If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2020 Completed Games List

Comments

• 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited February 21
    Rolled credits on Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4) last weekend. It's extremely frustrating to play most of the time, but then it feels so good when a monster finally dies. I cuss at the screen nonstop while playing this. I did all the main missions solo and only failed one time. I use the insect glaive and don't watch guides or vids, so I sometimes wonder if I'm doing it wrong in certain fights - Tigrex, Rajang, Kirin, Barioth to a lesser extent - where I loathe every second of the battle and wonder why I'm fighting them more than once. But then, I only lost once all game so I'm probably doing it right. The game just wants to be hated at times. That said, it's hard to put down and more fun in hindsight than it is in the moment.

The real issue for me is that the final postgame monster is locked behind MR 100. It's been refreshing fighting easy monsters in the Guided Lands this week, but I don't know if I'm up for 30+ hours of the same context just to be able to fight a monster that I thought would be part of the main storyline.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • KrullKrull Full Members
    edited February 23
    Thought I’d be knee deep in the adventures of Geralt and Ciri by now, but got distracted by VVVVVV on iOS. Just upgraded my phone, and a few apps look like they’ve not been updated for the new handset, so I thought I’d give them one last chance before putting away my old phone. Hence taking on this short but sharp little platform adventure.

VVVVVV took me only a fraction over two-and-a-half hours to finish, finding 15 of the 20 optional secrets. However, that involved just over 1,000 deaths! It has a neat mechanic, in that your character can’t jump, but instead you flip the gravity so they fall up. Gravity, however, moves fast and you need to make very precise and quick movements to get through various gauntlets. Playing this with touchscreen controls was occasionally rough, but still doable. Fun little game, challenging, decent chiptune soundtrack and it didn’t outstay its welcome. Well worth a look, especially at mobile prices (if your OS is old enough),
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited February 26
    Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4) - First things first, what was I DOING waiting so long to play this incredible game! Can't believe I wasn't more interested when it launched.

Starting off, I was aggravated at the HDR in Sekiro, as it seemed to be washed out no matter how much I played with the settings. Turning it off resulted in richer black levels so I ended up keeping it that way. That being said, the visuals in Sekiro are still spectacular in a rich, aesthetically pleasing ancient Japanese way. The real meat of the game is in the gameplay here, and I absolutely loved sneaking around and assassinating enemies during the course of normal gameplay, while also adding in the option to stealth deathblow some bosses to reward ingenuity. The bosses themselves were fantastic, as there are a wide number of human and non-human encounters that offer a healthy variety of different attacks and patterns to overcome. In particular, the swordplay in Sekiro when you are dueling a Samurai in is so unbelievably satisfying. I absolutely adored these types of bosses. On top of that, the player is given a bunch of cool skills and tools to use, most of which are extremely effective in the right circumstances which reward experimentation and carefully watching enemies to see what works. Some, like the Spear, did not seem all that useful to me, but tools like the Iron Umbrella, Shuriken, and Firecrackers served me well, especially the Umbrella which was just a lifesaver in so many instances. The skills were pretty neat too, I love how Shadowrush helped me defeat a boss, the Monk Kicks allow you to dodge sweeping attacks a little easier, and things like Living Force and other prosthetic tool follow up attacks give you a lot of flavor in how you can approach your attacks and defense. I love how carefully balanced the game is, giving the player many options, while still being quite punishing to small mistakes. Honestly, if they do a second game, I'd love to see some 4-6 phase boss fights that don't suffer from the player having to reload and skip a bunch of stupid cutscenes, as these were probably the most thrilling ones for me. Speaking of the bad, I really did not care for the story in Sekiro at all, even though it seemed to have some promise at the beginning. It likely doesn't help that I'm not a very big fan of From's storytelling in general, but I just didn't think the plot here worked very well nor was the core conflict all that enveloping to begin with. Of course, thats just a minor hiccup in an otherwise stellar title that delivered where it matters most. I'll say it now, this is easily my favorite Souls style game, and I would be absolutely thrilled with a follow up to Sekiro.
  • Sam WachterSam Wachter RPGamer Staff
    Cthulhu Saves Christmas (PC) - Adorable!
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    Yakuza Kiwami (PS4) - I enjoyed this quite a bit, though not as much as Zero. The main plot and substories were both entertaining, and while I enjoy Majima, I feel like the Majima Everywhere part felt very out of step with the rest of the game. Understandable, since it was added after the fact. Still, I had a good time with this, and after a short break will be moving on to Kiwami 2.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Celeste (PC)

the story of that game was really interesting :)
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
    Wizards and Wagons (iOS). Extremely compelling trading sim, roaming from town to town, buying and selling goods, fighting off baddies, completing quests, and gradually upgrading your wagon and weapons until you pile up enough cash to buy your house back. I had a ball with it - it has a “just one more trade” quality that’ll suck your time away. So, having got my house back, I think it’s safest to delete this off my phone!
    Wargroove (Switch) -- Fantastic game that feels like a love letter to Advance Wars.

I miss Advance Wars.
    DOOM (2016) (XBONE) - Glad I finally got around to this. Game looks great and plays great. Only issue I had was with the boss battles. I felt they really worked against the strengths of the game. Otherwise, I really enjoyed it and I'm all set for Eternal to come out.
  • Ryan McCarthyRyan McCarthy RPGamer Staff
    Ganbare! Super Strikers (PS4) -- So I finally finished this pretty much. Will hopefully have a review of this written up soon.
    VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action (PC)
    Dragon Quest (Switch)

Kid Icarus (NES via Switch) - For some reason, I've always had a thing for this game. It really isn't that good. The music is very good in worlds 1 and 3, I'll give it that. It is very difficult at the start, but once you get a life upgrade and one of the magic treasures (especially the rotating shield), it really isn't that bad. Instant falling death for a character who has wings is really dumb, but typical mid 80's design. But I was frustrated with Tokyo Mirage Sessions and needed a break, so here we are.
    edited March 26
    Final Fantasy Adventure (Switch, via Mana Collection)
    edited March 27
    I did end up playing Iceborne like a crazy person, hitting MR100 to fight the last monster, then doing Safi afterward because I thought it was meant to be done in all super endgame gear, but it's not. Also, succeeding on 2 raids was enough to make a weapon absurdly better than anything else in the game. Now there's no incentive to grind the rarity 12 weapons, and definitely no reason to grind augments on them, which is good. It happened my last 4 fights getting to MR100 included Zinogre, Rajang, and Lunastra, all of which I can solo without being carted 3 times (though I intensely hate Rajang). After that, the MR100 fight was a step down in difficulty.

Which is why I haven't completed anything in a month. Then I started and finished Greedfall (PS4) in 6 days. I had chosen to pass on this one, but my brother pushed me to play it. It would have been better as a tighter experience for me. It felt like the devs had a desire to include everything a big action RPG should include without making it all deep or well thought out. The world was too large for the content; I felt like I spent more time fast traveling and running through city paths and empty fields than anything else. The highlight's the story, characters, lore, sidequests, etc., but there's too much time spent on it that drags without going anywhere, and the messaging got repetitive. Colonialism is really bad, I get it.

But I played it in 6 days when I could have been distracted by Iceborne's update or Overwatch, so it wasn't so bad.
    Telling Lies (PC)
    Mega Man X(PC via Mega Man X Legacy Collection)

I need to complete that serie, I know for sure that I played the first 3, not sure after that... like the original Mega Man, I need to do 9,10 and 11.
    sig.gif
    The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt (PS4)
    edited April 3
    I was in the mood for a turn-based game and played Pokemon Shield (Switch) this week. It's tough playing this right after Iceborne and Greedfall, two games where companies are trying to make the best game possible on their respective budgets. Shield is a minimal-effort cash-grab. Even given the quick pace and shortness of it, I got bored midway through and eventually just skipped everything I could to finish. Iceborne released a free update recently so I'll head back to that.
    edited April 5
    Still barely scratched the surface of The Witcher 3, but I have knocked off another little amuse bouche in Thomas Was Alone (iOS). Very charming puzzle platformer which works decently even with touch controls, but lifted above the norm by Mike Bithell’s storytelling and Dave Gorman’s narration.

Now back to the Bloody Baron and the witches of crookback bog...
    Mega Man X2(PC via Mega Man X Legacy Collection)

Wow I did not remember anything of that game, it was hard but it was fun to play a mega man from scratch
    sig.gif
  • Ryan McCarthyRyan McCarthy RPGamer Staff
    Dusk Diver (PS4) -- yet another game to write a review for
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    Final Fantasy 3(PC) -- This game got a recent update, so since I"m cooped up inside and I need some gamer comfort food..thought I'd do a replay.

Might go for FF4 (DS) next, then 5, then 6, but might end up playing FF7 remake first depending on when it gets here. Oh and speaking of 7: I might see if I can get my old copy of FF7 PC working nice with Windows 10. that is kinda a problem, considering my controller..
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
    Love that Final Fantasy 3 just got an update! New DLC?
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    Krull; they added a autobattle feature, some user interface changes (Not. Much) and a few other things. You can see the patch notes here.

Unfortunately Square effed it up at first; they forgot to specify/mux in the font which made for some text overflow issues (running out of the text boxes) and you had to do a registry hack (harmless one) to play and read the text. It's fixed now tho, so buy/play away!
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
    edited April 11
    Sine Mora Ex (Switch)

interesting story about revenge and time travel, I do love to play a shooter from time to time to change pace. I finish it at normal, and it was hard, can't imagine at hard...
    sig.gif
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited April 13
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero (PC) - Finished via the Geofront Patch.

Wow, its been a long time coming for Crossbell, thats for sure. I've been waiting patiently to play this version for years, did it pay off? In my opinion, absolutely. The localization here is fantastic, the text flows very naturally and feels healthy and vibrant with lots of synonyms while avoiding common pitfalls that even professional releases seem to have. The amount of customization available here is lovely. Being able to insert the EVO and Super Arrange soundtrack and choose between which version of each individual song you'd like to play is an incredible addition. Not only that, but you can add in the voice acting too for a more complete experience. There's tons of updates as well that just make the game better by a mile, such as increased resolution, borderless gaming to avoid framedrops, turbo mode, better texture packs and color mods. The chest messages are the best in the series by far here too, IMO. Lots of variety in humor and references with them. The only pitfall really was that its initial release had a couple hiccups with installation, and I personally had an aggravating crashing issue with the last boss that an update managed to cure. So yeah, Geofront patch is amazing.

About Zero itself, it was a fantastic game just like all Trails titles are. I love how Zero piggybacks off of the Sky trilogy a bit to tell a compelling story with a new cast of characters while still giving you some continued world building. For all that I know about Zero from Cold Steel 3, not much was spoiled honestly and I came away very satisfied with the overall experience. Its another amazing addition to the series overall, and I'm glad I'm finally getting a chance to play these lost chapters. Part of me does wonder where Zero will stand between individual series entries, however. There's the feeling that all the quality of life additions made by Geofront are carrying the game a little. A few nitpicks about the game itself is that there is quite a bit of backtracking, and not nearly as much exploration as the original Trails in the Sky. Most other Trails games give you a more robust area to explore, where as after Zero, I'm legitimately concerned that Azure is not going to have enough unique areas, as I'm already a little tired with how much retreading old ground is in Zero due to there being only one central city. Crossbell is certainly full of life, but does it match up to all the life thats in Liberl, for example? Zero ultimately does feel like a very well done setup title in the same way that Sky 1 and Cold Steel 1 are, though. It endears you to a colorful cast of characters and sets the stage for larger happenings, but still feels like an extremely satisfying ending on its own, unlike some of the heavier cliffhangers that are in the series. Overall, I'm super excited to get started on the sequel right away. With everything going on right now, Trails is just what the doctor ordered to keep things positive!
    What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4) - Sad but interesting story. My 13 year old daughter saw me playing it about half way through, then wanted to watch it through the end. She was intrigued by it also.
    Wide Ocean, Big Jacket (Switch)
    Full Throttle Remastered (PS4)
    Ni No Kuni - Wrath of The White Witch(PS3)

Great game story with a great sound track :)
    sig.gif
    Steamworld quest: hand of Gilgamech(PC)

Well I wanted to try this game for a little while and I am glad I did.

Great strategy game with cards, you have 5 characters you can only pick 3 at one time and each of them have a different deck that change as the game progress.

You can pick 8 cards for each of your character and that create your deck, at the start of the fight 6 cards is pick from it, where you can create combo with up to 3 cards per turn.

For my game I did keep the 3 firsts character that I found, at the end I have a deck that have a lot of healing and a mix of physical attack and magic attack. One character deal with healing, defense and causing status effects, one physical and one magic.
    sig.gif