If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Another ad campaign

2»

Comments

• pneuma08pneuma08 Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    I don't know if this applies at all, but we can't see any server-side languages, so, after processing, it's very possible that the 'website' on the server is a different size than the 'website' that the client sees.

(Mine says it's 39.8KB (40,757 bytes), not counting images.)
    (edit - er, Images is an additional 101KB (103,560 bytes), for a grand total of approx. 140.8KB (144,317 bytes).)

• Captain VittlesCaptain Vittles Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    I'm getting a popup for The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen every time I visit the main page during a new browser session. And there's a banner for the movie that larger than your usual banners, thus sprouting a horizontal scroll bar for me (I use 800x600). This situation doesn't really bother me all that much, but I figured I'd say something in case this is not what you guys were expecting would happen.
  • AletheaAlethea Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm getting a popup for The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen every time I visit the main page during a new browser session. And there's a banner for the movie that larger than your usual banners, thus sprouting a horizontal scroll bar for me (I use 800x600).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, the LXG stuff is annoying. I have yet to see the chicken ad, but that's most likely due to the fact that I use the same settings as suggested by Lassarina Aoibhell (goodness, what a name! biggrin.gif ). I hate these crazy ads, and I'm looking forward to the end of this round. I hate how they show up in a box in the middle of the index updates and make everything look funky. I wish we could also get rid of those annoying internet dating ads with skinny girls saying "Tease Me!" Gag-a-rooney!!!
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Captain Vittles @ July 08 2003,10:33)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm getting a popup for The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen every time I visit the main page during a new browser session. And there's a banner for the movie that larger than your usual banners, thus sprouting a horizontal scroll bar for me (I use 800x600). This situation doesn't really bother me all that much, but I figured I'd say something in case this is not what you guys were expecting would happen.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    LXG is a new campaign.. so yeah, that's what is supposed to happen. The super banners are the same size (768x90) as the ones for the Xenosaga campaign. They're supposed to be those and Arc alone, but I see that hasn't happened yet. Heh. tounge.gif
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • Lassarina AoibhellLassarina Aoibhell Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Alethea @ July 08 2003,11:40)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm getting a popup for The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen every time I visit the main page during a new browser session. ?And there's a banner for the movie that larger than your usual banners, thus sprouting a horizontal scroll bar for me (I use 800x600).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, the LXG stuff is annoying. I have yet to see the chicken ad, but that's most likely due to the fact that I use the same settings as suggested by Lassarina Aoibhell (goodness, what a name! ?biggrin.gif ).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It is quite typo-inducing, isn't it *laughs at herself* I don't even notice anymore, I've been using it so long!

Edit (so I don't double-post): I don't know if this is a bug in the ad or the settings, but the "Build Brand Awareness" ad that appears at the top of the main page (the blue one with yellow circles?) seems to have expanded well beyond the ad box's normal boundaries, such that it pushes the actual info on the index page down (by at least 100 px on my screen). Wasn't sure what the deal was, but thought I'd let you know all the same.

And just for the record, I love this site, and am honestly not trying to be a pain in the arse!

• ParnParn Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Just a side note regarding spyware...

I recommend Spybot - Search & Destroy over Ad-Aware. Same overall function, except Spybot uses less CPU power, isn't feature-locked whether you decide to put some money into it (the author asks for donations, it's your choice), and it seems to work faster. *shrug*

I just grew annoyed with Ad-Aware when it hit 6.x, and they started locking simple features such as selecting all components you wish to remove by default, and offering it only by paying for the software. I chose to instead, download Spybot, liked the software a lot, and then donated some money to the author.

My two cents for the decade.
  • AletheaAlethea Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I recommend Spybot - Search & Destroy over Ad-Aware. Same overall function, except Spybot uses less CPU power, isn't feature-locked whether you decide to put some money into it (the author asks for donations, it's your choice), and it seems to work faster. *shrug*[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, I heard that Spybot is better than Ad-Aware. I downloaded Ad-Aware not too long ago, ran it once, and I was pleased with the results (81 pieces of spyware/potential hijacks blasted off my computer!). I've been hearing so much about how Spybot is better, so I'll probably make the switch. I found out about spyware for the first time last month, and it's now right up there on my "list" with penis enlargement spam and "click here to see my WEBCAM i'm 18 and sexxxy!"
  • Captain VittlesCaptain Vittles Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I wish we could also get rid of those annoying internet dating ads with skinny girls saying "Tease Me!" Gag-a-rooney!!![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

You mean real women aren't exactly like that? Damn you internet, you've mislead me again!! tounge.gif

As for that AdAware vs Spybot thing, I've never tried Spybot (maybe I should...) but I love AdAware. I've got a few bits of spyware on here that AdAware isn't quite good at removing, but other than that I'm happy. And the lack of a 'select all' default for removal isn't so bad considering you can Right Click and Select All once your scan is done. There's also a website I use to find some particularly nasty bits of spyware that infest my machine that AdAware won't pick up.
  • HummingwayHummingway Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    I've been using Spybot for over a year and it has treated me very well. ?Like Alethea, the first time I used it the number of evil things installed on my computer was tremendous, but a weekly scrubbing has cleared up most of the problem. ?This may be old news, but for the file-sharers among us, most programs like Kazaa are really bad about installing those sorts of spywares/adwares. ?Everyone should get Kazaalite, which has all of the file-sharing and none of the evil extras. ?And while I giving out overused, obvious advice, simply cleaning out your cookies every few days can make a world of difference.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Question: Is the Arc the Lad ad campaign still supposed to be going on? I just got it again coming in from the main page to the editorials.

Dracos
  • VeritasVeritas Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    I get it on a fairly consistent basis. I assume they're still supposed to be there. Not that I really mind, I hardly notice them. And a teeny little money grab is not going to anger me. Now... If they start doing non cool ads... e.g. stuff I don't care about... I might complain. ;)