If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Square Enix Dashes FF Hopes For 2004

2»

Comments

• Neon_tmNeon_tm Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LukeTSManager @ Nov. 04 2003,20:20)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"EDIT: wait hold on.... ?I just saw something really stupid.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And if you want a sequel to FFV play FFT!!!!!
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Can I hit him?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

So???

Thats my opinion, and by the way i was being sarcastic, you missed the hole point of what I wrote but thats ok, because there is always someone that don't know what to say so they want to insult others to think that they writed some positive and wonderfull opinion!!!

The next time you can say also that im stupid because im from Venezuela (in Latin America), I know that deep down in the botoom of your soul you thinked that!!!!

P.s: Yo didn't saw something really stupid, you read something really stupid!!!
  • magusat999magusat999 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Some the responses to my first post are so typical of the kind of dribble that comes off the lips of people who want to press their narrow minded viewpoint at the expense of other. it doesn't take a PHD in reading comprehension to figure out that I was not promoting "sameness" in game sequels. A sequel can be made, that truly uses the precedent as a basis, without making it the same as the original. New characters can be introduced, new areas can be explored, new magics, moves, secrets, etc. All kinds of innovation can be introduced without "remaking" the game so much until it is unrecognizeable (ala Chrono Cross). When you make a sequel, it should be a new story, not a whole new game. It should connect with the original. But it doesn't have to be exactly the same.

A new system can be created from any old system. Change the battle graphics, expand options, add features. What should not happen is discarding the old system altogether. At the very least there should be a choice. For example, the materia system in FFVII has massive potential for expansion. New weapons and armour with more and different types of slots, new orbs with different powers can be created - it just takes creativity, you don't need to rebuild the whole thing.

A sequel is made primarily for the audience of the original. That's why I can understand some of you being taken aback by my post(s). I'm sure some of you dont share the same viewpoint as I because you may have no experience with the original; but people like me, who spent $80.00 for Chrono Trigger back in the day, expect a little reward for our patronage. We are / were a guarunteed sell. We expect to see and use updated versions of some of our characters, and to see the holes in the story wrapped up. It's like going to see Nightmare on Elm Street part 2, but this time it's Micheal Myers instead of Freddy - a sequel should always maintain certain connections to the original. That doesn't mean keep it 2D and in the same universe, it means make it recognizeable form the original. And if they are going to make it so different, for God's sake, don't call it a sequel - that's a whole new game! Even though some of you think that the FF series are all disconnected from each other, remember that there are some common elements that tie them all together; the summons are one. Even though they may differ from game to game, and are called different names (Eidolons, Summon Monsters, Guardian Forces, etc.) they tie the series together and could potentially could be utilized to finish it off. Less impotantly is Cid, who is in every one.

So what I'm suggesting is new, better, and satisfying to both returning and new customers. Throw in as many cutscenes and non-playable extras that you want, but make it something that people like me can also look at and say - wow, look at "your favorite character's name here" now, he's a bad mfer, or "finally I know what happened to Schala...".
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Neon_tm @ Nov. 05 2003,18:47)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"So???

Thats my opinion, and by the way i was being sarcastic,[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Oh... that's your opinion, but you were just being sarcastic? How interesting.

Also, if you want people to take you more seriously.. try to skip the "!!!"-style.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • Lin MayuLin Mayu Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (magusat999 @ Nov. 06 2003,15:30)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"So what I'm suggesting is new, better, and satisfying to both returning and new customers. Throw in as many cutscenes and non-playable extras that you want, but make it something that people like me can also look at and say - wow, look at "your favorite character's name here" now, he's a bad mfer, or "finally I know what happened to Schala...".[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    "<span class="spoiler">You played Chrono Cross and didn't know what happened to Schala? Shame on you.</span>"
  • Neon_tmNeon_tm Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Solon @ Nov. 06 2003,13:56)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    So???

Thats my opinion, and by the way i was being sarcastic,

Oh... that's your opinion, but you were just being sarcastic? How interesting.

Also, if you want people to take you more seriously.. try to skip the "!!!"-style.
    <span id='postcolor'>

Like i said sorry if some things don't make a lot of sense, but my mother language is NOT English is Spanish, I never took english classes The English that i Know Is because I learned it for the love that i have For RPG, something that much of you people don't even Know, is that The people here In Latin America that play RPG are TRUE Fans, because there has to be really a lot of likeness to something to learn an all new language TO/FROM playing a Game that you really like, and some times even some Japanese like in my case and other persons that i Know, in American there are sites that always read about news that X Game is so good or X game is not going to be Released in America But there is always the chance to IMPORT these games if you really want them, they say, or i read about the people that start a discusion of why X game is not going to be released.

In here In LatinAmerica The Usual and ONLY way to get Rpg's is Importing them, at least in my country , or the state that ?I live and this way isn't by any mean cheap, and the people that recure to import aren't millionaire neither (if you want them original that is, because you can always recur to piracy for the games that you want).So you have to Imagine that for someone to always have to recur to Import games to experience what you take for granted like go to the store in the mall next to your house and buy the game that have just being released.

The point of all this is that if i sometimes don't know a word, i use something that i think have some ?sort of resemblance to the one that i try to write so other people can understand what i want to say, so dont give me that F.... speach that "Oh... That's your opinion.... bla,bla,bla (you are really stupid), bla,bla,bla???
    how interesting."

P.S: i By any mean want to say that in others places or countrys including USA and Canada there aren't fans or true fans of rpg's i just wanted to make an example of whqt we have to overcome to play a game that we like. like All of you Like!!!

P.s: magusat999 sorry if i by any mean insulted you, now with the response that yo maked to what some people responded to your post including me, make me see with a little more clearness what you wanted to say and i have to say that even to a certain point i agree with you.

P.s: Solon i Hope that with what i just wroted at least you can even begin to take me more seriously, if not like we say in our country MALA LECHE!!!...

• Ashy PhoenixAshy Phoenix New Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    So ummm....hmmm. Like...hmmm. Well, it seems that the "narrow-minded viewpoints" have been covered. FFX bashing has been abundant. And there will be no FFXII in the next fiscal year.
    I find the FFX bashing particularly interesting, almost as interesting as the praising of FFIX (a game I did not complete, though I plan to do so at some point).

It seems many gamers here are not only unready for the next generation of games, but in fact, have not even adjusted to the theme of the main FF series: a new journey/story/battle system per game. Also interesting.

I have friends who only listen to 60's music, a trait which I have come to respect but ultimately find annoying. It's not that the 60's doesn't have a wealth of good music to explore; I agree it does. It's that they're still stuck on that same dream, that yellow submarine, still trapped in that same loop with a ball n' chain. They tell me it's for lack of artists that even compare to what was then.

I tell them they're not looking for artists, for new blood; what they're looking for is the same thing, just slightly upgraded: a Blizzard patch. There are many places to go for such things, that reanimation of the dead - hell, you can play them over again, pour over news, tidbits.

My point being, if one is looking for a more stagnant culture, than the FF series is not the place to do it.

I was told once, that at the point where the artist delivers completely to a sizable crowd of people and there are still a few naysayer's holding up their signs, it may not be the artists problem any more. It may have to do more with the player than the maker. Which is a hard thing to swallow - I'm not exactly a fan of, say, the boy bands. But they wouldn't be able to garner such a fanbase if there wasn't something to them. Maybe we should keep that in mind.
  • ZefyrZefyr Banned Banned Users
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid|Juravial @ Nov. 03 2003,04:15)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"They should just take their time and make the best Final Fantasy since VII. Thats what everyone wants.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I won't be a part of your rediculous blanket statement. ?On the contrary, I want the best Final Fantasy since IX. ?Thanks.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You don't want be part of Aed's "Blanket" Statement, so you reply to his statement and become part of it anyways. ?Please remember peeps, boards are 90% opinion. ?Many of them biased. ?I know this has been said before, and that me addressing it won't accomplish a thing in the long run. ?But, i feel i should say it anyway.

Stop bashing other peeps for expressing their opinions!! ?Opinionative discussion is what these boards are for in the first place, learn a little maturity people. ?Don't go into a rage just because someone downs your game. ?Just tell them why you think or know they are wrong =P. ?Ah well, no more from me on this subject. ?Just... be civilized, eh?

PS: ?And those of you who aren't plagued with this tempermental problem, just ignore my complaint. ?Although it's too late to just bypass the whole post. >=D Muhahaha

• NeuromancerNeuromancer Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    No matter what, there will always be people who hate a game that youy like, no matter who you are. Personaly, I think that FF7 is still the best FF game in terms of storyline and depth, but the battle system blew BIG time (Knights of the Round -> Mime), and that FF8 had the best love story and cutest chick in Rinoa. Of course, there ar people that disagree with me.

The ONE thing that I am certain everyone here will agree upon is that the main charachters have GOT to stop looking like girls! Have you seen the screenshots of Vaan from XII?? Gayest EVER! I mean seriously, what the hell is Square thinking with design like that??
  • komorebikomorebi New Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Vaan is sexy

ffxii will be a sexy sexy game

im glad all you homophobes will have to put up with Vaan if you wanna play
  • ScubaSteveScubaSteve New Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Like someone in this thread said, I think Enix is trying to get Dragon Warrior back in the spotlight in North America again. They pretty much started to put RPGs in the spotlight for the console gamer in the NES games. Being the owner of two of the worlds most popular RPG franshises, I doubt they want to try releasing them both at the same time (much like a studio won't release big budget movies on the same weekend). If I recall correctly, Dragon Warrior (and Enix games) are more popular in Japan than Square's offerings. And for the guy that was wondering if they're worth it, well, it would depend on what you look for. I've only played the first 4, but if you're into a pure RPG with little in the way of story and cutscenes at every corner, the series may be for you. The games are a little dull for these times, however, it all depends on the shortcomings you can look past. The games are a lot more challanging then any Final Fantasy post-NES, which in all honesty. Another game worth checking out (and the very first RPG I ever played) is Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar for the NES (had this one when I was 11). It's fairly easy as far as fighting goes, but as far as completing the game, it has the most challanging puzzles, and searches I've ever come across. It's a very open ended game in that you just need to become the "Avatar" (basically be good. The games were made like this as a result of the backlash on RPGs in that time seen as cauing violence, much like Eminem was a few years ago).

Final Fantasy XII? A delay, I couldn't care less about. There's plenty out there too keep me satisfied for a while. The character some of you are complaining about, he probably looks girlish because he's young (to appeal to the younger demographic). I kinda miss the styles of FF and FFVI. One was quick and to the point, and very tough. The remake on PSOne was nicely done, it fixed some of the flaws (such as being able to buy more than 1 potion at a time). FFVI? The only game since then to do a decent job of making the character's play differently for the duration of the game was FFIX, and it was fairly open ended in the 2nd world. Yeah, I'm a bit of an old school gamer =oP