If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Review - Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet

Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing EditorRPGamer Staff
edited March 2018 in Latest Updates
The latest Sword Art Online game is on the receiving end of various new things, premise, setting, and main character amongst them. Of course, new doesn't necessarily mean better.

[ Review ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• UltraKev9UltraKev9 Demi-Plane of Semi HemispheresFull Members
    I like SAO, I wouldn't call myself a fanboy by any stretch of the imagination but I'm enjoying this game. The areas are appropriately dingy, grungy and breathtaking at the same time and the combat is frantic and crazy fun. There's tons of flaws but it's not 1.5 bad. Maybe more like 2.5 bad.
  • swangtalswangtal Full Members
    UltraKev9 wrote: »
    I like SAO, I wouldn't call myself a fanboy by any stretch of the imagination but I'm enjoying this game. The areas are appropriately dingy, grungy and breathtaking at the same time and the combat is frantic and crazy fun. There's tons of flaws but it's not 1.5 bad. Maybe more like 2.5 bad.
    Feels like 2.5 and 1.5 wouldn’t really have any difference. XD
    I do enjiy watching people suffer through it on LPs, but I probably wouldn’t to play this myself.
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    It depends on the reviewer, but for me a 2.5 is "disappointing, but I could find something to enjoy about it." A 1.5 is "Pity me, for I had to survive this." A 1... I haven't ever given a 1, mainly because the few games that deserved it never got finished. Complete wastes of disc-space.
  • UltraKev9UltraKev9 Demi-Plane of Semi HemispheresFull Members
    It depends on the reviewer, but for me a 2.5 is "disappointing, but I could find something to enjoy about it." A 1.5 is "Pity me, for I had to survive this." A 1... I haven't ever given a 1, mainly because the few games that deserved it never got finished. Complete wastes of disc-space.

There's disappointing aspects, don't get me wrong. It's "old school MMORPG" annoying to sift through stats on gear trying to find stuff that's better than what you're using currently. After a one hour run and a full load of gear afterwards it can easily take 20-30 minutes to go through all the loot that's picked up. Then you have to make trips to the item storage, bank, stat distribution for characters, two because you have ArFA-sys, two character loadouts to tweak, etc. At least the fast travel options are gracious. I don't use them too often since I like the "EQ" large zones with plenty to shoot at on your way to your destination. I'm older now and on the fence about running the same dungeon seven to ten times to get a single drop from a single enemy just to upgrade weapons, though. I like it because at least you're gaining other stuff in the process. I hate it because it unnecessarily pads the game length. I also hate it because I have a stack of games to get to that's nearly as tall as the ceiling but at least I'm getting my money's worth. New Game+ I understand, you can make it so all the enemies are max level. This at least makes the game dangerous as right now the challenge can seem underwhelming and the only thing that makes it take time are the bullet sponge enemies.