If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Review - Final Fantasy XV

MacstormMacstorm Ysy St.Administrators
edited December 2016 in Latest Updates
How do the adventures of Noctis and his friends hold up? It's full of surprises, for better or worse. It is, however, a road trip worth taking.

Review
"The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
Twitter @FinalMacstorm
«1

Comments

  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited December 2016
    The load times wouldn't bother me so much if every fast travel wasn't a two step process. Warp to your car, and then warp to where you want to go. The game would be better if you could cut out one step. (Sometimes it's only a one step warp on the rare case you're going to resting place). Which you mention those concerns.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Yeah, both of these are issues I'd love to see addressed. I can see loading times getting patched, but the fast travel will probably stay a multi-step process.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited April 2017
    Thank you for your detailed review.
    I might play it one day but I'm in no hurry.
    Mostly because I don't like the battle system much.
    *EDIT*
    @Macstorm & DarkRPG
    Thank you for your posts.
    I was going to borrow this from a friend (when he's done) but he went digital DL.
    *EDIT2*
    I bought it.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Slayer wrote: »
    Thank you for your detailed review.
    I might play it one day but I'm in no hurry.
    Mostly because I don't like the battle system much.

    If you didn't like it in the demos, I didn't either. It's much more fun in the full game, but not dramatically changed. More like fully featured.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited December 2016
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Slayer wrote: »
    Thank you for your detailed review.
    I might play it one day but I'm in no hurry.
    Mostly because I don't like the battle system much.

    If you didn't like it in the demos, I didn't either. It's much more fun in the full game, but not dramatically changed. More like fully featured.
    Same here. Demo gameplay was pretty bleh, but the full game does it way better. It's worth a rental or borrowing from a friend, at the least, when it comes to checking whether the gameplay is up your alley.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactics Ogre, I choose u! Full Members
    *sigh* this review best not be misleading - I may just give this a shot - despite my hating on it for the last 2 years.
    Check out my writing and art by following this link to my work: www.stevenmouland.com
  • bulmasanbulmasan New Member Full Members
    I didn't like (and didn't finish) the demos. Yet I have 60 hours in this game and am enjoying it. In the demos, Noctis seemed to get drained of energy very easily, meaning he was always looking for a place to hide. He's stronger here, so it's less frustrating.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    scorpio_7 wrote: »
    *sigh* this review best not be misleading - I may just give this a shot - despite my hating on it for the last 2 years.

    Ahahaha. It's misleading, that's my goal with reviews.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    I'm not sure what square was trying to achieve with the platinum demo.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    Budai wrote: »
    I'm not sure what square was trying to achieve with the platinum demo.
    Confusion, Chaos, Anarchy
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    Macstorm wrote: »
    scorpio_7 wrote: »
    *sigh* this review best not be misleading - I may just give this a shot - despite my hating on it for the last 2 years.

    Ahahaha. It's misleading, that's my goal with reviews.

    I KNEW it!!!!

    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Budai wrote: »
    I'm not sure what square was trying to achieve with the platinum demo.
    Wasn't it a tech demo they gave the press a few months before it released as the Platinum demo?
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Seifer267Seifer267 Full Members
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Slayer wrote: »
    Thank you for your detailed review.
    I might play it one day but I'm in no hurry.
    Mostly because I don't like the battle system much.

    If you didn't like it in the demos, I didn't either. It's much more fun in the full game, but not dramatically changed. More like fully featured.
    Same here. Demo gameplay was pretty bleh, but the full game does it way better. It's worth a rental or borrowing from a friend, at the least, when it comes to checking whether the gameplay is up your alley.

    This is 100% true.
    For me the loading times haven't been a drag. As I get older I have more to do and always a cup of coffee to brew in my keurig. My advice: let Iggy drive and go make your coffee with the soundtrack on shuffle. Mill about the house and accept it into your life.
    Yes it may seem silly in this now now now travel here and there in an instant console generation, but it's worked for me and made my life better. (Hint: there are exp and ap gains for driving ascensions...)
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    you praised the story more than most reviews which I totally did not expect (I think it may be the worst story FF has ever done sans FFXIII) but that just my opinion. Recently SE announced that they will be adding story cutscenes weeks or even months down the line with IMO is inexcusable. Tee fact that this is happening is that they know the story is confusing and not well written that they need to try and clarify though patches. It also seems that they purposely left out explanation on the characters that will be explained in their DLC which is also disheartening.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Finally a game that can make my Destiny characters gather dust, glad the extra time to polish that game worked out.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    you praised the story more than most reviews which I totally did not expect (I think it may be the worst story FF has ever done sans FFXIII) but that just my opinion. Recently SE announced that they will be adding story cutscenes weeks or even months down the line with IMO is inexcusable. Tee fact that this is happening is that they know the story is confusing and not well written that they need to try and clarify though patches. It also seems that they purposely left out explanation on the characters that will be explained in their DLC which is also disheartening.

    The story totally could use more detail, but the character interactions between the main four was great throughout. Loved every minute of that.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Macstorm wrote: »
    you praised the story more than most reviews which I totally did not expect (I think it may be the worst story FF has ever done sans FFXIII) but that just my opinion. Recently SE announced that they will be adding story cutscenes weeks or even months down the line with IMO is inexcusable. Tee fact that this is happening is that they know the story is confusing and not well written that they need to try and clarify though patches. It also seems that they purposely left out explanation on the characters that will be explained in their DLC which is also disheartening.

    The story totally could use more detail, but the character interactions between the main four was great throughout. Loved every minute of that.

    I think sometimes people forget "Story" doesn't just include the main plot thread.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    That said, I support my praise of the story. It wasn't unconditional love though, as I state in my review. Lots of side characters get dropped hard and I'm glad that's getting fixed. Wish it had been there from the start and this review would be even more glowing.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • Charalampos PapadimitriouCharalampos Papadimitriou Administrators, RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2016
    Wheels wrote: »
    I think sometimes people forget "Story" doesn't just include the main plot thread.

    Indeed. I'll take great characters and character interactions, settings, and lore and a crappy plot over a good plot that lacks these. To me these are all part of the story and I have frankly come to have a very low expectation for the 'plot' component in games.
  • LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    Wheels wrote: »
    Macstorm wrote: »
    you praised the story more than most reviews which I totally did not expect (I think it may be the worst story FF has ever done sans FFXIII) but that just my opinion. Recently SE announced that they will be adding story cutscenes weeks or even months down the line with IMO is inexcusable. Tee fact that this is happening is that they know the story is confusing and not well written that they need to try and clarify though patches. It also seems that they purposely left out explanation on the characters that will be explained in their DLC which is also disheartening.

    The story totally could use more detail, but the character interactions between the main four was great throughout. Loved every minute of that.

    I think sometimes people forget "Story" doesn't just include the main plot thread.

    This is a major point for me. Without the additional stuff, it could just as well be a summary of events. On the other hand if most of the plot is stuff that happens off screen and the only on screen story is character interactions between characters who seem pretty pointless because they aren't significantly tied to the plot (see FFXII), then there's not much story to speak of either way.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    On the other hand if most of the plot is stuff that happens off screen and the only on screen story is character interactions between characters who seem pretty pointless because they aren't significantly tied to the plot (see FFXII), then there's not much story to speak of either way.
    Thankfully this isn't FFXIII. It's just too light on some side characters instead of needing a codex to explain the main story.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    smacd wrote: »
    I think I'm going to have to watch this on twitch or something. All the reviews I've read still leave me unsure about whether this is actually a good game or not. (from my perspective).

    Eh maybe I've been sold on it. But I think I'll wait until all the DLC is out and I can pick up the complete game+DLC for $20 or less.
    That's where I'm at. I think I've been hit too hard by the story line mess that's FF13. While I've seen pretty positive reviews, the few concerns I see hit a wee too close to things that tend to bug me, personally. And, hey, by that time, I bet all those free updates and patches will be in there as well. I like the idea of paying once for the best, most complete experience...and saving a wee bit o' dough in the process.

    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • Seifer267Seifer267 Full Members
    edited December 2016
    JCServant wrote: »
    smacd wrote: »
    I think I'm going to have to watch this on twitch or something. All the reviews I've read still leave me unsure about whether this is actually a good game or not. (from my perspective).

    Eh maybe I've been sold on it. But I think I'll wait until all the DLC is out and I can pick up the complete game+DLC for $20 or less.
    That's where I'm at. I think I've been hit too hard by the story line mess that's FF13. While I've seen pretty positive reviews, the few concerns I see hit a wee too close to things that tend to bug me, personally. And, hey, by that time, I bet all those free updates and patches will be in there as well. I like the idea of paying once for the best, most complete experience...and saving a wee bit o' dough in the process.

    As someone who has finished the game I can say that might be a good call.
    I dig the game. For me it really is a 8-8.5 easily. The story just needs maybe a bit more clarity to push it up a bit.
    Game play wise? Gold... total gold. And Phil... the gameplay, ya know?
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    As someone who has finished the game I can say that might be a good call.
    I dig the game. For me it really is a 8-8.5 easily. The story just needs maybe a bit more clarity to push it up a bit.
    Game play wise? Gold... total gold. And Phil... the gameplay, ya know?

    Hey...I'm trying to be a good boy here and not start any debates... so, I tell you what. I'll respond to this in spoiler tags, and ask everyone that if you do read my reply here, keep it polite and civil...
    Spoiler:
    Yeah. I fully admit that I'm bias here... and subjectively a wee unhappy that they've chosen to go with a Kingdom Hearts approach rather than something between FF1-10 (For the record, I did enjoy XII, but less so than previous ones). Not only does it make me want to wail out like a spoiled five year old, screaming "No my Final Fantasy!", but I'm one of those few who just wasn't the biggest fan of KH's combat. Hey, I'm all for RPGs with elements from other genres (as well as games of other genres with RPG elements). Often, these elements can spice things up, as I saw in Ratchet in Clank series when 2 and 3 added XP and upgrade systems. But, in my experiences/IMHO, when games try to try too hard to actually blend the elements in equal portion type of thing, it tends to be a combat engine that doesn't do either genre justice (specifically in combat). In other words, I cannot help but feel, as I'm playing them, that I've played games with better RPG combat systems, and better (FPS/Action/Etc).. see Alpha Protocol (Why CAN'T I just shoot it in the head?). The big exception is SRPGs...those work just fine for me. It also makes me cranky when I have limited or no control over my other part members, even in a turn based RPG (and is my biggest critique of Persona 3 FES', which I'm currently playing). Because the reviews have been pretty positive overall on this, and it DOES look perty, I do intend to at least give it the college try at some point, however, rather than just armchair-critiquing it based completely on the above sentiments. :)



    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    I feel ya and see exactly where you are coming from, Phil. That said, this is no KH battle system (which I also hate), as it has tons more depth, but is still way more action than you'd probably like.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    Okay, I guess I'll follow suit with the spoiler tags
    Spoiler:
    I'm pretty much in agreement on the KH end. I don't necessarily mind a more action RPG system (although I prefer turn-based / ATB, which is quasi-turn based as far as I'm concerned), but I prefer a more simple straight forward style like that of Secret of Mana (also quasi-turn based action RPG, in a different sense than ATB though) or Brave Fencer Musashi or even Zelda (although I consider that just action w/o RPG). Kingdom Hearts is just manic button mashing with ridiculous combos that are largely out of user control other than setting some skills. FFXV unfortunately looks rather similar and I have to say that adding more complexity to the system doesn't necessarily make it better if it still has the KH style at its core.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    I'll say this outside of spoilers, because I don't mind starting this discussion. It IS action, but this is no longer like Kingdom Hearts. Not at its core or anything.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    It's closer to the console versions of dragon age inquisition control wise.
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2016
    Macstorm wrote: »
    I feel ya and see exactly where you are coming from, Phil. That said, this is no KH battle system (which I also hate), as it has tons more depth, but is still way more action than you'd probably like.

    It's not the action I don't like if they are smooth and done right... which tends to happen more with games that focus on those mechanics. I'll definitely give it an honest, fair shot when I finally do pick it up and get to it. BTW, would you say that, in combat, your companions actions are important to success/failure, or largely ignore-able... providing maybe nice boons here and there?
    Spoiler:
    Along those lines... I do like/love actiony games if done right like Hyrule Warriors, Dragon Quest Heroes, Double Dragon, Kingdoms of Amalur (So much fun), some of the Zeldas etc. However, those games generally focus on a single character fighting at a time, with RPG like leveling mechanics ...and not a lot of real time tough decisions to be made. I've just struggle with enjoying games that try too hard to blend crunchy RPG combat mechanics with an actiony feel. If a game goes from simply fight with combos and the occasional special attack/spells to thinking through what you need to do next carefully, often (and hoping your AI friends pull their weight by making decent decisions in the fight), I just start wishing those things were actually turn based to give me the time to do so..instead of relying on me to pause a lot. It seems counter intuitive to me. If a game is supposed to be fast, furious (as an action game should), why do I have to keep pausing and choosing things to win? ROFL. I think that's why Strategy+RPG combat works well for me, but not Actiony+RPG. One seems like PB&J, the other like PB&Mayo :p With that said, it CAN work for me if done well. I like Odin Sphere, for example, which is exactly that blend of Action + RPG combat. So, I definitely need to give this a fair shot before passing real 'judgement'... and I will at some point :)





    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
Sign In or Register to comment.