If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2019 Completed Games List

Comments

• 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    Far Cry 5 (PS4) confirmed that gameplay trumps story for me. Playing it right after AC Odyssey, I couldn't help noticing how great the writing, characters, and story were, but there weren't enough hooks in the open world to keep me engaged. I left a lot of optional content undone just because I didn't care. I loved the evisceration of rural US culture, but even that and the solid writing wasn't enough to keep me talking to every NPC with a side quest by the 2nd region I tackled. By the 3rd region I was only doing outposts and main story quests.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • Sam WachterSam Wachter RPGamer Staff
    Didn't even know we were doing this! Here we go!

Minit (PS4)
    Dead Space 2 (360)
    Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu! (Switch)
    Arcade Spirits (Steam)
    Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (PSP)
    Monster Loves You! (Steam)
    Kathy Rain: A Detective is Born (Steam)
    Assassin's Creed Odyssey (PS4)
    Night in the Woods (PS4)

Thank you!
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    edited February 28
    surprise, yeah I liked the list so much that I did take over :)

Piczle Lines DX (switch)

a nice puzzle game.
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited February 28
    So okay, finally.
    Kingdom Hearts III (PS4)

I can say FUN romp, tho still no real happy ending for our main trio; not to mention you get major story dumps near the end, and if you didn't play DDD and BBS, and AT LEAST watched some videos on KH: Chi Unchained, you will be lost as heck. (Heck, it is proly a good idea to play though all the games if you can.) I'm not denying the game has some flaws. (I am actually playing Unchained for the story on my phone, and the international version is quite a bit behind, but since I kept up with the translations, I wasn't too off on that.) I had a good time tho was upset near the end for..well, if you play you'll see. Flawed or not, if you're a KH fan, and kept track of all the games, you'll be fine and have a really good time.

Just for anyone playing this, make sure you put aside a good while (like a whole day) for the ending; major cs's. LOTS of them. Took me two days of playing to get though the ending b/c of that. (RL stuff got in the way, so took me longer than I wanted) Thank heaven for save points.

Oh and did you know there will be DLC, basically a downloadable Final Mix later? So yeah, once that hits, I'll prolly revisit, since that might help with some of the story flaws, at least. Been saving some PSN gift cards for that.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
    Donut County (PS4)
    Phantasy Star (Sega Ages Edition) (Switch)

Donut County was delightful and got me out of a mood, and Phantasy Star... it has been a stupid childhood dream to beat that game. Then I did it. I feel like such a badass beating such a hard game... then I remember it's the Sega Ages edition and it killed the annoying encounter rate by a lot. WHATEVER I BEAT IT.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited March 1
    Super Robot Wars V (PS4) - A carryover from 2017 that I put down for whatever reason with only 10 stages remaining. Decided to finish them up since I'm in the mood to play another one.

This is probably my favorite Super Robot Wars that I've played, with my only real complaint being that it was a little too easy. I had a ton of powerful units during my playthrough. The ARX-8, Black Selena, and Vilkiss were generally my strongest for the majority of the playthrough, with the Shin Getter and Mazin Emperor coming in strong during the later stages. The Nadesico and Yamato were amazing battleships, its insane how powerful they were compared to the others available. My weakest characters (that I actually deployed) were sadly Amuro and the Zambot 3, I was surprised how how weak Amuro felt this in this game. In the last couple stages I started using the Strike Freedom and Destiny Gundam and was pleasantly surprised how much damage and evasion the Strike Freedom could put out from impressive ranges, wish I had used it more earlier on. Overall this was a fantastic game from a fantastic year in gaming, I'm really glad I played it and the Asian-English, while very rough, is at least understandable. Excited to start up X soon.
    edited March 1
    WHATEVER I BEAT IT.

LOL well done, I guess you did need some grinding... ok a lot, but I remember that I did play that game way too much when I was young on the Sega Master system, and it was not that hard!

sig.gif
    edited March 10
    I ordered the physical release of West of Loathing (Switch) as an In Memory of Macstorm purchase, since it was the last game he recommended online and I did play about one indie title per year on his recommendation. It's a hilarious game, though I'd have liked it more if it had no combat.

And since I had no plans this weekend and wasn't in a game, I played a game of Civilization VI (PC). Aborted my first attempt quickly when I started on the edge of a large desert and a nearby civ expanded to the only fertile place remotely close to me. Not feeling that. Then my 2nd attempt was a cakewalk. The AI mostly left me alone and I won with a cultural victory 10 turns before I'd have won with a science victory. Never even conquered a city or worried much with religion.

And to update an earlier game, after a mess of attempts I finally cleared Act 4 of Slay the Spire. The game ends at Act 3, with the 4th act being an impossible bonus fight. Did it with Silent using a deck with a lot of card drawing, and 4 copies of the card that triples poison. Haven't gotten close in any other attempt, and I figure the only way to win with Ironclad would be a similar deck with multiple copes of the strength-doubling card. No clue how Defect can beat Act 4. I'm pretty bad with him anyway.
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited March 11
    I finished Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (3DS), just in time for Mar10 Day! I think I still prefer Bowser's Inside Story, but Dream Team is still a cute and fun game. I especially like all the attention given to Luigi.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Another Kingdom Hearts title down: Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep Final Mix (PS4). That's all the games in Kingdom Hearts 1.5 +2.5 ReMIX (PS4) completed! Just gotta watch the cutscenes for Re:Coded and then i can move on to Dream Drop Distance.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    Knocked out Kirby's Adventure (Wii) via the Kirby 25th Anniversary Collection. Still love this game though god I forgot how rough the final three battles are in this one.
    I beat another Dragon Quest! I just finished Dragon Quest II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line (Android). It's not a bad little game, though I had a hard time remembering where any of the locations were on the map.
    Bravely second...

I beat another Dragon Quest! I just finished Dragon Quest II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line (Android). It's not a bad little game, though I had a hard time remembering where any of the locations were on the map.

Is that the same as the Dragon Quest/Warrior II on the nes?
    sig.gif
    Yes, it's the same as DW/DQII on the NES. I guess square gave it an elaborate subtitle for the mobile version. :P
    Bravely second...

edited March 20
    Under One Wing (PC) - Finished Kazusa's route.

A cute little VN here centering around airplanes, and much shorter than the epics I've been playing/working on currently. Initially it lost my interest as the Common Route is pretty boring, but after a sufficient break and getting to the route split it was invigorating enough to get though. Visuals here are absolutely stellar, the color saturation is captivating and the little things from the clicking noise on the buttons to the interface and font all mesh together really well. One thing that was odd about this title is that even though there are multiple heroines to choose from, there is an extreme bias towards Kazusa, who isn't even the poster child character, which is rather off putting. Generally in this type of game you spend a little time with each character before making a choice, but in UOW you spent 90% of the Common Route with Kazusa, so it feels as very illogical to even instigate the other paths. I'm not sure if I'll go back for the others or not as the overall read was just okay. Its one of those hold over games to tide you over until the next big one, but I'm mainly working on older games right now so who knows.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    Tecmo Bowl (NES-NSO) A classic that is still fun for what it is. Not nearly as good as the Genesis version of the sequel, but still gave me the nostalgia hits I was looking for.
    London Detective Mysteria (Vita) -- Completed Herlock's route and now I am taking a small break before I dig into it again.
    Starlink: Battle for Atlas (Switch)

that was fun, even if it can get a bit repetitive, there was enough change to let me have fun the whole way though.
    sig.gif
    Zelda II : the Adventure of Link(NES-NSO)
    sig.gif
    edited March 26
    Super Robot Wars X (PS4)

Another awesome SRPG right here. Looking at X compared to V, I think I had more fun with the gameplay overall. The Expert Mode makes a huge difference in enjoyment for me, even if the difficulty wasn't a huge step up from V, its still a big improvement considering you don't have fulfill some of the silly and annoying SR Point requirements that were used as the barometer in V. Also, there were just plain way more units I was interested in using in X, and I often found myself having difficulty choosing who to field past the halfway mark. Units like Lelouch and the Geass crew, the Aura Battlers, the Buddies, and the much more likeable Xelguard compared to Vangray accompanied the usual crew of Gundams and Supers which I think were more fun overall when you consider things like Lelouch's Tactical Command and the Dogmas that spiced things up. Where X faltered a little was the story, which was nowhere near as good as the atmosphere that V captured while following the Yamato's journey. Its interesting because I think objectively I'll remember V a little more fondly due to the introduction of its systems and the storytelling. But X was just a ton of fun to play because of minor things it polished up, I never felt like I was getting burnt out which is incredibly rare for me with long SRPGs. Already ordered T and will likely start on that sooner rather than later.
    Ice Climber(via Nintendo Switch Online)(switch)

well without the save anywhere I would have not the patience to do all the 32 mountains of that game and all that you receive for doing so, nothing you just start with the first stage again...
    sig.gif
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited March 31
    Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance HD (PS4), as part of the Kingdom Hearts 2.8 collection. That's it, guys! I did it - all that's left is to watch the cutscenes for Xi, and I can finally move on to Kingdom Hearts 3.

Edit: Okay, I was wrong. Let's add Kingdom Hearts 0.2: Birth By Sleep - A fragmentary passage - (PS4) to the list too. I thought this was just a movie but it turns out it's actually a little 3-hour game, kind of a demo for KH3 since it appears to be using the same engine.

Might as well add Kingdom Hearts II.8 HD Final Chapter Prologue (PS4) too, since both of those were part of that compilation, which is now finished.
    The Council (PC) was interesting. I can't say I understood all the puzzles I solved, and I failed the game's most important puzzle because I got confused by an upside-down image, which annoys me because I don't think that was intentional.

The voice acting had an acclimation period for me, at times the writing just wasn't up to the task, and the need for regular Confrontations made for some odd character interactions that I didn't feel were all explained well, but overall I enjoyed the intrigue and all the little secrets I did discover. I feel like I handled the choices well throughout, I got a good ending, and overall I was satisfied with the game and the story.
    That's it, guys! I did it I can finally move on to Kingdom Hearts 3.

Great job! it is a Kingdom Hearts year for you :)

sig.gif
    StarTropics (via Nintendo Switch Online)

I remember I was able to beat it without dying when I was young, it is no longer the case.

Like usual, all NES game that I play again are a lot harder than I remember them, of course back then I did not have many game and I did play each game a lot! It was fun to go back and beat that good old game!
    sig.gif
    Cat Quest (Switch)

A fun little Action RPG that love to do cat punt! :)
    sig.gif
    edited April 19
    Zanki Zero: Last Beginning (PS4) - So addicting it ended up being the first game I finished between 3 others currently being worked on.

ZZ ended up being way more enjoyable than I was expecting going on. Usually a game with so many different little systems like this ends up just being annoying more than anything else, but I actually had a blast with the game. Typically its difficult for a game to hold my attention so steadily from start to finish, but with ZZ I always wanted to play just a little more. The Danganronpa-esque storyline coupled with the fantastic pacing and surprisingly robust exploration work together beautifully to create a fantastically paced story. I was also impressed with the puzzles they implemented in the game, even if a few of them were poorly explained, the lions share of them were much more interesting and often required a bit more thinking than your standard fare in this department. If I had any gripes, it would be that the music was rather forgettable and didn't do much to enhance anything, which with all my VN playing recently Ive come to find is more and more crucial when it comes to enhancing the emotion in the events/writing. Its also impressive how the grid based dungeon crawling had you feel more like you were exploring an actual place, even when it comes to stuff like Etrian Odyssey or Demon Gaze or something, you always get the distinct impression that you're in a confined box. I'd love to see more attempts at hybrid VN's like this one, or even using some of the assests elsewhere, as this was such a great "first try" for such an experimental title. Its a shame it will probably fly heavily under the radar due this niche and some of the dark humor. Really glad I took the chance on it though.
    Owlboy (switch)

the concept was really interesting, but the game a bit too easy and short, around 10 hours.
    sig.gif
    At long last, my Kingdom Hearts marathon has come to an end. Kingdom Hearts III (PS4) is finished. Got the secret ending, which was really weird.

I have to say, they really stepped up their game with the disney worlds this time around. Absolutely phenomenal, definitely what I've wanted to see for so, so long. Some were notably better than others. Arendelle and Corona both relied too heavily on the stories of the movies they were based on, to the point both of them actually duplicated scenes from their movies almost shot for shot. And San Fransokyo could have been so much better - they had the foundation for an awesome new story in that world but the design they set up for the world was way too open for them to craft a good story in it.

Definitely the best world was Toy Box. Brilliantly designed and written. Olympus was also surprisingly good, if only because it finally wrapped up the events of the movie that were split into four separate games (an amazing feat in and of itself.) Monstropolis also did a great job with creating a new story in its world, and the Caribbean was just fun as hell to explore.

Anyways, I can't believe I managed to clear all of those games in just about 3 months. Been a hell of a ride.
  • IzlimakIzlimak New Member Full Members
    Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet – PC

Hidden object game with puzzles thrown in. Some of the puzzles have been used elsewhere. The only difference to separate this from any other hidden object game I’ve played was using those objects to link to suspects and the main crime (much like the other Sherlock Holes games). Tried following the story to begin with but became uninterested very quickly. Basic animations, no voice acting, minimalistic music. As with these type of games, it’s not very long. I think the only reason I finished this game was the fact that it was so short. I could only recommend this game if you like hidden object games and this is under a dollar in price.

3/10