If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Missing topic

Rise of the PheonixRise of the Pheonix MemberFull Members
edited August 2003 in Site & Forum Support
I can't find the "STORIES" thread (which used to be in Game Dev.) anywhere. I ran a search but it returned no results.

? Now is it just me being stupid or does anyone else have this problem? Or has the thread been deleted for some reason?

Comments

• KamikazeKamikaze Member Full Members
    edited August 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rise of the Pheonix @ Aug. 19 2003,06:55)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I can't find the "STORIES" thread (which used to be in Game Dev.) anywhere. I ran a search but it returned no results.

? Now is it just me being stupid or does anyone else have this problem? Or has the thread been deleted for some reason?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If the thread was not deleted, then it's still in there somewhere. The search feature sucks royal balls though, so good luck finding it if it still exists.
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited August 2003
    You may just be looking at the topics from the last 30 days, as that seems to be the default display option. You can change it by playing with those buttons at the bottom of each topic listing page.
  • Rise of the PheonixRise of the Pheonix Member Full Members
    edited August 2003
    Ah ha. You were right m'lord. Thanks Brian wink.gif
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited August 2003
    With regards to old topics, I have a question. ?Why is it that you guys don't prune out all the really old topics? Wouldn't doing so save space on your server?
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited August 2003
    Sure, it'd save space. Why go to the effort, though, when you could just as simply remove a handful of movies no one ever downloads and save more space?
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited August 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MonCapitan2002 @ Aug. 20 2003,00:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"With regards to old topics, I have a question. Why is it that you guys don't prune out all the really old topics? Wouldn't doing so save space on your server?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The reason for not pruning is there doesn't seem to really be a need for it. The space used by the topics is all stored in the mySQL database, which is currently a mere 85 megabytes. As Rico mentioned, we use more space for some movies than the entire board system. However, if we find a time when the boards don't give the promt performance they have been, then it will definately be an option.

The other reason is slightly ego related. When you prune a topic, the count descreases at the bottom of the page. We are so impressed at the boards lately that we don't really want to knock that number down. The bigger you look, the more people are interested. Make sense? ^^
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited August 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FireMyst @ Aug. 25 2003,18:17)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The bigger you look, the more people are interested. ?Make sense? ?^^[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    And is more people being interested necessarily a good thing?
  • RezantisRezantis Member Full Members
    edited August 2003
    Depends. Some people you want, some people you don't want, and some people you ban on sight.

>_>

<_<

I'm going to go hide now. o_o
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited August 2003
    It depends on how exclusive they want the boards to be. ?The staff here seems to wnat an open board, so I guess it is a good thing to them. ?If they wanted to change that policy, there are probably modifications that they can make to reflect any new board policies.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited August 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rezantis @ Aug. 25 2003,19:47)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Depends. Some people you want, some people you don't want, and some people you ban on sight.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    True, but you won't find the good ones if you don't look at all. ^^
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell