour to complete and I wanted to do at least two full playthroughs before I got cracking on the review. Sorry if that seems confusing!
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    7thCircle wrote: »
    Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright (3DS) was disappointing. It felt like a fast cash grab that reused as much of Awakening as possible and packaged it with substandard production values. The uninteresting characters and bland writing took away the things I enjoyed most in Awakening. Personally, it confirmed that I am not a Fire Emblem fan. I was only an Awakening fan. If I hadn't played it during the NCAA basketball tournament games I don't think I would have finished it.

Arguably, I feel that Conquest got the more interesting characters, and thus far more amusing supports. Arthur is delightfully hilarious; Peri is unhinged in an amusing way, Niles and Keaton are pretty cool, and funny things keep happening to and around Benny. And of course there's Selena, Odin and Laslow, but they maybe don't count. The Nohr royal siblings are also a more engaging bunch than their Hoshidan counterparts.

Though I am enjoying the supports in Birthright, even if the characters aren't quite as colorful as Conquest's
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

Hey Clix, you totes don't have to count Moon Hunters twice in your count! I only mentioned it because it takes about a half an hour to complete and I wanted to do at least two full playthroughs before I got cracking on the review. Sorry if that seems confusing!

OK, if that's what you want. I do count multiple complete playthroughs when told so, hence why I double-counted it.
    Clix wrote: »

OK, if that's what you want. I do count multiple complete playthroughs when told so, hence why I double-counted it.

Ah, I get ya. I didn't know that given that I don't normally do two playthroughs like that very quickly. XD Whatever you like then! I was just confused for the moment because I was like "I haven't beaten 16 games yet!"!
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2016
    Bravely Second: End Layer (3DS) complete! Took just under fifty hours, and for those interested I ended up with the following party setup for the final stages -
    Spoiler:
    Yew - White Mage (sub. Black Mage)
    Edea - Wizard (sub. Time Mage) yay Reraise + Mist
    Magnolia - Ranger (sub. Ninja)
    Tiz - Swordmaster (sub. Hawkeye) yay countering abuse

Review coming shortly (spoiler: me like). Ending is pretty awesome though :)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    HunieCam Studio (PC via Steam)

A nice distraction, but I'm not a big fan of clickers. I just wanted a really casual business sim. It's alright.
    Stories: The Path of Destinies (PS4) -- Review to go live on Tuesday! :)
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2016
    I finished Salt and Sanctuary (PS4) today. It's the best game of this type I've played since Dawn of Sorrow, and is probably better than Dawn of Sorrow. It's certainly more modern. My clock say 23 hours, but I explored every nook and cranny of the world up to the Ruined Temple three times looking for loot. And I got severely lost twice.

I started as a chef, leaving me fighting the Sodden Knight with a skillet while wearing an apron. That was incredibly difficult. Once I settled on heavy armor, a 2-handed battlehammer, and some Cleric spells, combat was a fun challenge without being difficult, bosses included. The 4th to last boss wrecked me and I died to her 15 times (the game tracks it), more than any other foe. Otherwise I usually died to platforming.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    I seem to be on a roll here, but Brilliant Shadows - Part One of the Book of Gray Magic (PC, via Steam) is complete. Ocelot sent me this game a few weeks back to cheer me up and I absolutely loved it. Very good storytelling in this visual novel! I kinda want to go back and try for the other endings now, but goodness these characters are so wonderfully fleshed out.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Totally missed this last weekend: Life Force (NES via 3DS) - 30 lives code, co-op, and still had to continue twice. Those arcade shooters were HARD in the day.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    Pulled out a Science Victory in Civilization V (PC) with just 5 turns left. I didn't intend on going that route, but it worked out. I rarely play as an aggressive nation, but I was randomly assigned the Huns, which have early military advantages. I did conquer two other civs, but the map layout and moving into the later game stages made me readjust my plans. I always love playing this game, but will probably put it away again for a while, as it eats up time I could use on games I haven't played before.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (PS3)

Been wanting to play this one for a while. Story wise, it's somewhat good, with the light side ending setting up some of the things leading to Star Wars episode 4...or at least it did until Disney stated all of the Extended Universe was non-canon. Dark side ending was rather WTF with how that one ended...though it was to be expected. Gameplay was good, but the lack of any real tutorial and lock on problems made this game somewhat hellish to beat. I didn't find out about the existence of a dodge until I was at the final battle. :/
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited April 2016
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II (PS3)

A massive improvement from the first one overall. Graphics, gameplay, and story are much better than its predecessor. However it's just as short, and leaves me wanting a 3rd one, one we may never see come. No dodge function in this one outside of the dash, and the game was kind enough to have a well done tutorial and tell me what I needed to do at times, even in the final boss fight. If you never played the first Force Unleashed, at least play this one.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Super Metroid (3DS) - 6 hours

Man, I so loooooooove this game still. So glad to play it on a handheld. Frickin awesome still, not just nostalgia.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Maple Story DS (DS) -- technically finished 1/4 of the game, since it has four separate character arcs, each following a different protagonist, but it's got a proper beginning, middle, end, and credits. This time around, I played the Archer, who has a very neat little hero's journey built up, starting with her bad attitude and hubris provoking the patron goddess of Maple World to magically demote her from level 20 to level 1 at the end of the first chapter. Then she got dropped off of a tower and into a war zone between invading aliens and the Maple World Defense Force. Things only get crazier from there.

For a single-player title based on an MMORPG, it takes a lot of guts to have a character plotline where no levels are gained until the third chapter, because the heroine's either too high in level to get much XP or too low in level to hurt anything. And for a wonder, the game's only "fetch 9 of random pointless item" quest actually serves as a lesson in humility.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (3DS) - Finest kind, even if the invisible floor puzzles were made gratuitously harder.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited April 2016
    Parascientific Escape: Cruise in the Distant Seas (3DS) - Took about 8 hours to finish.

Randomly saw this online somewhere, and the similarities it seemed to share with 999 had me sold on the $5 cost. What is here isn't terrible by any means, but it is far from a complete experience. Maybe its the first in what is planned to be an episodic series of games, I don't know. Unfortunately, Parascientific Escape is basically an unfinished story that really doesn't even work very well as an introduction, because the sequence of events that occur during the game aren't wrapped up adequately. There are basically only 5 characters present, one of whom gets an extremely small amount of dialogue and remains a total mystery. The four main characters are pretty difficult to identify with too, as their virtually always calm demeanor (with one exception) to the scenarios they are presented with during the game aren't very realistic. On the plus side, I did like the art style and the general premise of where the story seemed like it wanted to go. The puzzles themselves were alright too. Overall the game was okay, its something that I would have been mildly pleased with as a rental, but I doubt that I'll be able to even remember what this is down the road if any sequels are ever released.
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    Life is Strange (PC)

I'm feeling pretty ambivalent about this game. Liked the overall story / characters and had some interesting / genuinely hard choices to make. But there were some extremely tedious / aggravating aspects to the game and endings are rather disappointing; yet another game that is allegedly all about player choice until you get to the end when absolutely nothing you do really matters except for the final choice. Feel like there should've been about 6 or 7 possible endings.
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

edited April 2016
    Demon's Souls (PS3)

I have a sense of pride after beating this game. It was difficult, and with the exception of a few areas that were overly so (3-2, 5-2), I enjoyed myself. Definitely see why people go crazy over this series, though I do hope none of the Dark Souls games have the horrors of 3-2 or 5-2. 3-2 and it's "you can only dodge backwards or forwards or you'll fall to your doom!" nonsense and all of the evil swamp thing that 5-2 had going for it. Those two areas should never be used again, they were unnecessarily difficult due to the environment, not the enemies.
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    'Poison swamp' is a souls series staple. I kind of love them though.
    Radiant Historia (DS) - All Nodes Complete

I can definitely see why this is regarded as one of the best titles on the DS. I am so glad that I came upon it in the used bin of a GameStop at the end of last year for just $25. I had a lot of fun, and, despite the concept, I really didn't need a guide except for the sidequests. It was refreshing knowing that I could just play through at my leisure and still get everything done. I guess my only complaint is the concept of multiverse-resonance. It felt so contrived that actions in one timeline could ripple in a way to affect the mental/emotional states of characters in the other timeline. Finally, I felt gameplay was enjoyable, but I am surprised that the grid system was only applicable to the enemy's side. I can only imagine the difficulty if the enemy could turn the tables back on the player, but it felt like that was what the gameplay was lacking.

Overall, I want to say this or TWEWY are probably the main contenders in my book as Best of the DS for RPGs. I mean, I love Pokemon and all, but I still feel like those two titles really provide for a definitive experience.