If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Chrono Trigger Released on Steam

Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing EditorRPGamer Staff
An unexpected release has arrived this week. PC RPGamers can now check out one of the most beloved RPGs in history as Chrono Trigger hits Steam.

[ Story ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    I dunno. Looks pretty to me.

DXD7HyIXUAE8OyC.jpg:large

Pretty awful.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    The world map sprites in CT always looked **** though. Why use that image?
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
    Oh there is plenty to complain about here. Try it and see for yourself.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • taliefertaliefer New Member Full Members
    i was excited when i saw this news blurb. then i went and looked at the steampage. it just looks...ugly. not sure whats wrong with it. ill wait and see if they do some patching
    Apparently even the mobile version used to look okay and this update messed it up too. Sprite stretching and whatnot that FFV suffered strikes again. Touch screen interface left in here despite not having touch controls. The same lovely plain font. It wouldn't be as bad if better looking, simpler versions didn't already exist on SNES and DS.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
    One man's "kvetching about some unimportant things" is plenty of others' "I'm not paying for minimal effort". So hey, if you are fine with this low effort release because it's Chrono Trigger, which can do no wrong, more power to you.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Apparently even the mobile version used to look okay and this update messed it up too. Sprite stretching and whatnot that FFV suffered strikes again. Touch screen interface left in here despite not having touch controls. The same lovely plain font. It wouldn't be as bad if better looking, simpler versions didn't already exist on SNES and DS.
    Ouch. That's not something that would deter me if I wished to play it (I've suffered through worse), but I know it's one for many others.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
    Having you seen the screens beyond that one small thing I posted? If this is the standard for a PC port in 2018 yeah, I'll find something to complain about.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Macstorm wrote: »
    I dunno. Looks pretty to me.

DXD7HyIXUAE8OyC.jpg:large

Pretty awful.

Wow there are literal squares surrounding him.
  • taliefertaliefer New Member Full Members
    a pc port shouldnt look worse than the original. the screenshots on the steampage just look bad. graphics arent vital to me, i still play lots of old games. but this port just looks flat out ugly.
  • DillesDilles Full Members
    edited March 2018
    People should vote with their wallet, yes. Its also good form for people to make potential buyers aware of the issues with a product in order for others to vote appropriately.

An example in this amazing port: When you are given the option of naming Crono, a Windows 98-esque pop up box displays in order to type the change. I get that some people see the naming option as a small issue, its not. The naming option is an issue that details exactly what level of difficulty in obstacles the developer/publisher were willing to deal with in order to release a port, and also the "fixes" they were willing to implement as solutions when interface blending couldn't be achieved(within their expected time frame I assume). They pretty much stepped on the pedal and steamrolled through on this one, no pun intended. This has also become a habit of Square in particular.

I think at this point the 36% steam rating for one of the best SNES RPGs speaks for itself though.
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    I voted with my wallet ages ago and they never produced anything other than ports after shoehorning Radical Dreamers into a CT sequel. I'm done supporting SE cash grabs.

Now they just port it to every system to milk the cow, but they made it clear long ago they have no interest in continuing the series.
  • OrophinOrophin New Member Full Members
    Was considering getting this since I never played the DS version with the extra content, but after seeing it's just a lazily ported version of the smartphone game that had issues of its own, I think I'll pass.
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Hm... *checks price*

1,944 yen.

I think I can actually buy the DS version used for about that much at one of the local stores. Maybe a couple hundred yen more, at the most. If I really need to play it again that much, I know how I'll be doing it.
  • SilverMouriSilverMouri Member Full Members
    To be fair this isn't the worst port of Chrono Trigger to ever exist. I remember the PS1 Verison being horrible with it's load times, but the graphics update for the IOS port are pretty ****, and unwarranted. They should of just done the DS Port to steam. Square gotten into a habit of putting out half-ass done ports to games, or just half-ass done games in general lately and expect people to just buy them anyways because of the names on the game.

Which, honestly, just give me a good remake and updated version of CT or leave it alone.
    Forsaken Muses: And then you eat the people
    Forsaken Muses: And my HP went up
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
  • EvilorEvilor Totally Not the Secret Antagonist A secret alcove in the hero's baseFull Members
    To be fair this isn't the worst port of Chrono Trigger to ever exist. I remember the PS1 Verison being horrible with it's load times, but the graphics update for the IOS port are pretty Moo, and unwarranted. They should of just done the DS Port to steam. Square gotten into a habit of putting out half-Moo done ports to games, or just half-Moo done games in general lately and expect people to just buy them anyways because of the names on the game.

Which, honestly, just give me a good remake and updated version of CT or leave it alone.
    I agree with your points, though I disagree on your point about load times. You're talking about Final Fantasy Chronicles- the 2-pack of FF IV and CT?
    For the time that came out, the load times weren't the worst I've seen, and since it was on the original Playstation, load times for lots of games were usually slow.
    Fufufufufu,
    -Evilor