If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2018 Completed Games List

Comments

• 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    Scar wrote: »
    OG Legend of Zelda (Nintendo Online)

Yup. I can't resist playing this game whenever it comes out on a new platform. Truly a classic.

That's probably the last NES game I replayed (via the Gamecube collection a long time ago). If I had to replay one NES game today, it would be that. It aged really well.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    7thCircle wrote: »
    Scar wrote: »
    OG Legend of Zelda (Nintendo Online)

Yup. I can't resist playing this game whenever it comes out on a new platform. Truly a classic.

That's probably the last NES game I replayed (via the Gamecube collection a long time ago). If I had to replay one NES game today, it would be that. It aged really well.

I played it for the first time last year, also by that GC collection. I was impressed by the feats achieved on such hardware, but I had a hard time getting through the game. I am already bad at Zelda games; the difficulty of the original nearly broke me at times. I always wonder how the GBC remake would have gone if the project hadn't evolved into the Oracle games.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Just wrapped up Dragon Quest XI (PC). Not going to touch the post-game for now, but I might go back to it eventually.

This is the first DQ game I've actually enjoyed enough to finish. Really terrific game.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited October 2018
    Wonderful Everyday ~Diskontinuierliches Dasein~ (PC)

Wow, this VN was just an absolute roller coaster mishmash of all kinds of craziness. Tons and tons of thoughts on this one. Kicking things off with the prologue, Wonderful Everyday comes across as another terrible slice of life VN with awful humor and no real direction. I can see how many people would drop the game after spending 4 to 5 hours getting through this. Wonderful Everyday begins in earnest in Down the Rabbit Hole 2, starting you off with a decent mystery story that keeps the player engaged and coupled with the prologue has you wondering where things will go from the cliffhanger into the next Chapter. Cue Its My Own Invention, which is where the real meat of the story comes in and you begin to see a true descent into madness. The execution in this chapter is outstanding, as things flow smoothly from perfectly normal to complete insanity before you know it. Some of the things that happen are very unsettling in a way that doesn't just present things as shocking, but as surprisingly believable and with a real weight behind them that made me want to look away at times. The following 3 Chapters are all about answering the mysteries posed to the player with each of them acting as an onion layer as you go on.

There were were only a couple of hangups for me with this VN. The most prominent being that I just don't care much for the art style overall. Sure, I like Yuki and Kimika's design, but most of the characters, their clothes, and the backgrounds were not very appealing. I also wish that Kimika could have had more presence overall in the story as she was one of my favorite characters. The second to last chapter felt a little repetitive, so maybe they could have done more with her there.

On the whole though, Wonderful Everyday delivered. I started playing it at the best time, when real life dates matched the in game events. I read that this was heralded as a thought provoking, emotional title online. While thats definitely true, I happened to be pretty familiar with most of the philosophical concepts presented within, however they are written in a very easy to understand and applicable manner to the plot which is an achievement. What really stuck out to me is how impressive the OST was. The tunes here matched the events of the story and the ideas the author was trying to present rather profoundly. I think the soundtrack really put the writing on its back, allowing everything to click and pack the punch it needed to make this VN a truly memorable experience.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    As you saw on the help thread, just clobbered Dragon Quest XI(PS4). Soon as I can figure out how to finish the party, I'll get to the post-game and true ending.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited October 2018
    While I'll still continue to play the game until I get a different ending (Law by the looks of it), I did get the Nihilist ending in Shin Megami Tensei IV for the 3DS.

As I haven't played any of the other numbered SMT games and thus can't compared IV to them, I think I prefer Strange Journey to this game. ISMT IV is not bad and it's less aggravating than SJ in some respects, but it's story is all over the place, the character are largely one-note and I see now why everyone complains about the maps. :P I just love fusing new demons, though. :)
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited October 2018
    While I'll still continue to play the game until I get a different ending (Law by the looks of it), I did get the Nihilist ending in Shin Megami Tensei IV for the 3DS.

As I haven't played any of the other numbered SMT games, I think I prefer Strange Journey to this game. It's not bad and it's less aggravating in some respects, but it's story is all over the place, the character are largely one-note and I see now why everyone complains about the maps. :P I just love fusing new demons, though. :)

Plan on playing the sequel(?)?
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited October 2018
    Sup. It's almost a year since I posted a game here because... I haven't beaten a video game in almost a year. Too busy playing tabletop RPGs. But Wadjet Eye released another adventure game so I guess I have to play that, especially now that every other adventure game studio is basically dead.

Unavowed (PC)

40% decent story, 50% easy/simplistic puzzles, 10% narrative choices that are interesting at the time but don't ultimately matter that much. You take 2 of 4 companions with you on "missions" a la Bioware games, and the story and puzzles play out differently depending on who you take, which is neat but doesn't make me want to play the game over again when the puzzles themselves are so weak. The pixel art is awesome (at least in the places where it matters) and makes exploring the world a real pleasure, so even though the gameplay sucks the experience was compelling enough that I blasted through it in a few days. Overall the game reminds me a lot of the old Westwood Blade Runner game, with more simplistic narrative mechanics but a more polished story.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    Into the Breach (Switch) - I've beaten the game once, with the second set of mechs I unlocked (the Rusting Hulks). Plenty to go back for, but I will say that this is a really good game. The layer of manipulating enemy placement is interesting and challenging. Also, this is a great game for Switch, in that it is easy to pick up and put down at any point.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Graveyard Keeper (PC)

Even if Stardew Valley was better, I did still have a lot of fun with this one, almost 46 hours to finish it.
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    Clix wrote: »
    Plan on playing the sequel(?)?
    Not right away, but indeed I will. I actually contemplated skipping IV and going straight to Apocalypse.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• Sam WachterSam Wachter RPGamer Staff
    Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4) -- Still my favourite Yakuza storyline in any of the games (though damn did I love Zero and Song of Life). Still need to do the Majima Saga, which I am super jazzed about.
    edited October 2018
    The Lost Child (PS4) -- I hadn't played a Wizardry clone in a while and was intrigued by the SMT/El Shaddai influences. Relative to similar games, the simple plot wasn't entertaining nor did it make much sense, the encounter rate was too high in dungeons that were too large, and the lack of MP restoratives meant the most efficient way to play was to spam attack and save skills for bosses or dire situations. It was also missing some basic UI conveniences that JRPGs have made standard-ish for over a decade, and the puzzles and floor layouts didn't get interesting until the last dungeon.

But I finished it, and most of those gripes are minor. I'm done with 1st person dungeon-crawling until EO comes out next year.
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    428: Shibuya Scramble (PC) What an amazing visual novel. It starts out following five characters who are in Shibuya as a kidnapping ransom is paid off. They all end up interacting and influencing each other in unexpected ways. The game has a fantastic sense of humor but develops into a serious and interesting thriller by the end. Seriously one of the best visual novels I've ever played. I'm not sure it would convince people who are opposed to the medium as a matter of course, but it is a fantastic ride for those that are keen on text-heavy games.
    Metal Max Xeno (PS4) - It was apparently my night for finishing games. I finally managed to take down Catastrophus. I wish I could say it was because I leveled up, equipped my tank better, and used my knowledge of the battle system to outsmart him, but ultimately I just finally got a lucky run. I still like parts of this game: the weird concept, the crazy enemy designs, and outfitting a cadre of tanks. But the story is terrible and it's hard to forgive getting to the final boss in 25 hours and taking another 15 to get past it. At least that one is over.
    edited October 2018
    I made the mistake of starting The Banner Saga 3 (PC) on a work night. Got 4 hours of sleep that night and 3 hours last night, and the game is done in 2 days.

This is the best in the series for me. Harder than 2, with more tactical options than 1, and the most intense story of the three. It had my heart racing a lot, even during some of the Oregon Trail segments where you're just watching a wagon crawl. I got several of the "You Done Good" story achievements.
    Spoiler:
    Rook died, which seemed bad, but then the ending sequence for him is positive, so I'm going to say he's happier dead.

A Fallout-like series of epilogue shorts based on my actions would have been nice, but I get that's a pain to implement, and there was something cool about leaving the details to my imagination. The ending covered what happened to the key protagonists, and I was satisfied with that.

Really looking forward to replaying all three games in a year or two.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    CrossCells (PC)
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
    edited October 2018
    Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4)

Took 65 hours over two years but I'm finally done with this game. Great game, especially the DLC areas with the crazy bosses. Took me about 5 hours of retries to beat Fume Knight. I'm glad I waited several years before playing it since I know I would have burnt out on the weaker first half of the game if I'd played it right after DS1, but overall I wouldn't rank it that much lower than the first game in terms of quality. If it's true that this is the "bad" one and DS3 is an improvement then the Souls series (including Demon's and Bloodborne) is definitely my pick for best video game series ever.
    Drav wrote: »
    Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

Took 65 hours over two years but I'm finally done with this game. Great game, especially the DLC areas with the crazy bosses. Took me about 5 hours of retries to beat Fume Knight. I'm glad I waited several years before playing it since I know I would have burnt out on the weaker first half of the game if I'd played it right after DS1, but overall I wouldn't rank it that much lower than the first game in terms of quality. If it's true that this is the "bad" one and DS3 is an improvement then the Souls series (including Demon's and Bloodborne) is definitely my pick for best video game series ever.

PC?
    Sorry, updated. PS4.
    Assassin's Creed Origins (PC) - I never gotten more than a few hours into and AssCreed before and that was pretty okay... the story is a jumbled mess with bad pacing and I still don't see what the point of the modern day part of the story is; thankfully it can be mostly ignored in this one. Did really like Bayek and Egypt was a stunning setting. The artists at ubisoft are really impressive; you'll go to the edge of a settlement and find a dump of broken pottery just like archeologists use today to discover info about ancient Egypt and there is something kinda cool about raiding into pyramids.
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Final Fantasy X (PS Vita) -- after a very long history of not beating this game, I finally went and did it.
    edited November 2018
    Cinderella Phenomenon (PC via Steam) -- Such a fantastic otome game! I am looking forward to tackling some of the other routes, but the Mermaid's storyline that I completed was fantastically intricate. If you love otome games, I highly recommend this one!
    Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales (PC) started rough for me. The 1st chapter gives you a simple deck, an uninteresting story, and runs a bit too long. Once I adjusted my expectations for the game -- the story is fine, but vastly inferior to the other Witcher games and books, and the CCG gameplay is more about solving puzzles and tricky opponents than deck-building and customization -- I enjoyed it from chapter 2 on. You never know how much of it's smoke and mirrors, but the ending did feel unique to how I played the game and the choices I made, and it all felt very natural. My only issue was when one companion left my army after a story event, it felt forced and out of line with her character up until that point. It was minor, though.

I wish the writing and story were closer to the series' high standard, and you had more deck-building options, but I had fun and it was worth playing.
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4) -- Probably the weakest of the series for me. It starts out so strong and then turns into a haphazard mess in the later stages of the game both story and gameplay-wise. It just felt too short and left more glaring plot holes than anything else.
    edited November 2018
    The Evil Within 2 (PS4) - My first console game in quite a while, and more robust than I was expecting in terms of content.

That being said, I have very mixed opinions on the game. The best way I can think of to describe this title is that someone took an underappreciated and flawed cult classic, amped up the production values, followed a by-the-numbers formula, and was determined to tackle the worst aspect of its predecessor, ultimately resulting in something that is a completely different experience from the first. I say this because, as a horror title, there's nothing scary here at all, and in fact it feels like they took Capcom's approach to making their RE titles more action adventure-esque. The story in Evil Within 2 was very weak, there was no mystery or intrigue, most of the conversations came off as being read directly from a script, and the overall plot felt like I had seen it 100 times before. Its saying something that the hypest moment of Evil Within 2 was the
    Spoiler:
    Boss Rush from Evil Within 1.
    That being said, Evil Within 2's gameplay was just leaps and bounds better than the first one. The stealth capabilities alone were tons of fun, especially with the Smoke Arrow that let you slay enemies inside of it. Honestly, all the ability and weapon upgrades were pretty fun to use and changed how you approach fights as the game went on, making all the exploration worth it. Just being able to approach many of the encounters with your own set of tools and multiple vantage points was quite refreshing and kept me playing constantly without ever feeling bored.

But yeah, I don't know. Evil Within 2 was a very fun game, but felt just as flawed as the first one did for completely opposite reasons. On top of that, it had some of Bethesda's odd glitches, as well as camera and lighting issues. It'd be nice if 2 nailed the creativity and horror of the first game, but having a more fun to play, cinematic style of game over the weekend isn't bad either.
    Mercenaries Wings: The False Phoenix (Switch) - Review to come once I see how different the 2 paths actually are. If you liked Mercenaries Saga games, you'll feel right at home and this will be another small step forward. Otherwise, it's SRPG comfort food; the story isn't amazing, but the combat and class system are quite fun.
    The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav (PC)

I have been meaning to check out Daedalic Entertainment's adventure games for a while and my understanding is that this is their best series. It is indeed quite good, with fantastic hand-painted (I think) art and story/characters that are just compelling enough to keep things interesting without being so compelling that I had to fight off the urge to cheat to get to the next story scene. The game is very linear, with no puzzle-solving between locations and no way to travel back to any location you've previously visited, but the forward-motion gives the game the appropriate feeling of an epic quest, and some of the locations are large enough that there is still some reasonably meaty puzzles to solve. Unfortunately you quite often start collection the pieces to solve puzzles well before you are actually presented with the puzzle, which ends in a lot of jarring moments where you're, saying, collection horse meat off a dead horse for seemingly no goal or narrative reason. The item combinations required for some of the more difficult puzzles also feel very adventure-game-logic-y, which makes reasoning them out more difficult than it needed to be. I wouldn't call it a must-play adventure but it left me quite keen on playing the sequel.
    edited November 2018
    Muv-Luv Alternative (PC) - Wow this one was longer than both the previous Muv Luvs combined. So the big question is finally answered. Was Alternative good enough to justify playing Extra and Unlimited?

Answer is easy. Hell yes it was. By no means does Alternative excuse those two games, and I'd maybe argue that a light skim with Extra and skipping Unlimited entirely is the best way to approach things. Alternative, like its predecessors, gets started off slowly, but thats only because it retreads old ground from the previous two games, likely as a reintroduction to newcomers or as a reminder between releases. It also suffers from overexposure to past characters, some of which weren't that likable in their initial games. And it suffers from both high, and practically demanded expectations after its predecessors. Yet Alternative still manages to deliver a stellar compilation of genres, from action, and romance, to sci-fi and thriller, and then some. Once the gears start turning, the high octane combat is impeccable. Its nearly impossible to put the story down during the action, and the punches it delivers are so hard that taking a break from reading is actually a positive experience. The production values for a VN made in 2006 are quite impressive and unexpected, especially compared to more recent titles. They pulled out all the stops here, and I'd love to see what could happen if the devs of Fault for example had the budget to make something like this 10 years after the fact.

Alternative is a fantastic roller coaster and I'm so glad I didn't give up and waited in that long line to take a ride.
    Somehow Tyranny (PC) released 2 years ago without me hearing about it, despite it being an Obsidian game. By the time it popped up as a Steam recommendation, player feedback was mixed, so I waited until I was in the right mood given its weaknesses.

It was so much better than I was expecting. With the choices, deep lore, and emphasis on role-playing over combat, it reminded me of Planescape: Torment's formula more than any other CRPG I've played. It had a couple great choice-related story moments that I think I'll remember for a while. The ending in particular let me execute EXACTLY what I had been role-playing in my mind all game. It might be a good starter CRPG for people who don't like real-time-with-pause, if you're okay being evil. My mind gravitates toward Lawful Neutral choices, and it was weird having to constantly remind myself that I'm evil and should do evil things.