If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2018 Completed Games List

Comments

• Ryan RadcliffRyan Radcliff Caballero The WoodRPGamer Staff
    edited September 2018
    I'll bite.

Here's the list of RPGs I have beaten this year:

Xenosaga 2 - Switch
    Ogre Battle - PS1
    Legend of Heracles 3 - SNES
    Tales of Berseria - PS4
    Ultima 7 - PC *shakes fist at caltrops*
    Battle Chasers - Switch
    Grandia 1 - PS1
    Fire Emblem 6 - GBA
    Octopath Traveler - Switch
    Nier: Automata - PS4
    Secret of Mana - PS4
    Nier - PS3

So far.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you. They exist so you may know your freedoms."
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    Scar wrote: »
    I'll bite.

Here's the list of RPGs I have beaten this year:

Xenosaga 2 - Switch
    Ogre Battle - PS1
    Legend of Heracles 3 - SNES
    Tales of Berseria - PS4
    Ultima 7 - PC *shakes fist at caltrops*
    Battle Chasers - Switch
    Grandia 1 - PS1
    Fire Emblem 6 - GBA
    Octopath Traveler - Switch
    Nier: Automata - PS4
    Secret of Mana - PS4

So far.

You can also list non-RPGs, if you finished any of those.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Miitopia (3DS)

I don't know why, but I did have fun with this game, even if there should be a lot of little thing that bother me, like you can only control your main character, you have to start over 2 times, and when you finally get your party together, some of them can get sick for a while and you can’t play with them while they are sick...
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    Okay.,
    .hack // Mutation (completed and did aftergame stuff) (PS2)

Man, that was a shock when I beat the final boss. I won't say more than "WHAT A MESS!" in case someone hasn't beaten it by now. Off to the next!
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • Sam WachterSam Wachter RPGamer Staff
    Beyond Two Souls (PS4) -- the first quarter of this game was REALLY interesting, and then it just went to bonker places and left the story being a hot disaster with David Cage pretending he understands the feminist manifesto. I generally enjoy playing Cage's games and I tend to go down with a sinking ship, but this one was just lost on me a lot of the time. Shame really.
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4) - Finished this Friday night. I'll have a review up when we return to normal operations and I can get in the right frame of mind to write a positive review. Short version: very, very good, probably the best story in the series.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    Beyond Two Souls (PS4) -- a hot disaster with David Cage pretending he understands the feminist manifesto

This has been in my backlog for years. That summary makes me more interested in finally getting to it. I think Heavy Rain is his only game that DIDN'T become a hot mess by the end.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    7thCircle wrote: »
    Beyond Two Souls (PS4) -- a hot disaster with David Cage pretending he understands the feminist manifesto

This has been in my backlog for years. That summary makes me more interested in finally getting to it. I think Heavy Rain is his only game that DIDN'T become a hot mess by the end.

I'd honestly be curious about your thoughts regarding it. I haven't played his latest yet.

Distress (PC) -- A visual novel made by a friend of mine. I REALLY liked it. I liked how well connected the decisions were, though I was freaked out how I got the happy ending on my friend try. Definitely want to give this a replay and I'll share it on the site in more detail soon.
    Bad Apple Wars (PS Vita) - I got credits on Watse's route and no... this game makes me kinda uncomfortable and I don't think I'll be playing anymore of it. I REALLY disliked the gameplay (the touch system is super awkward and the story is.... all over the place). But yeah, not for me.
    Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) - That was an alright Mario game. Had a lot of the Mario 64 style, but just didn't 100% click with me. I'm certainly not going to jump immediately into the post-game. Didn't jive as much as 3D World and 3D Land. Nonetheless, always good to get a break from RPGs in.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    I've completed a full season in Motorsport Manager (PC), so I guess that counts. Pretty good management sim (I guess... not much reference for me) covering international racing. I'm a big F1 fan, so this hit the right buttons for me.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    Life Is Strange - Episode 1: Chrysalis (PC)
    Life Is Strange - Episode 2: Out of Time (PC)

I played these a few months ago and have had no interest in finishing the episodes, so I'm uninstalling and moving on. It wasn't bad, just too slow for me.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    Donut County (PC) - Do you want a chill Katamari style game with an interesting art style? That's Donut County. There are some very light puzzle elements, but mostly it's about finding things that fit in the hole you control to make it bigger so you can fit more things in the hole. Just like Katamari, it's incredibly basic, but strangely satisfying to suck entire buildings down an ever-growing hole. FYI, it's short to just play directly through (I beat it in 2 hours) if that helps in making the purchasing calculation.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    Golf Story (Switch) Fun writing in a game not really about golf. I still have a few side quests to take care of, but I certainly got plenty of enjoyment out of it. I doubt it will be worth replaying, though, and the golf itself isn't good enough to bring me back.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited September 2018
    Fault - Milestone One (PC)

Pretty short, seemingly episodic VN here. Part of me didn't want to start it until at least another entry was released, but it fit too well with the criteria I was looking for not to give it a try. Right off the bat I was super impressed with the production values of the opening chapter. Everything from the art, camera angles, lighting, and expressions were a cut above most other VNs. The opening lore sounded promising and I was looking forward to how things would progress. Unfortunately, Fault's first entry seems like it was confused on the direction the writing wanted to go. Instead of establishing a concrete platform with which to base future entries on, the majority of the game's story was focused not on the "main characters" but instead on the story of a seemingly unrelated family while most of Chapter One's events are completely ignored in order to tell this tale up until the final 5 minutes of reading. The story that was told here was fairly decent, but the whole time playing it I couldn't help but feel that things were being presented in an inefficient order or that the main focus of the story shifted starkly during development. Additionally, while the actual CGs were stunning, I was a little unimpressed by comparison with the in game models during basic dialogue scenes. Hopefully these are spruced up in future entries. Chapter One was such a good hook that I'll still be playing the sequel, I just hope that the next one sticks with the general premise next time.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    Okay. yay!

.hack //Outbreak (PS2) (clear, did aftergame stuff)

Wow. Maybe there's hope now; that's all I'm going to say in case. But at that last boss; Eeek Black Rose, I didn't want you to hit it! Oh well.
    My personal page
    Tonight I needed to play something calming and somehow beat Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Wii U) in a full sitting. Going to try the harder puzzles another night, but that game is both charming and delightful.
    Just played through Nier again (all endings), so wifey could enjoy the story. Still a roller coaster of emotions for me. Truly one of my favorite games.
    Just played through Nier again (all endings), so wifey could enjoy the story. Still a roller coaster of emotions for me. Truly one of my favorite games.

Just to double check, what name do you want to have your game list recorded under?
    Scar works, but either is fine if you prefer the real name.
    edited September 2018
    Scar wrote: »
    Scar works, but either is fine if you prefer the real name.

One last question, which system did you beat Nier on?

Nevermind.
    Mario+Rabbids - Kingdom Battle (switch)
    sig.gif
    edited September 2018
    Muv-Luv Extra (PC) - Finished most of the routes other than a couple side characters. I might peck away at them, but don't really feel like its worth it.

Oh man, what to say about Extra? Compared to the other VNs I've been playing, its pretty crappy. Granted, I knew it wasn't going to be good going in, and felt like this was a good time to power through in order to get to Unlimited and especially Alternative later on. The biggest hang up for me is just how terrible the protagonist is in this game. He's completely and utterly stupid, unrelatable, and unlikable. Its downright uncomfortable how he treats the girls sometimes, and all immersion in the story is broken trying to understand why these characters would be infatuated with him. This is also one of those games that uses a lot of the Japanese slapstick humor that didn't get a single laugh out of me. When I did a side character's route, Kei, the romance felt especially unnatural and what happens is just more stuff to add to the implausibility meter. On the bright side, I do really like the visuals in game, and I believe the other two games will be able to make better use of them. An interesting side effect of having such an awful main character is that I actually felt a great deal of sympathy for Sumika, more so than I likely would have otherwise. Her ending was satisfying at least. Meiya wasn't what I was expecting given her design, so I think I'll like her a lot going forward too. But yeah, I just hope playing this is worth it for Unlimited and Alternative. I worry that the low quality impression of Extra is going to carryover to them and diminish the experience somewhat. Hopefully the sense of familiarity with the two characters I do like and room for growth for the rest is enough to be enticing.
    edited September 2018
    So okay.

.hack//Quarantine (Clear, most aftergame stuff done)(PS2)

Bad luck on the last dungeon, might come back to it later. But I can say I have beaten this, I did the last gobbie and I don't know if I want to beat the last dungeon now! Too much Data Drain.. But a clear is a clear. And THANK YOU SHADOWCAT for letting me borrow these since they are so darn rare. I'm GLAD to have gotten the chance to play these legally, without having to resort to..not so legal means..to try them.

Was a decent wrap up, ready for the G.U. Remake now when I can work up the monies for it. Shame they didn't remake these too.

Anyway for now; off to Dragon Quest XI for my next gaming adventure, and I'll come back to .hack later.
    My personal page
    edited September 2018
    Fault - Milestone Two Side:Above (PC) - Was playing this alongside Extra and happened to finish it up today.

Like its predecessor, Milestone 2 was a pretty short game under 10 hours, but a tad longer than the first. For starters, this developer really knows how to write an opening hook. The start of Milestone 2 offered an exhilarating series of events to kick things off once again. This one was an improvement in almost every way from the first game. I felt like this is how the story should have started out to begin with, with lots of lore being examined and the main characters were much more involved than they were previously. The overarching plot did get pushed to the side a little, but I think the writing was much better focused than before. Particularly, I liked how the story threads worked together more cohesively. The best thing about Milestone 2 for me was coming home, sitting down at night before bed and reading it to blow off steam and relax. The setting and music of this one really gave off the vibe of visiting a vibrant night-time vacation resort, which aided in soothing the mind. The OST and visuals were fantastic once again. Playing it you can kinda sense the developers are one step short of producing a fantastic, fully fledged product. Unfortunately these are the only 2 episodes released right now, so it'll probably be awhile before getting around to the next one.
    Golf Story (Switch)
    sig.gif
    edited September 2018
    Muv-Luv Unlimited (PC) - May seem like I did this quickly, but I had already started on it before reporting Extra. Only did Meiya and Yuuko routes.

I've got so many mixed feelings about this one, I don't even know where to begin. The most striking thing that comes to mind is that I couldn't help but feel like playing this one first, before Extra, would have made for a more mysterious and compelling setting than actually understanding Takeru's idiotic perspective going in. One would miss out on the character growth here, which was certainly a positive point, so its hard to say with certainty. Another thing that bothered me, having played Extra, is that this game almost felt like they rewrote the same story elements again, which comes across as lazy. The things that really set me over the edge, though, was the fact that there is virtually
    Spoiler:
    no combat with the main antagonistic forces in the game, the aliens. Even the Telltale Walking Dead games use zombies every now and then. You don't even get to see what the aliens look like in this game. Its also beyond frustrating that it feels like no real plot elements were addressed, at all. Theres no answers for what happened to Takeru, what the deal with Kasumi is, where Sumika is, what the deal with that falling space craft was (which was implied to be a legitimate attack), nor do you get even an ounce of payoff for the main plot focus, training to pilot robots to fight aliens.
    In that regard, I honestly feel like Unlimited was a complete failure and possibly even worse than Extra. However, given how much better paced Unlimited was, it held my attention pretty steadily because it had set up scenarios that I figured would have been pretty interesting down the road.

The whole thing was such a strange experience because it was more enjoyable to read than Extra, but looking back I actually think I like Extra more. Its even worse when you think of the burden thats now on Alternative's shoulders. I'm mostly playing the series based on how good Alternative supposedly is, but I wasn't expecting Unlimited to be as much of a letdown as it was. Alternative has to bear the burden of high expectations on top of justifying having spent time on these 2 other games. Guess I'll find out soon?
    Valkyria Chronicles 4 (Switch) - Finally rolled credits on VC4. Outstanding map design and combat; merely ok story and characters. I'm going to take a look at the post-game and write the review.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Final Fantasy XV: HD Pocket Edition (PS4) - 100% Platinum Trophy

Technically I beat this a week ago, but I was trying to get the platinum before I posted it. Despite its looks, it does a good job condensing the storyline for FFXV into a linear cohesive form. A lot of the quips from the characters were here, albeit put in areas where they made sense, and some after quests. There were sidequests here, none of which took too long to perform. There was only one real big addition I saw, and it's one I hope the full FFXV game gets sometime.
    Spoiler:
    During the meeting with Shiva's corpse, you get tossed down to a lower section by a boss, and it's actually explorable, with enemies and everything.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    OG Legend of Zelda (Nintendo Online)

Yup. I can't resist playing this game whenever it comes out on a new platform. Truly a classic.