If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Spam forum?

MetacodMetacod MemberFull Members
edited November 2003 in Site & Forum Support
Does anyone else think that there should be a "Spam" board section so that the post games ("Describe the person above you", etc.) don't push other things out of the Misc. section? I've seen several other boards that use that idea, and it works well.

Note that by "spam", I mean things like post games, not advertisments. I know those are banned by the rules; the post games obviously aren't, or they would be being locked.

Comments

• MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    GENIUS! PURE, UTTER, UNADULTERATED GENIUS!

Hey.... really now. It could work.

• FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited November 2003
    That's the purpose of the Misc topic though. To do whatever you want. I don't want to split up the Misc into different kinds of Misc. That's just messy.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Well, I got the idea from something that happened recently. ?I created a thread for a story I'm writing (see my sig) both here and at the other forums I visit. ?At the other forums, two out of three of which have separate Spam sections (the other had a "Writing" section), I got some good responses from people who'd actually read the story. ?But here, that didn't happen. ?Why? ?Becuase unlike the mindless game threads, my thread required you to read an entire 50+ page document to respond. ?Because of that, the thread was constantly being pushed to the second page, and the best response I got was LordBrian telling me that I shouldn't bump threads because "if a thread isn't getting responses, there's probably a reason". ?Personally, I think getting comments about something one has spent a lot of time writing is a lot more important than the two-thousanth description of the previous poster, and the same goes for other threads that require a bit more work or thought than the spammish games. ?

This probably won't affect your decision, but I just thought you might want to see where I got the idea that there should be a spam section.

• knightofhyruleknightofhyrule Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Personally, I think the Misc. forum is large enough to warrant a split. Plus, I'm really getting tired of wading through all the "post one word" game thread things to get to the serious debates and what not.
  • Lin MayuLin Mayu Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I think having a separate "forum games" section would not be a bad idea, since there are now so friggin' MANY of them going on. It'd probably be bigger than the Role Playing section...
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited November 2003
    If a spam forum weren't created for those threads, then I think the post game threads should be locked. They are as much of a nuisance as other spam.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    There's already way too many forums here to begin with. Some of them already need to be merged if you ask me. I think instead of making a new forum for stuff like forum games and those stupid online quizzes, they should just be against the rules and locked on sight.
  • JessiahJessiah Banned Banned Users
    edited November 2003
    Ever since you got your title you have been an angry little fellow.
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    Not entirely sure what you think was angry about that post. It was just my opinion, and on top of that I don't think I sounded all that indignant. And furthermore, if I have been more of a jerk lately I can't see how my title has anything to do with it. Enlighten me please.
    edited November 2003
    I sid angry little fellow not jerk they happen to be two different words. Also before you got your title I never saw you say the quizzes and games were stupid you even participated in a few of them, also every post you made in my " guess the movie " thread was to yell at other boardies because the bended the rules.
  • happytownhappytown Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jessiah @ Nov. 08 2003,09:05)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Ever since you got your title you have been an angry little fellow.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Really, he's always been like that. He just hides it most of the time so people don't take away his candy.

Actually, I agree with the idea of a seperate area or even locking down those game threads. They've just gotten way out of hand. I know that I've participated in them in the past, but there's a point when something like this should be stopped. They're hampering the amount of intelligent debate that occurs on these boards.

BTW, Metacod, I have been reading your story, but I haven't had a chance to finish it yet. I'll send you some opinions when I'm done.
  • SilentwolfSilentwolf Only Silence Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I'm all for a split... there is far too much in the misc thread and I think it warrants a split, more for convieniance than much else.
    Every sailor knows the tale
    of those becalmed at sea
    though at peace they can be found
    at peace they never be.
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Really, he's always been like that. He just hides it most of the time so people don't take away his candy.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Oh so true. I think I require no further explanation here. Thanks Happy.
    edited November 2003
    *as Mr.Slave* oh Jeezus Chriiist.....
  • ArdeaArdea Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Wouldn't having a whole section of the boards devoted to these games just encourage more of them to be created?
    Heron Heron Heron
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    A)Ardea's right. A whole section of the board would encourage that. It might be a tiny bit of bandwidth when all is said and done, but would RPGamer really want to go out of it's way to encourage the types of 2000 one word or one line posts that just waste space and look ugly? I, for one, tend to look around a board when I first arrive. Taking into account the total post count on the board, If I see giant spam boards representing most of it and then find them to be one word games, I generally move on. It usually is a sign that there's not much, if any, intelligent discussion to be found on that forum.
    B)Assuming you don't split it, having those sorts of games happening in the misc section quickly drowns out any other random discussions. Metacod is right in being annoyed. When there is enough stuff there that an average topic's time in the spotlight can be measured in hours, it's time to cut down on some of the junk and filter it through other communication paths. There are almost enough of those one line spammy topics that something like misc writing can easily get pushed to the bottom before a full day has passed and there is even a reasonable of opportunity to notice it was there (unless you just happen to assume there was something of notice there and hunt back a page or two. I don't think most do). A real suggestion would be to 'suggest' those doing that take it to a chatroom (IIRC there is an RPGamer chatroom on efnet(?), why not a spam room there where some of the more hyperactive members of the board could be encouraged to go and get it out of their systems). This way the misc can continue to be used for everything without being totally overwhelmed by the quick one word-one line post topics.

Dracos
  • EddEdd Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I agree, we had that 'Does God Exist?' discussion that was really enjoyable a few months back that started life as another topic but once it got moved to the misc. section that was the death of it because it got choked by forum games and morons destroying the flow by going 'hey you guys should lighten up and stop arguing'

Is there no way there could be a seperate section for spam that doesn't get counted as part of the total post count?
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    a) Why would total post count matter since it's no longer visible to the plebeians?

b) Why don't people just use the New Post search, which practically ensures that a semi-active discussion will still receive notice, even in a forum in which it is back on the second or third page because of other activity?
    edited November 2003
    I really dont think that you should lock the forum games. After all this is a gaming message board its not mensa, intellectual debate is fine and if those topics keep slipping back the reason is that not everybody wants to sit around act snooty and throw out words that they just learned from a thesaurus.
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Yikes, that was an ugly blanket statement if I've ever read one.
    edited November 2003
    Have you been smothered by the 100% cottony goodness of my blanket statement? confused.gif
    edited November 2003
    Rico ? Well, I certainly do use it, but I don't think most people do, and it'd be hard to get that message across to hundreds and hundreds of active members.
    Jessiah ? You remind me more and more of Lord Dycedarg every day... wink.gif
    edited November 2003
    After Lord Dycedarg pulled his stunt every newcomer after that got accused of being him, give it a rest already.Chances are hes lurking around laughing about the huge fuss/mess/ordeal he made...
    edited November 2003
    I'm just joking around. But all your criticism of psuedo-intellectuals and stuff really does remind me of him.
    edited November 2003
    Its not that I hate them or anything its just that a board devoted to videogames isn't exactly the best place to dicuss " the meaning of existence" and other such topics, so I hate when people complain about there being to many game topics.
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jessiah @ Nov. 09 2003,19:25)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Its not that I hate them or anything its just that a board devoted to videogames isn't exactly the best place to dicuss " the meaning of existence" and other such topics[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Why not? Intellectual topics have been quite successful here, at least until recently.

And you could, by the same logic, say that a board about video games isn't the place for word ascociation games and the like.
    edited November 2003
    Most of the "debate" is little more than flaming and asserting biased opinions (like mine) Anyway let me simulate 80% of the ?intellectual debate? that goes on here.

Person.A- Stupid?
    Person.B- Boorish troll?.I used a bigger word than you therefore I win.
    Person.A- (insert a page of wordy stuff here) You are a jerk.
    Person.C- stop fighting you guys
    Lord Brian or Rico- *locks thread* and

Actually that seems kind of blankety but it gets my feeble point across clearly enough.
  • happytownhappytown Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Actually, there used to be some very intelligent debate around here on a regular basis. And it wasn't all simply confined to what you just mentioned. We really haven't seen much of it lately at all.
    edited November 2003
    well from my month or so of being here thats all Ive seen. You can thank Thedarkone4 for helping to shape my opinion of the "debate" around here. Im sure there are loads of intelligent people here with smart things to discuss but most of what I have seen is random flaming and people throwing around big words in an attempt to sound smart.
  • THEDARKONE4THEDARKONE4 Banned Banned Users
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jessiah @ Nov. 09 2003,19:56)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"well from my month or so of being here thats all Ive seen. You can thank Thedarkone4 for helping to shape my opinion of the "debate" around here. Im sure there are loads of intelligent people here with smart things to discuss but most of what I have seen is random flaming and people throwing around big words in an attempt to sound smart.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Just had to drag me into it, didn't you?

It's amazing how I created the stupid thread thread and all of ya'll yelled at me for calling topics stupid, but here you are calling topics stupid. Isn't that strange? sarcasm.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"random flaming and people throwing around big words[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    That wasn't me. I had a rant about people using the big words and the flaming. So don't put my name in it. Word, homie, G, cuz, dawg, foshizzle. alien.gif