If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2017 Completed Game List

Comments

• ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited November 2017
    Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth (3DS). Was holding out on reporting this one until I did all of the post game stuff available. My team finalized on Pugilist, Masurao, Harbinger, Necromancer, and Shaman.

Unfortunately over the past couple weeks I had to go to the hospital and have an operation, which left me confided to bed for awhile. I spent most of that time on the post game, which was something I was thankful for given the game's nature lended itself well to my predicament. The game as a whole was very fun and easygoing to play, but its decidedly below EO4 and I'm not sure if the sometimes frustrating but fulfilling EO3 doesn't top it as well. EO5 is a good "back to its roots" entry in the series after the Untolds, but I really think they need to build on the complexity of mechanics and classes found in the previous two mainline games, rather than dial things back and make it easier for newcomers. My biggest gripe was just how simple bosses were in this game. They were by far the easiest of any game in the series. Which is strange because the random encounters were quite varied, somewhat dangerous, and engaging to fight against, perhaps the most they've ever been. At the end of the day though I'm just glad to play another good game in a good series. Not every game has to be the best in its series as long as its fun and rewarding, and I think EO5 was able to accomplish such a feat quite adequately.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    VA-11 HALL-A (Vita, 10 hours) - Really loved the characters here, as that's the main point of the game to interact with them. And this game proves once again that the way to interest me in a visual novel style setup is to give me more to do than just reading walls of text.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    .hack//G.U. Vol. 1: Rebirth (PS4, 33 hours; via .hack//G.U. Last Recode)

Hurray, I completed my first G.U. game. For some reason, I passed on the trilogy back when it came out 11 years ago, despite being drawn into JRPGs by the original tetrology for the series when I was in middle school. Well, better late than never, especially since this looks to be a very good HD collecting. Hopefully this is all going to lead to a new revival/direction for the series. I have heard nothing good about the series's direction after G.U. The events of The World R:X sound absolutely terrible, and it's almost all been region locked. An alternative version of the 2020s might be the best idea at this point. While I know a lot of people here are shotgunning the collection, I will be taking a break between volumes, so don't be expecting to see Vol. 2 from me until late winter next year.
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection [PC] Fun, charming little game, though I could have done without some of the boss fights.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    .hack//G.U. Last Recode (PS4) - 100% Platinum Trophy

What a nostalgic trip this game was, so many things I had long missed and forgotten, brought back to life on the PS4. Made sure to fill every Ryu Book completely, including leaving no ??? logs for enemies and equipment/items. Volume 4 was a nice epilogue addition to the game, and I was surprised when I saw they dropped a hint that CyberConnect2 is working on another .hack game. If it feels as good as running through these past Volumes were, I can't wait.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    I didn't rush to play Pyre (PC) because 3v3 tiny arena soccer RPG didn't sound fun to me, but its setting and characters captivated me from the moment the game started. I didn't know it was so story heavy, which is a good thing, and the battles were more satisfying that I expected. It's a special, original RPG that gripped me enough that I played it for 2 hours one day, then 12 hours the next to finish it. I couldn't put it down.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited November 2017
    Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (PS4). Did just about everything you could do in the game other than beating it on the hardest difficulty. Went through it on Hard which seemed like a good sweet spot, otherwise I imagine some of the Interceptions and stuff would be rather annoying to S Rank.

Anyways, wow. What a fantastic game Ys 8 is. Its crazy to think, but with the localization issue, which is definitely overblown in my opinion, I feel like this game kind of went a little under the radar and haven't seen too many folks talking about it. The combat, story, and exploration are all very satisfying and quite robust this time around, making for an extremely fulfilling experience that has pretty much cemented Falcom in my mind as the premiere company for RPGs now. This is certainly the most fun I've had with the Ys battle system to date, as Flash Guarding was very well executed and made timing enemy attacks extremely satisfying. I mostly played as Dana, as Adol himself was a little boring to control this time around especially with fun units like Ricotta and Laxia in the alternate damage type slots. Speaking of Dana, I appreciated how this was really her story as the protagonist while Adol ended up taking more of a backseat by being a reliable guide and leader type character, while still maintaining an appropriate enough personality that can be inferred through actions and choices. This approach worked well and allows for different methods of storytelling without having to have Adol be the sole driver of events. All the castaways and the well paced story really propelled this game up there beyond something thats a mindless hack and slash, which I see people saying sometimes. It drove the action and exploration, and starting the game out with this simple premise that became fleshed out over time made Ys 8 truly special. If this is the direction the series is going then I hope it stays strong and they keep making a lot more. Cause Ys 8 was so much fun.
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members

What a nostalgic trip this game was, so many things I had long missed and forgotten, brought back to life on the PS4. Made sure to fill every Ryu Book completely, including leaving no ??? logs for enemies and equipment/items. Volume 4 was a nice epilogue addition to the game, and I was surprised when I saw they dropped a hint that CyberConnect2 is working on another .hack game. If it feels as good as running through these past Volumes were, I can't wait.

How? It's been just over two weeks. I was only able to finish Vol. 1 with intent to Plat.

Speaking of which, I got all the books to Level 3, but I admittedly did not hunt down every single monster or item that was missing. So long as I maxed the books to their limit for this volume, I should still be good, right?
    Clix wrote: »

How? It's been just over two weeks. I was only able to finish Vol. 1 with intent to Plat.

Speaking of which, I got all the books to Level 3, but I admittedly did not hunt down every single monster or item that was missing. So long as I maxed the books to their limit for this volume, I should still be good, right?
    You're talking to somebody who is sadly a NEET (Not Employed, in Education, or Training), I had a lot of time to work on this. You'll be fine as long as you just got all the books to Level 3 for Vol 1 and Level 6 for Vol 2. Getting more isn't really required, it just gives you a little bit of a head start on the next Vol's books.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2017
    Clix wrote: »

You're talking to somebody who is sadly a NEET (Not Employed, in Education, or Training), I had a lot of time to work on this. You'll be fine as long as you just got all the books to Level 3 for Vol 1 and Level 6 for Vol 2. Getting more isn't really required, it just gives you a little bit of a head start on the next Vol's books.

I'm not sure either are required, actually. As long as you get any 5* quest equipment, you should be golden. I'm not sure which quests have unique equipment, unfortunately. In any case, the only difficult achievement is getting all the books to rank 9. I'm not sure if you need 100% item/enemy completion for that or not, though. Most of mine are at rank 8 having just finished the Forest of Pain in volume 3. Bike is still rank 7 but it's really easy to get up. In Vol. 3 equip a no-encounters accessory (you get one for one of the bike quests anyways) and just crash into monsters. It flies up.

In any case, the achievement is just to get the books to rank 9. Doesn't matter if you max them in the earlier volumes or not.

Edit: Can now confirm, you don't need 100% items or enemies in order to max out the books, so if you're wanting to platinum, don't worry too much about it. Similarly, to get the quest completion achievements, you only need to complete the associated quest once in any of the three games, doesn't matter which one, so if you want to leave it til Redemption, you can.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Just wrapped up .hack//G.U. Vol. 4: Reconnection (PC) via .hack//G.U. Last Recode. Hard to call this one a full game since its only a few hours long, but I counted the other three volumes already. Also, all four as a set are platinum too!

I am so, so happy they made this remaster. It was amazing returning to a series that has long been one of my favorites, and Reconnection was the perfect cap-off to an amazing story.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4, 18 hours) - Just stuck to the main quest for the most part, but I really dug this.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Phantasy Star II (Genesis)

At long last I put the time to grind and manage to beat the Dark Force!!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
    Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Wii U, 7 hours) - I started this back in 2014, but finally returned and finished this up. Fun stuff.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch) is done. A review will be coming at the appropriate time :)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    edited November 2017
    Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception (PS4). Took about 45 hours to complete.

And so ends my arduous journey with with this first installment. Back when it first came out, I was super excited as I love Tears 2 and this game looked extremely similar. It ended up being the worst paced Visual Novel I've ever played. The first 15 hours, with the exception of the introductory events, left me completely uninterested in the story, so I quit and took a break. After finishing Ys 8, I decided to go back to it, remembering that many people have said the second half was very enjoyable. Fast forward another 15 hours, and I had pretty much had enough. The writing was so egregiously prolonged, repetitive, and predictable in the utterly uninteresting slice of life food and comedy segments that I literally said to myself if the mythical second half of the game doesn't start the next time I turn it on that I'd be done. Well, by some miracle the plot just decided that it was finally time to get going and blitzkreiged itself through a bunch of back story and a couple of major conflicts. You know, all that good stuff that they could have spent the first 30 hours on by making these events more robust and expansive. There's literally a 15 minute segment where
    Spoiler:
    the mikado goes over the past history of the world with no visuals to accompany.
    Compare that to 30 hours of shin kicking and yummy food. The fact that Tears 2 gets blasted apart for being long winded and text heavy while this one gets away with whats essentially padding to justify two games just boggles my mind. Not to mention practically every battle was an absolute joke compared to your typical SRPG. Sorry, just had to vent all my pent up frustrations with MoD.

That being said, I really did enjoy the last third of the game, particularly the final few hours that were especially captivating and did leave me feeling quite happy I persevered. When the last 15 hours got going the events that unfolded were a pleasure to read and set up for a what I can only imagine is going to be a very exciting second half. The music, presentation, and visual flair is easy on the senses and a step above most older visual novels too, which is appreciated. Unfortunately with Xenoblade 2 coming this week I'm not sure if I'll get around to Mask of Truth this year, but regardless I'm eager to give it a try when the time is right.
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    .hack//G.U. vol. 1//Rebirth [PC]: Gonna have to take a break between playing these games or I feel i'll burn out on 'em real quick.
    Wonder Boy in Monster World (PS3)

I got that game back with the SEGA Vintage Collection: Monster World, I will try to finish in monster land before trying for the first time the IV one.

The end game of this one was a lot harder that I remember. there was a part with some platform that really needed all my patience to get over it, and the final boss was no walk in the park either! but it was great fun and I manage to get all achievement :)

Well seeing lot of you talking about the new .hack G.U. really make me want to buy it, I did have the older series and only the first one of the G.U., but I will resist for now, have other game I want to play and finish first!

sig.gif
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Fire Emblem Awakening - 3DS

Apparently making this a month of Fire Emblem
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    Hatsune Miku Project Mirai DX - 3DS

Has the cutest art style, but that's about it. I usually have trouble even clearing max difficulty songs, but not here.

Ever Oasis - 3DS
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited December 2017
    Thaumistry: In Charm's Way (PC)

This is a good "My First Text Adventure" game. ~10 hours of content (if you don't cheat) with reasonable, uncomplicated puzzles, and a decent but unexceptional story. Unfortunately it is too mediocre to ushering in any kind of text adventure revival, but it still a fun, cute game.

Spellbreaker (PC)

This game has a reputation as being the best puzzler Infocom ever made. I definitely had a blast with it, and while I must admit I didn't manage to finish it without hints I persevered with it beyond the level I usually do. Unfortunately there are 2-3 puzzles I just would not have ever worked out myself. Took me around 22 hours to finish; more than double any other Infocom game.
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    Ombres wrote: »

How long did you grind after you got the Nei sword?

• redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    Destiny 2 (XBONE) Finished the story and ran credits, so it counts. Will try the raid at some point soon, but not there quite yet. The shooting stuff part is great. Everything else is kind of meh.
    redwing42 wrote: »
    Destiny 2 (XBONE) Finished the story and ran credits, so it counts. Will try the raid at some point soon, but not there quite yet. The shooting stuff part is great. Everything else is kind of meh.

How long did it take for you to mainline the story?
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Steven Universe: Save the Light (PS4) -- I will be writing a review for this one, but just to give you an idea of how glitchy this game is... I rolled credits and halfway through a PlayStation error occurred! Yay!
    Wonder Boy in Monster Land via SEGA Vintage Collection: Monster World(PS3)

Well this one was very hard, can't believe I manage to finish it! If you ever play it, don't continue, it is hard mode, because your score reset and to get more hearth you need to get a certain score. I lost count of how many time I needed to finally master that game!

The last dungeon, I did give up and follow a guide to find the right way, this maze was deadly and unfair if you don't know where to go, and you can't continue on that level anyway...

Lassic wrote: »
    Ombres wrote: »

How long did you grind after you got the Nei sword?

About 3-4 hours, I was level 35, that did help that I did not use the map to do all dungeon on Dezolis!

sig.gif
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    Macstorm wrote: »
    redwing42 wrote: »

How long did it take for you to mainline the story?

Actual mainline story missions were probably around 6-8 hours, but I've spent 10 or so in the Crucible and another 6-8 in side missions and public events.
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection (PC) - I absolutely adored this game; I probably had a stupid grin on my face for most of it. There were a few minor quibbles: a couple of the boss battles were not completely intuitive and once I had to resort to the forums to figure out exactly what i was supposed to be doing; also there was one area in the final dungeon that had a disappearing floor (after a few seconds), but it didn't reset when I failed and fell through. Not sure if that was a bug or poor design. It's jarring playing this game coming off Ys as this is so much slower, more deliberate combat, but it still isn't as precise as Ys. Also, I'm still not sure about the XP system relying on saving up food dishes to trade in for better XP. Nonetheless, the characters were incredibly charming and got me past the quibbles with the combat. Really glad XSeed decided to localize this; I guess in a few months I'll see how the first game holds up.
    Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS4) - 100% Platinum Trophy

Friend let me borrow this, and my god how addictive this game is. The gameplay being the highlight here, with the majority of hte world being interactive. Climbing buildings, enemies, tossing enemies off cliffs, holding on for dear life as they try to shake you off, quests galore, and everything you pick up being useful in some manner. I found this entire game addictive in almost every way, so I'm saying with certainty that I'll be playing this for a good long time. If you haven't played it, play it, it's definitely worth it.
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Late Shift (PC) - I had a Sega CD and a CD drive on a PC early on (remember when just having a CD drive cost hundreds of dollars and was a big deal) so I played my fair share of FMV games back in the day. In fact, some of my favorites from that era were the half FMV-half something else games (Wing Commander, 7th Guest) so a newish FMV game that looked like it had decent production values? Why not. And Late Shift actually delivered. This is a playable movie; it takes about an hour to "watch" depending on the choices you make. Each time you have a choice to make, the options appear on the bottom of the screen along with a timer (I never let the timer expire to see what happens) and the decisions played out seamlessly for me. Oh right, the story; you play as a night attendant at a parking garage who gets roped into an art heist and your decisions become whether to go along with it or take a risk to attempt to blow the heist up. I don't want to oversell it; but, it was a fun romp in an action flick sense so long as you are willing to forgive a leap of logic or two. For a bunch of people I didn't recognize, the acting was pretty good, and the filming quality itself was spot on with TV or low budget movie quality. It probably would have been more fun to play it on a big TV with a bunch of people watching, but I'm still planning on playing it again to see if I can make different choices and get a better ending. I think I preferred this to a Telltale game where all I really care about is making the story choices and seeing it play out, so this had that without the fluff of having to interact with the environment.

All in all, a pretty good... movie... game? Whatever you call it, I liked it and hope there are more.