If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Falcom Provides Updates on Ys, The Legend of Heroes

Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing EditorRPGamer Staff
Falcom's shareholder meeting provided updates on the company's two long-running series. Ys VIII's PS4 version now has a date in Japan and we also get to see as the first screenshots from Trails of Cold Steel III

[ Story ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• VeghEstherVeghEsther technically on-topic Full Members
    edited December 2016
    Now that CS3 is ONLY going to be on the PS4 I'm SOL since I WAS hoping that my CS2 file For BOTH the American and JPN vita only versions ON the PS3/Vita COULD be used to to play CS3 ON the Vita/PS TV via data transfer but it looks like my CS2 save files will be useless since the first 2 games were playable on the PS3/Vita so I see really NO point in having CS3 be PS4 only.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    VeghEsther wrote: »
    Now that CS3 is ONLY going to be on the PS4 I'm SOL since I WAS hoping that my CS2 file For BOTH the American and JPN vita only versions ON the PS3/Vita COULD be used to to play CS3 ON the Vita/PS TV via data transfer but it looks like my CS2 save files will be useless since the first 2 games were playable on the PS3/Vita so I see really NO point in having CS3 be PS4 only.

Why exactly are you assuming there would be no way to import a save file from PS3/Vita? We already have numerous games that cross-save between 2-3 of the platforms.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    edited December 2016
    Well I don't even OWN a PS4 in the first place that's why I'm SOL since my Vita/PS3 Cold Steel 1 and 2 save files would be useless for CS3 unless a Vita version of CS3 WILL get made.

That and had I been able to own a PS4 its kind of a pain in the ass to try to convert a Vita/PS3 save file TO be carried over to a PS4 to begin with.
  • minneyarminneyar Member Full Members
    VeghEsther wrote: »
    I see really NO point in having CS3 be PS4 only.

The point is that the PS4 is Sony's current-gen console. The PS3 is completely dead, and the Vita is on its last legs. CS3 is still a year away in Japan and probably one or two more years away in English, and it's a safe bet the Vita will be dead by then, too. You can't expect developers to stick to previous-gen consoles forever.

There are numerous ways that Falcom could handle importing data into CS3 on PS4; they could use the PSN's cross-save functionality to get access to the data, or scan your trophies to see which ones you acquired, or just let you pick from a handful of options at the beginning of the game to simulate choices you made in the previous one.
  • If Suikoden 3 on PS2 can carry over data from its PS1 predecessor's, I don't see why CS3 couldn't carry over CS 1 + 2 if they really wanted to.

Class VII is gonna be old fogies though, probably a lot of re-treading with new teenage characters in this one.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Wasn't that due to the PS2 supporting all PS1 accessories, though?
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • I dunno, can't you rent/stream ps3 games on the ps4? I just play games, I don't understand how they work.
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    To be fair, the only thing that really needs to be brought forward into the new game is who Rean's girlfriend/best buddy was, and you can do that with a dialogue option.
    The only reason I wanted CS3 TO become a Vita title is because I wanted the entire trilogy of the 3 games to ALL be on the same system but that's just not going to happen.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    I dunno, can't you rent/stream ps3 games on the ps4? I just play games, I don't understand how they work.

PlayStation Now streams PS3 games, but I'm not sure about the portability of save files.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    If Suikoden 3 on PS2 can carry over data from its PS1 predecessor's, I don't see why CS3 couldn't carry over CS 1 + 2 if they really wanted to.

The PS2 was backwards compatible though. It had to use PS1 save files for PS1 games anyway. Also, I seem to remember, but correct me if I'm wrong, that carrying over data to Suikoden 3 did a lot less than from Suikoden to Suikoden 2.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I think we're getting well a field here, PS4 can read from usb drives and it's super easy to copy a save from PS3/Vita onto a computer. If needed, a save transfer solution would be super easy to find. All said, I would expect the path of least resistance and having the game just asking you what choices you made in previous games.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • ultranessultraness Member Full Members
    Considering how minor the benefits from transferring saves in the series has been so far, I really don't see how this is an issue.
    I finally own a PS4 but that's because to stay on my moms health insurance I can't have any money in my physical bank account over 1000 (I had 1400 left over) so I was kind of forced to buy a PS4.

But at least I can redownload CS1 and 2 on the PS4 in the mean time since it may take to 2018 or 2019 for a CS3 localization.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Those were both PS3 games.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited December 2016
    I know that but the PS4 itself doesn't play physical discs of PS3 games at all so the only way I could transfer a cleared save file from Cold Steel 2 to CS3 if the game allows that is to replay both CS1 and 2 on the PS4 via PSN only.

However you can only play those PS3 games via PS now which is temporary if you don't keep up the monthy/yearly payments.

So I'm not exactly how sure a CS2 save file to CS3 would actually work IF at all because of that.

.....You don't save on the physical discs. I'm not sure how this works because I've never used PS3 save data on a PS4 game, but can't you just transfer the save files? Why do you have to play it again?
    Im my case I couldn't transfer the PS3/Vita version save files of BOTH CS games to the PS4 so I had to replay both games on the PS4 to use a cleared save file of CS2 to CS3 that is assuming CS3 allows clear data transfer.
    Also, seems like a lot of trouble to go through just for clear data transfer. They are long games - I'm still not done with the first one (mind you I put it on hold and then started playing DQ7 and other games before getting back to it). I guess you're pretty big on maxing everything though.
    edited December 2016
    Not for me heck even my JPN PS3 version of BOTH Cold Steel 1 and 2 only took me a average of 30 hours ON 1 run of the game 100% AP AND on nothing but "easy" mode.

So I still beat the american PS3/Vita version of CS1 on easy mode in only 25 hours (and only got 33 hours out of CS2).

My DQ7 3DS file TOOK way longer over 150 hours (and by then) I just started the Demon Lord fight (the one from the PS1 version that ENDED disc 1) by that 150+ hours mark.

Also since CS3 will have more of the Crossbell region area's show up (from Zero/Ao No Kiseki) I'm hoping more then 1 dungeon/area from those games does show up in CS3 in CS2 their was only 1 area from Zero/Ao No kiseki that showed up.