If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

An Hour to Impress - Episode 3: Totally Not Wind Waker

Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy GroundRPGamer Staff
edited February 2016 in Latest Updates
In episode three, we take a look at Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas by Cornfox & Brothers, a game that is in no way at all like The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker.  Not even a bit.  Nope.

Watch it here: http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q1-2016/020516b.html
Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...

Comments

• coyotecraftcoyotecraft Full Members
    "Zelda style, Zelda type, Zelda clone"

It's called an action-adventure game. It's hyphenated. Action - requiring the player to react (shoot or swing a sword) in real time; Adventure - interacting with the environment (picking stuff up, pushing blocks ect...)
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    "Zelda style, Zelda type, Zelda clone"

It's called an action-adventure game. It's hyphenated. Action - requiring the player to react (shoot or swing a sword) in real time; Adventure - interacting with the environment (picking stuff up, pushing blocks ect...)

There is a difference between a Zelda-clone and an action-adventure. I can name dozens of action-adventure games that wouldn't qualify as Zelda-clones. Zelda-clones mimic the mechanics of the Legend of Zelda series very specifically, as this game does.

All Zelda-clones are action-adventure games, but not all action-adventure games are Zelda-clones.
  • coyotecraftcoyotecraft Full Members
    I don't think you know what you're talking about.
    The namesake of the Adventure game genre - in which you use tools to interact with the environment - if anything is attributed to the Atari game "Adventure". I realize everything before Nintendo is obscure and Zelda popularize the convention; and really at the time it could hardly be called a convention. But it's a genre convention none the less, and you can't patient how something functions. Although we call it "game design" it's functional not ornamental. Game genres are defined by how they work; not look.

But i dunno, I hear this tone in people's voice like they expect game designers to break the mold. Like, an adventure game without tools wouldn't be an adventure game. I understand wanting new tools and puzzles. But you can only change so much before a cookie becomes a cake or brownie. You can replace some ingredients like the chocolate chips with raisins. But if you made it out of meat it would be a burger.

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Looks like a pretty cool Zelda clone.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Good point about Darksiders, but it likely had a little more of a budget than this game. It doesn't look bad for likely development size.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    Oceanhorn was introduced to me as "Wind Waker on your phone;" everyone I've recommended it to has come back to me and said "Hey, it's just like Zelda, especially WInd Waker!" There's certainly a good discussion to be had on what games break away to stand on their own merits (Darksiders), but Oceanhorn's a pretty terrible example. Also, Portobella make wicked nummy burgers.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2016
    I don't think you know what you're talking about.
    The namesake of the Adventure game genre - in which you use tools to interact with the environment - if anything is attributed to the Atari game "Adventure". I realize everything before Nintendo is obscure and Zelda popularize the convention; and really at the time it could hardly be called a convention. But it's a genre convention none the less, and you can't patient how something functions. Although we call it "game design" it's functional not ornamental. Game genres are defined by how they work; not look.

But i dunno, I hear this tone in people's voice like they expect game designers to break the mold. Like, an adventure game without tools wouldn't be an adventure game. I understand wanting new tools and puzzles. But you can only change so much before a cookie becomes a cake or brownie. You can replace some ingredients like the chocolate chips with raisins. But if you made it out of meat it would be a burger.

Regardless of where the Adventure genre came from, "Action-Adventure" has grown to encompass anything from the Legend of Zelda to Grand Theft Auto. I certainly would never call Oceanhorn a "Grand Theft Auto Clone." I try to be as precise as possible when describing a game because I want to convey as much information as I can in as few words as possible. Action Adventure tells you almost nothing. Zelda-clone tells you a lot. Specifically, the one thing ALL Zelda games (well, almost all Zelda games. Spin-offs like Link's Crossbow Training obviously don't count) is that they revolve around a very specific pattern of progression: Explore a dungeon, find a new tool, use that tool to solve puzzles and beat the boss. Not only does Oceanhorn clearly follow that pattern, it also mimics Zelda's interface almost exactly, from hearts for your health, heart pieces and containers to increase your health, and even a nearly identical tool/item interface in the top right corner of the screen.

It's a Zelda-clone. You can argue semantics all you want, but the influence is so blindingly obvious you'd have to be willfully ignorant to say otherwise.

Kinda sad to hear that it's not a great game. I liked what I saw in the first hour, but as I said in the video, I didn't really get to see enough to really make a proper judgement. Curious, the people who didn't like it, were you playing on mobile or PC? Because I didn't really notice the combat lag you're talking about. I did notice the MC moves a little stiffly, but that was the only problem I really had mechanically.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    It lags on my iPad, though I have a slightly older model with a smaller capacity, so I assumed it was me :P
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    This is on sale on steam store right now. I bought it. I like Zelda - type games; I don't think there's many of those around.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    Macstorm wrote: »

This ^
    and...
    ...Nintendo has served you with a Cease & Desist letter!
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    Slayer wrote: »
    Macstorm wrote: »
    ...Nintendo has served you with a Cease & Desist letter!
    Not lawfully though. Though not like you can afford to defend yourself though. The statement is pretty clearly made for the purpose of criticism which is allowed fair use.