If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2019 Completed Games List

124»

Comments

• MattcraftMattcraft Eternal Lurker Forsyth, GA.Full Members
    Archlion Saga (Switch / Mobile)

It's short, but pretty good. Recommend it on mobile over Switch however.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    edited July 17
    on what console did you finish it? Both?
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
    On mobile. I honestly don't recommend it on Switch, unless it goes on sale for 50-75% off.

It's short, linear, and really good. Get it on your phone and play through it in a couple sittings. They're charging $5 for a free phone game with no added value on the Switch,
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    Donut County (Switch)- I did pay the Switch tax for this one, but it was well worth it. Very clever and was just the right length. I need to play more shorter games like this.
    I gotta agree with Redwing : Donut County is an AWESOME GAME. I'm planning on eventually getting it on the Switch, I got it on my iPhone when I was using it.
    Mecho Tales (switch)

I am glad I pay almost nothing for that game, because that what it worth!
    sig.gif
    Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon(switch)

This is a so much better game than the last one I finish, it is a really nice throw back to the good old game Castlevania 3 on the NES.
    I will need to play again to see the other end!
    sig.gif
    Inside (XBONE) - Another fairly short game. Not entirely sure how I feel about this one. Some of the puzzles were fun, and the aesthetic was neat, but somehow felt kind of hollow. There didn't seem to be any real purpose for anything, and I just kept progressing in the game because that's how it was designed, not because I felt like there was any direction to the action. Not that this was a bad game or a waste of time, but it just didn't grab me like some other games. Also, maybe I'm a bit bitter as I bought the game on sale just a couple weeks before it was announced as a Games with Gold choice.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited July 22
    Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4) is an impressive game technically, and I feel for all the time and effort put into making it, but the UI is absolute garbage and I can see why none of my friends who played it in 2018 made it very far before quitting.

I suppose I mostly saw it through to the end for the story, and because as an RPG fan I don't mind monotonous games when I'm in the right mood, but the plot had 2 major problems for me. Buying Dutch as a great, charismatic leader required me to see him in that role at some point, not just hear about it from characters' vague references to a time prior to the game's story. Without that, I had trouble accepting some characters' actions when things went sour. Second, the mysterious events of the failed Blackwater job hung over the story from literally the 1st moment through to the finale. I assumed Arthur's story would end in Blackwater and explain what happened, but it didn't. The game never explains what happened in that, the most important, frequently-referenced driver of the entire plot. So stupid and disappointing.

I found RDR2's gameplay boring and frustrating more often than not, but I liked the characters and writing. No clue what type of gamer I would consider recommending this to. I think most people would hate it.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    My brother wanted to replay Borderlands 2 (PS4) co-op before the new one comes out. This is at least my 4th time playing it, and this run was the least fun for me. I didn't enjoy Mecromancer as much as the other characters I've used, and my brother insisted on playing couch co-op. I missed having my own screen to myself. He also wants to play Borderlands 3 couch co-op, so.... yay.... Still a great game, of course.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • Ryan McCarthyRyan McCarthy RPGamer Staff
    finished Tales from the Borderlands (PS4) - liked it a lot, good characters, some legitimately chuckle-worthy moments, and some shockingly well-executed pathos
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    I finally beat Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse (3DS), specifically the Bonds/Peace ending.
    This game is rather optimistic for a MegaTen game. Also, it's everything the original Shin Megami Tensei IV should have been.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• Sam WachterSam Wachter RPGamer Staff
    Judgment (PS4) - AMAZING.
    Valkyria Chronicles (PS4) - This is the remastered(?) version. I'm on record as saying that Skies of Arcadia is the pinnacle of old school JRPGs. It is not perfect, but the small flaws it has (mostly regarding the combat system) are easily overlooked because of how great everything else is. I am also a very big fan of strategy games. That means that, on paper, this should be my favorite game of all time. Well, it doesn't quite meet that mark, but it was a very enjoyable trip through fake WWII. The characters maybe fall a notch below SoA overall, but the tone of that game definitely carries through. I do think that the combat system is a bit fiddly at times, with precise positioning being difficult, but there were only a few times I had to check a guide because I couldn't quite grasp what the game was looking for. A couple of those were during the challenge missions as well, so I don't feel too bad about that.

Overall, I'm glad I finally got to play this (I never had a PS3, and I really struggle with playing console games on PC), and I'm certainly looking forward to playing VC4 at some point. I wish the other two were available, but I also know that they are lesser installments.
    finished my first playthrough of Nocked! True Tales of Robin Hood (PC) and intend to do another one before writing my review
  • KrullKrull Full Members
    edited August 9
    Just knocked off my JRPGJuly choice, which was Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC on PSP. Really liked it. Took me 53 hours, mostly without a guide - a couple of hidden things I just had to look up, not realising that the reason I couldn’t find them was because the game hadn’t opened up certain areas to me yet.

Apart from that, I struggle to come up with any complaints. The story was decent, with that old-school linearity familiar from 16-bit JRPGs, but what really lifted it were the vivid characters and a very decent tactical battle system. Got to be worth at least a 4, possibly a 4.5. Cliffhanger ending too - love it! Will definitely do Second Chapter at some point.
    Destiny 2 (PC)

That was a fun FPS that I play with a friend! I don't know if I would have enjoy it as much alone!
    sig.gif
    Dragon Quest Builders(Switch)

this game I been on my backlog for a while, the fact that the second just came out, give me the boost to complete it :) I really love that game, even if I don't like Minecraft at all, in this one you are not left to yourself to build, there a story and that what I like about it!
    sig.gif
    Dragon's Crown Pro (PS4)

I really enjoyed this. While playing it solo made the repetition more obvious, the beat 'em up action RPG gameplay was compelling and I intend to go back to it eventually. While this isn't a game to play for the story, I did like artwork and accompanying flavor text you get for completing quests.
  • Sam WachterSam Wachter RPGamer Staff
    Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch) -- My fave game of the year so far. Still give months of the year left though, Married Dorothea!