If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Do you think titles should be for everyone ?

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ Oct. 14 2003,14:34)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Must...refrain...from "branding"...Elhaym Van Houten...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You mustn?t brand me. If you brand me I will scream!
  • Zidane TribalZidane Tribal Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2003
    I used to think when I first started posting here in January as mogster that members only get titles after a certain number of posts. That was when the poll counter was activated. Now that I know it takes something that you type to get one I feel like I should never give up until the day all my posting pays off when I do. We shouldn't whine about how unfair it that most of us aren't moderators or that computer savvy. Good things come to those who wait. wink.gif
  • SeraphicLawSeraphicLaw Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Zidane Tribal @ Oct. 17 2003,21wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I used to think when I first started posting here in January as mogster that members only get titles after a certain number of posts. That was when the poll counter was activated.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Where's Desh? Oh well, I'm gonna borrow his quite from another thread in reply to this:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Oh, how little you know.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

tounge.gif Well, I can't really blame you, since your way of thinking seems to be incomprehensible sometime.

Edit: Can't believe I made such an ugly typo! tounge.gif

• Zidane TribalZidane Tribal Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SeraphicLaw @ Oct. 18 2003,10:59)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Zidane Tribal @ Oct. 17 2003,21wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I used to think when I first started posting here in January as mogster that members only get titles after a certain number of posts. That was when the poll counter was activated.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Where's Desh? Oh well, I'm gonna borrow his quite from another thread in reply to this:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Oh, how little you know.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

tounge.gif Well, I can't really blame you, since your way of thinking seems to be incomprehensible sometime.

Edit: Can't believe I made such an ugly typo! tounge.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hey, that would've been a good system if Lord Brian went along with it. So that would've been convenient, not incomprehensible. eh.gif
    Besides, it kind of looks like you think I'm an idiot with that post I quoted. January was when I never heard about message boards and their rules and I signed up as a member for the first time.
  • Daemonic_AngelDaemonic_Angel Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Personally I think a Person should get thier Title for having a certain number of posts (It could be like an Award) or if they are Mods

*EDIT* You should give Lord Dycedarg the title of "The One" like Neo from the Matrix

• MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Daemonic_Angel @ Oct. 19 2003,04:33)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Personally I think a Person should get thier Title for having a certain number of posts (It could be like an Award) or if they are Mods[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Notice that mods have titles. Most of them anyway. And I don't think post count should entitle you to a decent title. I mean, what if the person did nothing but waste posts by posting useless and unthought of crap?
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MeoTwister5 @ Oct. 19 2003,00:37)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Daemonic_Angel @ Oct. 19 2003,04:33)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Personally I think a Person should get thier Title for having a certain number of posts (It could be like an Award) or if they are Mods[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Notice that mods have titles. ?Most of them anyway. ?And I don't think post count should entitle you to a decent title. ?I mean, what if the person did nothing but waste posts by posting useless and unthought of crap?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    True. But I think LB or someone would pick up on that and NOT give them one as Punishment...
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Daemonic_Angel @ Oct. 18 2003,23:33)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Personally I think a Person should get thier Title for having a certain number of posts (It could be like an Award) or if they are Mods[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You might want to take note of the fact that we removed postcounts. Find a better way to award titles.
    edited October 2003
    what if a person manages to maintain thier Post average at 1.00 or better for a certain period of time
    edited October 2003
    I guess that's certainly one way. Now, explain to me why you think that more posts, or in this case consistent posts, are automatically better and thus deserve rewards.
  • agentflitagentflit Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Daemonic_Angel @ Oct. 18 2003,20:13)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"what if a person manages to maintain thier Post average at 1.00 or better for a certain period of time[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Nah, It's got "abhorrent" written all over it.

edit: Quick replay, LB. To indirectly answer the question, it depends on what type of award (or in this case, title) you are giving out.

• DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Daemonic_Angel @ Oct. 18 2003,21:13)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"what if a person manages to maintain thier Post average at 1.00 or better for a certain period of time[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hey, imagine this little tidbit. The average forumer has a huge relative boost in their average post count the first day they post! Most, once they bother to register, go ahead and make more than one post the first day. And, quite often, more the next few days as well! I guess that means everyone should have a title, ne?

Other than that being well...quite silly. laugh.gif

Dracos
    edited October 2003
    I didnt say to give them a title in the first couple of days what I was trying to say is that if a person has 1.00 say about a year and a half or two years after being a member they should get one.
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    But why? Instead of encouraging people to make quality posts, it would encourage spam because people would be trying to keep their average up. "I was on vacation for a few days... better post a bunch of random stuff to make up for it!"
    edited October 2003
    True
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Daemonic_Angel @ Oct. 19 2003,12:18)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I didnt say to give them a title in the first couple of days what I was trying to say is that if a person has 1.00 ?say about a year and a half or two years after being a member they should get one.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm pretty sure these boards themselves aren't two years old, as the year and a half mark was met this month.

• ViperViper Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ Oct. 14 2003,19:05)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (wind~of~fate @ Oct. 14 2003,16:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Why is it that we, the common RPGamer, cannot and the mods can change theirs whenever the heck they please?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If it makes you feel any better, they can't change their titles whenever the heck they please either.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    We could, but most of us don't want to look through tons of cgi code and probably mess something up in the process.
  • valetine_4_evervaletine_4_ever Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Quote (Daemonic_Angel @ Oct. 19 2003,12:18)
    I didnt say to give them a title in the first couple of days what I was trying to say is that if a person has 1.00 say about a year and a half or two years after being a member they should get one.

I'm pretty sure these boards themselves aren't two years old, as the year and a half mark was met this month.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You know, eight months is a good period of time....
    edited October 2003
    Hey, here's something brilliant. If a poster fulfills some of certain categories:
    A)Witty
    B)Intelligent
    C)Funny
    D)Productive
    E)Contributive

And

F)Posts often.

Odds are they'll likely end up with a title ANYWAY! And if they don't, there probably isn't a good reason to give one to them! Wow, Imagine That.

Or, something superior, just accept that they are window dressing. Nothing more. They aren't a:
    "Well we love this guy, so we're giving him a title and as long as he have a title he got status points" They aren't some secret club complete with handshake.

So, why invent some arbitrary way to give away arbitrary titles? They exist as nothing more than whims, as they should. *Shrug*

Dracos
    edited October 2003
    I may be wrong, but didn't you get your title on like your second post, Dracos? Though I may be thinking of someone else. ;)
    edited October 2003
    Nope, not wrong there. Ye surprised the heck out of me too laugh.gif;.
  • knightofhyruleknightofhyrule Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Looking through the thread, I can't see even one suggestion that even comes close to being a good idea. ?Perhaps we should all stop trying to change the system (which works fine, by the way) to make it easier to get one and start making more quality posts to try to earn one, hmm?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (knightofhyrule @ Oct. 20 2003,19:39)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Looking through the thread, I can't see even one suggestion that even comes close to being a good idea. ?Perhaps we should all stop trying to change the system (which works fine, by the way) to make it easier to get one and start making more quality posts to try to earn one, hmm?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    you arent trying to suckup are you?
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    It's not even really a system.. if you say something clever and LB is in a good mood, you get a title.. in fact I'd say that's a pretty random method. ?The only problem with that though its that people who really want a title will start trying too hard.. and it shows (not directed at anyone in particular). ? tounge.gif
    edited October 2003
    I'm actually tempted to give out titles all the time. The problem is that every time I see a title-deserving post, the poster already has one.
  • knightofhyruleknightofhyrule Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    No, no, sucking up doesn't get you a title. I learned that one the hard way. I'm just sick of all the lame new ideas you people are pumping out. The "system", random as it may be, works. Oh wait-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Then you should probably stop looking in the threads about titles. Just a suggestion, of course.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Guess I should take that advice. tounge.gif
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I'd just like to take this time to say I wish I was wittey. Why can't I be wittey? It's discrimination, I say!

Titles...my opinion, staff only. It makes us feel all special, but in reality, just give them to whoever when they make a post Brian or Rico thinks is just absolutely awesome.

Also, as was said, staff can't change theirs. You think I'd be greatly better than a lamb? I'd be something like... "Wittey Brests!!" It's so errortastic!
    edited October 2003
    I asked you what you wanted for a title, and you said to make one up. So you have only yourself to blame.

(And the staff does have some say in who gets titles...it's just that so few staff even bother to read the boards, it's kinda tough to get their input.)
  • SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Hey LB, is your title even a title?
    edited October 2003
    I was lucky enough to be LB's sig once, it whet something like this ... "Suggestion the first: Use a spell checker, Suggestion the Secand..." I felt like I was at "Gods" side...