If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

New Final Fantasy XII Details Emerge

2»

Comments

• Demon_of_ElruDemon_of_Elru Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Will the characters have voices?

I aint read anything saying they will..... it would really help if they didn't. I dont wanna even imagine what the main characters English voice would be like..... add that to the already stupid character design then thats a loosing combo in my opinion.
  • ladystrifeladystrife New Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    ... Am I the only one who thinks Van looks like Michael Jackson...?

eh.gif

Creepy..
  • HarryCareyHarryCarey Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Demon_of_Elru @ Nov. 19 2003,12:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Will the characters have voices?

I aint read anything saying they will..... it would really help if they didn't. I dont wanna even imagine what the main characters English voice would be like..... add that to the already stupid character design then thats a loosing combo in my opinion.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    i haven't heard anything about voices, so far... and i hope i don't hear anymore. while square enix has made a couple games now with worthwhile voice acting, i always thought that the lack of it (leaving the reader with just plain text) added to the uniqueness of the final fantasy series. why listen when we can just read?

this isn't to say that the voice acting in ff10 was bad, though. yay for... bender and his wakka impression! *clapclap*
  • Sonny CaesarSonny Caesar Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Yes, it contains voice-acting.
  • Neon_tmNeon_tm Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    If you go to the Ign page all of you can see a lot more pictures, a third character (from what the ign staff said she is the one on the first picture to the left, the one with white hair, she uses an arc like Legolas, you can se her in several of the battle pictures) and a better detailed story Background

Go here

The pictures look kind of bad focused because they taked Photos on the FFXII Trailer but better than anything

P.S: some of the things that you can see in the pictures look kinda cool, and Vann looks a lot less femenine in this pictures

• Demon_of_ElruDemon_of_Elru Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I posted this on another site, but I just wanted to see what others views where on the topic.

"The point I was trying to make, was that you dont NEED to go all out with fancy voice acting or spend the amount of money it takes for the voices to create a great RPG EVERY GAME. Recent great RPGs such as Suikoden III, which was IMO a truely great RPG was an example of this in todays 'voiced games'. You could fit alot more space in the game if you removed the voices. Again I thought FFX could have been a much more interesting game if it where text based.

Overall, I just wanted to point out that, not every-game needs to be voice acted just because you have the ability to do so. I think its about finding a ballance inbetween. Like for example, I thought voice acting the Xenosaga series is an excellent idea because of the way the game is presented and the style it is played in. Also because of the themes the story brings-up. The actual voice acting itself was not the best I've heard, but it was pulled-off, it actually got better as the game went on"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"... Am I the only one who thinks Van looks like Michael Jackson...?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

OMG!! He DOES look like Michael Jackson!! I've just looked at the large character pic on IGN............. that is really wierd. They have the same eyes.. wow.gif

• JessiahJessiah Banned Banned Users
    edited November 2003
    I really hate when people misinterpret my posts... First off
    Phosphene- If you read carefully I said "The increasing amount" I realized that that sort of thing was there before but now they are really overdoing it. You also misunderstood this whole "races" thing. Im not complaining that they are there but it was an unoriginal move. And incase you didnt read Chocos post that was the point of the list, to point out all the unoriginal and questionable trends that the ff series is taking.

And Devil may care... I was talking about the trends of the series in general not a specific series. And for the both of you I said that Ivalice itself is boring, I like the games but the world of Ivalice it self is basically 1300's Europe.
    Bla bla bla my English must suck,because people constantly misundestand my posts.
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    Jeux-france.com posted the video for those interested
    FFXII Video page

MasterFei

• MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"... Am I the only one who thinks Van looks like Michael Jackson...?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

That's exactly what I thought when I first saw Vaan. But I remember when I got my first look at FFX I thought Yuna and Tidus looked like Rinoa and a blonde Squall.
  • PhospheneHereticPhospheneHeretic Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    By 'really overdoing it', I assume you are referring only to FFX2 and the two characters you have seen from FF12. ?So, that's like, what, seven or eight characters you can pull from the most recent Final Fantasy games that have scantily clad characters, be they male or female? ?You're just scrounging for reasons to justify your complaints at this point. ?I also like how you deem Square's decisions 'questionable' or 'unoriginal', especially in the area of adding the other races. ?You have two options in this area. ?Multiple races, or one race. ?In fact, the only thing I can glean from the article regarding the game's races is simply that they are there. ?The only one making any sort of a fuss over their presence is you. ?Square has not paraded around proclaiming that the multiple races in their game is going to be a huge focal point of the story, or that it is some brilliant innovation, but you would paint it out to be an issue of such a magnitude that it is worth pointing out as a disturbing flaw. ?It was the author of the article who pointed out that there were multiple races, two of which were drawn from Tactics Advance. ?You may as well complain that there are humans in the games, and that they were ripped off of reality.

The problem, Jessiah, is not people misinterpreting your posts. ?It's that your blithering isn't exactly coherent in the points it tries to communicate, nor is it well thought out, much like another poster we had here some time ago who thought he communicated himself in a cogent fashion.

• RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Anyone found a copy of the gameplay flick that doesn't have the sound skipping so bad? At first I thought it was just buffering issues, but it skips in the exact same places. It's so bad that I finally had to turn the sound off just to watch it without being distracted by how bad it was.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • Neon_tmNeon_tm Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Vann look like Michael Jackson?confused.gif

You must really getting out of ideas to bash the final fantasy series!!

I think that in the images that ign put he looked manly enough (at least a lot more than in the Artworks)..

Nobody has said anything about the new character that they showed at ign, what do you all say abou her!!

P.s: Thanks a lot Master fei for putting the link to the FFXII trailer!!
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Jessiah - your post has been deleted as it has no relevance whatsoever to this topic. If you'd like to badmouth a fellow boardie, whether or not it's justified, kindly do it in query.
    Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    Np Neon

I hate those peeps late for the show tho... they hide some of the movie parts... confused.gif

MasterFei
  • LenLen Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I just watched the video from Jeux-france.com and... I simply can't believe how 'crappy' Vaan looks! Right now... he's really making this game seem less interesting. To think they could make such a 'discusting' character... I simply can't believe it.

... unfreakin' believable. confused.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Guttermouth @ Nov. 19 2003,08:17)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Hmm, seems like Square's trying something new with bringing 12 to Ivalice... kinda cool though smile.gif I can't say I'm not looking forward to it...

And the new shot of Ashe makes her look a hell of a lot less like Yuna in the face. That's still quite the skirt though. o.O[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    No, actually, that's not quite the skirt. I think it needs a few more inches before it can even be considered a skirt at all. I mean, that's barely even clothing.
    Ashe is hot, though. Especially blonde.
  • ZedZed Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Gamespot speaks more about FFXII...

The Judges are indeed a part of this game, which is what is in the logo. However their roles are different from FFTA.

Voice acting is being used.

The environments will be fully 3D, so you will have control of the camera angles and such.

They speak about trying to achieve FFX style graphics but with fewer polygons, as for a certain system they wish to invoke, they could not do with such a high polygon rate. Perhaps this is something like equipement wornn actually changing the appearance of the character model? I mean, in some of the shots the characters have swords and shields on them.

Apparently some of the airships in this game will be HUGE.
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2003
    Probably random, but interesting thing to point out.

Not only has it been confirmed that this is the exact same world as the other Ivalice worlds in FFT and FFTA, but there might be one more game connected to this world...

A nation in FF12 is called Valendia. The classic game Vagrant Story (made by the same director/producer) took place in a knigdom called Valendia, with Ashley being a member of the VKP, the Valendia Knights of the Peace.

And FFTA Judges are back in a new incarnation known as the "Knights of Terror". They are even important enough to be on the game's main logo.

The same director as Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story, and the same world too. I am officially hyped now.

Need to buy FFX-2 to burn up some of this hype on a game I can actually play.
  • XIONXION Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I dunno, but this game looks cool. this game kinda reminds of ff11, with the Countries fighting against each other. ethier way anything with airships and war is gonna be great for me. Aspect for the main character he looks kinda dumb, but so did Tidus and I still liked that game.
  • Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Martyr @ Nov. 19 2003,21:16)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"... Am I the only one who thinks Van looks like Michael Jackson...?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

That's exactly what I thought when I first saw Vaan. But I remember when I got my first look at FFX I thought Yuna and Tidus looked like Rinoa and a blonde Squall.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I thought of that too. >_<

And in FFX, they really looked like Squall and Rinoa in the first movie shown. Specially that their hair was black too. Them they modified the hair a little and dyed it. But they were probably the same "actors". tounge.gif
    PSN ID: MaxDeltree
  • AaediyenAaediyen Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    In Square-Enixs' defence it is very difficult to make rendered character models look different. They probably use the same base model for all the characters and just a adjust a few facial features. Maybe they should show us some hand drawings instead so we can get it in our head that the characters look different.

I drew this signature for my Ever Quest forums in 3DS Max. But since I use the same base male model for other projects, all the men sort of look alike.
  • ZedZed Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Hmm, I had forgotten about Valendia being related to Vagrant Story. Though I would prefer a sequel to VS than it be used in something else, it does seem rather cool. However They could simply be using the country name and nothing more.

Also, saw the trailer for FFXII...looks good so far, shows what looks like a Judge, who could also be the figure in the logo. He was pretty cool.

~Z
  • DisasterChild8DisasterChild8 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I really hope that the game isn't related (beyond names of course) to FFT, FFTA or VS. I haven't beaten any of those games and i would be pretty disappointed if i had to hold off on playing FF12 until those games are finished.

Also, i'm slightly dissapointed with the storyline. I'm not a very politically minded person, and i don't follow storylines such as this very well. Hopefully it will be easy enough to follow... sad.gif

Edit: just a small typo

• PhospheneHereticPhospheneHeretic Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Well, I wouldn't imagine that it would be related to the original Tactics unless countries are now magically growing into planets, in which case I think I'd carefully monitor my purchasing of Square Enix products. I can't say the same for Tactics Advance, though, because I haven't played it. If the actual planet is Ivalice in Advance, there may be a link, but if it's still the country, then I'd say with certainty we're looking at similarities in name only. Then again, I don't put it beyond any entertainment developer to throw a weird kink in what would be a reasonable product.
  • DisasterChild8DisasterChild8 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    if there is a link i bet it would be similar to the link found in the Wild Arms series. Even if that was all, i would still feel compelled to play the other games.
  • theLegendtheLegend Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    The first time that I read the names, I was reminded of Skies of Arcadia for some reason.

First thing I read about the character Vaan in this topic is that he wants to be an air pirate; I thought this is really starting to remind me of Skies of Arcadia.
    Second thing I read was "Kingdom of Arcadia."

Does anybody else have a headache.