If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2019 Completed Games List

13»

Comments

• Sam WachterSam Wachter RPGamer Staff
    Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists: Ateliers of the New World (PS4) -- thoughts to come in our review.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Mega Man 2 (via Mega Man Legacy Collection) (PC)

always fun to go back to good old Mega Man!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • Ryan McCarthyRyan McCarthy RPGamer Staff
    Here's what I've finished so far:

Kingdom Hearts III
    Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage(Reignited Trilogy ver.)
    Mafia III
    Heroes Trials
    Devil May Cry 5

I played all of these on the PS4.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    I was bored earlier this month and played Into the Breach (PC) a couple times. I'm not really a fan and don't even remember why I picked it up. I should have played FTL instead.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • KrullKrull Full Members
    Can anyone play along? I finally knocked off Persona 3 Portable on the PSP last weekend - it's been pretty much my main game since February, and swallowed up more than 100 hours. Fantastic game, which I'm sure is news to absolutely nobody on this site.

Other than that, I beat Steven Universe: Attack the Light on iOS. It was very easy, very short (perhaps 3hrs in bitesize chunks?), but also very charming, with a neat take on the Mario RPG battle system. It made a nice contrast to the time demon that was P3P.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited May 13
    The Great Ace Attorney (3DS) - Quite the interesting game here! Having been so long since Spirit of Justice released, I was excited to finally play another one and man Ive got a lot of thoughts on it.

After finishing, I can see some reasons why the game wasn't received too well in Japan. For starters, the sheer amount of insults and negativity thrown towards the Japanese isn't too far removed from a Heel in wrestling insulting the homecrowd, and I can see why this might have struck a nerve given its not too uncommon throughout the story. Furthermore, it does not address all the plot points throughout the story, clearly setting things up for a sequel, which is fair, but not typical for the series. For gameplay, the gimmick of the "Closing Arguement" really gets on my nerves because it literally happens at the beginning of every trial. Its made out to be something serious and a do or die moment, but because of its execution, its not funny and offers 0 tension, leading me to roll my eyes every time it came around. Finally, I feel like this was one of the weaker final cases in the series. It doesn't particularly feel epic, and its probably one of the few times I can think of where the final case just wasn't as compelling as I imagined it could be.

Looking at the good, however, there's a lot here to enjoy. Right off the bat, this game for me is the easily the most funny game in the series. Not only that, but the humor is often used as misdirection earlier in the game which is an effective way to play with the how a mystery might pan out. I loved Sherlock Holmes' Theatre of Logic, it was a good new gimmick that gets you involved while simultaneously being absolutely hysterical. Wish it could have been incorporated more than it was. Looking at the cast of characters, many of them were very compelling. In particular, the defendant in case 3 and the one of case 5 are especially memorable, with one of them bringing near Ema Skye levels of charm. The new Prosecutor is also a fairly likable character that manages to bring his own sense of strength and humor, while maintaining a grounded sense of reason and neutrality.

As a whole, this game for me was quite the mixed bag, and depending on what kind of mood you're in, you could come away either loving or it or being disappointed. For me, this one just doesn't compare to better games in the series like AAI2 or AA3, but its still fairly decent and I liked it a lot more than the most recent Spirit of Justice.
    Krull wrote: »
    Can anyone play along?

of course :)
    sig.gif
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    I'll consider Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu! (Switch) finished, although I'll be playing for a bit longer. Just to get 152 pokemon in the Pokedex. It's not quite all of them, as I'm not paying $50 for a Mew. After all, I have 2 or 3 Mew in the main games.

It's an adorable game to be sure, and quite pretty looking, too! It's nice to revisit Kanto, and neat to see what changes were made to this game compare to the original or Fire Red/Leaf Green.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited May 12
    World End Syndrome (PS4)

Picked this one up recently as it looked like it could have been the kind of hidden gem that goes unnoticed by many. This was an odd mixture of sim-adventure coupled with your standard VN, but I don't think the gameplay mechanics did them any favors. The game is structured that you have a fairly free choice of how you spend your time and chancing upon the various characters as you discover their hangouts and stuff across town. It starts off great, truth be told, because you usually don't get such a complex level of choices in the VNs I've been playing. Unfortunately, the system's major unforgivable flaw is that, seemingly, at least 2 out of the 5 heroines appear to be locked to the player until they beat the game a few times. This means that if you're like me, and happen to aim for those routes first, you will suffer a great deal of lost hours on a wasted ending and have to repeat your playthrough. When you give a player freedom of choice to this degree, your system should absolutely not have an enforced play order like this as it kills the agency of your choices, and would ultimately be better served as a standard VN with straightforward options to guide you along a path until you complete however many the game asks before allowing you to do the other ones. There are other problems with WES on a technical level too, as you can't save whenever you please like most modern VNs, instead having to fight the PS4's clunky save system. Normally I don't need to make too many files in VNs, but I was constantly thinking how much time I could have saved if this had the modern saving system on most PC VNs today.

While the above might be rather scathing, I actually did have a lot of fun with World End Syndrome's story once I was able to play some of the routes. For all the adventure structure's faults, many of the minor events that happen are fairly consistent in their telling and do a good job at providing very minor clues to set up for intrigue, which is basically the game's selling point. The little sound effects that play when something out of the ordinary or mysterious happens are a good compliment and the "follow the breadcrumbs" approach works here pretty well, even if the overall BGM was fairly weak compared to what I've been playing. The characters themselves don't give you much to work with starting out, which might be tough to get people going, but you learn a fair bit about each of them as you play, peeling back a new layer to the onion of the strange happenings in Mihate town as you go. You're always left with something exciting at the end of one to hook you for another playthrough, too. In particular, the True End is a strong pay off to the story that was better than I expected. Definitely worth it. The game's gorgeous animated background art really deserves recognition too. Overall I'm walking away happy and thats all that really matters.
  • Ryan McCarthyRyan McCarthy RPGamer Staff
    I finally finished Sword and Fairy 6 (PS4). Gonna have to wait for the review to know what I thought of it. ;)
    edited May 15
    Super Mario Party (Switch) - Spent a fun weekend giving this a try. Sadly, this is one of those cases where Nintendo screws up things that most others don't. Originally I wrote the game off due to the online debacle not letting you play the actual board game with others, but forgot there were other issues too. Since I rented it, I had no idea we needed Joycons to play rather than my Pro Controllers, so we had to end up borrowing an extra pair. To make matters worse, you're forced to play with the "Single Joycon" which is just an awful controller all around, especially compared to the Wiimote's similar functionality. On top of that, theres only 4 boards in the game, leading to things getting stale pretty fast. Its a real shame, because the mini games and actual board game portion are not bad and a step in the right direction to getting Mario Party back to how it used to be. We had a good time with it, but are unlikely to ever try it again.

428: Shibuya Scramble (PS4) - Got it during the Golden Week sale. This right here is a stellar visual novel that really deserves a second look from people who are skeptical about the visuals or premise. I had been hesitant to try it because of the promotional material, but within the first half hour I was immediately hooked. There were no lulls where I didn't feel like reading, and the whole thing was very well paced. Choices give you the sense that you can play with the outcome by solving a puzzle, or on the other hand get to watch something absurd happen which are both entertaining. Because 428 doesn't use drawn art, you get tons and tons of "Unique CGs" which lends things towards feeling like an interactive cinematic experience, so its a nice benefit even though I'd still prefer illustration. The story itself is quite a joy ride. You're taken on a wide range emotions from thriller, to comedy, to action, each of them serving a purpose to push a story that really pays attention to the details resulting from the connected actions of the multiple protagonists. One of the extra scenarios you're provided with after finishing is also a fantastic compliment and reward to the overall tale. 428 truly was a great experience, and while it isn't quite at the level of my absolute favorite VNs, it does stand proudly just behind them.
  • IzlimakIzlimak New Member Full Members
    Clive Barker's Undying – PC

First two thirds I found great, last third I found it a slog. Bad last boss. Ending sets up a sequel that never happened.

Score: 6/10
    Legend of Zelda : Link to the Past(SNES)
    Super Metroid (SNES)

Been too long since I play these two, in fact there a randomizer that combine these two, I did have a hard time, did not remember as much as I though. But it was a fun fresh way to play these two :)
    sig.gif