If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2018 Completed Games List

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited November 2018
    Spyro: Reignited Trilogy (PS4) - 100% Platinum Trophy (all 3 games have their own list)

Talk about a well done remaster. Everything is true to how it was in the originals, and the new visuals look really good. I was surprised that they were able to get the original voice cast back for the trilogy, and it was nice to hear their voices again. For anybody on the fence about it, get the game, it's definitely worth it.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Octopath Traveler(switch)

this was such a great trip, I can say this was the best game that I played this year! I did clear all 8 stories, at first I thought there gonna be something else after all 8 of them, but I can see where it can go if there a sequel to this! almost 80 hours in, still have to do some side quest to really complete it, I might do that :)
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories (PS4 via Kingdom Hearts I.5 + II.5 ReMix; Sora and Riku Normal difficulty; 44 hours)

Hurray, I finished KHRCoM, again! This time I actually played Riku's story mode, which was a lot of fun. I have very mixed feelings on this one. The combat is ridiculous but kind of special because of that, but it makes most boss fights feel either too easy or too hard. Always my biggest complaint is just how repetitive the game becomes due to the virtual lack of fulfilling content in most Disney worlds, especially in Riku's route. The Disney worlds are just mindless grind boxes, providing the levels and resources necessary to handle any of the between-floors-bosses. Almost everything related to the main story is pretty entertaining, and the amount of foreshadowing in this title is kind of ridiculous (I know too much about this series for never having played too much of it). Should get around to KHII before the end of the year, but I have some other games that I want to finish first. Never planned on clearly the whole franchise before KHIII releases, but I should at least be able to clear the series before 2019 ends, which is good enough.
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    Oh hey, I actually completed a game in less than a month! I beat Steven Universe: Save the Light on Nintendo Switch. It's probably not going to impress any non-fans of the cartoon, but I think it's a cute and endearing little game.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis (GBA)

It's been a few years... okay, a decade and a half... since I last played this. Still holds up pretty well.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2018
    It took about 3 months, which is an extremely long time for me to pick at a game before finishing it, but I finally completed Octopath Traveler (Switch) today. I enjoyed it the most at the difficulty spikes at the start of chapters 2 and 4, but the last half of the game dragged. Even with Evasive Maneuvers on, the dungeons were a bore. I know it's a JRPG thing to ruin a game's pace with long dungeons by the end, and at least it let me reduce the encounter rate so it wasn't too bad, but this is why I don't have the patience for more than a couple long JRPGs each year. And the few non-JRPG fans I know who played this all quit midway through for that reason.

I did like most of the stories, though, and the combat and job systems were fun. It just would have been more fun as a 40 hour game.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Dragon Quest IV - DS

i know it's been a really slow year for my games but at least I beat something :D
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • crazyguycrazyguy Full Members
    Divinity Original Sin 2 (PS4)
    Probably one of the lesser known games out there but definitely one of the best, especially with if you have a couch co-op partner.
    Dragon Quest IV - DS

i know it's been a really slow year for my games but at least I beat something :D

Oh, hey! You're still around! Good to see you. Just to make sure, I didn't miss you earlier this year, right?
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Nope thats the first game I've beaten all year ... I'm having a ... rough year for various reasons
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    Nope thats the first game I've beaten all year ... I'm having a ... rough year for various reasons

I am sorry to hear that. I hope everything gets better soon.
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Nayuta no Kiseki (PSP) - Really excellent combat, incredibly mediocre story. Nonetheless, the gameplay is so good that it’s a shame the west missed out on this PSP gem.
    Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia (Android) - Est. 300 hours - Arc 1 Complete

Completely pulling this completion time out of my butt, but I bet that I average an hour a day and the game came out 302 days ago. I occasionally skip a day or two, but then I usually make it up on grind days and crunch days, so 300 may be a conservative estimate. In case anyone wondered why I was not posting handheld games this year, this is the number one excuse. HUGE time sink that I flat out consider it to be like playing a MMO. The game format is fairly simple, but the challenge is pretty rewarded. So far, there are 77 characters available, and only a handful really overlap. Unlike other gacha games, this one does not involve character draws. Instead, one of the in-game currencies is used to draw for weapons for the characters. Dissidia's simple Brave/HP mechanic is used, but the battle system is more based on FFX's CTB. Like NT for consoles, the characters are predominantly in character, though there is a bit of a "too many cooks" feel to the way cutscenes are handled. Keeping up with the game is surprisingly difficult, since events are seemingly always happening. Nevertheless, I have never succumb to spending any real world money on the game and am still largely able to keep up with everything but the most ridiculous of in-game challenge maps. My best character has shifted a bit. It started out as Cloud due to a cross-promotional item with NT, but he eventually lagged. I used a variety of characters for a few months before settling into Lightning back in June. Just recently, Terra has emerged on top, but Cloud made a surprise comeback just today. Obviously, the game mostly draws from major heroes and antagonists, but some odd ducks have slipped in line FFVIII's Disciplinary Committee and FFCC Crystal Bearer's Layle.

P.S.: Do not play this game. This is not an endorsement. I know all of you already have a timesink commitment or two. No one needs another one.
    edited November 2018
    I got Civilizationed out during V, accepting that it wasn't as fun as other 4X games I was playing, and every game in the series is the same. But there's a visceral joy to building real world cities with historical tech and murdering real world leaders with human armies that the other series cannot provide, so I finally caved and bought Civilization VI (PC) when it was on sale last week. It scratched an itch. I like the district system a lot, but otherwise the game was identical enough to Civ V that it seemed like a small expansion not a new game. Which is what reviews said, so I wasn't surprised. Oddly, this makes it the most simple 4X game I've played in many years now that expansions complicated the other "simple" ones I play.

I won with a religious victory because it was new and I accidentally ended up making more faith than I knew what to do with. Also, it was faster than murdering everyone. I played on the default difficulty and didn't encounter anything close to a challenge.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Just finished Pokemon Let's Go, Eevee! (Switch). Unquestionably the easiest pokemon game ever made, and that's saying something. It became apparent early on that it was going to be ridiculously easy so I just stuck with using Eevee for 99% of the time. Eevee was able to easily sweep all of the Elite 4 and the champion. Really hope this is a one off and not a sign of things to come.

The game does have some good points. The visuals are great, and its cute as all hell, but it's definitely a baby's first RPG sort of game.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    Moonlighter (PC) was a quick-paced little thing. Given how basic it is, being relatively fast and short worked in its favor, and the shopkeep aspect worked well to break up the dungeon crawling. It was a fun indie game but not a lot going on to make it great or special.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Clix wrote: »
    P.S.: Do not play this game. This is not an endorsement. I know all of you already have a timesink commitment or two. No one needs another one.
    I'll say, Tales of the Rays already destroys my time on the mobile front alongside Wild Arms: Million Memories, I don't need more.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited December 2018
    I/O (PC) - This was an older visual novel cyberpunk mystery that I was drawn to to try and find something to get me out of my funk right now. I/O started off pretty strong, its got a Persona 2 aesthetic to it that drew me in, and I was really interested with the set up portion of the game during routes A and B. Unfortunately, Routes C and D are kind of a let down, in that they suffer from telling the same events from a different perspective, but that perspective doesn't really warrant the read. Once you read one of them, the basic overall story is actually complete, and from there its just about illuminating things clearer, which kind of sucks because I understood most of what was going on pretty easily because of the details in the story. The production values are pretty low here unfortunately, and it feels like they were spent after the first two routes, resulting in an overabundance of bald men and repeated background stills. Another big problem I had with the game was that it was constantly beating the reader over the head by begging the question, over and over again, for literally the entire read, but it got exponentially worse around the halfway mark. It actively takes away from the mystery when you're sick and tired of reading the same questions asked again and again. The payoff to the mystery really wasn't here either, its pretty much what you'd expect, where I guess they were hoping you'd be impressed with how they put the whole thing together. Although I came away unsatisfied, it was still okay, close to what I've been in the mood to play but not quite there.
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Va-11 Hall-a (Vita) - The Cyberpunk Bartending Action game was just what I needed right now. I played this on PC last year and didn't manage to finish, but it fit perfectly on the Vita. A slice of life game with a story that resonated with me right now and I loved how the bartending added just enough "action" to keep it engaging. Now I totally can't wait for the sequel.
    The Legend of Zelda(switch via the nes console)

What a throwback it was, it was a lot harder than I remember (the knight and wizrobe ouch!) , but I finish it without dying :)
    sig.gif
    edited December 2018
    While I haven't gotten all of the Secret Reports, I did do Another Day and A New Day, so I'll consider The World Ends with You: Final Remix (Nintendo Switch) finished, I do intend to get the reports at the bare minimum before I put the game down.

The way the game drops the ball with Joy-Con controls is hard to ignore, but it's still a fantastic game on the handheld. I still adore this game and I really hope we get that strongly teased sequel.
    Bravely second...

Mega man(PC) via Mega Man Legacy Collection
    well for the first time, I manage to beat it without continue :) I was lucky with some life drop, but it was my best run ever!
    sig.gif
  • Sam WachterSam Wachter RPGamer Staff
    Likely my last game of the year completed, but I finished the main plotline of Stardew Valley (PS Vita). I built the community centre and it took me 70 hours! But I still love this game so it is fine.
    edited December 2018
    While I'll try to complete one more game that's close, I also finished Dragon Quest for Android.

Years ago, I had hoped we would get that Dragon Quest I-III for Wii that was released in Japan. I also hoped for a Virtual Console release of these days, but that never came to pass. I don't like to game on my phone barring Pokemon Go, but I thought I may as well get it over with. DQ is a simple enough game to play on a phone.
    Bravely second...

While I'll try to complete one more game that's close, I also finished Dragon Quest for Android.

Years ago, I had hoped we would get that Dragon Quest I-III for Wii that was released in Japan. I also hoped for a Virtual Console release of these days, but that never came to pass. I don't like to game on my phone barring Pokemon Go, but I thought I may as well get it over with. DQ is a simple enough game to play on a phone.

I understand. My phone is the last place that I want to play a video game port, but I plan to suck it in one day in order to play the best available versions of DQI-IV in English.
    Likely my last game of the year completed, but I finished the main plotline of Stardew Valley (PS Vita). I built the community centre and it took me 70 hours! But I still love this game so it is fine.

Indeed, that such a great game, I put around 100 hours into it and I could put as much anytime!
    sig.gif
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    Disappointed in the quantity of what I finished this year, but multiple long games I'm still working on (Breath of the Wild, Yakuza 0) and a drastic reduction in gaming time due to higher work requirements as well as having a new infant at home left me with a much shorter list than normal. I also replayed several games like Into the Breach and XCOM 2 instead of running through some shorter games, like I have in years past.
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    Fate/Grand Order: The Fourth Grail: The Mist City: London (Android)
    Fate/Grand Order: The Fifth Grail: North American Myth War: E Pluribus Unum (Android)
    Fate/Grand Order: The Sixth Grail: Divine Realm of the Round Table: Camelot (Android)
    Fate/Grand Order: The Seventh Grail: Absolute Demoic Front: Babylonia (Android)
    Fate/Grand Order: The Final Grail: The Grand Temple of Time: Solomon (Android)
    Fate/Grand Order: Event: Saber Wars - The Caliburn Awakens (Android)
    Fate/Grand Order: Event: the Garden of sinners/the Garden of Order (Android)
    Fate/Grand Order: Event: Fate/Accel Zero Order (Android)
    Fate/Grand Order: Event: The Demonic Capital: Rashomon (Android)
    Fate/Grand Order: Event: The Great Tale of Demons: Onigashima (Android)
    Fate/Grand Order: Event: Magical Girl Cruise - Prisma Codes (Android)
    Fate/Grand Order: Event: Halloween Comback! Super Ghouls 'n Pumpkins - The Seeds of Adventure (Android)
    Fate/Grand Order: Event: The Little Santa Alter - Christmas 2018 (Android)

So, as you can see, this year had a huge bent towards F/GO for me. I absolutely loved this game. Many of the events and story-lines really grasped me, but there were just as many that had all but repulsed me as well. Those events I didn't finish, though there are a handful I just wasn't good enough to finish. There were some really good challenges and it is a shame I didn't defeat them. I did manage to get through the "Final" story in season one. I can call that good. I still think I'm going to play this going into the new year, but I may not be as serious about it. There's lots of games and stuff I have been neglecting and I need to give those their fair share as well.

Still, this game really scratched some itches of mind and I do not regret my time here.
    Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch) - 67 hours

I completed the World of Light story mode and every character's individualized Classic Mode, so I am calling this done. So far, no characters have emerged as a main this time, but the future DLC characters may change that. Originally, I was going to try to complete all of the challenges again, but I don't want to burnout like I did for Sm4sh.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    Thank you Clix, for keeping up with the list as you have all year. I appreciate the effort you put into it. Its a pleasure to be able to read and see everyone's impressions of whats good enough to finish.

I neglected to mention beating Root Double: Before Crime * After Days (PC) much earlier in the year. Though I didn't beat much this year, it was a fine game similar to the Zero Escape series that was definitely in my top 5 for the year.