If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy XII

Comments

• RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Knew I'd find this if I checked the archives long enough...this RPGWorld comic perfectly sums up many of the reactions here.

http://www.rpgworldcomic.com/d/20030907.html
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • Demon_of_ElruDemon_of_Elru Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Please refrain from using the word "gay" in the fashion that you are. It makes look like a jack ass when you do. I don't see anything happy about the game either, so the traditional definition of gay wouldn't work in this case either.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

wtf!?!? Thats why I'm not using the traditional definition jack-ass.

I meant "gay" in the pansy, camp, queer, faggy type of gay. Because thats the way that best describes those characters. whats with everyone trying to hide this word? Shall I say another word? Since when has that word been so bad? I aint got nothing against gays, it just gets annoying when it starts taking over the RPG world.

Whats happened to having actual normal 'proper' men like, dark characters which may actually hold a true compelling story? why do they all have to be this faggy type character?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Why do people think square have died after FF7, there still making games arn't they?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

wtf!!?? Quality! Storyline! Character depth! they've all died, now Final Fantasy is just a money machine that seems to be going overboard with squeezing every-last piece of money they can outta a game. Which is perfect sense business wise, but the games lack depth in what the FF series used to have. Hence, "square have died since FF7". Now the games are just polished up cheap stories, with characters that show alot of skin so they can sell more hentai comics.

Now as for people saying "Well how do you know about these games being the way you describe them?" well thats easy, we bought them and played them, all because we wanted to play a good RPG. Now who better than to make good RPGs than Square? with past titles like FF7, FF6 etc? Thats the reason we have bought and played them, all due to the past games the company have made. Soon the past name games wont be able to pull them through. The next generation of RPG players in this world I actually feel sorry for. RPGs are amazing games. Now its been overtaken by the money-making world, and sadly the new RPG games will be affected. No more will you find a game thats production is driven by a truely brilliant storyline, or total spirit of the production team who have a vision to create a great RPG. The new generation RPG gamers may not understand this.

Overall, Square ...sorry Square-Enix will be happy with the games, cause they will sell millions of copies world-wide, but for people who want to play an RPG that doesn't involve a storyline that revolves around characters that have no clothes. ......well those days are past with Final Fantasy.
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Wow...what a bunch of chaos over what should be a really cool announcement. Seriously, giving one's opinion is one thing, but why does it have to be a flame fest any time someone says "Final fantasy IX was a return to the TRUE Final fantasy" or "Final fantasy VII is the best FF ever?"

While maintaining a very tight formula, each game has always had its own personality. I don't think that Square is going to lose much sleep over how much people dislike one from another for a few reasons.

Number one, it is their project...they don't owe anyone anything. Final Fantasy is a work of art, and will always fall to the illustration of those that wish to express their craft, be it Nobuo Uematsu, Hirnobu Sakaguchi, Tetsuya Nomura, Yoshitaka Amano, etc. They can turn out whatever they want because it is their game.

Number two: There will always be a market for the games. One group of people may not like one game, but that is a small part of the magic of the series: there is at least one game for everyone! People can take the more anime-styled V or VII, the more Renaissance VI, a more futuristic VIII, or even a game that takes the icons of the series and forms a whole story around them like IX.

This should be a GOOD thing!

Number three, Square has given a LOT of us out here a TON of happy hours of gaming...lost in worlds as diverse as they are comfortably familiar. Is it even fair to rag on them now, especially after seeing what, five screens and three scans?

Number four, these games, if you will appreciate them for their own merits instead of going into them with expectations about what you THINK they should be, end up growing on you.

Case in point, I was pretty disgusted with IX for what I thought was nothing but a shameless collection of Squaresoft themes thrown into one game that, at the TIME, smacked of rush-job to me. I didn't see it as a return to the series' roots, I saw it as a means of taking the least bit of effort to create new material with poorly designed characters.

That's changed, because I realize that unless I make the game myself, it is never going to come out how I think it should. Then I can actually look at the game with a clean slate and now? Final Fantasy IX is right up there on my list, now. It has an awesome story and it utilizes those characters I thought to previously be "stupid" to the fullest extents of their personalities in a single yet combined stroke of comic and dramatic genius. Yes, I said genius.

But again, that is just my opinion. My main point is that someone should be able to appreciate these games no matter what the mainstream crowd decides to toss on them with their chamber pots from "up on high." If you enjoy the game, if it appeals to you, then I say go for it...love it up, take all you can from it and squeeze every last drop of gameplay out of it that you can! If you don't like it, then don't like it...hey, even say so, just allow others the same courtesy.

The world is full of enough crap as it is. You don't need to make someone feel like garbage for the games they decide to play to either enjoy their time, revel in a great story, or escape from reality for a few blessed hours. It's all a matter of a little thing called respect, and we're all capable of that.

Ok, off for another trip into FFTA...take care until later, everyone!
  • TadrithTadrith Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Kidaru, your last post was highly inappropriate. I suggest you stop before you are forcibly stopped.

Consider this your warning.

• Liquid IceLiquid Ice Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RemixRunixLP @ Nov. 13 2003,19:27)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lewin @ Nov. 13 2003,21:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Is it just me, or does the guy in that picture have a really effiminate face?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Definitly thought the same thing, and this seems to be a trend with Square and having at least one guy like that in every game lately(Gatta, Kuja, etc.)...but who cares?!?! ITS FFXII!!! This game definitly looks like a combo of IX and X. I thought for a second i was looking at a more advanced Lindblum with FFX chars wandering the streets.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    exately, I thought it was a girl when i saw the thumbnail pic at ign. another thing. It looks like it borrowed heavily from the character and clothing designes from FFX.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Once again it starts...

Okay I'm going to be as clear and concise about this possible.

Gay isn't the word to describe those characters, because none of them are homosexual. I don't care what yaoi fangirls say. The reason we object to your use of the word is because it doesn't fit. Period. Grow up. Better yet, buy a dictionary. I think you might find it enlightening to expand your vocabulary.

I didn't say that you didn't play the games. What I said was, you didn't give a clear reason why you didn't like it. You still haven't. You said FF IX's story was crap. How was it crap? Explain. You said FF X was annoying. How so? What was wrong with FF VIII that you don't want another one? What was so great about the earlier FF's? Where does your hatred stem from? Don't insult my intelligence because I don't believe an evil fairy came along and cursed the Final Fantasy series after VII was released.

As for your skimpy clothes comment, it's quite evident you never played IV and VI. Rydia is wearing basically an evening gown. Celes is wearing a leotard with a cape over it. Terra has a really short skirt with white pantyhose. Quit contradicting yourself.

Money has always been one of the root reasons behind Final Fantasy. If I recall correctly, the reason behind the name was because Square was running out of money, and they thought that would be their final game. Hence the word 'Final.' RPG's have always been this popular in Japan. Where have you been?

Like I said, use logic to determine your opinions, and I might take you more seriously.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • -Locke--Locke- Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Raven @ Nov. 14 2003,07:02)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (-Locke- @ Nov. 13 2003,23:24)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"why do 16 yr olds make accouts just to make a few posts to insult people? go away troll.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (-Locke- @ Nov. 14 2003,01:14)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"you sound like my girlfriend[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

8l

? -Red Raven[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    note: i've been on this forum for 3 years, i'm 21, and you actually do sound like my g/f....complaining about short skirts in video games. however i wasnt insulting you :p

but i can see the hypocrisy there.
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (King Jowy XXII @ Nov. 14 2003,15:11)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Wow...what a bunch of chaos over what should be a really cool announcement. ?Seriously, giving one's opinion is one thing, but why does it have to be a flame fest any time someone says "Final fantasy IX was a return to the TRUE Final fantasy" or "Final fantasy VII is the best FF ever?"

While maintaining a very tight formula, each game has always had its own personality. ?I don't think that Square is going to lose much sleep over how much people dislike one from another for a few reasons. ?

Number one, it is their project...they don't owe anyone anything. ?Final Fantasy is a work of art, and will always fall to the illustration of those that wish to express their craft, be it Nobuo Uematsu, Hirnobu Sakaguchi, Tetsuya Nomura, Yoshitaka Amano, etc. ?They can turn out whatever they want because it is their game. ?

Number two: There will always be a market for the games. ?One group of people may not like one game, but that is a small part of the magic of the series: there is at least one game for everyone! ?People can take the more anime-styled V or VII, the more Renaissance VI, a more futuristic VIII, or even a game that takes the icons of the series and forms a whole story around them like IX.

This should be a GOOD thing!

Number three, Square has given a LOT of us out here a TON of happy hours of gaming...lost in worlds as diverse as they are comfortably familiar. ?Is it even fair to rag on them now, especially after seeing what, five screens and three scans?

Number four, these games, if you will appreciate them for their own merits instead of going into them with expectations about what you THINK they should be, end up growing on you. ?

Case in point, I was pretty disgusted with IX for what I thought was nothing but a shameless collection of Squaresoft themes thrown into one game that, at the TIME, smacked of rush-job to me. ?I didn't see it as a return to the series' roots, I saw it as a means of taking the least bit of effort to create new material with poorly designed characters.

That's changed, because I realize that unless I make the game myself, it is never going to come out how I think it should. ?Then I can actually look at the game with a clean slate and now? ?Final Fantasy IX is right up there on my list, now. ?It has an awesome story and it utilizes those characters I thought to previously be "stupid" to the fullest extents of their personalities in a single yet combined stroke of comic and dramatic genius. ?Yes, I said genius.

But again, that is just my opinion. ?My main point is that someone should be able to appreciate these games no matter what the mainstream crowd decides to toss on them with their chamber pots from "up on high." ?If you enjoy the game, if it appeals to you, then I say go for it...love it up, take all you can from it and squeeze every last drop of gameplay out of it that you can! ?If you don't like it, then don't like it...hey, even say so, just allow others the same courtesy.

The world is full of enough crap as it is. ?You don't need to make someone feel like garbage for the games they decide to play to either enjoy their time, revel in a great story, or escape from reality for a few blessed hours. ?It's all a matter of a little thing called respect, and we're all capable of that.

Ok, off for another trip into FFTA...take care until later, everyone![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Good sir, you summed up my opinions on this issue precisely.
    Keep up the good work! smile.gif
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Nov. 14 2003,15:24)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Once again it starts...

Okay I'm going to be as clear and concise about this possible.

Gay isn't the word to describe those characters, because none of them are homosexual. I don't care what yaoi fangirls say. The reason we object to your use of the word is because it doesn't fit. Period. Grow up. Better yet, buy a dictionary. I think you might find it enlightening to expand your vocabulary.

I didn't say that you didn't play the games. What I said was, you didn't give a clear reason why you didn't like it. You still haven't. You said FF IX's story was crap. How was it crap? Explain. You said FF X was annoying. How so? What was wrong with FF VIII that you don't want another one? What was so great about the earlier FF's? Where does your hatred stem from? Don't insult my intelligence because I don't believe an evil fairy came along and cursed the Final Fantasy series after VII was released.

As for your skimpy clothes comment, it's quite evident you never played IV and VI. Rydia is wearing basically an evening gown. Celes is wearing a leotard with a cape over it. Terra has a really short skirt with white pantyhose. Quit contradicting yourself.

Money has always been one of the root reasons behind Final Fantasy. If I recall correctly, the reason behind the name was because Square was running out of money, and they thought that would be their final game. Hence the word 'Final.' RPG's have always been this popular in Japan. Where have you been?

Like I said, use logic to determine your opinions, and I might take you more seriously.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    gay IS the correct word for for characters like Squall....Tidus..ect. back when men were men and video game characters still had manly haircuts main characters used to kick ass and never have the "head trauma" or as i like to refer to it as "square syndrome", ie Cloud, Squall, Fei...and so on. and without being homophobic i can state that Tidus "looks" gay. nobody wants a pu**y for a main character.

credit for what some of i said goes to this man: http://maddox.xmission.com/contra3_owns.html
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Good sir, you summed up my opinions on this issue precisely.
    Keep up the good work![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Thank you, Slayer. Your words are very much appreciated.
    edited November 2003
    Did it ever occur to you that people have different standards than you do? What you consider "gay" somebody else doesn't. By golly! Someone on this pebble doesn't adhere to your standards! The last time I checked, there were over 6 billion people living here on this planet. Are you so conceited to think that your opinion is more important than all of theirs?

Now, I visited that link. After skimming through it(and after I finished laughing), I came to the conclusion that that person's opinion of a "real" man is based on a stereotype. Not all men are like that. And boy, am I glad for it!

Personally, I believe that a real man is someone who is mature enough to respect someone else's opinion without insulting them a la a ten-year-old or beating them up. It's men like you that give the rest of us a bad name.

By the way, some people don't like Contra III. How about that!
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"By the way, some people don't like Contra III. How about that!
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    BLASPHEMY!!!
  • Neon_tmNeon_tm Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    JAJAJAJA and here we come again...

I really,really don't think that just because all the latest characters suposedly look a like one from another, that's enough reason to say that all the latest final fantasy are Crap, like much of you guys are saying...

I really could care less if they look a like or not, because in the end even if they look a like they ARE NOT the same characters, and i want to see the diferent storys and new worls behind each new game even if all the latest male characters have or don't have the ""Square Sindrome""...

P.s: Saying that you don't like a game just because the character look a like one another or even worst yet because they look "girly", is like if you are not going to see a movie because the actors of that movie have already been in another movie you had seen before!!
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Demon_of_Elru @ Nov. 14 2003,17:34)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Please refrain from using the word "gay" in the fashion that you are. ?It makes look like a jack ass when you do. ?I don't see anything happy about the game either, so the traditional definition of gay wouldn't work in this case either.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

wtf!?!? Thats why I'm not using the traditional definition jack-ass.

I meant "gay" in the pansy, camp, queer, faggy type of gay. Because thats the way that best describes those characters. whats with everyone trying to hide this word? Shall I say another word? Since when has that word been so bad? I aint got nothing against gays, it just gets annoying when it starts taking over the RPG world.

Whats happened to having actual normal 'proper' men like, dark characters which may actually hold a true compelling story? why do they all have to be this faggy type character?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You disgust me. I want nothing to do with biased, bigoted scum like you.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • Quistis ChickQuistis Chick Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Hello all!

I'm a new member of the RPGamer staff (I wrote the Front Mission artcle. BOOYAH!), and I'm dropping my thoughts here. Nothing like letting you all judge me by my thoughts! OH YEAH!

Ahem, I think we all need to calm down, take a few soothing breaths, and take a look at what we have here. Okay, so the guy is a bit girly and the girl is a bit skanky. So what? Are there not skanks and girly-men in past titles? Did we not freak out when we first saw Yuna's short-shorts? Or get jealous at Squall's shiny, shiny hair?

See that? I just judged the new characters based off of one picture and what others have said. Not good! I need to wait to base my own opinions on them after I have played the game. It's really the only way to know for sure what I think about them. I may not like the art, but who's to say I won't like their personalities? Truth be told, I hated the way Lulu looked when I first saw her art, but she was my favorite girl in FFX.

So see, all our hateful words may have to be eaten! Blah! So let's just sit back and relax and watch the game unfold, shall we?

- Quistis Chick
  • sniffysniffy Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I couldn't be more pleased with the announcements. I think the characters look amazing. I am one of those FF purists who thought that FFVI was the best one, but I have to tell you a new creative team makes all the difference in the world.

First off, I am glad that "Yu Nomura" has finally stopped summoning typical japanimation stereotype characters. He should have never been allowed near the FF series. he is good at doing character designs for modern themed games, but as a Final Fantasy character designer, he really shredded the whole franchise. Akihiko Yoshida is much better suited to the task. I am glad to see real armor, and actual fantasy attire instead of regular clothing that looks like it came straight out of 1999 Tokyo. ?

For all those complaining about the main character being effeminate, He is only a child! I bet if you all dig out your old pictures, you will see that you all were quite girly and many of you probably had mullets to boot! So lay off the kid. I don't think he looks Gay, I think he looks more like some swedish child, like the kid from the Simpsons who is always eating chocolate. And the reason his cheeks seem chubby is beacuse he is eating some kind of fruit.

And what if he is "gay"? I hope so, because maybe then we can have a FF game where the main hero doesn't hook up with the main heroine, which is so overdone. Or maybe the heroine is gay? That would also eliminate the obligatory main character-healing ho pairing.Those of us who happen to like alternative storylines will have to wait for Suikoden 4, where the main character shares a "special relationship" with his friend Snow. I am a Yaoi/Shonen Ai fan, so of course I eat this stuff up.

Arche does NOT look like Yuna. She has chestnut hair, and brown eyes! These characters look like fantasy characters should look. Swords, armor, emels, shields, etc. the artists didn't need to draw a billion straps and metal zippers, because the characters themselves were designed well. ?As for Arche being slutty, c'mon, this is what happens when you use realistic CG. Square uses the same graphics engine and similar model making software to translate the character designs into CG. You can see that by looking at the games , and the FFVII movie. it's just how characters look when they are translated. the Xenosaga Episode II characters have a similar look to them, it is just how they look!

Nobody ever accused Celes from FFVI of being a slut(not to my knowledge anyway)and she was wearing a bathing suit and thigh highs! Whenever you use realistic CG animation, of course the people will seem realistic, and yes, unlike sprites, they will have secondary sex traits like nipples, buttocks, breasts, and defined legs! Arche is a warrior, so of course she is going to be wearing warrior garb. They couldn't just put her in panties(like Tyris Flare from Golden Axe) so they gave her the red mini skirt...what's the big deal?!

it is way too early to tell what the gameplay is like, but if the screens are any indication, then indeed we have our series back the way it should be. Not that FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, FFX were not great games, but the atmosphere was completely wrecked with the advent(no pun intended) of FFVII, and we could see that it kept going downhill further...until now.
  • wolfywoodwolfywood New Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Cant we all just live in peace? ?tounge.gif ?Anyway everyone bashing FFXII knows there gonna buy it anyway when it comes out. So why player hate?
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Quistis Chick @ Nov. 14 2003,19:21)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Hello all!

I'm a new member of the RPGamer staff (I wrote the Front Mission artcle. BOOYAH!), and I'm dropping my thoughts here. Nothing like letting you all judge me by my thoughts! OH YEAH!

Ahem, I think we all need to calm down, take a few soothing breaths, and take a look at what we have here. Okay, so the guy is a bit girly and the girl is a bit skanky. So what? Are there not skanks and girly-men in past titles? Did we not freak out when we first saw Yuna's short-shorts? Or get jealous at Squall's shiny, shiny hair?

See that? I just judged the new characters based off of one picture and what others have said. Not good! I need to wait to base my own opinions on them after I have played the game. It's really the only way to know for sure what I think about them. I may not like the art, but who's to say I won't like their personalities? Truth be told, I hated the way Lulu looked when I first saw her art, but she was my favorite girl in FFX.

So see, all our hateful words may have to be eaten! Blah! So let's just sit back and relax and watch the game unfold, shall we?

- Quistis Chick[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    but you like FFVIII so everything you say about RPG's must be taken with a grain of salt. :^]
  • wolfywoodwolfywood New Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Locke made a funny laugh.gif ?seriously man u made me laugh. FFVIII was'nt that bad but its my least fav my only dislike about is the damn wapon upgrade system! NO I DONT WANNA MAKE THE MONSTERS INTO CARDS mad.gif Plus summons made the game the easiest FF i ever played. Anyways the 19th is 5 days away until then lets debate.
    edited November 2003
    Sniffy, don't make such blanket statements. Nomura didn't wreck Final Fantasy with his "evil" character designs. As a matter of fact, Final Fantasy sold more copies over here when he was doing the art. You're entitled to your opinion, but please don't assume everyone else agrees with it.

As for you Locke, your troll comment isn't worthy of a rebut.

edited November 2003
    You know, it is distrubring to think how many people would overlook a game that was truly an excellent title if only for having a homosexual lead character.

The games may be maturing, but the audience has yet to follow suit, in some regards. Heaven forbid a game and it's characters mirror the social attitudes of the society in which one finds themself. That would be a bit too "sofist-a-ma-kated!"

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I really do feel that there are other things that are worth more time discussing...such as say, the art of the game, the story, the music...etc etc...granted, we don't know much about any of those just yet, but why this NEED to comment for the sake of doing so? Really, that is the only reason I can think of that sexuality has even been brought up: a lack of anything else to say but a fervent desire to say SOMETHING.

In the end, though, it really shouldn't matter if the character IS gay or not. It is also appaling that one can take a look at someone and say "Oh, why, you're gay! Look at that hair!" Just an extension of the need to condemn (and I use that term most loosely) in order to elevate oneself, I suppose. I won't get into that, though. Sufficed to say, it is silly to obsess over the sexuality of a fictional character to begin with; especially when that topic is not the focus or intent of the character's creator.

My girlfriend put it best when she told me: "Just shut up and play the damn game!" Sure, we were playing Soul Calibre II at the time, but I think it applied here, as well.
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Nov. 14 2003,19:48)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Sniffy, don't make such blanket statements. Nomura didn't wreck Final Fantasy with his "evil" character designs. As a matter of fact, Final Fantasy sold more copies over here when he was doing the art. You're entitled to your opinion, but please don't assume everyone else agrees with it.

As for you Locke, your troll comment isn't worthy of a rebut.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You should really take you own advice newbie, many people dislike the newer final fantasies....and any opinion given on the matter so far... you have had to counter and put in your two sense in a non-constructive way. So to quote you- "You're entitled to your opinion, but please don't assume everyone else agrees with it."

I dont hate newer Final Fanties out of spite, i genuinely dislike them. Stop trying to sound like your above and/or smarter than some people on this board....because in all likelyhood you are not.
  • theLegendtheLegend Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    What's everyone complaining about. It's usually the news of the year when news of the next Final Fantasy is released.
    I, for one, ame excited.

Even if the main character is a sissy, there will be cool characters to back him up; there have to be, it's Final Fantasy.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (-Locke- @ Nov. 14 2003,23:42)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Sniffy, don't make such blanket statements. Nomura didn't wreck Final Fantasy with his "evil" character designs. As a matter of fact, Final Fantasy sold more copies over here when he was doing the art. You're entitled to your opinion, but please don't assume everyone else agrees with it.

As for you Locke, your troll comment isn't worthy of a rebut.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You should really take you own advice newbie, many people dislike the newer final fantasies....and any opinion given on the matter so far... you have had to counter and put in your two sense in a non-constructive way. So to quote you- "You're entitled to your opinion, but please don't assume everyone else agrees with it."

I dont hate newer Final Fanties out of spite, i genuinely dislike them. Stop trying to sound like your above and/or smarter than some people on this board....because in all likelyhood you are not.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    There are just as many people who liked the newer FF's as well. ?In my opinion people give ther earlier games more praise than they deserve. ?I have played all the earlier games with the exception of II and III and I have to say that the only two that stick out in my mind are the original and VI. ?The other FF's are largely forgettable (especially V). ?I think the newer games are more memorable. ?I also think that you are the one acting like you are high and mighty.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MonCapitan2002 @ Nov. 14 2003,20:48)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Sniffy, don't make such blanket statements. Nomura didn't wreck Final Fantasy with his "evil" character designs. As a matter of fact, Final Fantasy sold more copies over here when he was doing the art. You're entitled to your opinion, but please don't assume everyone else agrees with it.

As for you Locke, your troll comment isn't worthy of a rebut.
    <span id='postcolor'>

I dont hate newer Final Fanties out of spite, i genuinely dislike them. Stop trying to sound like your above and/or smarter than some people on this board....because in all likelyhood you are not.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"There are just as many people who liked the newer FF's as well. ?In my opinion people give ther earlier games more praise than they deserve. ?I have played all the earlier games with the exception of II and III and I have to say that the only two that stick out in my mind are the original and VI. ?The other FF's are largely forgettable (especially V). ?I think the newer games are more memorable. ?I also think that you are the one acting like you are high and mighty.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes there are many people who like the newer final fantasies, a majority of them are age 18 and lower and the first one they played was VII-X. So frankly i dont see how they have a vote on what are the best in the series.

And think about this, do you remember anyone hating a Final Fantasy game back on NES or SuperNES days? i didnt think so. so yes there are people that like the newer ones....but just as many people dislike them...as opposed to a very smaller percentage with the earlier ones.

It all started with VII, as much as it did for RPG's getting more recognition and helping US to get more of them that previously wouldnt have been translated....it was really the beginning of the end for hardcore FF fans. The only two games i really liked that Square has released since then is Final Fantasy Tactics and Xenogears.

These are reasons why i primarily buy PC games now.

• bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (-Locke- @ Nov. 14 2003,21:00)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yes there are many people who like the newer final fantasies, a majority of them are age 18 and lower and the first one they played was VII-X. So frankly i dont see how they have a vote on what are the best in the series.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well clearly the earlier post was incorrect in thinking that you were acting high and mighty. So, basically what you're saying is that anyone who does not worship the earlier FF's(which most rpg fans already like so get off your damn high horse), they aren't even worth listening to in the first place, and add the fact that you're judging a game based on a few screenshots just proves what a wonderfully fair-minded person you are. Of course I'm just a stupid newbie so what do I know, right.
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
  • VixVix Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    The setting doesn't look too bad and it takes on a pretty fantasy style get up, I just hope this doesn't turn into a FFIX.

As far as the characters go, I just hope they don't look much like this in the game cause honestly I see way to much of Tidus in the guy and Yuna in the girl. While I guess this isn't bad it brings to much of FFX to mind and I think this shouldn't be the case as its suppose to be a totally seperate game.

The other thing I'm hoping on this game is for text instead of voices. I just don't want those voices, I didn't like FFX's voice acting at all, seemed to lack in some places. Has there been word that they'll be returning to the classic text style?
    edited November 2003
    I didn't say you hated the newer games out of spite. All I did was ask why you prefer the older ones to the newer ones. I wanted specific reasons. I still have not gotten an answer other than "I'm a hardcore fan so I know more than you do."

Please take that crap and shove it. There's no such thing as a "hardcore" fan.

The people who started playing at VII and beyond have just as much right to say "this is my favorite Final Fantasy" as you do. Just because they're younger doesn't mean they don't have a say.

I didn't mean to imply that I was smarter than anybody on this board. If it appeared that way to anybody, I humbly apologize. As a matter of fact, I believe that posters like MonCapitan and King Jowy are vastly more intelligent than I am. I just call it as I see it. Just because I'm a newbie doesn't mean what I say has any less worth than what you say. Unless there's a board rule I wasn't aware of...
  • Rematch NyHcRematch NyHc New Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    looks like ffx and will probably be just as bad
  • TadrithTadrith Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yes there are many people who like the newer final fantasies, a majority of them are age 18 and lower and the first one they played was VII-X. So frankly i dont see how they have a vote on what are the best in the series.

And think about this, do you remember anyone hating a Final Fantasy game back on NES or SuperNES days? i didnt think so. so yes there are people that like the newer ones....but just as many people dislike them...as opposed to a very smaller percentage with the earlier ones.

It all started with VII, as much as it did for RPG's getting more recognition and helping US to get more of them that previously wouldnt have been translated....it was really the beginning of the end for hardcore FF fans. The only two games i really liked that Square has released since then is Final Fantasy Tactics and Xenogears.

These are reasons why i primarily buy PC games now.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

... odd. That's why I'm nearly 23, and my first RPG was Dragon Warrior. After that, I played Final Fantasy I. You know something? There's no basis for age relating to whether or not you like the new Final Fantasy games. I find all of the new Final Fantasy games to be superior to that which came before them. The experience of new FFs to old is like that of reading an engaging novel to reading a newspaper clipping about the local Tiger that got loose from the zoo. The latter will entertain you, sure enough, but the former will do that and leave you with a much larger lasting impression.

If all you're looking for is gameplay, I think you belong with the FPS crowd. Maturity isn't a bad thing... though you wouldn't know it from the group this topic has attracted.

Of course you didn't hear about anyone hating the earlier Final Fantasies. Where would you hear about them? We already know that RPG fans are sparse in the real world, and the internet wasn't even close to what it is now. I mean... unless your mom hated it or something, you didn't hear about it, because there was NOBODY to share it with.