If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGamer's Game Page Design

StomStom MemberFull Members
edited August 2002 in Site & Forum Support
Since you guys, the readers, are the heart, soul, and lifeblood of RPGamer, I wanted to ask you about something.

We're looking to redesign our game pages, and I'm curious to see what you guys want to see. If you don't know exactly what I mean by a "game page", it is basically all the links that the games listings link to, such as Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle's page.

We've already got some good ideas that we're going to add when we do our next redesign, but I'm curious to see what you guys come up with. biggrin.gif

Comments

• Blair PendragonBlair Pendragon Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Actually, I like it the way it is, The last one, needed fixing, but In my opinion, it is fine. As long as it is orderly, and easy to find things. smile.gif
  • SeraphicLawSeraphicLaw Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Yes, it is just fine like it is. Everything is neat and organized, all the information is easy to fine.
  • Options
    edited August 2002
    it's good how it is in my eyes.
    Once a website starts getting way to graphical and starts having these wierd menus, people get thrown off and just leave.
    The way it is right now is perfect. However, ONE suggestion that needs to come out in the open is, the left side menu in the "game page". Where it says, publisher, release date, etc etc..It's alittle confusing
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    The only issue I have (and it's small) is that some game pages like Earthbound have a different set-up with a nasty green box containing links. Other than that 'tis wonderful! biggrin.gif
    edited August 2002
    Desh, You're crazy about EarthBound aren't cha? Heheh, I like EarthBound too. Alot of the lines that people say in the game is HILARIOUS!
  • StomStom Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Heh, perhaps I need to clarify a bit.

I was wondering not just about their layout but about the CONTENT that we include. We're not going to make them hugely flashy like other sites. We know that giving you guys the information you want is the best way to keep you coming back.

So, if you have any ideas on what we could add that we don't have right now, feel free to mention it either here or e-mail me at dhill@rpgamer.com if you don't feel like making your suggestions public.
    edited August 2002
    Hmm, since you have a fanart on that page, why don't you have another link to a fan fiction for each specific game?
  • StingrayStingray Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Take Seraphic Law's suggestion a bit further. ?Include a link to any resources on the site related to that game in the game page...fanfic, fan art, etc. ?

Link to the developers of the games as you list them (i.e., link to www.square.com or whatever in FF:CC where Square is listed); even the official web pages of the specific games, if they exist.

Expand the games page to include links to a specific post in a specially designated review forum on these board where gamers can write their own reviews of the games. ?This is easy enough to do where only RPGamer Staff can start the topic and registered members are only allowed to post replies in this forum.

Let's see...I'll let you digest that for now.

• Options
    edited August 2002
    - ?Add a section on the pages belonging to games within a series (Final Fantasy VII) that contains a list of links to the page's for other games within the same series (Final Fantasy I, II, III, etc).

- ?Give the average score the game was given by staff reviews and also the average score the game was given by reader reviews.

- ?Mention the game's visual style (3D, 2D, cell-shaded, polygonal, etc).

- ?Say whether the game is an MMORPG in a more particular way. ?If the game isn't an MMORPG, tell whether it holds capabilities for multi-player gaming.

That's all for now.

- Lyniad

• FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited August 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Stingray @ Aug. 16 2002,15:25)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Take Seraphic Law's suggestion a bit further. ?Include a link to any resources on the site related to that game in the game page...fanfic, fan art, etc.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    This is how it should work. ?However, some of our interaction sites are a tad behind. ?We're trying to amend this over time. :>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Link to the developers of the games as you list them (i.e.,link to www.square.com or whatever in FF:CC where Square is listed); even the official web pages of the specific games, if they exist.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I like this idea ^^ ?The problem with linking official sites for a specific game is they don't stay too long after the game is out, in most cases.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Expand the games page to include links to a specific post in a specially designated review forum on these board where gamers can write their own reviews of the games.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    RPGamer already has a reader review section, under Points of View. ?Did you mean something else?
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited August 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Desh @ Aug. 15 2002,16:38)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The only issue I have (and it's small) is that some game pages like Earthbound have a different set-up with a nasty green box containing links. ?Other than that 'tis wonderful! ?biggrin.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Some of the pages didn't have the specific HTML we were looking for with our Massive Page Conversion Scripts &#153;. I see Earthbound is one that never left the Teal Stage. As we redesign the game pages again, this time we will get them all the same. ;>
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • Options
    edited August 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FireMyst @ Aug. 20 2002,11:04)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Expand the games page to include links to a specific post in a specially designated review forum on these board where gamers can write their own reviews of the games.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    RPGamer already has a reader review section, under Points of View. ?Did you mean something else?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I think he was speaking of a forum that only has topics concerning the game in question. Making a Xenogears forum for Xenogears with threads like "You Review" and "Best Character" and so on. I like the idea. I think it would give a possible buyer of the game a more expansive base of opinion and take to work off of.

- Lyniad
  • StingrayStingray Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FireMyst @ Aug. 20 2002,08:04)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Expand the games page to include links to a specific post in a specially designated review forum on these board where gamers can write their own reviews of the games.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    RPGamer already has a reader review section, under Points of View. ?Did you mean something else?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, that's what I meant, yes. But there could be some tighter integration of the site with these boards with regard to reader reviews.

On a related note (maybe), the Points of View section is itself, in my opinion, ugly. It's also a bit confusing, though this could be fixed with the correction of broken links.