If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What's Next? Not EverQuest

Pascal TekaiaPascal Tekaia RPGamer Staff
edited March 2016 in Latest Updates
Bad news for RPGamers patiently waiting for the next installment in the MMORPG saga. Daybreak Games has officially cancelled the development of EverQuest Next.

[ Read story ]

Comments

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Story link seems to be missing
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • Seifer267Seifer267 Full Members
    This is a huge shock to me. Lionhead shutting down made sense, but I felt like this game had a shot. People still play the original Everquest! Very odd indeed, but at least he was honest about the reasoning.
  • Sam = WiseSam = Wise Member Full Members
    Oh what a shame, I wasn't particularly following the development process I really liked but what I'd seen of footage etc.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited March 2016
    I'm sure they hashed it all out behind the scenes to understand profits vs brand. The landmark beta they released was actually pretty hyped for a while. Even if it was enough interest, they may not have thought the product was worth it long term. But with two major multiplayer games being canceled(fable) I really wonder how much profit was driving their choices. Surely both would have made some money just to release them, but maybe the owners of the ip felt the release wasn't worth the damage to the brand. Or they thought the game sucked and canceled it because of that, but that might be giving to much credit.
  • bulmasanbulmasan New Member Full Members
    Wow, they went through player tests (a couple of which I briefly participated in) and everything! I have to agree, though; when I was in the test, it wasn't fun. Apart from claiming land, there didn't seem to be much to do.