If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Fable Legends Is No Longer a Thing

Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing EditorRPGamer Staff
edited March 2016 in Latest Updates
Despite appearing to have life at last year's E3 and being in a closed beta, Fable Legends has been cancelled. Series developer Lionhead Studios will also be going with it.

[ Story ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Sad to see the company go down like that but I felt, upon seeing Fable Legends that they were trying the same thing 38 Studios had tried with Kingsdoms of Amalar. My wife will be sad that there is no more Fable as she really liked those games.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • Seifer267Seifer267 Full Members
    edited March 2016
    Anybody else really not surprised by this? Asymmetrical multiplayer is just so hard to pull off. And this game was too ambitious for its own good.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Surprised by its cancelation? Not really. Closing the whole dev down seems like a waste though. Whatever people may say about the Fable series, it was popular.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Wheels wrote: »
    Surprised by its cancelation? Not really. Closing the whole dev down seems like a waste though. Whatever people may say about the Fable series, it was popular.

Yeah, but they haven't released a main entry in the series since Fable 3 in 2010. Since then it's been nothing but gimmicky spin-offs that I suspect probably did very poorly at retail. It doesn't surprise me at all, either.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff

I didn't understand why Lionhead didn't do like Ubisoft and turn this series into an annual cash cow. I think Lionhead tripped over its longstanding obsession with innovation, or executives were getting paid without results and had no motive to up the output. So many successful series in the PS3/360 generation became minimally improved, frequent releases to survive, and Fable would have worked great in that capacity. I wouldn't have bought a new Fable every single year, but it was popular enough that many would have.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    It cannot possibly be common to cancel a game that has made it all the way to closed beta... can it? (Barring incidents of developer bankruptcy, that is).
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2018
    deleted.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited March 2016
    I enjoyed the fable games. To bad.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    7thCircle wrote: »

I didn't understand why Lionhead didn't do like Ubisoft and turn this series into an annual cash cow. I think Lionhead tripped over its longstanding obsession with innovation, or executives were getting paid without results and had no motive to up the output. So many successful series in the PS3/360 generation became minimally improved, frequent releases to survive, and Fable would have worked great in that capacity. I wouldn't have bought a new Fable every single year, but it was popular enough that many would have.

Honestly I think they could have done some cool things too, if they say let you carry your hero from game to game.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2016
    7thCircle wrote: »

Honestly I think they could have done some cool things too, if they say let you carry your hero from game to game.

Might be hard considering that the previous games have all taken part centuries apart, and also take place over the course of decades. Your hero would be like 500 years old after a few games. It would be cool if you could take on the role of one of your kids or grandkids, though. Apparently they played with that idea in Fable 2, where if you died, you took over as one of your kids, but it just encouraged people to have a buttload of kids as extra lives so they cut it out.
    Well Fable 3 was actually directly after Fable 2
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• Seifer267Seifer267 Full Members
    smacd wrote: »
    Seifer267 wrote: »
    Anybody else really not surprised by this? Asymmetrical multilayer is just so hard to pull off. And this games was too ambitious for its own good.

I want to say "Nothing of value was lost". Except jobs. I really disliked Fable 2 and Fable 3, it all came off as Molyneaux promising a bunch of stuff that couldn't be delivered (maybe he should become a politician).

Asymmetric multiplayer is a cool idea, but so far I haven't seen anything really that works in the digital world. If anything, the Wii U is a prime example of the failure of asymmetric multiplayer. Balance and enjoyment are even more tricky. The only thing I can think of where it works, is the relationship between DM and Players in D&D and similar games.

Right. The job loss is the worst part. But, again, I almost feel like when you get into bed with Lionhead you have to see the writing on the wall...

Glad you mentioned the wii u as a prime example of the balancing complexity of asymmetric multiplayer. Even Nintendo all but gave the idea up, only having New Super Mario Bros Wii U, Nintendo Land, and Mario Party 100000, as a memorable examples with less that profitable success.
    I was leaning towards Evolve as an example (currently it is 9.99 brand new on amazon... how the mighty fall),.

Yeah, But Fable 2 takes place over half a century lol
    omegabyte wrote: »

500 years later actually
    sig.gif

omegabyte wrote: »

500 years later actually

I meant the game itself takes place over the course of 50 years. The in-game time is literally half a century. Starts when you're 10, ends when you're 60. Fable 1 was the same way, but I don't remember if Fable 3 took the same length of time or not...