If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Valkyria: Azure Revolution's Battle System Detailed

Pascal TekaiaPascal Tekaia RPGamer Staff
edited January 2016 in Latest Updates
New information on the game's setting, characters, and battle system has been released. Rounding out the update are an extended trailer and two behind-the-scenes videos.

[ Story ]

Comments

• scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactics Ogre, I choose u! Full Members
    That didn't say much about the actual gameplay. I am wary of how much the battle system will change.
    Check out my writing and art by following this link to my work: www.stevenmouland.com
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    As big fan of Valkyria, I'm still concerned about the direction. It still feels like it's discarding the original setting for the most part (in the sense of pseudo-WWII kind of field combat).

At the point where you have people (including royalty?) charging the field with swords where enemies (and you) have rifles, it just feels vaguely like they needed "add more JRPG" or some such. The premise of commanding a squad of people with guns that is mostly on par with enemies also using guns (mostly) seemed more grounded, relatively speaking.

For example, the teaser footage of the Princess brandishing her sword and ordering a bunch of soldiers behind sandbags to charge just seems like the sort of thing that would wind up getting everyone massacred if they were actually facing the tanks/shocktroopers behind cover/etc. that we've seen prior.

That's not to say I've forgotten about the "Valkyria" element of the games, it just seems like... it's abandoning its roots a lot? Eh. Maybe I'm worrying too much.
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I guess I join the chorus of trepidation about the new Valkyria Chronicles. I'm not opposed to series/developers branching out and experimenting (Valkyria wouldn't exist in the first place if they didn't), but it seems like they are ditching most of what I liked about the original. The art-style is more polished instead of looking hand-drawn; different setting; and most importantly different battle-system. Maybe its just me, but I think the mix of strategy with 3rd person shooter battle-system was what made Valkyria Chronicles so different and intriguing in the first place. I'm going to try and keep an open mind, but I'm lowering my expectations in case SEGA turns Valkyria into the next Shining series.
  • Surely it would have been easier to make another game in the same universe as the prior Valkyria games rather than a game in an entirely new universe, no? I really wonder why JRPG developers feel the need to make sequels in name only...
  • BobSpiritBobSpirit Full Members

Sadly, they took this way !
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    BobSpirit wrote: »
    Sadly, they took this way !

They announced they'd be updating the game after feedback from that video's demo.

http://gematsu.com/2016/05/valkyria-azure-revolution-made-more-rpg-like-result-demo-feedback
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    Surely it would have been easier to make another game in the same universe as the prior Valkyria games rather than a game in an entirely new universe, no? I really wonder why JRPG developers feel the need to make sequels in name only...

I don't think it would be easier. If it were easier they would probably do it more frequently. It's not easier because: 1) they have to make sure it's consistent with what came before (not that they always do this adequately even when making true sequels). 2) they are constrained in plot by the world set up previously (this is probably a bigger reason - why limit yourself in the directions you can go when instead you can just follow a theme of a previous game and the sky's the limit as far as plot goes?) Sure, I guess it's easier in that you can reuse place names, entities like nations, factions, etc. to some degree, but this is pretty small stuff.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.