If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Favorite Combat System

2»

Comments

• ArayaAraya Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Its all about Legend of Legaia's battle system, the input combo system was just plain great.

Xenogears system was also really good.
  • Pheonix415Pheonix415 Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Breath of Fire 5, for sure. This games battle system actually demanded a certain amount of strategy per battle. And even when I was out of battle I had to use strategy just in case I entered battle.

Close second, Legend of Legaia. The first one, not the second one. The second one was a farse and a failure. Its like the little brother that you dont like not because he's your little brother. But because he feels unfinished, its like the parents failed.
  • HotRodimusPrimeHotRodimusPrime New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Grandia 2 and Star Ocean 2 with out question
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I'd have to say either Grandia II or Xtreme. I can't decide.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • L StencilL Stencil Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    The best battle system is that, that doesn't have to do with active-time. the down side to active-time battles is you have to know what your goign to do before your turn comes up, and if you get into a rush panic you can easily make the wrong move which sucks when you have to fight a awsome boss all over again. Turn base battle systems like in FFX i think are awsome but haveing multiple battle syatems is cool with different games like grandia II.
  • DragonsoulDragonsoul Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    My favorite would have to be FFX. It just required so much thought--you couldn't just plow through with a few blows. You actually had to think about the characters and swap them in and out to best deal with the enemies. I liked being about to think through it. More strategic.

A runner-up would have to be CT. The combo system was just so fun!
  • deepfrydeepfry New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I've liked a lot of the battle systems people have mentioned (Legend of Legaia, FFT, FFX-2, Disgaea), but my favourite would probably have to be the CTB from FFX. It's the system that suits my style of play best, and I liked being able to swap characters in and out as necessary, seeing what effect my actions would have on when my characters would act next, and the fact that you can scroll through three levels of menus and not be killed in the process because you forgot where the one spell that you wanted to cast was located. smile.gif

I also liked elements of Unlimited:SaGa's system: the fact that you choose what you want to do before the battle begins, then depending on what skills your character has you can improve the attack if you get a good roll on the Reel. That and once you learn how to combo properly battles become a lot more engaging.