If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2020 Completed Games List

12346»

Comments

• KrullKrull Full Members
    Outer Wilds (PC). A really cleverly designed game. If you don’t know, you explore a solar system, uncovering the secrets of a more advanced alien civilisation across various planets, and every 22 minutes the sun explodes - but, thanks to the magic of quantum, you wake up back on your home planet, with all the knowledge you gained from the past runs. It’s a great mystery adventure, full of puzzles and jetpacking. The story’s good, it has bags of personality and it’s one of the most memorable games I’ve played this year.

I admit, I cracked towards the end, and checked a couple of things in a FAQ - but I was confirming my guesses, rather than being outright stumped. The game does a very good job of leading you along the path - even though there doesn’t seem to be one! I’d give a 4 - but it’s a very strong 4.
  • Knack II (PS4)
    The Legend of Sword and Fairy (PC)
    Golden Rays of Sunshine (PC)
    Oceanhorn 2: Knights of the Lost Realm (Switch)

as you can probably tell, I haven't updated this in a while
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    lol that quite all right :)
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • avensisavensis Full Members
    edited January 2
    Death Stranding (PS4)
    Resident Evil 3 REmake (PS4)

ShowBox Tutuapp Mobdro
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    Been a slow year for completing new games for me. A lot of time spent on FF14, Overwatch, and MHW Iceborne, but I've completed a couple lately.

Children of Morta (PS4) - Couch co-op with my brother. It's rare for us to both enjoy and not tap out on co-op games with this much dying and retrying, and we died a LOT in the first third of the game. But we got along while playing it even with heaps of failures, and in maybe the 1st time ever, due to the difficulty, my brother actually stopped pulling multiple mobs and took it well when I yelled "run, run, run!" when things got dicey. Oddly, we both ended up liking the same character the best, and mostly breezed through the final levels when he used the best character full time and I switched to full time melee. I enjoyed this much more than the first 5 hours or so led me to believe I would.

Ghost of Tsushima (PS4) - Have my brother to thank for this too. It went under my radar, which seems to happen often nowadays, and he recommended it to me. A true masterpiece in many ways. I don't know that I've ever played a game that synergized such diverse combat strategies and playstyles so well that I ended up using all of them all game. And it's beautiful. And the saddest game I've played in a long time. This isn't a cheerful take on a Mongol invasion.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    Hades (Switch) - think this is easily my game if the year for 2020 releases. Also, an easy maximum 5. I really struggle to pick holes in it. I liked the story, the music is fantastic, the voice acting is excellent, the graphical style is pleasing, and the action itself, with all the varied weapons and power-ups, is spectacular. I’ve spent about 50hrs to roll credits, and could easily keep on going - there is still so much more story to unlock, and more weapon aspects to explore. Brilliant game.
  • Sam WachterSam Wachter RPGamer Staff
    Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (3DS)
    Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PS4)
    edited December 2020
    Picked up Etrian Odyssey Nexus (3DS) to play during NFL games this season.

I was disappointed from start to finish. It's the biggest game in the series, but possibly the worst due to how bland and recycled it all is. I'd have preferred for the final entry to be the series' most original, best experience and instead I got the opposite of that. The balance and pacing were consistent. That's the nicest thing I have to say, and what it considered "consistent" wasn't exactly where I'd want it given how long the game is.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited December 2020
    Untitled Goose Game (XBONE) - Did a quick playthrough of this, since it is leaving Game Pass. Had to look up a couple of the solutions, but mostly waddled through it on my own. I didn't work on the post-game to-do list, though I did roll credits. It was fun, but I'm glad it wasn't much longer. My favorite parts were when you pick up a harmonica, or a trash can lid, or a bell, and your honk changes accordingly. The very end did make me laugh as well.
    edited December 2020
    I skipped the last 4 Atelier games after getting increasingly disappointed by the series. RPGamer's feature on the series piqued my interest in them again and I blitzed through Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout (PS4) this week. The quirkiness and time limits of the Arland games make then incomparable for me, so it's hard to admit... but this might be the best game in the series.

It has pacing issues like 2 different designers created the 1st and 2nd halves of the game, and neither got the pacing right. Overall it seemed like the game's planners didn't talk to each other much because there's minor progression jankiness everywhere, but the fact that it's minor is a huge improvement over the last few Atelier games I played.

But this is the best story an Atelier game has had. All the characters get the spotlight instead of only the eponymous one, which made the plot much stronger and the group more relatable. Loved the new alchemy system too. Looking forward to Ryza 2 now.

Also, Lila has the best impossiboobs outside of a Vanillaware title.
    7thCircle wrote: »

Those impossaboobs were a big part of that review I wrote. :P Glad you loved Ryza! It's pretty swell! Did you fight the optional bosses (the elements?), I loved those fights!

Anywho, more games beaten because thanks COVID!

Final Fight (PS4)
    Warriors of Fate (PS4)
    Armored Warriors (PS4)
    A Summer's End - Hong Kong 1986 (PC)
    Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (3DS)

I have no life!
    After more than 20 years, I have finally beaten The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (3DS). I could only play it on a friend’s N64 at the time, so I think I only got as far as maybe the Water Temple? Back in the day, I thought it was incredible, probably the best game I’d ever played. Today? I still loved it - the puzzles are great, it’s packed with secrets, and even a more grown up me didn’t find everything. I’d say it’s still a five-star game even by modern standards - but with a two-star camera, so I’m knocking it down to a 4.5. Still brilliant, though.
    edited December 2020
    7thCircle wrote: »

Those impossaboobs were a big part of that review I wrote. :P Glad you loved Ryza! It's pretty swell! Did you fight the optional bosses (the elements?), I loved those fights!

Yeah. I spent hours on alchemy when all the endgame gear and items became available, not knowing I was literally at the end of the game and only had 15 minutes of fights left. I beat all the elementals I was aware of before finishing the main story, then got the last couple afterward. I checked a guide and there's one last optional fight I missed. I might go do that now because...

I beat Cyberpunk 2077 (PC) today. Even though my PC is 6 years old and I played on lower graphics setting, I never ran into any game-breaking bugs. Lots and lots and lots of glitches that ranged from funny to mildly annoying, but no crashes and nothing was broken. I've been thinking if this is the most buggy modern game (say, 360/PS3 era and later) I've ever played. Could only come up with New Vegas as being worse, mainly because New Vegas bugs broke the game and it was a constant issue. Skyrim on PS3 was probably worse too, but I played that on PC and only recall 1 nasty bug that broke part of the world permanently for me.

Anyway... a lot of highlights in Cyberpunk but the odd takeaway for me is Act 1 was my favorite part of the game. It started with this awesome high and then slowly the cool moments and interesting characters trickled down until it felt like a meh experience at the end. Some questlines I liked ended shortly; some I was less interested in went on too long. I don't feel disappointed because I liked the world, combat, most of the stories, and the overall vibe was so cool - the music is outstanding - but the best way to put it was ultimately the gameplay was too GTA for me. I like GTA games and play them, but there's this point where driving around and shooting people get old and you still have 10 side quests and 50 one-off quest markers on your map and you're playing just to play it, not because it's fun.
    Ikenfell (PS4) - Review to come.
    Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (switch)

that was a nice Zelda like game, but way too easy! Still fun!
    sig.gif
    edited December 2020
    Completed a few runs on 868-HACK (iOS). TBF, they don’t take very long, but I just want an excuse to talk about the game. It’s just such a great, condensed rogue-like - I believe everyone should have it on their phones. You navigate eight levels of a 6x6 grid with turn-based movement, and pick up siphons (2 per level) which are used to extract power-ups, points and resources, which are used by your powers. It is so simple, yet so good. The designer, Michael Brough, is a genius. His Imbroglio is also great.
    King of Dragons (PS4)
    Captain Commando (PS4)
    7'Scarlet (PS Vita)
    Battle Circuit (PS4)
    Knights of the Round (PS4)
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited December 2020
    Okay. FFXIV again.

FFXIV Shadowbringers: Futures Rewritten(PC)-- This was cute and was setting up trouble. ASCIANS..gah.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • dandelions (PC)
    Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
    Kameo: Elements of Power (Xbox One via Rare Replay)
    Didn't finish any new games since Cyberpunk, but I had FTL: Faster Than Light (PC) in an earlier post and it's missing from the list.
    edited January 1
    oup sorry, adding it now :)

We did beat 200 games total that nice, let do more next year :)

sig.gif
    Thanks for keeping this thread going, Ombres!

And happy new year, everyone. Already working on my first cleared game of 2021...
    always a pleasure to do so :) just did my first one :)

Happy new year, everyone!!!
    sig.gif