The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Favourite Webcomics

EddEdd MemberFull Members
edited July 2003 in Miscellaneous
There's a lot of talent out there on the net, some extremely funny webcomics, most of which are courtesy of the wonderful keenspot.
What are you an avid reader of, or what have you recently discovered?

In my opinion you should check out the archives of some of these comics:

Chris Crosby's ?'Superosity' is in my oppinion the best thing on the net. ?Funny, clever, bizarre and so very different. ?I love it.

His younger brother Bobby's recently discontinued 'Pupkin' is ?also pretty surreal but not quite of the same standards in my oppinion.

'Sinfest' by tatsuya ishida is certainly very different, and while it cracks me up less consistantly these days, its certainly worth looking through the archives for some great satire and irony.

I've recently discovered and fallen in love with 'Wigu' which is also very whacky and super bizarre - (spotting a trend here.

Along gamier lines, I can only recomend

The famous 'Penny Arcade' and Ian J's story based 'RPG World'

I don't personally rate most sprite comics, and i also feel webcomics are a little dominated by video game humour which I find derivative and easy to write.
My least fav comic, one I feel is grossly over rated is 8-bit theatre, as much of the humour shamefully copies the simpsons lines, and I question how much artistic talent is required to copy and paste a few sprites.

I do a few comics of my own, which i mean to put up on the net as soon as I can be arsed to learn HTML or get someone to make the site for me.

So what about the rest of you? ?Anything else out there you like or dislike? ?Tell me, link me to the sites, There's little better wasting a Sunday afternoon reading the entire archives of a good webcomic

Comments

• VargasVargas Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I'm sure that y'all already knew about it, but MegaTokyo is a staple.

Real Life has its moments, too.

"Dude, it's a ninja."

Sorry for not going into detail, but I can't really say anything without sounding redundant...
  • EddEdd Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I checked out mega tokyo a while ago and it was pretty neat but for one reason or another I forgot. Haven't read Real World before, but ill check it when I have a minute

• The Big BangThe Big Bang Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    Some of the ones I check out at work on a regular basis are as folows:

Ctrl+Alt+Del
    PVP online
    Scary Go Round

And Megatokyo and Penny Arcade of course ?wink.gif

• little tigerlittle tiger Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    Already mentioned:
    -Megatokyo
    -RPG World

My other faves:
    8-bit Theatre :: A true classic. FFI parodies just don't get better than this.
    Boy Meets Boy :: The most "normal" one of the BMB multiverse. A very popular webcomic about, well, people. Some are gay, most are hot, all are shibby.
    Something Positive :: One o' them webcomics stuffed with avatars and self-insertions. Except this one is actually good.
    My Life In Blue :: Another avatar comic, nothing spectacular. I love this guy's style.
    Venus Envy :: Quote artist: "A comic about surviving high school when you're different, surviving your parents when you're not what they expected, and surviving in general when your man-hating dyke friend finds out you've got a penis."
    Elf Only Inn :: Read this. Now.
    Sexy Losers :: Some sex jokes, but the deep and tragic plot constist mostly of highly philosophical debates and... oh, who am I kidding. It's just sex jokes. ADULT.
    Donut Girls :: Happy fun craptastic webcomic by the great Uncreativity. I think it's dead.
    Glamour Lust :: Dead. Still nice to check out the archives.

• Shadow XShadow X Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I read 8-Bit. I try to read Penny-Arcade, but never really get around to it.
  • edited June 2003
    I read PA religiously, the comic itself is great, but the main draw is the newsposts IMO. ?Almost everything else I read has been mentioned. ?I don't have enough time or drive to read TOO many comics. ?I was up to like 15 or 16 different comics before I cut my list down to (in order of likeage) PA, Megatokyo, Real Life, Sinfest, Machall and just cause I love the art, and the manga style of it, 10k Commotion, though it's not updated regularily, so I just visit once every few weeks or so and read in bursts like that.
  • edited June 2003
    I'm currently reading RPG world and 8-bit, but I'm also reading It's Walky
    which is perhaps my favourite so far. It's about a group called SEMME who fight some crazy aliens.

I've just started reading through the Fans! archives. Thats a pretty interesting comic as well. Seems to be alot different from some of the others out there.
  • SinSin Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    Not quite a comic, but Weebl and Bob is awesome! laugh.gif

Mmmmmm
    Pie

Walken1.jpg
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I'm generally not interested in online comics. ?I'll occasionally read them when I am bored, though. ?I think 8-Bit Theater is rather amusing.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    The only ones I read are the two typical ones ? Megatokyo and Penny Arcade. PA is often hilarious, though I sometimes don't get the jokes. I assume it's because I don't know about whatever game they're referencing. I still check MT every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, but I feel it's been declining lately. The plot has been moving really slowly, and almost all of the jokes have gotten very old (l33tspeak, switching quickly between Piro and Largo to accentuate the differences in their lives, etc.)
  • MithrandirMithrandir Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I'm almost surprised no one mentioned Marvel's webcomics. Sure, they're just Flash versions of the printed books, but they're good for a read every now and then. Assuming you're not on dial-up. For those of us with a 56k connection, either don't bother, or be prepared to wait a LONG time for pages to load.

I also suggest www.stripcreator.com. It's not terrific, and I'll warn you there are some truly crappy comics on that site, but you can make your own if you want. I've made about three or four, only two of which were any good. If you're interested, which I'm sure you're not, my username is Mongo Lloyd at stripcreator, and a good friend of mine is dueserpenti. Dueserpenti has a good number of strips, most of which are at least kind of funny.
  • edited June 2003
    I couldn't navigate Marvel's site enough to get to their comics, I'll go try again, but I think I hit some kind of flash error that made them not show up for me.
  • oldnavy_2k2oldnavy_2k2 Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    one word.....

WENDY!!!!

LMAO!!!!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Wendy is the single most funniest web comic IMHO!

Squirrel tube!!!!!!

*Yumi skitters across .....lights a match.....tosses it on Lucy*
    "WENDY! LUCY COUGHT FIRE SOMEHOW"

And lets not forget singing in the porridge with no pants on. . . .
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sin @ June 17 2003,17:10)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Not quite a comic, but Weebl and Bob is awesome! laugh.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I like the FF7 one where he does the "special attack".
  • LeetdudeLeetdude Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I always rather liked Nothing Nice To Say. It is a shame that it's over...
    edited June 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I like the FF7 one where he does the "special attack".[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yup, that's how I got hoked on it. laugh.gif

Cloud: Let's walk over here!
    *Long Pause*
    Tifa: Yes
    Cloud: Oh no, a chocobo!

Cloud: Let's walk over here!
    *Long Pause*
    Tifa: Yes
    Cloud: Oh no, random encounter!
    Tifa: We just had one too!
    Rarrr!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
    Walken1.jpg
    edited June 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sin @ June 17 2003,17:10)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Not quite a comic, but Weebl and Bob is awesome! laugh.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    *checks it out*

*blinks*

*blinks again*

...Wow. That was the best summary I've ever seen of the conversations I have with my best friend. If you replace "pie" with "bish", that is. ^^;
    edited June 2003
    What would that be then?

You: Want Bish now!
    You: 'lo Bob. You have bish?
    Him: Yes.
    You: Me like bish.
    Him: Yes.
    You: Bish is gooood.
    Him: Mmmmm! Bish.
    You: Mmmmm! *pause* Bish
    Bish. Bish. Bish. Bish. Bish. Bish. Bish.
    Him: Mmmm bish.
    You: BISH!!
    Him: ow
    You: When come back, bring bish.
    <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>wanker</span>

Now that's a conversation I'd like to see. laugh.gif

EDIT: Edited!

Walken1.jpg
  • HummingwayHummingway Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I read most of the usual suspects: PA, 8-Bit (although I agree that it has fallen off a bit as of late) Sinfest, and PVP. ?Liquid, I agree 100% that the news posts are what make PA so great (all hail Tycho!) ?I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned Dork Tower, but that's very good, especially for the tabletop gamers among us. ?

As someone who isn't that impressed by endless 1337 references, I stopped reading Megatokyo, particularly after one too many Dom "stick figure" excuses for a comic put me to sleep (I plan to start up again and see if they have stopped putting those out.) ?

I also love Something Positive, and highly recommend it to anyone with a sufficiently warped sense of humor. ?It reminds me of the now-defunct The Parking Lot of Full (R.I.P.)
    edited June 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sin @ June 18 2003,16:55)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"What would that be then?

You: Want Bish now!
    You: 'lo Bob. You have bish?
    Her: Yes.
    You: Me like bish.
    Her: Yes.
    You: Bish is gooood.
    Her: Mmmmm! Bish.
    You: Mmmmm! *pause* Bish
    Bish. Bish. Bish. Bish. Bish. Bish. Bish.
    Her: Mmmm bish.
    You: BISH!!
    Her: ow
    You: When come back, bring bish.
    <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>wanker</span>

Now that's a conversation I'd like to see. laugh.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I was serious! My best friend and I have that exact conversation at least twice a week. He's a he, by the way.

Also, a webcomic that needs to be mentioned is the late and lamented Some Random Guy comic. The entire site is long since dead, but MAN, that comic was funny.

"I am the girl! I'm sassy and cute! Who wants to play Everquest?"
  • MajinMajin Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I like HomeStarRunner.com but I guess that doesn't count.
    edited June 2003
    I cant stress Superosity enough. Everyone read the archives right now. i command you
  • JessperkJessperk Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    http://mallmonkeys.com
    Funny every now if you can deal with constand "VOTE FOR US, WANKER!!!11!" ads.

Penny Arcade is kind of like the Simpsons now. Used to be good, but now it's sliding. Still a good comic nonetheless.
    edited June 2003
    does anyone remember the controversy over 'Pupkin' alledgedly rigging votes by getting the superosity site to plug it, and Bobby saying he'll quit if he's not voted number 1... he did quit in the end cos he was disqualified, but the people who complained were the mall monkeys people who are vote-crazy all the time, i think they even did a strip insulting 'pupkin' which is kinda pathetic
  • janus_zealjanus_zeal Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I read PA, PvP, and RPG world. RPG world is really going downhill as of late though, read the old archives if you want a good comic. Also, I read 8-bit, but I really don't find it that funny. I'm not really sure why I keep reading it. sarcasm.gif
  • WishIWasAgriasWishIWasAgrias Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I strongly recommend the Scrubs archives - it's come to a close - for anyone who likes anime of the Love Hina/Oh My Goddess cute-short-boy-has-a-life-that-sucks type...

And by the same writer, who is now drawing for himself, Bull and Bunny.

Finally, I would add <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Renegades</span>, aka WishIWasAgrias's friends are funny. It takes no artistic talent to make, thank goodness, and is probably not raucous for anyone who isn't me. But I felt like some self-promotion was called for, though I don't know why.
  • Darth_yogiDarth_yogi Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I dont really read many, but I'll make an effort to check out some mentioned here!

Only one I could think of tounge.gif
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited June 2003
    Whoa...Da ja Vu.

I happen to LOVE 8-bit theater. Black Mage is GOD!!

PvP online is another of my faves. This week, Francis riggs the entire office with pirated software and Max has hinted on the Buisness Software Alliance coming to 'investigate'. Will the gang make it through to see another game? Will Skull find his true love in a Furby? All this and more at PVPonline.com!!

I also love Broken Saints. I cant stress enough how wonderful this series is. Its 24 chapters of pure storytelling goodness. The music alone will make you come back for more. It uses Flash to tell its story so those with slow connections will have to wait at least 30 - 40 minutes in download time to watch them. Go watch it. Now. Put the hammy sandwich down and watch it NOW. NOW NOW NOW!!!!!

Broken Saints

May your inards be filled with toilet water.
  • BPAkiraBPAkira Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Anyone else check out www.deiselsweeties.comor www.achewood.com. Both are real hit and miss, but when they are funny, man do I laugh. Plus, I got my favorite t-shirt from from DeiselSweeties. It's the powder blue Jesus one. I'll let you all head there there to check it out.
  • oldnavy_2k2oldnavy_2k2 Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    I havn't seen Broken saints in a looooooong time. ?Last I've seen of it is when the first 3 episode appeared on Shock Anime! . ?I havn't ?realize it has gotten so far 'til I clicked your link to it. ?It was good seeing how far it has gotten in these few years....

I can't wait til the 14th when the final chapter come out!!!!

[edit] appearently shock Anime! is down right now....