If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Do you think titles should be for everyone ?

Comments

• KitsuneKitsune Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Why does everyone overreact on message boards. tit-for-tat. We're talking about friggin' titles under usernames.

A lot of other sites with boards have custom titles and their not really a big deal. Just something people use to express themselves.
  • knightofhyruleknightofhyrule Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kitsune @ Dec. 07 2003,04:29)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Why does everyone overreact on message boards. tit-for-tat. We're talking about friggin' titles under usernames.

A lot of other sites with boards have custom titles and their not really a big deal. Just something people use to express themselves.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    That's great for them. Here, however, they're status symbols. That's why everyone wants one. They're kind of the Nobel Prize of the board dwellers. If they gave the Nobel Prize to everyone, then having one would be meaningless.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Since when have they been status symbols? I have never thought of my title as a status symbol. It's just some text underneath your name.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • Darkwarrior18Darkwarrior18 Banned Banned Users
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MonCapitan2002 @ Dec. 07 2003,08:10)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Since when have they been status symbols? ?I have never thought of my title as a status symbol. ?It's just some text underneath your name.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You never thought of your title as a status symbol, because you got yours by just asking. smile.gif
  • The FireDragonThe FireDragon Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    What I've heard, Lord Brian gave out titles for people who he thought should have one. For example, if Person X likes to paint his face in pink nailpolish Lord Brian would give Person X the title "Mr Nailpolish" even if Person X didn't want the title.
    I once asked if Lord Brian could give me a title but he refused me.
    I think that titles should be given to those who has been here a long time. If that was the system, I would've had one three months ago.
  • agentflitagentflit Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Darkwarrior18 @ Dec. 06 2003,22:00)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"No, the reason I don't have a title, is because Rico hasen't given me one, and I frankly, I don't care to have one. And, also you know I have a sense of humor. I mean, you've seen my posts in the describe the person above you thread. At any rate, please don't pitty me. I haven't done anything in my life that would require pitty from you.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Regardless of anyone's sense of humor, I sense an excessively literal interpretation here.

Behold, cynicism!

• PhospheneHereticPhospheneHeretic Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Honestly, a status symbol? Brian gave out titles to people who amused him, whether they be witty or outrageousy dumb, so if you want to call a title a symbol of status, you're really no better than a court jester. Who cares how the person in power wants to handle titles so long as they aren't abused? (And no, I do not define 'abuse' as placing a fitting title on someone who has earned it by negative action)
  • Darkwarrior18Darkwarrior18 Banned Banned Users
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (agentflit @ Dec. 07 2003,16:56)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Darkwarrior18 @ Dec. 06 2003,22:00)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"No, the reason I don't have a title, is because Rico hasen't given me one, and I frankly, I don't care to have one. And, also you know I have a sense of humor. I mean, you've seen my posts in the describe the person above you thread. At any rate, please don't pitty me. I haven't done anything in my life that would require pitty from you.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Regardless of anyone's sense of humor, I sense an excessively literal interpretation here.

Behold, cynicism![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Are you just trying to see how much you can ride my case? Just leave me alone.
  • An FF OriginalAn FF Original Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Phosphene, I don't think I've seen you post a single positive comment. Ever. You really should work at that. And judging by your contempt of jesters, you were/are a serious kid in school who was disgusted by the class clown, weren't/aren't you?
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (An FF Original @ Dec. 07 2003,20:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You really should work at that. ?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Just as a general rule, I wouldn't put too much effort into following advice from a person who's broken post content rules about appropriate post content.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Darkwarrior18 @ Dec. 07 2003,19:31)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Are you just trying to see how much you can ride my case? Just leave me alone.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Actually, I was not-very-seriously labeling my own post as cynicism. It was a joke, even if unfunny wink.gif .

edited December 2003
    Were you trying to be ironical, FF, or were you entirely serious? ?In case you missed it, I was trying to undermine the idea that a title is a symbol of status, and rather the moderator having a fun time with a relatively benign piece of his power. ?See, by literally defining it as what it would equate to as far as status and intent, it shows the status argument to be silly and overblown. ?I'm sorry if my lack of smiley faces in my posts confuses your interpretation of things, but it's really a much more pleasing form of writing to leave obviously implicit things implicit (but I'm sure you knew that, right? In fact, I'll bet that's what your post was!). Don't try to condescend to tell me on what I need to work. ?I'm not here to make a social name for myself, I'm here to contribute as I see fit within the confines of the board's rules. ?I choose to participate in threads that involve argumentative or complex written and historical ideas as opposed to plopping a one-liner in the 'describe someone above you thread' because I value them more. ?Humor is good and all, but just because I'm not so forthright with it on the boards is little indicator. ?Of course, here you are assaulting my sense of humor not only explicitly with your insult, but also with a terrible attempt and an exaggerated joke. ?Perhaps your edge is the one that could use some honing, sir. ?

My priorities are my own to deal with, and with whom and what I place them is my own concern. ?I spend little enough time on these boards as is, and in the past two months I'm sure you've gotten a firm grasp of my personality with all the intimate moments we've shared.

• SesshoumaruSesshoumaru Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ Dec. 07 2003,22:46)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (An FF Original @ Dec. 07 2003,20:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You really should work at that. ?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Just as a general rule, I wouldn't put too much effort into following advice from a person who's broken post content rules about appropriate post content.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    if he got punished like i did, then i would think that he would follow some advice, but if he hadnt then it couldnt have been that bad. could it?
    edited December 2003
    I'd answer your question, but I really have no idea what you're actually asking.
  • knightofhyruleknightofhyrule Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PhospheneHeretic @ Dec. 07 2003,20:16)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Honestly, a status symbol? ?Brian gave out titles to people who amused him, whether they be witty or outrageousy dumb, so if you want to call a title a symbol of status, you're really no better than a court jester. ?Who cares how the person in power wants to handle titles so long as they aren't abused? ?(And no, I do not define 'abuse' as placing a fitting title on someone who has earned it by negative action)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It is my understanding that a custom title is given to those who make impressive or extremely funny posts. ?Titles are awards. ?We're in agreement on this, yes? ?Good.

On the other hand, titles given to you without your consent are usually a mark of shame or just there for some amusing irony, and while they are still status symbols, they aren't good ones.

It's difficult to tell them apart at times when you don't know the story behind them, but having one says immediately says something about you to whomever happens to see it. ?They are status symbols.

edit: Let me clarify my original post to make sure we're on the same page. ?I was pointing out that giving titles to only those who impress the admin. makes them into status symbols. ?They're not the ultimate goal of posting on the boards, but they do mean something. ?However insignificant that something is, as well as if it's a positive something or a negative somethings, is really up to interpretation. ?I guess the whole point I'm trying to make is that calling them "a little bit of text under your avatar", while technically true, is not all they are worth.

• Options
    edited December 2003
    If I ever get the chance to have a title, it'll be "I want breasts".
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    ....welcome?
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ Dec. 08 2003,19:03)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'd answer your question, but I really have no idea what you're actually asking.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Actually i wasnt asking a question i was simply stating that if someone gets punished for thier wrongdoings then thier opinion on the rules should be taken more seriously, not more lightly. Unless they were not punished.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sesshoumaru @ Dec. 08 2003,19:44)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Actually i wasnt asking a question i was simply stating that if someone gets punished for thier wrongdoings then thier opinion on the rules should be taken more seriously, not more lightly. Unless they were not punished.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    From now on, I will bring all of my questions to people who are in jail. I should take their opinions more seriosly, because they were punished.

And by the way, you were asking a rhetorical question.

edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sesshoumaru @ Dec. 08 2003,20:44)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Actually i wasnt asking a question[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Question Marks 101, people.?.?.?. Yeesh.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ Dec. 07 2003,22:46)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (An FF Original @ Dec. 07 2003,20:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You really should work at that. ?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Just as a general rule, I wouldn't put too much effort into following advice from a person who's broken post content rules about appropriate post content.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ummm... seeing as how my comment was directed towards his negative outlook on life, as I've seen it portrayed in his posts, why would my past actions converning forum rules have any bearing? There is no correlation.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Because you are talking solely about his actions on the forum and how you'd recommend him changing them.

Logical correlation for a hundred, Alex?

Dracos
    edited December 2003
    I wasn't talking about his actions, but his attitude...
    edited December 2003
    You seem to be implying that writing a post isn't an action.

And, well, the only thing upon which you've had a basis to form an opinion on his attitude is from said actions.
    edited December 2003
    There REALLY needs to be an emoticon slapping its forehead
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (An FF Original @ Dec. 10 2003,17:37)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Ummm... seeing as how my comment was directed towards his negative outlook on life, as I've seen it portrayed in his posts, why would my past actions converning forum rules have any bearing? ?There is no correlation.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Because posting on an internet message board actually reflects your outlook on life...
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    *stabs FFOriginal*

Obviously I have an extremely violent and aggressive outlook on life and go around doing these sorts of things all the time in real life. I should really stop that.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Dracos
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ Dec. 11 2003,08:26)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"*stabs FFOriginal*

Obviously I have an extremely violent and aggressive outlook on life and go around doing these sorts of things all the time in real life. ?I should really stop that.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Dracos[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If you don't change your attitude you will be a very lonely...hermit.
    edited December 2003
    Yes, God forbid you become a curmudgeonly old codger like I apparently am.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PhospheneHeretic @ Dec. 12 2003,00:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yes, God forbid you become a curmudgeonly old codger like I apparently am.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    your a wadda what? huh?