If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy XII

razafystrazafyst MemberFull Members
edited November 2003 in Latest Updates
Well, here's something new.

Final 12

Enjoi everyone!

Comments

• EvaNgeLioNEvaNgeLioN Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Wow, it is much more fantasy-like than I was expecting. Kind of, so much as I can tell, a cross between FFXI, FFVI and FFIX. The characters look pretty cool.
  • Neon_tmNeon_tm Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I'l be waiting for more info of this game to make a real opinion!!

At least looks kinda cool the two main characters and the FFXII logo!!!

• ViandrotoViandroto New Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    "Square recently revealed the first solid details about Final Fantasy XII through the Japanese publication Dorimaga. In an interview with the magazine, Yasumi Matsuno, the game's producer, stated that some of the gameplay elements in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for the Game Boy Advance would be also used in Final Fantasy XII for the PlayStation 2. Though he refused to comment on official information regarding this revelation, he encouraged gamers to play both games in order to get the full story.

Some of the game's primary developers were also revealed in the magazine article. Jun Akiyama, known for his work in Final Fantasy VII, will be the production supervisor; Akihiko Yoshida, character designer for Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story, will take the role of character designer and 3D map designer; and Hideo Minaba, who worked on Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy IX, will be serving as art director."

I just felt like bringing this up with my post, because I can already see the differences of other Final Fantasy's... Seems like it'll be a mixture of FFIX & Tactics Advanced, at least the way the designs tell me... But the game seems to give a hint of FFX too for some reason... I almost thought that girl was Yuna... And the guy comes off as Tidus... Bleh, when are they gonna start making same sex love storys?! lol...

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention... IS THERE A FRICKIN' BANGAA IN THE 3RD PICTURE OR IS IT JUST ME?!

• kaserdankaserdan Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Viandroto @ Nov. 13 2003,18:28)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"But the game seems to give a hint of FFX too for some reason... I almost thought that girl was Yuna... And the guy comes off as Tidus...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Me too. I even though they hired Nomura out of nowhere, even though I knew for quite some time that the character designer of Final Fantasy Tactics was working on it.
  • LewinLewin Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Looks like a cross between a Nu Mou and a Bangaa to me. Hard to say at this point. But they could be saying that they've just brought the races from FFTA to FFXII. Personally, I'd prefer to see the strategic elements brought forward and then streamlined a bit.

Is it just me, or does the guy in that picture have a really effiminate face?
  • -Locke--Locke- Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    again the character design LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME, ever since 7 they've been reusing the same characters and change minor things. and it doesnt even just happen with the FF games, The Bouncers main character which i like to call "Sqould" is cross between cloud and squall. It's terrible, i kind of tolerated VII, i hated VIII, IX was above average, X just plain sucked, now XII looks to be like the same old rehash of X with a different storyline and setting....and possibly a suped up battle sysem. In my mind Final Fantasy is dead, they just keep using it's name and themes...but forgot about the soul.
  • Daemonic_AngelDaemonic_Angel Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    bad message boards!!!*Beats on message boards* Evil, evil Message boards *Breaks message boards* oops i shouldnt have done that...

on a more serious note I think the characters have a much younger look than the previous games...and i hope the magic system is good.
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    By just looking at the pictures you can tell that this game is gonna be cool. The characters look awsome, but the guy has a kinda girly face to him. Can't wait to know what the story gonna be about. It's got that final fantasy VI/IX look to me. And YUP..that appears to be a Bangaa alright biggrin.gif
  • RemixRunixLPRemixRunixLP New Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lewin @ Nov. 13 2003,21:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Is it just me, or does the guy in that picture have a really effiminate face?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Definitly thought the same thing, and this seems to be a trend with Square and having at least one guy like that in every game lately(Gatta, Kuja, etc.)...but who cares?!?! ITS FFXII!!! This game definitly looks like a combo of IX and X. I thought for a second i was looking at a more advanced Lindblum with FFX chars wandering the streets.
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Locke,

I'd like to agree with that, but I have had a mild revelation lately in going back over the Final fantasy games that I had considered "sub-par," and I think the problem that I had with them was simply that I went into the game with expectations. Certainly not a crime, but it really took away from the game when I was unable to appreciate them for their own merits.

I still feel, though, that the series is MUCH better off without Tetsuya "Switch the Hair and Call it Good" Nomura...Kingdom Hearts is much more suited for him and his style. What I wouldn't give for just ONE more game with characters PURELY realized by Amano!
  • bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    FF in my mind is still going strong with what looks to be another great addition in the series. what people forget is that while change is new and refreshing, especially in characters, its not always a good thing. I would have preferred chrono cross, which is a good game, to have been more like its predecessor. Same deal with Suikoden III, the graphics and style made it feel like it should not have belonged in the Suikoden series, in the words of Garth from Wayne's World, "we fear change". not that i want the same rehashed game again and again, but its best that sequels and followups do not stray too much from the original.
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
  • KeythKeyth Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I think they look quite different from Nomura's style(Which is a good thing even though I love his work.)The guy anyway. He does look effeminate but not as much as Kuja did, IMO. The girl's kinda lookin' too ho(no offense to hoes) for my taste but I'll reserve judgment on her till I see how her personality is. She does look a bit like Yuna though, I agree. I'm pumped about XII now.
  • QuazarQuazar Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Well, I still think the game is promising because of its development team, but this picture bugs me... where as the original poster was awesome.

First of all, it bears a bit too much of a resemblance to FFX. I'm not a big fan of FFX, although it was a good game. We have 2 FFX games now. It's enough. Time to change.

The only other problem I have is the character designs. I don't like them. I'm getting sick of Nomura's designs. He should just stick with his Kingdom Hearts series from now on. Yet supposedly those aren't his? Well, they look a lot like his, and they don't look "fantasy".

Remember, Nomura hasn't ever designed characters for an old-school FANTASY FF game. All of his designs have been for more modern-style games. And if those are his designs, then I don't like his take on "Fantasy". Either way, can't change the design team at this point... I think the main male character is goofy-looking... and the girl is very young-looking. They both have chubby cheeks. I don't like that. I want the guy I'm playing as to look either a) cool, or b) cool in a goofy way. This guy is neither.

Anyway, with the team that's behind it, I'm still very optimistic. I think I'm gonna just wait and see what gets shown on November 19th.

Quazar
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (-Locke- @ Nov. 13 2003,19:24)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"again the character design LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME, ever since 7 they've been reusing the same characters and change minor things. and it doesnt even just happen with the FF games, The Bouncers main character which i like to call "Sqould" is cross between cloud and squall. It's terrible, i kind of tolerated VII, i hated VIII, IX was above average, X just plain sucked, now XII looks to be like the same old rehash of X with a different storyline and setting....and possibly a suped up battle sysem. In my mind Final Fantasy is dead, they just keep using it's name and themes...but forgot about the soul.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I find it amusing that the people who prefer the older FF games where supposedly "graphics didn't matter as much" always criticize the newer ones' graphics first. What qualifies you to determine what the 'soul' of Final Fantasy is? Sounds like a truckload of conceit to me. Please Locke, tell me another one, you're hysterical. biggrin.gif
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • CetusCetus Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Wow, amazing it looks very promising and looks to offer something new. Since a different dude is doing the art for this FF instead of the one from FFX one could expect the characters having sort of a new appeal towards them, I look foward to see more while time passes, it looks friggin great though.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Quazar @ Nov. 13 2003,23:20)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The only other problem I have is the character designs. I don't like them. I'm getting sick of Nomura's designs. He should just stick with his Kingdom Hearts series from now on. Yet supposedly those aren't his? Well, they look a lot like his, and they don't look "fantasy".[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Tetsuya Nomura has had no involvement in this game. ?As such, he couldn't have designed the characters. ?In case you forgot, he has been working on Kingdom Hearts II. ?I doubt he'd have the time to be involved in the development of two games being developed at the same time.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Nov. 13 2003,20:54)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (-Locke- @ Nov. 13 2003,19:24)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"again the character design LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME, ever since 7 they've been reusing the same characters and change minor things. and it doesnt even just happen with the FF games, The Bouncers main character which i like to call "Sqould" is cross between cloud and squall. It's terrible, i kind of tolerated VII, i hated VIII, IX was above average, X just plain sucked, now XII looks to be like the same old rehash of X with a different storyline and setting....and possibly a suped up battle sysem. In my mind Final Fantasy is dead, they just keep using it's name and themes...but forgot about the soul.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I find it amusing that the people who prefer the older FF games where supposedly "graphics didn't matter as much" always criticize the newer ones' graphics first. What qualifies you to determine what the 'soul' of Final Fantasy is? Sounds like a truckload of conceit to me. Please Locke, tell me another one, you're hysterical. biggrin.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    can you say final fantasy X fanboy? why do 16 yr olds make accouts just to make a few posts to insult people? go away troll.
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    sexy.jpg

HitItBaby.gif

...Seriously though, when the hell are they going to start putting MEN back into RPG's I'm getting sick of all this like ninny boy crap, and Final Fantasy isn't the only offender.
  • Red RavenRed Raven Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I want the guy I'm playing as to look either a) cool, or b) cool in a goofy way.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Who is to say that you're going to be playing as the guy? After all, the girl is the one with the sword.

That said, I feel compelled to mention Ashe (the girl) is wearing quite possibly the shortest skirt I have seen in a videogame, ever. I mean, is it even possible for it to be shorter and still considered "clothing"? I thought MOMO had it bad, but this outrageously fanservice fantasy-skirt is shorter by at least one or two inches. She may as well just be wearing a G-string or something - although I imagine we will be knowing that particular detail for certain whenever she attempts to move or sit during cutscenes and/or battles.

? -Red Raven
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    I think it would be cool if Tidus was a playable charactor towards the end of the game even though Auron was the coolest charactor in FFX
  • RumikoholicRumikoholic Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Raven @ Nov. 13 2003,22:33)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I want the guy I'm playing as to look either a) cool, or b) cool in a goofy way.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Who is to say that you're going to be playing as the guy? After all, the girl is the one with the sword.

That said, I feel compelled to mention Ashe (the girl) is wearing quite possibly the shortest skirt I have seen in a videogame, ever. I mean, is it even possible for it to be shorter and still considered "clothing"? I thought MOMO had it bad, but this outrageously fanservice fantasy-skirt is shorter by at least one or two inches. She may as well just be wearing a G-string or something - although I imagine we will be knowing that particular detail for certain whenever she attempts to move or sit during cutscenes and/or battles.

? -Red Raven[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    ::LOL:: I wouldn't put it past 'em! ?Don't you remember the hero from Vagrant Story? ?He wore like, knee-high metal boots, some weird thigh guards, and had a piece of dental floss up his butt. ?Feel free to speculate how it turned black. -_-

I, personally, don't like this artist's style. ?And the reason the boy looks girlly is becuase he and the girl have the same head. ?Just different hair. ?Maybe he's a gender bender..? ?After all, the (male) hero from VS was named Ashe...

Also, Squaresoft is anti-gay. ?In just about every modern game they've made, since like 6, one major villain's been a fruitcake. ?Kefka, Sephiroth (The one walking around killing people. ?Not the one from Cloud's past), Seifer (He never actually dated Rinoa. ?Just showed her around and made her feel "special"), Kuja, and Seymour. ?8 also had Adel, who was NOT a woman!! ?She was bare-chested and clearly had man-boobs.

Prettyboys are important to stories. ?Women want beefcake as much as men want to watch Lulu shake her boobs in the camera.

I bet the heros of this story are twins. ?At least, I hope they are, considering... ?That would be an interesting and cool development.

edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jgrabow @ Nov. 13 2003,23:02)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I think it would be cool if Tidus was a playable charactor towards the end of the game even though Auron was the coolest charactor in FFX[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Pfft!! There wasn't a single cool cahracter in FF X. It was bland and the overall hopelessness of the stroyline just made the entire thing drag on forever. -_- I did like the ending, though.

"<span class="spoiler">Tragic romances are the best.</span>"
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Wow...I'm amazed at the number of people ready to declare this the worst Final Fantasy ever based on...a two page spread with nothing but character names and screen shots?!

I'd like to see the game in motion before I go off declaring it evil. Then again, my tastes in the series have always been blasphemous, so I suppose it's only natural my reaction to images is as well.

As for the guy...he really makes me think of Zidane. That could be good or bad, considering 9 was my least favorite game in the series (told you I was a heretic).
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • AaediyenAaediyen Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    They dont look that bad at all, why was RPGamer reluctant to post the pictures? Besides, it will probably look much different on November 19th when we get our first real taste. After the 19th if you still feel like this, THEN it's time to worry.
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rebochan @ Nov. 13 2003,23:28)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Wow...I'm amazed at the number of people ready to declare this the worst Final Fantasy ever based on...a two page spread with nothing but character names and screen shots?!

I'd like to see the game in motion before I go off declaring it evil. ?Then again, my tastes in the series have always been blasphemous, so I suppose it's only natural my reaction to images is as well.

As for the guy...he really makes me think of Zidane. ?That could be good or bad, considering 9 was my least favorite game in the series (told you I was a heretic).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    9 was my least favorite, too. tounge.gif I don't think it'll be bad. ?I just think the artist sucks. ?Personally, I wouldn't mind watching the heroine bend over, either. laugh.gif

In general, people don't speak-up when they like something. ?Only when they object to it. ?For every whiner or complainer, there are about a thousand enthusiastic fans salivating at the chance to pick this game up. ?I'm really looking forward to seeing how it turns out. ?The heros are never my favorites of RPG casts. ?I'm sure they'll have someone intersting here or there. ?Or at least a great minigame. ?After all, I only beat X (accidentally) while trying to get enough money to play my 200th hour of Blitzball. GO BOTTA!! laugh.gif

Oddly enough, X was definitely an exception, as I liked Tidus more than any of the other characters... Besides Lulu, when she was moving.

edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaediyen @ Nov. 13 2003,23:56)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"They dont look that bad at all, why was RPGamer reluctant to post the pictures? Besides, it will probably look much different on November 19th when we get our first real taste. After the 19th if you still feel like this, THEN it's time to worry.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Probably because of the 19th. It's so close. Nothing will actually be offically confirmed until then, right? I understand a few people in charge talked a bit about it, but there's nothing really here to make it news-worthy. Lumping it all together would probably make for easier updates, too.
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Raven @ Nov. 13 2003,22:33)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I want the guy I'm playing as to look either a) cool, or b) cool in a goofy way.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

? -Red Raven[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    you sound like my girlfriend
  • TeresaTeresa Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Where is the person from the poster, the cool looking one with the black hair and what looked like a light saber? WHO ARE THESE FFX CLONES?!? *sigh* And why is the girl wearing a mini skirt...:(
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Teresa @ Nov. 14 2003,00:19)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Where is the person from the poster, the cool looking one with the black hair and what looked like a light saber? ?WHO ARE THESE FFX CLONES?!? ?*sigh* ?And why is the girl wearing a mini skirt...:([/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I dunno. There aren't any. And, the same reason the boy isn't wearing a shirt. tounge.gif
  • Demon_of_ElruDemon_of_Elru Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    OK, the main guy looks just like Zidane, Squall, Tidus and Cloud..... with an extra dose of "gayness" thrown in. I mean COME ON!!!!

Please god I hope this isn't another FFX.... PEASE!!!!~~~

I want an original game, with original characters. I agree with someone who posted earlier, that the FF series has been dieing and is most probably dead now after FF7. I thought FF8 was OK, but I dont want another one. FF9 was just boring for me, the story was crap. As for FFX, it was just annoying.

I originaly had really high hopes for this game after seeing the propagander(spelling >.<) screnes, it looked more original and the people in picture had a much more darker, real kinda "Vagrant Story" look to them. .........whats happened to that??

Oh well, in my opinion FF7 was the peak acheivment in Squares life. I think its safe to say that where not gonna get anything better than it, or as good as. But instead of just making "decent" RPG games, they start going all wierd and making "gay" games. I mean whats with FFX-2? and from the look of these FFXII characters, who are a basic ripp-off of the past games, it doesn't look like anything new or original is gonna come outta it.