If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Fire Emblem Echoes Getting Limited Edition

ScionScion RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited March 2017 in Latest Updates
Fire Emblem Gaiden's updated debut in the west is getting a special edition for the fans. A new trailer also gives an overview for the people who don't quite know what's up.

[Story]

Comments

• Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Hope everyone who wanted it got it because, as usual for Nintendo, they sold out fast. I think they were sold out in less than an hour on Amazon.
    In a world with pre-orders, kickstarters, and on-demand printing, shouldn't we be able to figure out a way for people to give Nintendo $80 and then Nintendo prints the exact number of limited editions it needs? Why do we have to stab F5 on an Amazon page in the hopes we are around to grab one when they go live?
  • MyopicMirrorMyopicMirror Full Members
    No kidding, I would have liked to get one but Nintendo seems determined to only print a finite amount of Fire Emblem LE's ahead of time and let everyone else that wants one buy them second hand from scalpers.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    There is a driving factor to having a limited number of copies -- it's a guaranteed sale as opposed to printing an open-ended number of copies and taking the risk that all the LEs aren't purchased at full price.
    That being said, Amazon and other vendors need to institute better and consistent limitations on items like these; they have the capacity to do so (including even if they're just distributing and not the seller themselves) but they've chosen not to. While I don't buy many physical games these days, it's something I applaud and appreciate about the way LRG does their game runs.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    A pretty underwhelming limited edition, kind of disappointed.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    I would have picked it up myself if there was a version that included the Amiibo like PAL has, but instead I got the game and figures separately at different retailers XP
    Paws wrote: »
    There is a driving factor to having a limited number of copies -- it's a guaranteed sale as opposed to printing an open-ended number of copies and taking the risk that all the LEs aren't purchased at full price.

Nintendo could take pre-orders, they announced FE : Echoes in January(? or February can't remember), they could have pre-orders at Gamestop/Amazon/Best Buy til the end of February and only print the amount they had pre-ordered. There is a very clear demand for their products which outpaces their supply rather consistently and really doesn't benefit anyone but scalpers. Nintendo would make twice the money by selling two copies to consumers for retail pricing instead of selling one to a re-seller that plans on flipping it for twice what they paid. They could also charge more if they wanted to and people would pay it, since scalpers are selling them for higher prices, Nintendo is just leaving money on the table at this point.
    It's Nintendo. They'd rather take the sure bet than the risky choice. Also, the LE items would have been manufactured in January, maybe early February, to make it to packers and distro on time. so pre-orders would have had to be, well, last year and cut off in early January -- before the game was ever announced. That stuff takes for-freaking-ever to make it from manufacturing to NA/EU.
    I don't really see how making more money is the risky choice though, sure they might have a few extra LE's on release day, but they will sell. So make the announcement in December and start pre-orders through the holidays, significantly smaller companies can manage it, I don't see why Nintendo can't. But you're right, this is Nintendo we're talking about.
    Bear in mind I do agree with you -- I think they could up their supply of LEs by 10-25% and still be in the safe zone in regards to full sell-through, but I don't have the same numbers they do internally as to whether that makes sense so I'm just trying to make as educated a guess as I can. For all we know, it may have been reliant upon booking the right amount of factory time for everything to be manufactured, because that can be a delightful nightmare.
    Yeah, I'm sure it's not as simple as I'm making it sound, just a shame for consumers that want to give Nintendo their money instead of re-sellers. I hope when Nintendo does a Limited Edition for Fire Emblem Switch they have a better way to gauge demand for it.
  • MeganCouslandMeganCousland Zestfully Clean New EnglandFull Members
    I really like those pins....would love to display them on a jacket....but had no chance to get the limited edition. If I lose my willpower & decide I HAVE TO HAVE THEMMMM I'll probably just buy them on eBay separately.....bummer, though....