If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Review - Return to PopoloCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale

NyxNyx Staff Girly GirlRPGamer Staff
Who likes to PopoFarm? Sam likes to PopoFarm! What is PopoFarm? Well, it's what all the cool kids are calling Return to PopoloCrois, naturally!

Review!

And to those who can't figure out where the title of the review comes from...

Oh Todd.

Comments

• pcaballepcaballe Member Full Members
    Great review!
    “Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.”
    -Einstein
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Thank you so much for the kind words! This was a tough review to write!
  • WyrdwadWyrdwad Member Full Members
    edited March 2016
    It was a very well-written review. As you know, this game was my baby, so I'm very sensitive to criticisms about it -- but it's certainly not a perfect game in any way, and I think you did a very nice job fairly evaluating it. There are a lot of places it could and should improve in future iterations, but the core experience is greater than the sum of its parts, and your review does indicate that quite well.

I just wish Metacritic didn't directly translate 3/5 to 60%. Though numerically the same, a 3/5 has a very different implication to it than a 60% does. 3/5 seems like an objectively fair score for this game IMHO, while 60% on a test would be a D- in the American education system.

But that's a whole other discussion, and doesn't reflect on you in any way -- it's just an inherent issue with using a 10- or 100-point scoring system. The world views numbers out of 10 or 100 differently in different countries. You guys are wise to rate out of 5, as there are far fewer preconceptions about that.

-Tom
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited March 2016
    Believe me, many staffers don't like the way Metacritic translates our scores. It wasn't too long ago when we got people complaining that Macstorm had given Fallout 4 a 60 according to Metacritic. They hadn't even bothered to look at the actual review :P
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    Pretty much every time we give something a 3/5 we're accused of writing "sensational" reviews. We're definitely not fans of Metacritic's 1:1 system.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Count me in on the "hate the way Metacritic lumps us all together mindlessly" vote.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Wyrdwad wrote: »
    It was a very well-written review. As you know, this game was my baby, so I'm very sensitive to criticisms about it -- but it's certainly not a perfect game in any way, and I think you did a very nice job fairly evaluating it. There are a lot of places it could and should improve in future iterations, but the core experience is greater than the sum of its parts, and your review does indicate that quite well.

I just wish Metacritic didn't directly translate 3/5 to 60%. Though numerically the same, a 3/5 has a very different implication to it than a 60% does. 3/5 seems like an objectively fair score for this game IMHO, while 60% on a test would be a D- in the American education system.

But that's a whole other discussion, and doesn't reflect on you in any way -- it's just an inherent issue with using a 10- or 100-point scoring system. The world views numbers out of 10 or 100 differently in different countries. You guys are wise to rate out of 5, as there are far fewer preconceptions about that.

-Tom

Awww Tom, I am not going to lie -- I was super worried what would you were going to think of the review because I knew it was your baby. I'm glad you thought it was acceptable, and I do sincerely hope they do more for this series, especially because I think there's a ton of room for growth and improvement. I wish Metacritic didn't convert our scale the way it does because it does seem like we are a 60 looks as though we are taking a poop on it, which is totally not the case!
    Hey, even if I thought your review sucked, it wouldn't matter -- I just appreciate you guys covering the game. Coverage of Popolo is my sustenance! ;) Heheheh...

-Tom
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff

-Tom

I'm planning on diving in more thoroughly once I finish up Twilight Princess HD, but what ive seen so far is great. Tons of charm, love the VA, especially Gomer - someone needs to direct Nintendo of America to that dude, because he would be PERFECT for Detective Pikachu.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    Hey, even if I thought your review sucked, it wouldn't matter -- I just appreciate you guys covering the game. Coverage of Popolo is my sustenance! ;) Heheheh...

-Tom

I also mentioned it on the Feb 27th podcast if you hadn't listened to it (http://www.rpgamer.com/rpgcast/rpgcast_archive.html). Also tweeted screenshots as I was playing since impressions weren't embargoed (which I think you answered one of them). Had lots of fun chatting with people about it on the Twitters!
    Yaaay! Goooo Popolo!! Heheheh.

Also, Omegabyte, that is a FANTASTIC idea. Man! I would LOVE to hear that! ;)

-Tom
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    Thank you for your detailed review.