If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Another ad campaign

FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon IIFull Members
edited July 2003 in Site & Forum Support
We're about to launch the latest part of the Wizards of the Coast campaign, a popup. Before you all groan, you should receive one popup every 24 hours, so just let it set that cookie, and you will be popup free the rest of the day.

If there are any other popups besides DragonLance, or other WotC games, let us know, so we can take care of it. I haven't seen any myself, but sometimes they change 'global' settings and add campaigns we don't want. tounge.gif
Founder, RPGamer
I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell

Comments

• MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited June 2003
    How long will this ad campaign last? ?Will the pop up be a permanent fixture or will it only be a temporary prescence?
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • SeraphicLawSeraphicLaw Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    I have a pop-up stopper so I don't think this will affect me. Capitan, you can get one too for free. Quite useful really. As long as the ads are in the form of a banner or pop-up, I'll be ok. But if it's those annoying ad crawler thing that sloooowly crawl across your screen, then that could be annoying.
    edited June 2003
    I have a pop up blocker on the computer I use at home, but not on the computers at work. ?I wouldn't download one either. ?That would definitely piss off the management and I would rather be on their good (or indifferent) side.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited June 2003
    Albeit, if the vast majority are carrying pop-up stoppers, that isn't going to get much noticable 'people watching the advertisement' hits.

I have one on as well.

Dracos
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited June 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MonCapitan2002 @ June 29 2003,11:38)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"How long will this ad campaign last? Will the pop up be a permanent fixture or will it only be a temporary prescence?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It's a specific campaign, so it isn't a perm thing. I don't currently know how long this one is, though.
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited June 2003
    I don't have a popup stopper, because I use the Mozilla (and variants) browser, which has it built in. However, I do allow sites to show popups for those I want to support.

That isn't a subtle hint or anything ;>
    Founder, RPGamer
  • agentflitagentflit Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FireMyst @ June 30 2003,12:18)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I don't have a popup stopper, because I use the Mozilla (and variants) browser, which has it built in. ?However, I do allow sites to show popups for those I want to support.

That isn't a subtle hint or anything ;>[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I use mozilla too; it's excelent for dealing with popups.

Try asking microsoft to put a popup blocker in internet explorer ?sarcasm.gif

Actually, I've never been bothered by any ads in RPGamer. I haven't evern come across the "arc the lad" ad more than once...

I support RPGamer! smile.gif

• MithrandirMithrandir Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    To be perfectly honest, I prefer the pop-up over the Arc type ads. If the ad takes over the page I'm looking at, I'm generally annoyed because I can't just close it; I have to wait for the page I want to look at to load. With dial-up and little patience, this gets annoying. But pop-ups can be killed the second they show up.
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Couple of things.

First, I seem to get this ad everytime I visit RPGamer, whether its been 24 hours or not. I checked my cookie settings, and they are allowing the cookie(s) to be set.

Second, the ad is displayed off center on 800x600 displays, resulting in having to drag the window. Probably nothing you can do about though, I assume.
  • Lassarina AoibhellLassarina Aoibhell Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Today I loaded RPGamer and for some reason, got a pop-over Active-X type advertisement for a chicken sandwich from Carl Jr.'s. As the last site I had been at is totally ad-free (I should know, I run it), I'm a little confused. Is this supposed to be happening?

By the way, I'm all for ads to support an AMAZING site, but y'know....it seems like ads *relating* to the site might be more effective (Rather than popups advertising chicken sandwiches for a chain I've never even heard of)?
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    As a minor point totally unrelated to the site, if the only ads you saw were for products you've heard of, the ads would be nearly useless.
  • KamikazeKamikaze Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    And besides, an RPGamer has to eat, right?
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (chiapet @ July 03 2003,11:14)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"First, I seem to get this ad everytime I visit RPGamer, whether its been 24 hours or not. I checked my cookie settings, and they are allowing the cookie(s) to be set.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm barely seeing it once a day with popups allowed. Guess some people are more 'lucky' than others. sarcasm.gif I'd rather be seeing them more.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again....

If it keeps the site free, it's worth any hassle!! tounge.gif
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ July 03 2003,23:39)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"As a minor point totally unrelated to the site, if the only ads you saw were for products you've heard of, the ads would be nearly useless.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Didn't say for products I've heard of, I was more referring to, well, game-type ads. The only reason I brought it up is that I had been under the impression that the pop-up was to be only for WotC products?
  • Options
    edited July 2003
    Hahaha, I just visited the site with my pop up blocker off on accident and got the chicken ad. It was slightly entertaining. Though it was rather pointless, as there's no such thing as Carl's Junior in Milwaukee. tounge.gif
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid|Juravial @ July 05 2003,19:34)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Hahaha, I just visited the site with my pop up blocker off on accident and got the chicken ad. ?It was slightly entertaining. ?Though it was rather pointless, as there's no such thing as Carl's Junior in Milwaukee. tounge.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I hate that chicken ad. ?I couldn't close it when it came up. ?I will avoid the main site while that ad is around.
    LordBilbanes.png
  • CyllyaCyllya Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Okay, that chicken advirtisement was disturbing indeed.

For those who missed it.... CLICK. (The next part shows a big Carls JR burger smashing down on the chick with the caption "...it's on a sandwich."

I went O_O;;;;; through the whole thing.

But it certainly wasn't a WotC product. Is it supposed to be there?
  • janus_zealjanus_zeal Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    The RPGamer staff doesn't get any money, correct? So where does all that ad money go? I realize there are some expenses, such as games to review and such, but is it really that expensive to run? Or is internet ads just not the amount of money I think it is?
  • agentflitagentflit Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    It would be my assumption that the ads greatly reduce or elimate the server fees.
  • TrueGamerTrueGamer Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    I see pop-ads roughly every 5 minutes. After the first wave comes through, I get others every 15 minutes. This is at every website I go to.

I suspect spyware and adware, but how am I going to tell my stepfather to stop randomly downloading stuff when he thinks I need psychiatric evaluation (and being on psychotropics himself) ?

And no, Agentflit, the pop-up blocker you suggested to me doesn't work too well (it blocks up my assignment and e-mails messages more often then not) .
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (janus_zeal @ July 05 2003,17:43)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE".?.?.?but is it really that expensive to run?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ahahahahahahahaha.
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (TrueGamer @ July 05 2003,22:55)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I suspect spyware and adware, but how am I going to tell my stepfather to stop randomly downloading stuff when he thinks I need psychiatric evaluation (and being on psychotropics himself) ?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Don't. Just download Ad-Aware and run it semi-regularly.
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ July 06 2003,01:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE".?.?.?but is it really that expensive to run?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ahahahahahahahaha.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    That expensive, huh?

LordBilbanes.png
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MonCapitan2002 @ July 06 2003,03:53)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"That expensive, huh?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Last time I checked, cheap estimates for bandwidth are about 2 cents/MB in American currency (and this doesn't include server costs or anything like that, if you're not in an all-inclusive package deal). I don't know how accurate that still is, but it's good enough for a quick point. RPGamer's bandwidth usage isn't exactly something I can toss around, but let's pick a round number and see what that leads to.

50 GB/month would be about $1000/month.

Adding up all the graphics and such, RPGamer's front page is about 125KB or so (Front page, not counting any screenshots, art, movies, music, et cetera that people would download). About 10,000 hits on the index page alone, then, assuming that people don't have graphics in cache (The logos and contest/review bars do change pretty often) would be 1 GB.

Now, of course this is oversimplified, and doesn't take into account the existence of any sort of hosting plan (I think I originally got the figure from the lowest number I saw for bandwidth per MB exceeding the monthly limit after checking a few hosting plans), but it can cost a pretty hefty chunk of change to run a popular server that serves lots of images and also has audio files and movies for download. And remember, that's just an estimate for bandwidth, as probably flawed as it is. You also need a server with the disk space and power to handle the site. I'm sure a few of us remember the time not too long ago where RPGamer in general and the boards specifically were getting to be quite slow. This resulted in a server upgrade. And as far as space goes, most plans I've seen (and feel free to point me in the direction of better ones) that offer a fair amount of bandwidth generally only give you a few hundred MB of storage on the server. And as stated by the big man himself when making an announcement on the server upgrade, RPGamer has gigabytes of data.
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MonCapitan2002 @ July 05 2003,16:59)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid|Juravial @ July 05 2003,19:34)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Hahaha, I just visited the site with my pop up blocker off on accident and got the chicken ad. ?It was slightly entertaining. ?Though it was rather pointless, as there's no such thing as Carl's Junior in Milwaukee. tounge.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I hate that chicken ad. ?I couldn't close it when it came up. ?I will avoid the main site while that ad is around.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If you look at the top right corner of the chicken ad, there's a bit of black text that says "Close," which you can click on.

Alternately, do what I do: set your Internet Options to help get away from that.

Go to Tools > Internet Options, hit the Security Tab, and then click Custom Level. At the top is a listing of Active X options. I have mine set thus:

Download Signed ActiveX Controls: Prompt
    Download Unsigned ActiveX Controls: Disable
    Initialize & Script ActiveX Controls not marked as Safe: Disable
    Run ActiveX Controls & Plug-Ins: Enable
    Script ActiveX Controls marked safe for Scripting: Prompt

Then when the ActiveX prompt comes up on the main page of RPGamer, tell it "No." No chicken ad, because it runs off ActiveX.

(Of course, the above is because I'm just damn paranoid about letting 'Net code fiddle around with my computer, but it does save some hassle. Not to mention those stupid ads that some people have--never seen 'em here--that talk.)
    edited July 2003
    Thanks for the advice. ?It is very much appreciated.
    LordBilbanes.png
    edited July 2003
    Uh.. I dunno where the chicken ad came from, and I'll get it removed as soon as I can.

Sorry, I've been sick with a nice fever .. sad.gif
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MonCapitan2002 @ July 06 2003,03:53)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ July 06 2003,01:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE". . . but is it really that expensive to run?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ahahahahahahahaha.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    That expensive, huh?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, if you're really curious, go ahead and try this on your ISP, or a random hosting provider. Call them up, and ask them how much it would cost to host a server that does at least a terabyte a month. Assuming they a) know what a terabyte is and b) didn't hang up on you, it should give you a nice ballpark figure of what bandwidth costs.

Once you've got a price, ask them how much to have 24/7 support on a server (meaning you have to lease one from them).

Buying games for review? I wish.. if the company doesn't give us a copy, the reviewer goes out and buys one with their own money..
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ July 06 2003,08:36)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Adding up all the graphics and such, RPGamer's front page is about 125KB or so (Front page, not counting any screenshots, art, movies, music, et cetera that people would download). About 10,000 hits on the index page alone, then, assuming that people don't have graphics in cache (The logos and contest/review bars do change pretty often) would be 1 GB.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Is index really that heavy? I thought it was only 73K last I checked. I suppose I should see if I can optimize it some more.
    Founder, RPGamer