If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGamer's Best of 2017 Awards

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited February 2018
    Just off the top of my head for 2018, dragon quest 11, ni no Kuni 2, yakuza, ocotopath traveler, monster hunter, and then I’m sure Nintendo will have something in the fall/winter maybe a fire emblem. Pretty decent lineup, but hard to compare with 2017.
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    I see RPGamer is still happily married to Persona after all these years; congrats, lol.

Anyway, I don't know why people would consider Valkyria Revolution a letdown. The whole premise sounded doomed to be a steaming pile. Seriously, between hopping from consoles to portables and back and the doomed genre hop, this property has been cursed by terrible business decisions. Hopefully VC4 puts things back on track. Otherwise, it will probably be the last nail in the coffin.

And am I the only one that likes the NieR games, but can't stand the Drakengard games?
  • LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    edited February 2018
    I don't know if the later ones are any good because the first Mass Effect killed it for me almost right away. I barely gave it a chance, but that's because the chance I did give it was so annoying and boring. I had an extreme distaste for the gameplay style. I didn't get far enough for it to matter that I wasn't captivated by the story, but they probably should have opened with a better hook if they were going to throw me so quickly into a slog with that awful gameplay... Admittedly, I hate almost all Western RPGs or Western style JRPGs.
    watcher wrote: »
    I see RPGamer is still happily married to Persona after all these years; congrats, lol.

I don't quite get this comment. Persona 3 and 4 didn't even win GOTY. They chose Valkyria Chronicles over Persona 4 and Eternal Sonata over Persona 3 (@_@).
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited February 2018
    The Valkyria Chronicles over Persona 4 vote is what caused us to redo the way we tally our awards each year. That said, we did give Persona 3 Game of the Decade despite that.

There is also the fact that all of them have scored high on our reviews.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited February 2018
    Ah. That's quite a lot of Persona love. Though it's kind of weird that Persona 3 got GOTD and Persona 4 didn't even rank. I guess you guys probably didn't want to do more than one from a series though. You did get two FFs in there. And also Valkyria Chronicles, so it seems to have beaten out Persona 4 twice.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Yeah, I can't comment on votes from before 2011 having not been here to tell them why they were wrong :P Quite pleased with how they all turned out this year, and the way we do them currently is good at ensuring that category awards doesn't just go to the games that were played by the most people :)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • oldmanbaloldmanbal Full Members
    Wheels wrote: »
    I think the biggest complaint of Xenoblade 2 has been patched at this point (the map issue) so it is quite solid.

no the biggest complaint is the stupid drop rate of rare blades especially for a certain one. I quit the game because after spending 20 hours and over a thousand cores with max luck and max idea stats and not getting it.

there is no reason i should be 280 hours in and cant 100% the game due to a poorly implemented gatcha system. Its sad because that is the only part of the game i dont like.

Just open cores with nia, no boosts, no extra luck, it's how i got my last 3 rares including 'her'
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Macstorm wrote: »
    The Valkyria Chronicles over Persona 4 vote is what caused us to redo the way we tally our awards each year. That said, we did give Persona 3 Game of the Decade despite that.

There is also the fact that all of them have scored high on our reviews.

Can't believe it's already 2018... we're going to have to do another one of these in a couple of years!
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    Persona 5 looks like a strong contender for the next GOTD, though with how rarely those come along, I'm not sure the staff would want to go for another Persona game. However, it did win GOTY in one of the strongest, if not the strongest, years of the decade. It's definitely my GOTD thus far, because I literally spent the whole decade up to 2017 in anticipation of it more than for any other game and it met my expectations. It's without question my favorite game to come along since Persona 4 last decade. The Persona games aren't necessarily my favorite of all time, but it seems that most (all?) of the games that I like as much or more than them are from the 90s.
    True, though Persona 5's win was one of the closest that we've ever had. Horizon was mere decimal points away.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • OtterFaceOtterFace Loserface Loserface Loserface sockpuppet theatreFull Members
    No surprise JRPGs round out the "Best Music" category. Western RPGs largely seem to phone in their audio.

I prefer Horizon Zero Dawn to Persona 5, but to each their own.

Kind of miffed DQ8 beat out Zodiac Age as Best Rerelease, since the turbo mode in the latter really shaved off superflous playing time, whereas DQ8 3DS's fastest battle option was still a tad slow.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    7thCircle wrote: »
    Come to think of it, Breath of a Wild is in a similar boat. Zelda became more of an RPG, and less liked by RPGamer staff than past games in the series. For me, it's the best 3D Zelda since Ocarina. It came in 4th overall, so we did score it highly as a group, but the score was low for a Zelda game.

To me it felt like less of an RPG in terms of progression, but this was all for the better as it meant there were very few places that were off limits for you to go an explore. I think it's obvious the equipment system rubbed some people the wrong way, but for me in a game centered around exploration it fit perfectly, or perhaps I've played too many Roguelikes.

Also for the record I didn't get around to playing Mass Effect sadly
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • AeramisAeramis Behind You!!!Full Members
    Was there actually a voting poll somewhere? Because I find that this list of RPG's is quite catered to the weeb's.
    Aeramis wrote: »
    Was there actually a voting poll somewhere? Because I find that this list of RPG's is quite catered to the weeb's.

Voted on by staff
    sig.gif
    Aeramis wrote: »

Happily voted on by us "weebs" on staff, thank you very much.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Wheels wrote: »
    Come to think of it, Breath of a Wild is in a similar boat. Zelda became more of an RPG, and less liked by RPGamer staff than past games in the series. For me, it's the best 3D Zelda since Ocarina. It came in 4th overall, so we did score it highly as a group, but the score was low for a Zelda game.

To me it felt like less of an RPG in terms of progression, but this was all for the better as it meant there were very few places that were off limits for you to go an explore. I think it's obvious the equipment system rubbed some people the wrong way, but for me in a game centered around exploration it fit perfectly, or perhaps I've played too many Roguelikes.

To me it felt more like an RPG partially because of the scope (more towns, people to talk to, etc.) and partly because of things like the defense stat with armor and attack stats with weapons. I guess technically it's just making those stats visible but they also have a lot more variety and customizability than a simple formula for a few armor and sword upgrades. Also, the fact that none of the progression is mandatory feels more like something you can "get away with" if you want to, than something that undermines the natural flow of progression in the game. Sure there's still a lot of leeway on order, but the natural progression is to do all the divine beasts and also to uncover the memories.
    ArtyParty wrote: »

I prefer Horizon Zero Dawn to Persona 5, but to each their own.

HZD kind of seemed like a one-hit wonder on the music front to me. I'm sure there were some other good tunes. I just can't think of any right now. Not sure if you're talking music or the game as a whole.

• OtterFaceOtterFace Loserface Loserface Loserface sockpuppet theatreFull Members
    Yeah, I agree with you about HZD's music, since Western RPGs as I've said before tend to not have as great as soundtracks as Japanese RPGs.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2018
    Persona 5 looks like a strong contender for the next GOTD, though with how rarely those come along, I'm not sure the staff would want to go for another Persona game.

That wouldn't stop us. I'd hope staff would make their GOTD rankings based on their true opinions without worrying about a feature from 10 years ago with different staff members.

The way we decide the GOTY and the way we decide the GOTD are very different. GOTD starts with staff members listing their favorites whereas GOTY is based on staff giving games an overall score. Based on the GOTY metric, The Witcher 3 has the highest score of all GOTY winners this decade. Even Bastion did better than Persona 5. But The Witcher 3 wasn't played by as many staff members and little ol' Bastion may not hold up in peoples' memories compared to recent, AAA titles, so Persona 5 might end up on more GOTD lists. I have no clue how the GOTD will turn out.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    I went back through the old GotD files today and it was a little blast from the past. Very interested to see what could happen in the next few years.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Persona 5 looks like a strong contender for the next GOTD, though with how rarely those come along, I'm not sure the staff would want to go for another Persona game.

That wouldn't stop us. I'd hope staff would make their GOTD rankings based on their true opinions without worrying about a feature from 10 years ago with different staff members.

The way we decide the GOTY and the way we decide the GOTD are very different. GOTD starts with staff members listing their favorites whereas GOTY is based on staff giving games an overall score. Based on the GOTY metric, The Witcher 3 has the highest score of all GOTY winners this decade. Even Bastion did better than Persona 5. But The Witcher 3 wasn't played by as many staff members and little ol' Bastion may not hold up in peoples' memories compared to recent, AAA titles, so Persona 5 might end up on more GOTD lists. I have no clue how the GOTD will turn out.

The Witcher 3 would be my personal best game of the decade so far. But I could see how someone could say the combat wasn’t that good.
    I could say a lot of things about Witcher 3 aren't that good. If you want to go with combat, fine, but it's more general interface issues that pervade every facet of gameplay. Maybe the story's great, but those issues prevented me from going far enough to see. Most of the issues are typical of Western RPGs though. If you like those and are used to dealing with them, I'm sure nothing seems particularly objectionable. To me, they're game killing features that make the majority of western RPGs simply unplayable to me.
    Yeah, I definitely prefer Japanese RPGs, myself, despite their issues, and have found classic Western RPGs to not nearly be as playable as classic JRPGs.
    ArtyParty wrote: »
    Yeah, I definitely prefer Japanese RPGs, myself, despite their issues, and have found classic Western RPGs to not nearly be as playable as classic JRPGs.

JRPGs always seem to go for more interesting settings and mechanics, whereas most big Western RPGs just seem to go for too much "bog standard" stuff. Yeah I'm sure Skyrim really is great, but why play that when I can wander around Xenoblade Chronicles 2's wondrous world for example?
    sig.gif
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
    I love both styles. I would take cyberpunk 2077 over any jrpg coming out though.
    edited February 2018
    I liked Horizon Zero Dawn, but I think it was helped by the fact that it went light on the RPG elements. Had it gone more in depth on RPG mechanics, they most likely would have chosen a typical western approach that would have been offputting to me. As is, the gameplay works perfectly and it stands as the exception that proves the rule for me. Basically, it played more like the recent Tomb Raider games with a bit more RPG elements.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Persona 5 looks like a strong contender for the next GOTD, though with how rarely those come along, I'm not sure the staff would want to go for another Persona game. However, it did win GOTY in one of the strongest, if not the strongest, years of the decade. It's definitely my GOTD thus far, because I literally spent the whole decade up to 2017 in anticipation of it more than for any other game and it met my expectations. It's without question my favorite game to come along since Persona 4 last decade. The Persona games aren't necessarily my favorite of all time, but it seems that most (all?) of the games that I like as much or more than them are from the 90s.

More thought goes into GotD than just "what game did you enjoy the most"? We also look at lasting appeal, influence, etc.

Personally, my lead contenders for GotD would be either Skyrim or Dark Souls. Both games have had enormous impacts on the RPG industry as a whole. You could argue that Dark Souls was really thanks to 2009's Demon's Souls, but even though I personally loved Demon's Souls to death, I have to concede that Dark Souls made From Software go mainstream and was a bigger influence overall. Skyrim, of course, is Skyrim, and people (myself including) are still playing it today. It's become the industry standard for open world RPGs.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • ScionScion RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    watcher wrote: »
    And am I the only one that likes the NieR games, but can't stand the Drakengard games?

Hardly, at this point most people only like Automata anyways. Drakengard was always an odd duck that I appreciate for all its non-gaming aspects (captivating score, interesting themes./characters, not pulling its punches in terms of the ludicrous), but the games themselves, even Drakengard 3, were always kind of bad. Both NieR games deliver on the same premise with better results.

Can't disagree with Omegabyte, either. as of this writing the only RPGs that belong on a GotD list are Skyrim, Dark Souls, The Witcher 3, and Breath of the Wild, even if the influence of The Witcher 3 is far more recent and I will always have trouble reconciling Zelda games as RPGs. I suppose it may be worth waiting to see if Breath of the Wild becomes influential in the same manner as Skyrim and The Witcher 3.

I was about to mention League of Legends, but apparently that was released in 2009 so that can be avoided.
    Ugh, I hated Dark Souls and the other Souls games, and don't think they deserve any awards.
    I agree, except for the fact that they are good and do deserve plenty of awards. The rest I agree on, though.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm