If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGamer's Best of 2017 Awards

MacstormMacstorm Ysy St.Administrators
It is awards time! Buckle up. And these aren't late, like a wizard they are right on time.

Awards
"The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
Twitter @FinalMacstorm
«13

Comments

  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2018
    23p1if.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

    Joking (partly) aside, great to see a wide range of RPGs represented here.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Wheels wrote: »

    Joking (partly) aside, great to see a wide range of RPGs represented here.

    Hey, at least Zelda got some mentions. My favorite, Yakuza 0, got completely shut out. Just a crazy year for RPGs.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    jscarpe wrote: »
    Wheels wrote: »

    Joking (partly) aside, great to see a wide range of RPGs represented here.

    Hey, at least Zelda got some mentions. My favorite, Yakuza 0, got completely shut out. Just a crazy year for RPGs.

    Yeah poor Yakuza 0 deserved more love, at least the series has a brighter localization future now!
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Wheels wrote: »
    jscarpe wrote: »
    Wheels wrote: »

    Joking (partly) aside, great to see a wide range of RPGs represented here.

    Hey, at least Zelda got some mentions. My favorite, Yakuza 0, got completely shut out. Just a crazy year for RPGs.

    Yeah poor Yakuza 0 deserved more love, at least the series has a brighter localization future now!

    And maybe Yakuza 6 won't be as swamped by other releases this year. I mean, the cat cafe simulator alone could probably be my GotY this year :P
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    jscarpe wrote: »
    Wheels wrote: »
    jscarpe wrote: »
    Wheels wrote: »

    Joking (partly) aside, great to see a wide range of RPGs represented here.

    Hey, at least Zelda got some mentions. My favorite, Yakuza 0, got completely shut out. Just a crazy year for RPGs.

    Yeah poor Yakuza 0 deserved more love, at least the series has a brighter localization future now!

    And maybe Yakuza 6 won't be as swamped by other releases this year. I mean, the cat cafe simulator alone could probably be my GotY this year :P

    Monster Hunter World man, EAT SLEEP MONHUN REPEAT
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    Maybe if I had gotten around to playing Breath of the Wild...sorry, Wheels! (XD)
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

    Twitter: BerryEggs

  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Maybe if I had gotten around to playing Breath of the Wild...sorry, Wheels! (XD)

    Everyone is forgiven for not playing any of the many awesome games of 2017 considering how many there were.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    I really love the awards every year. Thanks a bunch for all your efforts!!!
  • LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    edited February 2018
    I'm a little surprised Danganronpa V3 got best Non-RPG. Not that it was bad, but I do think it was the worst of the series. Largely because of the last chapter, but that's still significant.

    I'm pretty much in agreement on GOTY. I don't know anything about the third place one, but I 100% agree on Persona 5 in first place and would say second place is a toss up between Horizon Zero Dawn and Zelda. I'd probably lean toward Horizon Zero Dawn too though. Zelda beats it in terms of exploration and probably overall gameplay (not battle mechanics, for which I'd say HZD wins but gameplay as a whole), but HZD definitely wins in the story and character area.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • ScionScion RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I'm a little surprised Danganronpa V3 got best Non-RPG. Not that it was bad, but I do think it was the worst of the series. Largely because of the last chapter, but that's still significant.

    My vote for Mario Odyssey still only counts as one.

    That said, that is a rather unexpected lineup. I'll take those NieR wins though. And poor Divinity gets snubbed again.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    My non RPG vote was for SteamWorld Dig 2. Danganronpa V3 was at least better than DR2 and UDG.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    I personally LOVED the final chapter of V3. I'm really excited to see where they go next with the series - they have a lot of places that it can move and evolve to.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Which games?
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Paws wrote: »
    I personally LOVED the final chapter of V3. I'm really excited to see where they go next with the series - they have a lot of places that it can move and evolve to.

    Well, they did write themselves
    Spoiler:
    50 more titles
    to make games out of.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    smacd wrote: »
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Which games?

    Horizon got bumped up quite a bit. And Nier Automata, which I'd heard a lot of chatter about, but hadn't really considered. Though both are PS4 games and I don't have a PS4 at this point (I know Nier has a Denuvo-infected PC version, but I'll pass). I'd grab Nier on the xbone if it were available. I might also have to give Ever Oasis an actual look, since I completely passed over it before.

    Further, I'm planning to buy a Switch soon, and now I'm seriously conflicted about which game I should get with it (since I'm only planning one right away). Originally debating between Zelda and Mario Odyssey, but now Xenoblade 2 is making a compelling argument. However, I think I might go with Zelda just because the DLC is all released near as I can tell, and sounds like Xenoblade is still getting patched and both Mario and Xenoblade have a bunch of DLC down the line.

    I think the biggest complaint of Xenoblade 2 has been patched at this point (the map issue) so it is quite solid.

    I'd personally go with Zelda first, but you really can't go wrong either way.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    Macstorm wrote: »
    My non RPG vote was for SteamWorld Dig 2. Danganronpa V3 was at least better than DR2 and UDG.

    I disagree about DR2. I actually liked the direction that game took in the last chapter. UDG, of course. I didn't even bother to play that and I wasn't even considering it when I called V3 the worst. I meant worst of the 3.
    Paws wrote: »
    I personally LOVED the final chapter of V3. I'm really excited to see where they go next with the series - they have a lot of places that it can move and evolve to.

    The problem I had can be summed in something that's said in the last chapter. "This is too meta." Though even before that I didn't like the pretrial part of the chapter. I actually did like the
    Spoiler:
    return to the first trial
    at the start of that trial, but it quickly veered into craziness. The ridiculous timed rhythm game stuff, which I hated throughout the whole game, but especially in this chapter didn't help either. In fact, I'm going to go so far as to say the minigames in Danganronpa in general make the game worse rather than better. If they were more straightforward Phoenix Wright type games in the trial area they would probably be better. I can't think of a single instance where the minigame stuff adds to my enjoyment of the game except maybe the closing arguments. That's a general Danganronpa issue though. The part that's particular to V3 is that the new ones they added are the worst.
    omegabyte wrote: »
    Paws wrote: »
    I personally LOVED the final chapter of V3. I'm really excited to see where they go next with the series - they have a lot of places that it can move and evolve to.

    Well, they did write themselves
    Spoiler:
    50 more titles
    to make games out of.

    I'd really like to believe that part is noncanon. It was funny, but beyond that ...
    Spoiler:
    I'm not happy with the idea of a game I like less rewriting the canon of the first two games. They do leave open the possibility that the whole thing was a lie at the end. Besides, it's kind of weird that a discrepancy about information they had about Hope's Peak Academy took them to the conclusion it was all a show. Why would they have conflicting info about Hope's Peak Academy if it was all fake anyway? Because they wanted them to learn it was a show? That's possible, but it doesn't really add up well

    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited February 2018
    Wheels wrote: »
    I think the biggest complaint of Xenoblade 2 has been patched at this point (the map issue) so it is quite solid.

    no the biggest complaint is the stupid drop rate of rare blades especially for a certain one. I quit the game because after spending 20 hours and over a thousand cores with max luck and max idea stats and not getting it.

    there is no reason i should be 280 hours in and cant 100% the game due to a poorly implemented gatcha system. Its sad because that is the only part of the game i dont like.

  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Wheels wrote: »
    I think the biggest complaint of Xenoblade 2 has been patched at this point (the map issue) so it is quite solid.

    no the biggest complaint is the stupid drop rate of rare blades especially for a certain one. I quit the game because after spending 20 hours and over a thousand cores with max luck and max idea stats and not getting it.

    there is no reason i should be 280 hours in and cant 100% the game due to a poorly implemented gatcha system. Its sad because that is the only part of the game i dont like.

    The majority of people do not care about 100%ing games, so no, the biggest complaint was the map issue (X opening the world map instead of the are you're in) and that has been fixed.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    The map was updated, but still isn't great compared to the first game. I do hate the gacha blade crap, but got past it.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Hopefully dragon quest 11 is so good it makes 2018 awards easier for those voting.
  • LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    Sure I'd love for DQ11 to be that good, but a DQ game to be not only GOTY but an unchallenged GOTY? That sounds more ominous for the quality of other games this year than purely optimistic about DQ. Not that I'm really aware of any other releases this year that I'm extremely excited about (at least in terms of RPGs).
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    Well, the RPGamer staff don't seem to agree, judging by the historical data, and neither do I. While DQ games seem to frequently make runner up, DQVIII was the only one the actually won RPG of the year. That's also the only one I would consider for that prize. Partially because I think it's the best in the series and partially because I don't recall any other strong contenders in that year. I do hope DQXI is at least as good as DQVIII.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2018
    DQ5 DS and DQ9 both ended up in the top three RPGs of the year. DQ5 lost to Demon's Souls and Dragon Age Origins, which many staff members considered two of the best games in a decade when they came out. We have nothing against Dragon Quest. The repeated success of the Trails games in our awards shows that most staff members still have a strong preference for traditional JRPGs.

    I was surprised the staff disliked Andromeda so much. BioWare made Mass Effect less of a straightforward shooter and more of an actual RPG, with the result that only two RPGamer staff members even finished it. I personally thought it was the best Mass Effect since Mass Effect 2, possibly better. Contrarywise, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which to me has many of the same open world RPG pros and cons as Andromeda, was popular enough with staff to do well in the awards despite coming out at the end of the year. I'm still playing XC2 and find it to be slow and unrewarding whereas Andromeda had a quicker pace and made me feel like the optional quests mattered. I'm interested in what someone who played both, quit Andromeda, and finished and enjoyed XC2 sees as why XC2 was worth finishing while Andromeda was a slog.

    Come to think of it, Breath of a Wild is in a similar boat. Zelda became more of an RPG, and less liked by RPGamer staff than past games in the series. For me, it's the best 3D Zelda since Ocarina. It came in 4th overall, so we did score it highly as a group, but the score was low for a Zelda game.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    I don't think I implied you had a problem with DQ. In fact I mentioned that the others typically made top 3. Just stating that it's not always GOTY and probably never an unchallenged GOTY. As for Zelda, it has indeed become more RPG like, which is why I probably like it best in the series. I hate Ocarina of Time though and haven't bothered with most 3D Zelda games. In BOTW I've finally found one that meets up to and even possibly exceeds the quality of the 2D Zeldas.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    7thCircle wrote: »
    I'm interested in what someone who played both, quit Andromeda, and finished and enjoyed XC2 sees as why XC2 was worth finishing while Andromeda was a slog.

    Ooh I've been paged. The new Mako was a slog to ride, planets were boring to explore, at least early on, and combat never has been something that I love in Mass Effect games. This didn't change that.

    Xenoblade 2 on the other hand made combat better than the prior two games in the series, had a great cast of characters, and was just more of what I was looking for.

    This is from someone who loves Xenoblade, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3, but doesn't like Xenoblade X and isn't a huge fan of the first Mass Effect outside of Wrex.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
Sign In or Register to comment.